First production 1978 Harley MX 250

w2ss
Edited Date/Time 1/5/2013 10:24am
Hello everyone
I acquired a 1978 Harley MX 250 several months ago from a friend of mine who doesn't keep dirt bikes. It was dusty and sort of grungy and missing a few parts I stuck it in the corner of my garage for a wile and then almost sold it but found the major missing part the exhaust pipe new on Ebay.
This past Saturday night I beginning cleaning the bike with a cloth I did not wash it and found the more I cleaned it the more it looked new, Then I noticed the Cheng Shin tires and saw the rubber tits where still visible. I was sort of baffled like whats going on here. This thing is to clean like its has never been ridden. Then I looked at the vin # and saw zeros and a 1 . 7D10001H8 and the engine matches Now I know why it's clean.
I have acquired from what I can tell is the first production 1978 Harley MX250 ever made. I almost did a back flip.

If there are any MX250 experts here I could use a little help preserving this piece of MX history. I do not want to do a concourse restoration and would prefer to keep it as original as possible. I need to know the color order of the 5 wires going to the ignition box and where to find a few hard to find parts like a kick starter rubber knuckle cover, throttle assembly and a good rear fender Any information appreciated. Also LOL Rex Staten 's signature on the number plate would be nice. i am including a photo progress link below. Update this bike has found a new home..

https://goo.gl/photos/kyCJ9sqZNep3A5K5A
|
PN27416
10/14/2011 5:50am
WOW, # 1 and with so little use. Very impressive. You have a Dansi ignition, they also came with Motoplat. Mine has Dansi as well. Later today, i'll look at mine. Should be able to tell you what color wires go where.
Jim's Harley www.jimsharley-davidson.com had the kick boot when I needed it. The throttle is a Tommaslli brand, there still around. Try www.motomacchi.com If not you may find something close new or ebay.
An original rear fender will be tough. I have never seen one and would jump on it if I did, oem fronts are out there. You can go with DC plastics or a gentlemen in TX is making excellent fiberglass reproductions with the HD logo cast in. Email me at pn27416@yahoo for his info. He also has reproduction carb to air boots. I didn't see one in your pics.
Besides Jims and Moto macchi, http://charlestoncustomcycle.webs.com was also a good source for some parts.
If I get Rocket Rex, hell Marty Trippes and Don killer Kudalski as well to come sign mine in eastern PA. It would be simple for them to jump down to MD for yours.
Hope this helps and let me know if you need anymore.
Pete
PN27416
10/14/2011 6:08am
Also the yahoo groups MX250 Harley and Aermacchi have guys with great knowledge.
BVS40FL
10/14/2011 8:15am
When I saw them race down here in Florida they had fork legs instead of shocks on the rear.
Anyone have any old pictures that show those rear suspension set-ups ?
They switched to conventional shocks after just a few races.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
10/14/2011 10:34am
BVS40FL wrote:
When I saw them race down here in Florida they had fork legs instead of shocks on the rear. Anyone have any old pictures that show...
When I saw them race down here in Florida they had fork legs instead of shocks on the rear.

The Shop

BVS40FL
10/14/2011 10:39am
Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are.
vet323
10/14/2011 2:59pm
BVS40FL wrote:
When I saw them race down here in Florida they had fork legs instead of shocks on the rear. Anyone have any old pictures that show...
[img]https://www.ftemoto.com/misc/images/1975_harley_mx250.jpg[/img]
That's the '76 bike, no?
motogrady
10/14/2011 5:26pm
I thought the only ones with the rear forks were the 1st works bikes.

HD's last gasp at dirt.

I heard they came over in pieces and were assembled some where in Colorado.

some of the fastners had to be bought at the local hardware store,

Too little too late really, Japan was going liquid cooled, they took too long to get the bikes here, they were on the verge of bankrupcy, AMF bought them shortly thereafter.

Half were crushed for the writeoff, making them even more rare.

Def a cool bike you got there, decals still on the tank. wow,
1/5/2013 10:24am
w2ss wrote:
Hello everyone I acquired a 1978 Harley MX 250 several months ago from a friend of mine who doesn't keep dirt bikes. It was dusty and...
Hello everyone
I acquired a 1978 Harley MX 250 several months ago from a friend of mine who doesn't keep dirt bikes. It was dusty and sort of grungy and missing a few parts I stuck it in the corner of my garage for a wile and then almost sold it but found the major missing part the exhaust pipe new on Ebay.
This past Saturday night I beginning cleaning the bike with a cloth I did not wash it and found the more I cleaned it the more it looked new, Then I noticed the Cheng Shin tires and saw the rubber tits where still visible. I was sort of baffled like whats going on here. This thing is to clean like its has never been ridden. Then I looked at the vin # and saw zeros and a 1 . 7D10001H8 and the engine matches Now I know why it's clean.
I have acquired from what I can tell is the first production 1978 Harley MX250 ever made. I almost did a back flip.

If there are any MX250 experts here I could use a little help preserving this piece of MX history. I do not want to do a concourse restoration and would prefer to keep it as original as possible. I need to know the color order of the 5 wires going to the ignition box and where to find a few hard to find parts like a kick starter rubber knuckle cover, throttle assembly and a good rear fender Any information appreciated. Also LOL Rex Staten 's signature on the number plate would be nice. i am including a photo progress link below. Update this bike has found a new home..

https://goo.gl/photos/kyCJ9sqZNep3A5K5A
Thought Id Let you all know there's a 1978 HD mx250 for sale on ebay right now, unrestored, if you know someone thats looking for one
thanks ..

Post a reply to: First production 1978 Harley MX 250

The Latest