Front brake cable clamp

swatdoc
Edited Date/Time 8/24/2014 6:19am
Hey guys I'm working on some 43mm forks to use on my 79CR250. One of the things I'd like to do is have the aluminum legs turned on a lathe to make them look like billet machined forks. To have as much machined area as possible, I'd like to machine off the tab on the left leg that the front brake cable clamps to. Now if I do that, I will need to secure the cable with another type of clamp. What I'd like is one that clamps around the fork leg like the old Fox Factory Forks used and some other bikes like these:

I'm gonna run fork boots, so it does need to be big enough to go around that too. The forks in the above pic are the standard 37mm forks, therefore i don't think that exact clamp would work. The diameter of the leg where the clamp would go is 61mm. I would add maybe another 2mm for the thickness of the fork boot.

So can anyone point me in a direction for a clamp that would work?

Thanks
|
PN27416
8/22/2014 6:07am
Late 70's RM's used this type stock and are still available from Suzuki. You'd have to do a little poking around to figure what you need based on what year had what size forks.
newmann
8/22/2014 6:18am
I have adapted quite a few clamps over the years. Had a few that were too big and used a piece of gasket material on the inside of them to shim them up tight. Had some too small that I cut and welded a small piece of metal in to lengthen them.
swatdoc
8/22/2014 1:50pm
good ideas. thanks guys. I'll look for RM clamps and can modify if it's not exactly the right size.
8/24/2014 12:03am
from memory 79 KX bikes came with clamps exactly like that too.......Obviously you would need to enlarge the diameter but all possible.

The Shop

Post a reply to: Front brake cable clamp

The Latest