How Cagiva WMX 500 was like

BigAl
8/24/2014 6:00pm
In a nutshell they bought husky in 1987, I think in order to obtain an instant dealer franchise, parts network and name brand recognition. The bikes transformed from red to white in 1988 and by 1990 cagiva was now husky made in italy.

I have a 1990 Husky WXE 125 that has Cagiva stamped all over it
wpark89
8/26/2014 2:42pm
I had to tell this story so many times last weekend. People make comments about Cagiva going out of business. ...When really it was husqvarna sweden that closed up and cagiva italy just continued and used the husky name. And now Ktm took over husky...which was really cagiva...its confusing.
8/30/2014 5:49am
alien wrote:
Is that fred andrews, greg quadar and steve carter also ? Who is the kawasaki support guy and the other riders?
Team Green is Jose Gonzalez. Bother of Mercedes Gonzalez.
The guy on the left in black is Lee McCollum with Dunlop at the time. He has worked for Team Suzuki for a long time.
MAGOO85
8/30/2014 4:15pm
mosslander wrote:
I saw Cagiva has made a 500 mx bike and wondering if someone had tried this and how it was like and that must be a...
I saw Cagiva has made a 500 mx bike and wondering if someone had tried this and how it was like and that must be a rare bike and hard to find I think?
Super Rare even here in europe i think only made for one year Pekka Vekhonen World 125 champion at the motocross des nations launched his Cagiva 500 off a jump and went backwards into the crowd . I dont think anyone was hurt .

The Shop

vmx3
11/4/2014 8:07am
Craze wrote:
Ron Turner raced one in the 86 Golden State series with decent results
I have the WMX125 that Ron Turner rode in '85
BigAl
11/5/2014 7:09pm
Craze wrote:
vmx3 wrote:
Anything trick or just pipe/porting?

Can you post some pics?
vmx3
11/6/2014 5:51am

From the outside it looks like it was pretty stock, supposedly the 'Factory" mod was just porting in the cylinder but I haven't taken it apart yet, so I can't say what it looks like compared to a stocker. I have had it since 2004 and it was locked up when I got it, I haven't gotten to do anything with it yet because I have gotten side tracked with other restorations and racing etc. but I have been buying parts and pieces that it needs over the years so at some point I will get to it.

wpark89
11/6/2014 9:06am
Rory...

I'm pretty sure you're going to be busy with yz 490s the rest of your life and should just make me a package deal on all your Cagiva stuff.
vmx3
11/6/2014 10:13am
oh hell no dude, I WILL get to them, Im just saving the best for last, I only have a couple anyways Wink
BigAl
11/6/2014 1:03pm
Pretty sweet!

DId the super trick swingarm defense and chain guide come from Italy?
CagivaWMX
11/6/2014 7:02pm
Craze wrote:
vmx3 wrote:
BigAl wrote:
Anything trick or just pipe/porting?

Can you post some pics?
Here is what the port specs are most likely. Would be interesting to know if its different from what Cagiva published

rmpilot
11/6/2014 7:47pm
vmx3 wrote:
oh hell no dude, I WILL get to them, Im just saving the best for last, I only have a couple anyways Wink
how many bikes do you have? it seems like a new one pops up every time
vmx3
11/7/2014 8:59am
BigAl wrote:
Pretty sweet!

DId the super trick swingarm defense and chain guide come from Italy?
haha I doubt it very much
vmx3
11/7/2014 9:01am
vmx3 wrote:
rmpilot wrote:
I have no idea, I tried to count them a few years ago and it maybe 65+ but they are not all runners but about 30 or so are, some are awaiting restoration and some may end up just being parts bikes for projects.
11/8/2014 12:29am
vmx3 wrote:
rmpilot wrote:
vmx3 wrote:
I have no idea, I tried to count them a few years ago and it maybe 65+ but they are not all runners but about 30...
I have no idea, I tried to count them a few years ago and it maybe 65+ but they are not all runners but about 30 or so are, some are awaiting restoration and some may end up just being parts bikes for projects.
Oh dude, you got all the bikes, all the money, all the looks and all friends. How u have time to work?
vmx3
11/10/2014 6:41am
rmpilot wrote:
vmx3 wrote:
I have no idea, I tried to count them a few years ago and it maybe 65+ but they are not all runners but about 30...
245 wrote:
Oh dude, you got all the bikes, all the money, all the looks and all friends. How u have time to work?
I dunno about all that but I do know a bad dude down in Marietta that raced for the factories in the 80's and 90's :p
5/13/2017 3:20am
I had a support ride from Cagiva from '84 to '86. Started with the interesting WMX 250 (190) and then in '85 got my WMX 500 still in the crate. Picked it up from the warehouse in Torrance. Was even told that the crate might have contraband sunglasses stowed away - no such luck.

Out of the crate it wasn't that great for the Open Intermediate class. A crazed Italian back at the warehouse did a porting job, a hand made pipe made by the guy who made pipes for Wheelsmith Motorcycles, and suspension advice from Terry Varner who was Ron Turner's mechanic at the time. The bike turned into a proper beast with smooth power - just lots of it. I had to seriously build up my upper body strength as I kept falling off the back. Once all settled in I loved the bike.

After about six months I started to blow rear hubs. The bearing on the sprocket side kept breaking through the hub. I went through five different designs of rear hub, with one lasting about 20 minutes. One bearing just wasn't enough to support it. The only other reliability problem I had was it started to pop out of gear between 2nd and 3rd.

My last race on the bike was in '87. The rear hub broke on landing from a big jump which then locked the rear wheel. Lets just say that I'm surprised that I have a daughter. My brother is storing the bike, maybe I should look into going and getting it.
vmx3
6/5/2017 12:42pm
At the first round of Midwest VMX at Wabash IN. there was a dude racing a WMX500 a couple of weeks back, the thing sounded awesome and the dude was riding it really well.

