I got lucky ... aswell!

Lasse
Fantasy
2940th
5/3/2018 11:39am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2018 2:04pm
Finally I'm one of the lucky people on the internet!

Last saturday I was testriding my Husqvarna CR250 '80, before the national championship, which was due on the following day.

The week leading up to that had been hectic. A nut on the clutchbasket had come loose and interfered with the large primary gear of the clutch... and the crankcase. By luck I had stopped to adjust my front brake lever, only to see oil being squirted out of the casing.

3 days later and I had an enginecase express-shipped from Sweden and, so now it was operation time! It got together well and all, but on the track at load, I couldn't shift gears. Turns out there is a very specific gearselector timing that needs to be adressed, which I hadn't a clue about.

Back to last Saturday, the bike had been running strong and as I pulled up by my trailer, the bike went out. I didn't think much of it, but I wanted to start it again, juuust to be sure.

Kicking it over a few times and the engine locked up.

The next day I drove out to a competent friend to have a look at it. We split the cases and couldn't find anything wrong. There were however a few metal pieces lodged in the piston crown and a little chip removed from the piston, but other than that, no visible damage. The crank turned over good with no play as it only had 3 hrs. on it.

We put everything back together, when I found a hairline fracture in the cage of the lower rod bearing. I poked it abit and the cage came apart, which is how it could have locked up the engine by getting caught in the crankshaft web.

Now where is the luck in all this? It'll come!

Having to replace the rod, piston and splitting the engine again, I began researching the possibility of upgrading the engine to a larger displacement. Luckily the 250 '80 shares enginecases with the 390 '80. I have a good supplier of new and used parts that got me set up with exhaust, crank and topend. I thought I was well on my way into Husqvarna-hapiness again.

Until yesterday, when a bike on Facebook is being advertised at the same price I had paid for parts I'd just found. So of course I had to have it! I discovered it while being at work and immediately contacted the seller and arranged for a 400km trip after work.

So now instead of a halfbroken 250, I now have 2 390cc Husqvarnas, how nice is that? I've always dreamt of having two identical bikes!
|
RyanLester761
5/4/2018 1:38pm
Awesome man! Good score and nicely worded story. The new bike is a runner?
Lasse
Fantasy
2940th
5/5/2018 1:25pm
Awesome man! Good score and nicely worded story. The new bike is a runner?
Unfortunately, the crank-end on the ignitionside has sheared off. Its a LH-thread so I wouldn't be surprised if someone had taken an airhammer to it and spun it the wrong way.
a22
5/5/2018 1:36pm
That looks nice.Did Huskies of this era have Ohlins as standard?
Lasse
Fantasy
2940th
5/5/2018 1:43pm
a22 wrote:
That looks nice.Did Huskies of this era have Ohlins as standard?
Yes that was all original Smile

The Shop

a22
5/5/2018 1:55pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2018 2:10pm
Think I read in an old test article/ shootout that they rated the slightly later Huskies twin shocks (Ohlins etc) setup , actually as good, or even better than some of the Japanese etc single shock setups. Not sure if that included the Full Floater though.
Think also the 390 was very well thought of also as a really good all round bike- maybe wrong just going on memory and what I thought I read.
Didn't they make an 'Auto' 390 or something also?

... just remembered I had a 1983 250 Husky- think the first year they went to white colour- never rode it though, was a project / non runner but flipped it soon after.
Lasse
Fantasy
2940th
5/5/2018 2:17pm
a22 wrote:
Think I read in an old test article/ shootout that they rated the slightly later Huskies twin shocks (Ohlins etc) setup , actually as good, or...
Think I read in an old test article/ shootout that they rated the slightly later Huskies twin shocks (Ohlins etc) setup , actually as good, or even better than some of the Japanese etc single shock setups. Not sure if that included the Full Floater though.
Think also the 390 was very well thought of also as a really good all round bike- maybe wrong just going on memory and what I thought I read.
Didn't they make an 'Auto' 390 or something also?

... just remembered I had a 1983 250 Husky- think the first year they went to white colour- never rode it though, was a project / non runner but flipped it soon after.
That is also what I have heard. I can't say anything about the 390cc as I've actually never ridden one Smile The 390 did come as an auto, I think they're very sought after.

Post a reply to: I got lucky ... aswell!

The Latest