Hangtown 30 years ago

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:41am
[img:807fe]http://homepage.mac.com/stusiak/.Pictures/2006%20Old%20School/crop0005…]

Little background; some of this will be old news to people who have read it before. I posting it first on MT, because MT was the first board I found a home at years ago, and then at MD and MXI.

My pop took me to my first MX in 1971, a Trans AMA at Carnegie Cycle Park when I was 13 years old. We hit the Nor Cal Trans AMA round every year after that until 1979, when the series had run its course. Still, it wasn’t until 1976, when I had my own wheels, that I made the trek out east of Sacramento to my first MX National race, the traditional Hangtown opening round at Plymouth, California. So, the race this Sunday will be my own personal Hangtown 30 year anniversary.

MX has been good for my soul since my Jr. High buddies introduced it to me in 1970. I was fortunate to grow up at a time and in a place (Richmond/Pinole in the NorCal east bay area) where off road motorcycling was thriving and people embraced motocross. Richard Mann and Brad Lackey were our hometown heroes (not bad local inspiration) as kids, and there were tons of local fast guys that made up the next generation of pro up-and-comers: Magoo, Schultz and a host of others. My best friend, Rich Wilson, took his own shot at the nationals, in the late 70’s, and I had the privilege of wrenching for him at a USGP support class one year and a couple nationals.

I’m sure I’m not the only guy, but I got hooked on MX photography early when my pop let me take some photos with his camera. I had that kid’s dream of being an MXA photographer, but after a couple of submissions realized that wasn’t going to happen and then just shot for pleasure. There wasn’t any way to share your photographs with people, so they got stashed.

Although most of the childhood friends who enjoyed the sport with me back in the day have moved on from MX, it stuck for me. Even during the years from the early 80’s into the 90’s, when I was in school and then striking out on a career and beginning a family, I was waiting for CN (in that old school way) to arrive after the races to keep on top of what was happening. How much joy the sport brings really hit home a couple years ago when, after being very ill for a couple years and then having some major surgery, I was back on my feet and finally made it back to Hangtown in 2000 (that was hot!!). Honestly, it’s a little maudlin, but I wept when we walked up to the track by the oak tree drop off, and guys were pinned and you could feel the ground shake with them landing. I think it was just one of those moments when it sinks in that part of a life worth living is having things you enjoy, and in the flash of that moment I was overwhelmed with the feelings of recalling years of great memories with people who meant a lot to me and also of the relief that I was going to get to live some more life enjoying something I loved.

So going to Hangtown each year is particularly special for me. It’s a bit like each new breath I don’t take for granted.

It wasn’t long after that that in 2000 that I discovered Mototalk (and Gibby’s board down the road), and made a whole new boatload of MX friends; some I’ve met, some I haven’t. And with the introduction to the internet as MX medium came the realization that this was a pretty cool way to get to show pictures. I started scanning old pictures, which a lot of you saw. Some of the stuff was scanned pretty crappy, but it was good to get it out. And then, with the generosity of Pat Schutte and DC, and really the encouragement/inspiration some very gifted professional, I have had the chance to shoot some races all over again.

All of that is a long-winded lead up to say that I started a project in the winter to rescan some of the old stuff still available to me, as well as scan some that had not yet been done. The notion was to have an old school page at the ftemoto.com site. Unfortunately, a busy spring stalled me about half way through (and it takes awhile to doctor mangled B&W negative, believe me).

Still, there is some fun stuff completed. The shots here are from NorCal races from 1971-1979. The kick off to the nationals seems like a pretty good time to bust them out. So, consider it a work in progress. Some of these you’ve seen, but hopefully they look better. Some are new. MX photos are all about enjoyment; they need to be seen. Hope to see you at the races. In the meantime, enjoy: [url=http://homepage.mac.com/stusiak/Old_School_Preview/PhotoAlbum142.html:8… School Work In Progress[/url:807fe]

XOXOX FTE
|
JPT
5/17/2006 1:43pm
Great post and fun pics. It's stuff like this that keeps me checking this place several times a day.
MaxPower
5/17/2006 7:33pm
[color=green:6501d]nice FTE[/color:6501d]

The Shop

5/17/2006 8:32pm
I still have a pair of those Yamaha leathers like Hannah is wearing in that picture.
DJ KC
Fantasy
452nd
5/17/2006 10:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:59pm
Mike, Great stuff! THANK YOU for sharing. I dig this pic of Rocket Rex, Semics, & Weinert. The 3 years the Harley-Davidson spend on the AMA Tour is pure motocross history.

[img:27748]http://homepage.mac.com/stusiak/.Pictures/2006%20Old%20School/Hangtown%…]

I remember the first time I got to see Marty Smith race in 1974 in the support class at the Trans-Am race in Orlando, Fl. Smith was pure magic on the bike. Him and Howerton battling for the lead there, memories that I will never forget.
[img:27748]http://homepage.mac.com/stusiak/.Pictures/2006%20Old%20School/Sm3X.jpg[…]
rallendude
5/18/2006 6:44am
I heard the older guys talk about what snow fence does to an out of control rider but, man... the snow fence in your photos makes them for me FTE.
yzvet
5/18/2006 7:31am
Freaken awesome pics !! thanks
SCYRacing
5/20/2006 11:49am
Cool,thanks for sharing.Question:Did you take all of those,and did any ever make the mags? I swear I had the third one down on the left on my bedroom wall as a kid.Ripped it outta Dirt Bike or Dirt Rider.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
5/22/2006 1:44pm
I took them all. The only one that made it into a mag was the one of Magoo on the KTM (a Dirt Bike readers' photos special)
ninety3
5/22/2006 6:58pm
One of THE coolest photo albums ever FTE, thanks for sharing.
Pdub
5/24/2006 4:13pm
Holy Toledo, Michael, those are magazine-quality shots! I can't understand why they weren't picked up back in the day... not enough mags?

You know there's a coffee-table book in there, right?
5/26/2006 11:32am
The landscape shot of Marty Smith on the #522 RC250 is totally twitchen - he was the hero of American heroes 'back in the day'. Do you have any photos of 'the Tomahawk' (Tommy Croft)from when he ran the #56s plate?

Post a reply to: Hangtown 30 years ago

The Latest