7/10/2019 12:59pm
Fraser wrote:
Hey! Cagiva 500! I raced one here in the UK in 85- [img]https://idology.co.uk/stuff/oldo2.jpg[/img] It was tough to kick over maybe thats why they broke kickstarts. As...
Hey! Cagiva 500! I raced one here in the UK in 85-

It was tough to kick over maybe thats why they broke kickstarts. As mentioned before the forks let it down, soft flexy wimpy things but the motor was a monster. With a lightly built teenager on board the thing would flip straight over backwards in any gear if you gave it too much throttle. I read a few articles saying it put out the most power of any production 500 and I can believe it. Big size and weight made it hard work to get round a track fast on. Check out the factory Cagiva Arai helmet!!!

I rode lots of other Cagivas from 81 - 87 125's and 250's. Still have a nice red 82 wmx125 in the shed, never ride though as its pretty much impossible to fix if it breaks.

I also turned my Yamaha 250F into a Cagiva a few years ago- lol it was amazing how many people thought Cagiva were making new bikes again-

That top picture looks like David Denley RIP to me ?, he was a protégé to Dave Thorpe at one time, rode for Mike carter UK importer at the time, I think he committed suicide poor lad, were you his team mate ?
7/10/2019 2:02pm
Those were cool bikes. A friend raced one in 1985 in New England Sr. class part of the year but was injured. The worst bike had to be their 200/190? I think it was. Spokes seemed to break like crazy.
Robgvx
7/11/2019 1:56pm
Hamster 75 wrote:
That top picture looks like David Denley RIP to me ?, he was a protégé to Dave Thorpe at one time, rode for Mike carter UK...
That top picture looks like David Denley RIP to me ?, he was a protégé to Dave Thorpe at one time, rode for Mike carter UK importer at the time, I think he committed suicide poor lad, were you his team mate ?
David was tragically murdered by his girlfriend’s ex. So sad.
7/11/2019 2:46pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2019 1:57pm
Hamster 75 wrote:
That top picture looks like David Denley RIP to me ?, he was a protégé to Dave Thorpe at one time, rode for Mike carter UK...
Robgvx wrote:
Gosh now you've said, I remember yes really sad,
I had said I think, because I wasn't sure what happened so long ago, but your right tragic, he was a top rider, David RIP

I know he had a fair bit to do with Dave Thorpe, I think the picture above is of him but again I could be mistaken, but that picture was in my minds eye, shell oils British championship
Sparky_27
7/14/2019 11:58am
Hamster 75 wrote:
Robgvx wrote:
Hamster 75 wrote:
Gosh now you've said, I remember yes really sad, I had said I think, because I wasn't sure what happened so long ago, but your right...
I had said I think, because I wasn't sure what happened so long ago, but your right tragic, he was a top rider, David RIP

I know he had a fair bit to do with Dave Thorpe, I think the picture above is of him but again I could be mistaken, but that picture was in my minds eye, shell oils British championship
I think the rider is Paul Hunt.
But as Rob said David was killed by his girlfriends ex😢.
7/15/2019 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2019 1:56pm
Robgvx wrote:
Hamster 75 wrote:
Gosh now you've said, I remember yes really sad, I had said I think, because I wasn't sure what happened so long ago, but your right...

Sparky_27 wrote:
I think the rider is Paul Hunt.
But as Rob said David was killed by his girlfriends ex😢.
That's it your spot on its Paul Hunt, Denley's team mate
vmx3
7/16/2019 9:02am
Those were cool bikes. A friend raced one in 1985 in New England Sr. class part of the year but was injured. The worst bike had...
Those were cool bikes. A friend raced one in 1985 in New England Sr. class part of the year but was injured. The worst bike had to be their 200/190? I think it was. Spokes seemed to break like crazy.
The 190 is not a bad bike at all, I think it got bad press because it was labeled as a 250 and was down 60cc on every other 250, fun bike with a great sound.
12/16/2021 5:25pm
Fraser wrote:
Hey! Cagiva 500! I raced one here in the UK in 85- [img]https://idology.co.uk/stuff/oldo2.jpg[/img] It was tough to kick over maybe thats why they broke kickstarts. As...

It was tough to kick over maybe thats why they broke kickstarts. As mentioned before the forks let it down, soft flexy wimpy things but the motor was a monster. With a lightly built teenager on board the thing would flip straight over backwards in any gear if you gave it too much throttle. I read a few articles saying it put out the most power of any production 500 and I can believe it. Big size and weight made it hard work to get round a track fast on. Check out the factory Cagiva Arai helmet!!!

I rode lots of other Cagivas from 81 - 87 125's and 250's. Still have a nice red 82 wmx125 in the shed, never ride though as its pretty much impossible to fix if it breaks.

I also turned my Yamaha 250F into a Cagiva a few years ago- lol it was amazing how many people thought Cagiva were making new bikes again-

Hamster 75 wrote:
Yes , the great David Denly , a great young talent , with everything to live for ! He was murdered in a love triangle relationship , that rocked the UK mx scene , and made front page headlines in national newspapers , he was going to be a future world champion , he did not commit suicide , he had everything to live for , I was lucky enough to meet him the week before his death , he was loving his life , and his racing .
Fraser
1/13/2022 6:05am
Fraser wrote:

Hamster 75 wrote:
Not a full team member, but we did get the bike, team kit etc from Mike Carter. Remember going to a British Championship meeting at Foxhill to watch as I was recovering from knee surgery. We met Mike Carter and came home with a 500, a 125 and all the Clover team kit. The Team Cagiva Arai helmets were very cool and extremely rare.

Post a reply to: How Cagiva WMX 500 was like

The Latest