Factory Honda front number plate

Moto Mofo
Edited Date/Time 5/24/2012 4:41pm
Is there any alternative to the Plasticwerks CR front number plate, since apparently they are out of business? I've seen the one offered by DC Plastics, but it doesn't look like the same quality. Does anyone have any experience with these? Or, does anyone have an old Plasticwerks plate they would be willing to part with? I need one for a steel frame CR500 I'm working on. Any info is greatly appreciated!
|
Moto Mofo
4/23/2012 9:32am
If you have any luck, let me know. I've made several attempts, with no success. After doing some research, it seems many others have had the same issue. Bummer, cause their products are awesome!
Moto Mofo
4/23/2012 9:37am
Phone number is no good, and emails are not answered.
Bubu13
4/23/2012 9:57am
Yup, I guess you're right... I just called and number is out of service. It's a shame, they make such high quality plastics. Sad

The Shop

leeroy
4/23/2012 11:36am
hi, im having the same trouble !
so i have asked ufo to make some
i will have them soon....
Moto Mofo
4/23/2012 12:16pm
Very cool, leeroy. If you happen to have any extras you would be willing to sell, please keep me in mind.
bradmx421
4/23/2012 1:01pm
the UFO one is a different mold.....and ufo only makes them in White or Red....ive never seen them produce the factory clear color

...but if you get a few LeeRoy, let us know...a few people on here are looking for the same thing
jtracing6
4/25/2012 12:31am
leeroy wrote:
hi, im having the same trouble !
so i have asked ufo to make some
i will have them soon....
One small detail with the UFO front plates is that they have a hole for the stock Honda brake hose guide.
If you can find one, the Acerbis one is more acceptable, though unfortunately not in translucent.
For detail freaks, the Plasticwerks front plate hose guide is wrong.
I heard a guy in Canada was going to make some but he is very hard to deal with.
MCfan4life
4/25/2012 4:31am
Guys if you look through my 96 CR250 McGrath replica thread you will find a few answers to some of your questions.

As for the guy who owns Plasticwerks, I tracked him down last year. He still owns the business and still owns all the mouldings and machinery to make them, but doesn't have the time to run it and isn't really interested in somebody else running it. We had come to an agreement where I was going to purchase a bulk amount off him and on-sell them. That's how I desperate I was to get a Plasticwerks front plate!

But then I got a hold of one of MC's old factory Honda front plates and, at around the same time, the emails stopped coming from the owner of Plasticwerks. So the deal basically fizzled out...

The UFO is the next closest thing in my opinion. I have a few white ones. The DC plates just look cheaply made to me.
prillernut
4/25/2012 5:05am
MCfan4life wrote:
Guys if you look through my 96 CR250 McGrath replica thread you will find a few answers to some of your questions. As for the guy...
Guys if you look through my 96 CR250 McGrath replica thread you will find a few answers to some of your questions.

As for the guy who owns Plasticwerks, I tracked him down last year. He still owns the business and still owns all the mouldings and machinery to make them, but doesn't have the time to run it and isn't really interested in somebody else running it. We had come to an agreement where I was going to purchase a bulk amount off him and on-sell them. That's how I desperate I was to get a Plasticwerks front plate!

But then I got a hold of one of MC's old factory Honda front plates and, at around the same time, the emails stopped coming from the owner of Plasticwerks. So the deal basically fizzled out...

The UFO is the next closest thing in my opinion. I have a few white ones. The DC plates just look cheaply made to me.
Thanks for the update on Plasticwerks. That's interesting that he's keeping the moldings and machinery - I guess we can hope that one day his plastic will be available again....
bradmx421
4/26/2012 10:43am
i cant believe i just paid $80 US for a front number plate....
jtracing6
4/26/2012 10:51am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2012 10:51am
Guys
Did you not read the line, (more than 10 available) ?
To get UFO to make them he probably had to have at least 100 !
Get building those USD 90's factory replicas!
jtracing6
4/26/2012 10:53am
Guys
Bradmx421 it's only money, you can't do anything else with it except spend it! :-)
sgthubbard#60
4/26/2012 10:53am
jtracing6 wrote:
Guys Did you not read the line, (more than 10 available) ? To get UFO to make them he probably had to have at least 100...
Guys
I got nervous that you might buy them all. lol
Moto Mofo
4/26/2012 12:12pm
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

I wonder if these are close enough in size to the Plasticwerks unit, where the same size background would fit properly?
jtracing6
4/26/2012 3:29pm
Moto Mofo wrote:
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up! I wonder if these are close enough in size to the Plasticwerks unit, where the same size background would fit...
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

