Finally got the CR 250 on a track

wexy21
Edited Date/Time 11/12/2015 7:31pm
Today I wanted to break in my 125's new cylinder and also take my roommate riding. This was his first time ever on a bike so I thought I'd just let him ride the KTM. He ended up doing pretty good and I wanted to rip on the little bike a bit so we switched. The old Honda did great for it's first time on a MX track. The suspension surprised me, it was great on the big jumps and it cornered ok. After switching to the KTM though, that bike felt like a Ferrari around the corners!

It's strange, supposedly these bikes weigh the same (well, within 1lb, 205 and 206), but it was clear that the 125 was lighter around the track. I'm glad I am choosing to keep the Honda though! It was just so much fun riding it today. Hopefully I can work my way back into shape and race a little vintage around here. It's pretty big in Missouri.

Starting out today:

Here's a few pics of today...Man, I've been riding for 30 years and can count the number of photos there are of me Sad This is Adam, not me here:

Fresh rebuild, top and bottom.

Custom leg kickstand Smile

Any other amputee riders here?

Oh! On another note...The fork slides I fab'd up worked out great!
|
nicko-31
11/10/2015 3:50pm
I'm not an amputee but I remember riding a 1989 CR 250 and it was an absolute BEAST. It looks like yours is a 1988 ?? Really like those late 80's CR.
wexy21
11/10/2015 3:58pm
I raced an 89 CR 125 which was my favorite bike even though I had a hard time keeping up with the newer bikes on the straights. I made up for it in the turns though.

This is an 88 which I bought from a lady who had it in storage since 89. This was the first time it's ever been on a track and did really well. I love this thing!

The Shop

mark_swart
11/11/2015 10:43am
Wexy21, props to you for being an amputee and not giving up the hobby you love!!

So how does upshifting work, do you have to take your leg off use your heel?
wexy21
11/11/2015 12:14pm
Wearing a prosthetic leg feels a lot like wearing a new mx boot. So all I did was raise the shifter as high as I could before hitting the primary and just lift up on my leg to click up. Clicking down is easy, I just take my foot off the peg and smash down. Shifting up is slower when I'm standing so Youd see me sit down, then shift, then stand again at times. But it's funny, I'm actually a better rider now, slower, but more controlled.
Adam,the guy in the pic is also an amputee and had drop foot in his good leg. And he's never rode before! So I was really impressed with him.
UPYERAZZ
11/11/2015 12:34pm
love the bikes and kick stand.
Uncle Tony
11/11/2015 12:41pm
That's awesome that you never gave up riding!! Love the period correct stickers on the CR, I say ride the vintage stuff don't just look at it, there is an amputee that rides at our local club, I give you guys props man
wexy21
11/11/2015 4:39pm
Thanks. Yeah the more I put into this bike the harder it's been wanting to keep it clean and nice. So I bought a complete set of plastic and stored the originals. I even bought a complete nos bottom and top end for when that time comes. Right now it's on the original rings, the motor has never been cracked open.
mxBryan
11/12/2015 1:45pm
Sorry if it's to much off topic.. But awesome that you still ride your bike.
I've never seen someone with an amputee riding a dirtbike. So much respect for you guys !
So awesome to see you guys keep going and do what you love to do.

Nice barn find btw, what was the condition of the bike after 26 years of storage ?
Got to love the 88 and 89 CR250's
wexy21
11/12/2015 7:31pm
Nah, this is a daily topic for me. I enjoy it (i work in prosthetics) and love showing how to get people back into their sports. Ever see any adaptive motocross? I know David Bailey got back on a bike a few years ago when that started gaining popularity.
As for the bike...it's been such an awesome bike so far. It was almost like a time capsule with the exception of the water seal being bad. The tires were flat so they rotted. But they weren't worn. There were even spider webs inside the rims! Lol. Its never been outside the basement since 1989. So it's basically a new bike.

Post a reply to: Finally got the CR 250 on a track

The Latest