Early 80's PC Husky pixs ?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/16/2009 6:12 AM

Previous thread has me wanting to see some pixs of the PC Huskys. Remember seeing several articles bitd from MXA, DB on them. Thanks ride safe

|

Kevin Windham‏ @kdub_14

Not 1factory racer hasnt been told that if ucan help teammate out, then do it 4 championship. Few r in a position like MM25 #partofthesport

2/16/2009 1:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2009 1:51 PM

|

2/16/2009 1:51 PM

|

2/16/2009 3:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2009 3:45 PM

I rode a Husky 125 in 1980 and MXA did a PCP (Pro Circuit Products) test on it. I ordered a pipe from that test.

They also made a plastic scoop to help scoop more air across the fins for better cooling.

RPM built some REALLY FAST motors. I bought an 81 KX250 with their full blown Turbo Cranked motors from one of their support riders after he broke his leg by getting run over by a milk truck while training on a bicycle.

|

2/16/2009 4:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2016 10:32 PM

A couple of buddies of mine bought 2 CR430's converted into CR470's from Pro Circuit back in 81 & 82, Then Husqvarna came out with a CR500 about mid year in 82, then the Plain wrap (White) ones in 83.

|

The older I get, the faster I was

2/16/2009 4:16 PM

The #M8 was a Husky CR125 with Craig Dale as the rider. Mitch would have to put new rings in it after every moto. The thing was fast, but the maintenance schedules were demanding. But Dale made that bike sing...

Bones had one too... but it was a lot less labor intensive to say the least. Bones was a 125 Novice and Dale was riding on the Pro level.

|

2/16/2009 4:19 PM

lumpy790 wrote:

I rode a Husky 125 in 1980 and MXA did a PCP (Pro Circuit Products) test on it. I ordered a pipe from that test.

They also ...more

I put on a faktory go cart cylinder on my 80 125, it's was bigger reed's on it, and it was peaky like hell,but fun on the straigts.

|

2/16/2009 4:32 PM

anniebert wrote:

The #M8 was a Husky CR125 with Craig Dale as the rider. Mitch would have to put new rings in it after every moto. The thing ...more

The word around town was that Bones' Hoosk had a few more cc's too wink

|

I like knobby tires

2/16/2009 4:47 PM

anniebert wrote:

The #M8 was a Husky CR125 with Craig Dale as the rider. Mitch would have to put new rings in it after every moto. The thing ...more

ninety3 wrote:

The word around town was that Bones' Hoosk had a few more cc's too wink

I'm sure it did.. but what do I know, in 1980 I was a 16 year old kid riding for Mitch back then racing 250 Int.. I had a hard enough time having Jeff Jennings, Troy Lee, and Gary Jones keeping me honest and out of trouble to some extent.

|

2/16/2009 4:47 PM

I remember David Taylor racing one for a while when he rode for DG Racing......I remember Craig Dale also on that bike,,,wickedly fast!!!

|

2/16/2009 4:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2009 4:57 PM

|

2/16/2009 4:57 PM

anniebert wrote:

Sounds like a stupid question, but how do you post pics on this site?

What are the steps needed to make it work...thanks

|

2/16/2009 7:02 PM

I usually save the pic's to my photobucket and then use the HTML code, copy & pastewhistling

|

2/16/2009 7:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2009 7:30 PM

|

2/16/2009 7:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2009 7:56 PM

[LINK TO IMAGE]
[LINK TO IMAGE]

Top images... Mammoth 250 Int 1981. #56 was the practice bike, #9 was the race bike

Bottom Images, 1982 Saddleback and Mammoth. On my left riding the Kawasaki was Rick Ash, on my Right, Ed Edabella #154

What a way to spend your Jr. and Senior years in High School racing with PC support. Had a blast...
|

2/16/2009 7:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2009 7:54 PM

|

2/16/2009 7:59 PM

many thanks. I remember riding my buds new '81 250 and thinking "Ok it's time to give up on the Bultaco" Had a '82 250 and couple of years ago had a '82 1/2 500 that just could not get use to the feel of it after coming off a Maico

|

Kevin Windham‏ @kdub_14

Not 1factory racer hasnt been told that if ucan help teammate out, then do it 4 championship. Few r in a position like MM25 #partofthesport

2/16/2009 8:00 PM

anniebert wrote: [LINK TO IMAGE]
[LINK TO IMAGE]

Top images... Mammoth 250 Int 1981. #56 was the practice bike, #9 was the race bike

Bottom ...more

Nice pics....I loved Mammoth!!!

|

2/16/2009 8:22 PM

Mammoth was mega... Mammoth was special. Still is.

