How fast was your High School?

Anonymous (not verified)
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:15pm
El Camino High in Woodland Hills where I went for awhile had Bultaco's Kenny Zahrt and CZ's Greg Robertson. Plus a bunch of other racers...
|
jimmie
9/6/2010 3:32pm
At my high school (Paramount H.S.) we actually held motocross races on the campus, years 1974 & 1975
How cool was that? I raced my 1971 CT1C Yamaha 175 sans lights of course. Earned second place by golly!
One cat had a Monark 125, with a Sachs motor.
Another guy raced the first mono shock Yamaha (1975) OMG, everyone thought he had an unfair advantage over the whoops.

Didn't know at the time just how cool that was.

Tires were used to map out the course, which consisted of two flat landing four foot jumps, a twenty foot long section of whoops ( or "stutter bumps" as to which they were referred to back in the day ), several corners and and chicane section. All of which on a bed of nicely groomed grass.

So I say I attended the fastest high school.

Oh and around that same time there was a guy by the name of Mike Bell who lived down the street from me in Lakewood.
9/6/2010 3:54pm
I went to high school with Steve Martin, Joe Cartier and Rocky Brunette, i raced also but wasnt even close to there league,, Steve was a 2 time Japanese National MX champ, Joe was a multi time winter series champ on minis and bigger bikes, Rocky was the 1976 NML winter series champ in the 175 class, they did a story about us in the school newspaper about us racing and i went from a no body to somebody over night lol

At another rival high school (Seminole High) Was where Kippy Pierce, Harold Buckingham and Freddy Vanwaggoner went, Karl Jordan went to Pinellas Park High, which wasnt built yet when Stevie, Joe , Rocky and I went to High school.

Me and Joe Cartier also went to Pinellas Park middle school, and about half a block down from it was where Monte Mccoy lived with his dad.
mx400bee
9/6/2010 4:52pm
oldschoolmxr, did a fellow named Franky Johnson come from that area. I know he raced for Barney`s in the early 70`s and flat hauled ass. He was so short you couldn`t tell when he was standing but usually won whenever I saw him race.

The Shop

9/6/2010 5:10pm
Cool picture of Todd Hempstead as a kid, and Joe Cartier, and John Olten, i didnt know the other guys but Joey and John sure had some funky hair lol
and the bottom picture of Bill West handing out trophys, cool stuff, you showed me that picture once project and i emailed it to(hope you dont mind i did that) Joey and he was like dam where did you dig that up from, i said a friend on VitalMx.

mx400bee, i knew almost all the guys that raced for Barneys Yamaha, but dont remember Franky Johnson, but if he raced for Barneys he had to have been really good.
PN27416
9/7/2010 5:27am
It was me and my buddy so not so fast.
DANIELINS
9/7/2010 12:23pm
At my high school, Birmingham in van nuys we had: the hatleys (john and mark)...johnny o'mara, the bast brothers (national speedway champions)...the delatore's (owned mid valley cz)....oh and not moto related....the jackson 5......chris hanson (to catch a predator)...sally field...
wownd out
9/7/2010 2:33pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2010 2:35pm
Sonora high in LaHabra,ca. We had Jeff Matiasevich and Charlie Osterday, Osterday was just pretty much a local pro, but we all know how famous Chicken was!.
toby lawes
9/7/2010 4:18pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2010 4:30pm
wownd out wrote:
Sonora high in LaHabra,ca. We had Jeff Matiasevich and Charlie Osterday, Osterday was just pretty much a local pro, but we all know how famous Chicken...
Sonora high in LaHabra,ca. We had Jeff Matiasevich and Charlie Osterday, Osterday was just pretty much a local pro, but we all know how famous Chicken was!.
my high school was canyon high school in canyoun country ca.. such riders as mouse mcoy - mike kiedrowski bobby more - willy sarratt i think?? troy welty - eric hallgath 4 time b2v winner -jn roberts son jimmy roberts and my self toby lawes aka (SNAKE) #23 LOL!!!!

