Crank Balancing 02 CR265

labbe001
Hi Guys,
First off, a little about the bike. I have an 02 CR250 that I bought brand new when they came out in 2001. Just like most brand new bikes, it was as smooth as butter and an absolute rocket. Over time, it seemed to develop a bad vibration issue. A couple of years ago, I sent the engine to Eric Gorr to be bored to a 265cc. I was really impressed with the power gains but now it vibrates even more than previously (obviously). I have tried different handle bars (including flex bars) different grips, foam in bars, correctly torqued engine mount bolts, and many many more.
I enjoy riding the bike and use it for both motocross and woods riding. I ride regular enough that I don't feel I should be getting arm pump after 5 mins on the track or arms going numb after 30 Mins in the woods. I've been doing some research and was thinking about having the crank balanced. I would like to get some thoughts and feedback from you guys if you think it would be worth the money and help with reducing vibration.

For all you jokesters out there, No, I have not tried putting tampons in the bar ends..lol...I know that a 2 stroke 265cc bike will have some vibration but it just seems to be WAY too much. My buddy has a YZ265 with the same engine mods and it's like night and days when it comes to vibration.

Thanks in advance for you thoughts.
|
jbrass715
9/14/2018 9:21am
How many hours is on that crank? Or does it still have an oem crank in it?
bradmx421
9/14/2018 1:49pm
If you decide to have your crank balanced, CrankWorks does a really good job and they also do alot of the teams cranks.
barnett468
9/14/2018 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2018 5:21pm
labbe001 wrote:
Hi Guys, First off, a little about the bike. I have an 02 CR250 that I bought brand new when they came out in 2001. Just...
Hi Guys,
First off, a little about the bike. I have an 02 CR250 that I bought brand new when they came out in 2001. Just like most brand new bikes, it was as smooth as butter and an absolute rocket. Over time, it seemed to develop a bad vibration issue. A couple of years ago, I sent the engine to Eric Gorr to be bored to a 265cc. I was really impressed with the power gains but now it vibrates even more than previously (obviously). I have tried different handle bars (including flex bars) different grips, foam in bars, correctly torqued engine mount bolts, and many many more.
I enjoy riding the bike and use it for both motocross and woods riding. I ride regular enough that I don't feel I should be getting arm pump after 5 mins on the track or arms going numb after 30 Mins in the woods. I've been doing some research and was thinking about having the crank balanced. I would like to get some thoughts and feedback from you guys if you think it would be worth the money and help with reducing vibration.

For all you jokesters out there, No, I have not tried putting tampons in the bar ends..lol...I know that a 2 stroke 265cc bike will have some vibration but it just seems to be WAY too much. My buddy has a YZ265 with the same engine mods and it's like night and days when it comes to vibration.

Thanks in advance for you thoughts.
"I have an 02 CR250 that I bought brand new when they came out in 2001. Just like most brand new bikes, it was as smooth as butter and an absolute rocket. Over time, it seemed to develop a bad vibration issue."

The only way this issue could be caused by the crank is if the 2 halves came out of sync by slipping on the pin. You can remove the crank and have it tested for true. If it is true, the problem above is not from the crank, which means that balancing it wont fix it.

Also, you can not remove a significant amount of engine vibration from any single cylinder engine by balancing the crank. One can can mainly change the rpm at which the engine vibrates on a singe cylinder.

"I have tried different handle bars (including flex bars) different grips, foam in bars,"

None of this will do much but bar end dampers help and so will filling the bars with lead shot.
labbe001
9/14/2018 7:32pm
jbrass715 wrote:
How many hours is on that crank? Or does it still have an oem crank in it?
The crank is the original OEM crank and has many many hours on it.. I've checked it the few times it's been out of the bike as well as any play in the rod every time I do a top end.

Post a reply to: Crank Balancing 02 CR265

The Latest