Lw
Fantasy
909th
11/20/2019 5:50pm

Lw
Fantasy
909th
11/20/2019 5:57pm Edited Date/Time 11/20/2019 6:00pm
My name is Larry Watkins... EC was a 2nd dad to me.. he was my mechanic from 1969 - 1975... read all the threads.. could share EC’s life and our times together racing including EC & I moving to Florida and our racing for Maico..
The bikes EC was hired by the factories to build and wrench for me included... Maico... Zundapp... Tyran... Carabela... CZ... and Rickman.... Don Emlers Pendapp motor was an exact copy of my White Works Rickman ... there is a picture of it posted as well as my 250 Rickman in the last photo
ktmfun219
Fantasy
401st
11/21/2019 3:50pm
Lw wrote:
My name is Larry Watkins... EC was a 2nd dad to me.. he was my mechanic from 1969 - 1975... read all the threads.. could share...
My name is Larry Watkins... EC was a 2nd dad to me.. he was my mechanic from 1969 - 1975... read all the threads.. could share EC’s life and our times together racing including EC & I moving to Florida and our racing for Maico..
The bikes EC was hired by the factories to build and wrench for me included... Maico... Zundapp... Tyran... Carabela... CZ... and Rickman.... Don Emlers Pendapp motor was an exact copy of my White Works Rickman ... there is a picture of it posted as well as my 250 Rickman in the last photo
Thank you for this incredible history information and photos. Appreciate it sir.
Lw
Fantasy
909th
11/24/2019 4:01am

A little history... The Year is 1969...... I was 13 yrs old at the time... My dad took my 360 Maico to EC to get the motor built and a pipe built... EC Birt was a genius with a 2 stroke motor... at this point after EC would design the engine, it was then taken to Papa’s house who’s garage was the machine shop and papa did all the machine work for EC..
Once the machine work was done, we would head back to Precision Cycle where the shop mechanics included Donny Emler and Jim MacDonald.. Donny raced his 100 Suzuki at the time and it was on this bike that Donny learned from EC how to make a motor fast and hand shape cones and build Expansion Chambers ... Side Story on FMF.. in 1969 .. Donny’s Suzuki was called an FMF ( a Five Minute Flyer) because that’s how long Donny’s bikes at this point would last before hang grenading.... Donny then learned to keep the compression around 230 lbs and not 250 and after a year of learning, his bikes would last a full moto... The name FMF then evolved and meant ( Fast Mother F#%ker)..
When EC and I moved to Florida to join Team Maico In 1974 and Donny started his own new shop.. to be commercial... FMF became ( The Flying Machine Factory)..
In conclusion... my 1969 Maico 360... after EC built the motor and pipe and put a Mikuni Carburetor on it.. my bike never broke down... I was the top Dist 37 open Novice and then Amateur that year and turned Expert in 1970 on this bike
cz2crf2wc
12/3/2019 1:39pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2019 1:40pm
Lw wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/11/24/386717/s1200_A534B2F4_1734_4380_8709_BAD250A95124.jpg[/img] A little history... The Year is 1969...... I was 13 yrs old at the time... My dad took my 360 Maico to EC to get...

A little history... The Year is 1969...... I was 13 yrs old at the time... My dad took my 360 Maico to EC to get the motor built and a pipe built... EC Birt was a genius with a 2 stroke motor... at this point after EC would design the engine, it was then taken to Papa’s house who’s garage was the machine shop and papa did all the machine work for EC..
Once the machine work was done, we would head back to Precision Cycle where the shop mechanics included Donny Emler and Jim MacDonald.. Donny raced his 100 Suzuki at the time and it was on this bike that Donny learned from EC how to make a motor fast and hand shape cones and build Expansion Chambers ... Side Story on FMF.. in 1969 .. Donny’s Suzuki was called an FMF ( a Five Minute Flyer) because that’s how long Donny’s bikes at this point would last before hang grenading.... Donny then learned to keep the compression around 230 lbs and not 250 and after a year of learning, his bikes would last a full moto... The name FMF then evolved and meant ( Fast Mother F#%ker)..
When EC and I moved to Florida to join Team Maico In 1974 and Donny started his own new shop.. to be commercial... FMF became ( The Flying Machine Factory)..
In conclusion... my 1969 Maico 360... after EC built the motor and pipe and put a Mikuni Carburetor on it.. my bike never broke down... I was the top Dist 37 open Novice and then Amateur that year and turned Expert in 1970 on this bike
You sir were one FMF "Fast Mother F@cker"
lwatkins
12/8/2020 12:14pm
cz2crf2wc wrote:
You sir were one FMF "Fast Mother F@cker"
Hi Larry. I remember meeting you back in 72 at Saturday Corona motocross. Our last names being the same and our first names almost ( Lynn ) my dad went to introduce himself to you dad. No relation but I rode DKW 100 springer with precision pipe and EC porting. You were a fast cat as I remember also at Indian dunes. I grew up in Torrance and hung around Precision all the time. I started building pipes there in 75 under Dean Dailey. Luke and Bobby Messer along with Bill Rubly practically lived there wrenching their Maico’s. I worked for Don and Jim Mac at FMF all of late 75 to 77 building pipes. Me being a desert racer and occasionally CMC mx It was awesome to meet and hang with some of our sponsored riders that wore our jerseys Ron Turner, John Savitski, Marty Smith, Steve Wise, Warren Reid. Ah good times Larry
Lw
Fantasy
909th
12/9/2020 2:40am
Great History Lwatkins, its funny seeing your name being I use mine the same way. Those were some of the best times in life and I’m glad you were part of my history. Since you were part of the FMF crew in 1975, I’m wondering if you new my Fiancé. Her name is Kelly Bartlett ( her brother was Chris). Kelly rode for Donnie in 1975 and was the first girl he sponsored. Kelly and I have been together for 9 years and enjoy an incredibly rich past of motocross history. The bench racing can get boot high deep at times... nice to hear from you .
LW
Lw
Fantasy
909th
12/9/2020 2:50am

