Good read about Harry Klemm and the DG team back in 75/76

skidmarkz
8/28/2018 9:56pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2018 10:50pm
|
barnett468
8/29/2018 10:26am Edited Date/Time 8/29/2018 10:33am
skidmarkz wrote:
That's a great article, thanks for posting it. People should read the rex staten story in there as well.

I raced saddleback in the mid 70's to around 1980 and probably saw harry there but never talked to him. The first time I actually met him and talked to him was when i worked in the r & d department of kawasaki motors. I started racing 3 wheelers in the pro class and he built the engine for donnie luce's bike so i had him build mine also. he was also the tuner/engine builder for kawi's amateur mini bike team and 1 year around 1985, kawi loaned me out to team green to wrench for eddie warren and a couple other riders at the ponca city and loretta lynn nationals because they were short 1 mechanic and harry went on that trip also.

I and a few other guys and harry met at the airport to fly out and they wouldn't let harry take his tool bag on the plane with him and it was ready to leave, so after we rationalized with them for several minutes and i promised that we would not let harry disassemble the plane during the trip, they finally let him on.

After ponca city, we headed towards lorettas but had to stop before the county line to stock up on "beverages" because they didn't sell the kind some of us liked in her county because it was still a "dry" county, which is oddly the same county that jack daniels is made, so go figure. Anyway, after leaving the beverage store, harry decided to see how far our rental car would rev before it blew up and proceeded to floor it and leave it there while driving in first or second gear until it started to spit and sputter when it hit the rev limiter at which point he kept it floored for a while longer, lol.

Harry and the rest of the week there just got more and more entertaining every day...and every night.

YZ302
8/29/2018 5:00pm
Very interesting.
Mr. Sandman
8/29/2018 10:22pm
skidmarkz wrote:
barnett468 wrote:
That's a great article, thanks for posting it. People should read the rex staten story in there as well. I raced saddleback in the mid 70's...
That's a great article, thanks for posting it. People should read the rex staten story in there as well.

I raced saddleback in the mid 70's to around 1980 and probably saw harry there but never talked to him. The first time I actually met him and talked to him was when i worked in the r & d department of kawasaki motors. I started racing 3 wheelers in the pro class and he built the engine for donnie luce's bike so i had him build mine also. he was also the tuner/engine builder for kawi's amateur mini bike team and 1 year around 1985, kawi loaned me out to team green to wrench for eddie warren and a couple other riders at the ponca city and loretta lynn nationals because they were short 1 mechanic and harry went on that trip also.

I and a few other guys and harry met at the airport to fly out and they wouldn't let harry take his tool bag on the plane with him and it was ready to leave, so after we rationalized with them for several minutes and i promised that we would not let harry disassemble the plane during the trip, they finally let him on.

After ponca city, we headed towards lorettas but had to stop before the county line to stock up on "beverages" because they didn't sell the kind some of us liked in her county because it was still a "dry" county, which is oddly the same county that jack daniels is made, so go figure. Anyway, after leaving the beverage store, harry decided to see how far our rental car would rev before it blew up and proceeded to floor it and leave it there while driving in first or second gear until it started to spit and sputter when it hit the rev limiter at which point he kept it floored for a while longer, lol.

Harry and the rest of the week there just got more and more entertaining every day...and every night.

Interesting read and story...
sandman768
8/30/2018 7:29am
Great read.... Would like to hear more stories from Harry Klemm.....that must have been a great time to be involved in MX....no wonder so many greats came out of that scene....

The Shop

PN27416
8/30/2018 10:10am
Yup, great read, so is his story on Rex at the Carlsbad USGP on the CZ(just not sure where to find it, racer x back issue maybe?) Harry's 2 websites are great reading for 2 stroke knowledge. Learned a ton about my CZ motor.
barnett468
8/30/2018 12:30pm
PN27416 wrote:
Yup, great read, so is his story on Rex at the Carlsbad USGP on the CZ(just not sure where to find it, racer x back issue...
Yup, great read, so is his story on Rex at the Carlsbad USGP on the CZ(just not sure where to find it, racer x back issue maybe?) Harry's 2 websites are great reading for 2 stroke knowledge. Learned a ton about my CZ motor.
REX STATEN HARRY KLEMM USGP CZ HOLESHOT

I was at this race.

http://www.klemmvintage.com/usgp1975.htm
Mr. Sandman
8/30/2018 4:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/30/2018 4:28pm
Another excellent read, and now my own Rex Staten story...I was 16 in late 1979/early 1980, living in Rialto, CA. I was searching the local classified rag otherwise known as the Green Sheet for a pair of motocross boots. I located a pair of used, high tech plastic Scott boots for sale just down the road in Fontana. $60 and sold to me by none other than Rocket Rex. Smile
Whymee
9/3/2018 6:20pm
That was an excellent read!

Head on over to his website and read what he thinks about fuel & 2T oil.

The man knows his shit.

Post a reply to: Good read about Harry Klemm and the DG team back in 75/76

The Latest