I wonder if these are close enough in size to the Plasticwerks unit, where the same size background would fit properly?
If it's taken from the regular UFO USD front plate the stock Honda 80's background will go straight on.
Moto Mofo
4/26/2012 5:46pm
jtracing6 wrote:
If it's taken from the regular UFO USD front plate the stock Honda 80's background will go straight on.
Like the plate used with the conventional forks? Or the early upside down forks?
jtracing6
4/27/2012 3:03am
jtracing6 wrote:
Moto Mofo wrote:
Like the plate used with the conventional forks? Or the early upside down forks?
If you zoom in on the photo in the ad you can see a little ridge. I know it's not the same but it's as close as you'll get unless you can get Mr Plasticwerks to answer the phone!
bradmx421
4/27/2012 11:38am
damn.... 20 of those were sold the day this was posted....they are not going to last long
4/28/2012 10:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2012 10:25pm
Moto Mofo wrote:
If you have any luck, let me know. I've made several attempts, with no success. After doing some research, it seems many others have had the...
If you have any luck, let me know. I've made several attempts, with no success. After doing some research, it seems many others have had the same issue. Bummer, cause their products are awesome!
Yes I tried to order one of these from Plastic Werks>
http://www.plasticwerks.com/catalog/item/786558/6704199.htm
I received a E-mail conformation, a week went by and no product, I sent a message back to the conformation address, asking about the status of my order ? another week went by and no response.

I sent another E-mail asking if they were still in business ? and again no response.

I'm also looking for someone who makes or could make one these, a 83-87 Honda Factory Fully Vented Number Plate, like this one>

When I order one of these from DC Plastic >
http://www.dcvmx.com/xcart/product.php?productid=19992&cat=271&page=2
I suggested that they make a 83-87 Honda Factor vented number plates, and they said they did, and sent me a picture of this >
http://www.dcvmx.com/xcart/product.php?productid=20075&cat=271&page=1

which is just a stock 81 partially vented number plate in your choice of Tahitian Red or Flash Red.

Besides the Plastic works all White vented one, does anyone know if someone else makes a all ''Flash Red'' fully vented front number plates that looks like the one in the picture above ?

PS. on a very sad note, I cant believe how F@&king returded I'm am , it took me three tries to post this , I kept clicking on another link, and erasing all that I had typed Angry
leeroy
5/5/2012 7:19pm
guy's relax,,,, that is my buddy that has them on evilbay.
i also have some, just waiting on getting them from the other side of the pond..
we went in on halves, had to get a certain amount made to make the deal happen...
leeroy
5/5/2012 7:20pm
oh i forgot to say that they are the neutral color !!
Moto Mofo
5/9/2012 10:33am Edited Date/Time 5/9/2012 10:42am
I got my UFO plate in today. The bolt hole appears to be about 3/4" lower than the Plasticwerks plates. For my application when bolted directly, there is a big gap between the front fender and the bottom of the number plate, so a bracket will have to be used to drop it down correctly. Not sure if this will be the case with other models or not. Now to find someone that will make a preprint for it...
CamP
5/9/2012 12:27pm
leeroy wrote:
guy's relax,,,, that is my buddy that has them on evilbay. i also have some, just waiting on getting them from the other side of the...
guy's relax,,,, that is my buddy that has them on evilbay.
i also have some, just waiting on getting them from the other side of the pond..
we went in on halves, had to get a certain amount made to make the deal happen...
Hey Leeroy, count me in on one when you get them!
bradmx421
5/10/2012 11:03am
Moto Mofo wrote:
I got my UFO plate in today. The bolt hole appears to be about 3/4" lower than the Plasticwerks plates. For my application when bolted directly...
I got my UFO plate in today. The bolt hole appears to be about 3/4" lower than the Plasticwerks plates. For my application when bolted directly, there is a big gap between the front fender and the bottom of the number plate, so a bracket will have to be used to drop it down correctly. Not sure if this will be the case with other models or not. Now to find someone that will make a preprint for it...
i got my pre-prints from Throttle Jockey for it. Most major graphic companys should have the template aswell.... Factory Effex, Decal Works...etc..
Moto Mofo
5/10/2012 2:04pm
But is the bolt hole in the right location? Compare pics of the plasticwerks plate to the UFO plate... It's clearly not in the same spot. I was figuring I would have to try and order one without the hole cut out, and just trim it myself. The outside dimensions that Decal Works uses for their plasticwerks template is the right size for the UFO part.
bradmx421
5/10/2012 4:15pm
once mine shows up, i will let you know....i already have the graphic kit. just waiting on the plate to arrive....i also have a plasticweks plate but its not in the greatest condition so im getting this one for one of my current projects

Post a reply to: Factory Honda front number plate

The Latest