bigmaico
9/8/2010 4:14am
I went to Mayfair High in Lakewood,Ca we had Mike Bell & Cliff Hicks ( local pro) & a bunch of fast intermediates, & 1 really slooow guy---Me!
anniebertmojo
9/8/2010 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2010 7:54pm
Juan "the burrito" Benavidez and a bunch of local /decent Int. riders at Rowland High School - Rowland Heights, CA
Bill163
9/8/2010 6:53pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2010 6:55pm
Workman HS in Industry,ca we had Bill Fancher super fast Pro on XR 75's.Hayward Flynt a fast local CMC pro. Kavin Bowden another good local pro and a bunch of slower slugs like me but we had game..

Plus we had PK Racing down the street from the School.
HuskyEd
9/9/2010 6:32pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2010 6:38pm
Sylmar High - We mainly had pro BMX'ers - Booby Encinas, Dan Garcher, Marvin Church and Bill Wouda. All you valley guys remember BMX in the basement of Lemon Tree Bazarre?

The only pro class MXer I can think of is Dan "Haystack" Whitlock.
DJ KC
Fantasy
550th
9/22/2010 7:21am
Here's one for you , oldschoolmxer. [IMG]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j140/projectracer/scan0010.jpg[/IMG]
Here's one for you , oldschoolmxer.

Great photo... I remember this... Seeing Greg Gorden on the left, I was really good friends with Greg... He use to own the MX track in Valdosta, Ga. and owned Yamaha of Valdosta. Greg did a lot for MX in South Ga. and North Fl.

The bottom photo of Alan that now owns the track in Hillard... we use to do a lot of riding together at the old Action Park Raceway, just north of Jacksonville. Those were some great times, Alan, along with Fred Simpson, David Shields, Philip Johns, Mark Midford, the Langfords, Alan Lucy, Wade Brown and lot of other fast North Florida racers... Most any given time, you would always see them at Action Park riding.
motogeeze
9/23/2010 6:32pm
Campbell High school in Fairburn Ga, alma mater of "Bad" Brad Wallace and Billy "Kawboy" Liles, and of course ... moi...lol....we never had hs mx per se but I always envied the west coast guys that had that chance...
9/23/2010 7:22pm
Here's one for you , oldschoolmxer. [IMG]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j140/projectracer/scan0010.jpg[/IMG]
Here's one for you , oldschoolmxer.

DJ KC wrote:
Great photo... I remember this... Seeing Greg Gorden on the left, I was really good friends with Greg... He use to own the MX track in...
Great photo... I remember this... Seeing Greg Gorden on the left, I was really good friends with Greg... He use to own the MX track in Valdosta, Ga. and owned Yamaha of Valdosta. Greg did a lot for MX in South Ga. and North Fl.

The bottom photo of Alan that now owns the track in Hillard... we use to do a lot of riding together at the old Action Park Raceway, just north of Jacksonville. Those were some great times, Alan, along with Fred Simpson, David Shields, Philip Johns, Mark Midford, the Langfords, Alan Lucy, Wade Brown and lot of other fast North Florida racers... Most any given time, you would always see them at Action Park riding.
DJ, that is Don Kudalski and Bill West in the bottom photo.

Alan? Alan Ashlock? Didn't he promote races at Orlando Sports Stadium?

You remember North Florida Raceway in Palm Valley? Pat Ray? Rhett Radford?

They held the first Florida Winter/Mini Olympics there in '74, I belive it was.

Also remember a big Minicycle race at Durham's Cycle Park right by the St.Johns river off Atlantic Blvd in Jacksonville around '73. Durham Parker also owned a Hodaka shop just past Seminole Blvd on Atlantic, not far from the beach.

He rented Hodaka's at the park. The Navy guys from Mayport would come out and rent them a Super Rat or Ace 90 for the day. I would hook up with a pack of them out in the trails in the park. They made for some good riding buddies.

Those guys would just thrash those old Hodie's, in their navy blue dungaries and shirts.

Post a reply to: How fast was your High School?

The Latest