Lw
Fantasy
909th
12/9/2020 3:07am
A little more history. The year before E.C. And I moved to Florida, I rode for Tyran. ....E.C. was my mechanic and this is the bike we traveled around for a year and raced.. it was not the best handling bike but the Sachs motor E.C. Built was a rocket ship... if you notice the photo of E.C. Working on my bike, look at his Beanie... it says “GOD”... that is how E.C. ranked himself when it came to building a 2 stroke motor... it was my favorite hat he wore.. these photos are from a 6 Race Series in Arizona that we would load up The infamous yellow Ford Percision Cycle Van and head out on Friday and come back on Monday... can’t tell you how many times E.C. was too tired to drive and would say, LW take your turn to drive but keep it under 100mph.... the hard part was that when I first was told to drive.. I was only 14 years old... by time I was 15... I had driven all over America... we put a lot of miles on that van and great memories.
LW
chuck356
2/17/2021 8:47am
I'm glad someone mentioned Tyran motorcycles, there was a guy in my town that sold them '73ish. I believe at least one of them are still around.
cz2crf2wc
3/5/2021 8:22pm
lwatkins wrote:
Hi Larry. I remember meeting you back in 72 at Saturday Corona motocross. Our last names being the same and our first names almost ( Lynn...
Hi Larry. I remember meeting you back in 72 at Saturday Corona motocross. Our last names being the same and our first names almost ( Lynn ) my dad went to introduce himself to you dad. No relation but I rode DKW 100 springer with precision pipe and EC porting. You were a fast cat as I remember also at Indian dunes. I grew up in Torrance and hung around Precision all the time. I started building pipes there in 75 under Dean Dailey. Luke and Bobby Messer along with Bill Rubly practically lived there wrenching their Maico’s. I worked for Don and Jim Mac at FMF all of late 75 to 77 building pipes. Me being a desert racer and occasionally CMC mx It was awesome to meet and hang with some of our sponsored riders that wore our jerseys Ron Turner, John Savitski, Marty Smith, Steve Wise, Warren Reid. Ah good times Larry
Hi Lynn We must of crossed paths back in 75. Luke Messer and Bill Rubly used to let me in the Shop after closing to work on my Elsinore 125 I even painted the frame there. I raced a lot at Irwindale, Ascot and OCIR that year. Rubly was going for the CMC #1 plate in 75 and asked if I would go with him to race at El Cajon one night and that was my only Expert win. Hard to believe it was 45 years ago.
mx317
3/9/2021 8:09am
I worked with EC for a while when he was in Dickson Tennessee. Not only was he magic when building engines, he was a master welder! We modified a swingarm for a Maico I had to use a different length shock and his welds looked like a roll of dimes layed over, perfect! We did a Suzuki cylinder for Danny Laporte while I was there that was a work of art. The Perales brothers brought him here from Florida and he was here from around 77-78 until his death. Great guy!
dobrojim
11/29/2022 2:19pm

In 1973 I bought a Hodaka Wombat (enduro) and being 16, I wanted to race it. My go-to shop was in Rockville MD and run by a man named Tom Wilmon who to me was much more tech sophisticated than other Hodie mechanics I had come across. His shop, Sun Cycles, was also a Zundapp shop/dealer and Tom had at some point reached out to EC and becomes friends with him. Tom later  ported my Hodie carving out and extra "victory (transfer) port" which I believe was suggested to him by EC. In conjunction with the victory port Tom also got expansion chamber specs which was constructed and installed on the bike. I was very happy with how it ran after those mods but as we all remember, at the time, Elsinores dominated. I sold the bike probably in 1975 but I really with I still had the specs for that expansion chamber as I bet it would have worked well on the 77 Wombat I bought a couple years later. The pipe was sent to Tom as a collection of cones and he welded it up to fit as a downpipe on the 73 Wombat.

If anyone has access to the tech info of that time or a suggestion for a street and USFS legal pipe for the 77 /03 Wombat, I would love to hear from you. I have a completely intact 77 Wombat which was running the last time I tried (more than a few years ago) but could probably be restored without unreasonable expense. My 25 yo son wants to ride and I really would be happier if he learned off road on something like my Wombat.

I also have a considerable collection of old DB magazines including the issue with the EC Birt Rickman. 

Post a reply to: EC Birt- Precision Cycle?

The Latest