Funny thing is, I still ride when I can (2 strokes still)

The lessons I learned from working in the MX industry as a teenage gave me the inspiration to let me have my own business that deals with the autoracing industry and I've been able to see the world because of it

I've been able to meet my childhood hero's

I still talk to Mitch, Ted Studley, Troy, Rick Maki, Jim Perry, Jody, Dave Eropkin, MIke Hooker, Zap, Bill Keefe and even though I don't see them that often (usually at the big races), when I do it's like nothing has changed

The only difference is that were older, wiser? and more mature?

And if someone or something took it all away tomorrow, it's o.k. I still have it in my memory and I was very lucky to live it in that one moment in my life

....now that is priceless

|

2/17/2009 6:37 PM

Here my 81 Husky CR 250 that I raced back in 07 [LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

2/17/2009 9:33 PM

The thing I remember most about my 125 was the tiny 35mm forks twisting side to side so much you could see the tire sticking out both sides of the fender.

This is the best picture I still have.......

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

2/17/2009 10:36 PM

Sweet pics guys. Real nice.

When those white '83s came along, the 500 especially a POS.

Too bad; Swede Huskys for so many years were neat bikes.

|

2/18/2009 4:01 AM

evomx244 wrote:

Here my 81 Husky CR 250 that I raced back in 07 [LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

[LINK TO IMAGE]

evomx244 - are you on a CR480 now ? seen some pixs on the CR480 group web page .

|

Kevin Windham‏ @kdub_14

2/28/2009 4:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/15/2009 11:17 AM

|

3/1/2009 11:29 AM

anniebert wrote: [LINK TO IMAGE]
[LINK TO IMAGE]

Bottom ...more

Keefe, Troy, Mitch, Nuh, Foster, Jefferson that was the Saddleback terrace crew back in the day. Good times
Ed Abella was cool, always had some great stories about GP races, you look familiar who are you, Becker ?
What's Ed up to these days ?

Andy "Bro Show" Jefferson
[LINK TO IMAGE]
That's me in 82" Dave Berger
[LINK TO IMAGE]
posted these a few times, but they fit well here too.

|

I like knobby tires

3/1/2009 12:59 PM

lumpy790 wrote:

The thing I remember most about my 125 was the tiny 35mm forks twisting side to side so much you could see the tire sticking ...more

My 1982 RM250 did the same thing? Hard to ride on a rough track.

|

3/1/2009 2:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/1/2009 2:26 PM

ninety3 wrote:

Keefe, Troy, Mitch, Nuh, Foster, Jefferson that was the Saddleback terrace crew back in the day. Good times
Ed Abella was ...more

Yep... you found me. I own a business involved in the auto racing world on the activation side. We deal with Grand Am, NASCAR, IRL, F1, etc... All behind the scenes stuff. Tons of travel and a lot headaches now since the economy is in the dumper. Being in this world has allowed me to race sports cars in the Grand Am Series and go places I can only imagine. Having a blast.

I still talk to Ted Studley and Gary Truesdill on a regular basis. Same with Rick Maki. Maki is living in Atlanta. He lost track of his midget mechanic a few years ago. I saw Payton at A2 and he's still Mitch. He's done an amazing job with PC. From Anaheim Husky to what it is today, gotta give the guy credit. I have not seen Nuh in a while or Jefferson, same goes with Ed. But I see Jody, Zap and Gary Jones at Glen Helen. Same goes with Gary Martini at Honda. I get this random email from him once in a while that makes me crack up. We went to dinner last month when I was at the Rolex 24 and he was at the Speedway for Honda business. Dan Bentley is still doing Honda's R@D, along with Kirk Rood at Kawasaki. Ross is doing great with the ENZO business it looks like. When I started riding Honda's and Suzuki's 83 onward, Ross always had me testing factory or pre-production suspension bits at Pounders in Riverside. Ross taught me so much regarding suspension. What I learned back then I use today in the car stuff. It's amazing how much 411 and thought process is transferable. I haven't spoken to him since Darrin Matoda's funeral. He was so bummed. Dave Eropkin calls me every other month to find out what country or state I'm in regarding the travel side. As you know, JC is now Geico Honda's team manager. I see him at the SX and Nationals. Troy...well we've all seen what he has done.

Actually, I still have the 81 Husky with all the factory bits on it. I should restore it. It's in really good condition for it's age and just sitting in my parents garage. The thing hasn't moved since 85. My old man rode it with some of his buddies and brought it home. I steamed cleaned it, put tons of WD40 and put it on the stand and covered it up. The bike is just gathering dust. Mitch a few years ago asked if I have any of the old Husky stuff laying around. I should just give the bike to him and let him have it. He practically gave me the bike when I was a kid. It's only right. I'll ask him next week if he wants it if I go to Daytona for bike week.

|

3/2/2009 6:04 AM

Thanks to all for the input, enjoy it all. I know for the evo Husky guys the PC stuff is extremely sought after, pretty rare, would be killer if MP and crew started doing up some vintage/evo stuff.

|

Kevin Windham‏ @kdub_14

3/2/2009 4:36 PM

Check this out, a fully decked out '81 vintage PCP Hooosky

http://motorbikearchives.com/Features/Bike-Set-Up/Husqvarna-Race-Face-1982.html

|

3/2/2009 9:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/2/2009 10:03 PM

Great find... I believe the bike is a 82 model. The 81 and 82 were so close. The frame was the same and the lower end was off the 430. But it had a different cylinder and head combo. But that photo brings back memories as a young teenager.

Mitch gave us all the fender / rear #plate combo's and side panels for the 82 team bikes. (I was lucky, I rode 250 INT and Mitch allowed me to be in his 81/82 catalog in the team rider section and supported my racing efforts with all the PC team bike swag). In 81, we all ran the standard issue black side # plate combo's or the same standard combo's in white plastic that were manufactured by Dave Miller's brother I think, WFO Plastic? Those white side panels on the 82 bikes (if you look at Dave Berger's bike (Saddleback going into Webco Hill and me in the same corner on the exit of Webco) we had the white front # plate and rear fender / # plate combos. If you look at other picture (Mammoth start), you can clearly see that rear fender / # plate combo.

Also on the 82 bikes, we had different reeds (and cylinder porting and head work) and a boost bottle that connected to the frame under the tank with a piece of metal that most likely could stop an armor piercing round. The boost bottle was held on by a BIG black rubber band (LOL). Our pipes were different too. We had a bigger airbox for more air volume and that allowed us to run a shorty pipe. The silencer was mounted right by the airbox and was not exposed on the left side. The silencer was hidden behind the left side panel. The hot exhaust gases always melted the rear fenders and turned the white plastic brown and we popped silencer exhaust springs every time we rode (LOL). And we always melted the white side panels on the left. You also carried tons of exhaust spring spares and zip ties....

The safety seat... I tend to believe that seat came about because Payton used to have a kid named Jimmy A.K.A. - Nob ( he worked for Payton on the weekends cleaning up the shop--the kid was built like a brick shit house and played football for Esparanza H.S. ) Nob would duck tape Jennings up all the time against the work bench and put whip cream on his privates and let Jennings dog (a BIG St. Bernard) named MOTO lick it off him.

One last note.. PC 1st catalog circa 81/82 with Jeff Jennings on the cover at Saddleback. It was 8 pages with a cover. It had all the PC products and all the team riders in it from that era... which I think it would be: Jeff Jennings, Billy Keefe, David Gerig, Clark Jones, Goat Breker, Mike Monagan, Tony D, Troy Lee, Ernie Becker, Jim "Bones" Bacon to name a few. Ted Studley designed it and he would like to know if anybody out there has one floating around. (Ted still does some design work for Payton BTW) This was his 1st job he did for PC and would like one for his collection. If somebody does have one, please let me know...thanks

|