Cool 82 works Honda story

Robgvx
Edited Date/Time 10/12/2015 9:09pm
Was talking to Arno Drechsel last night. Arno was a German GP rider who raced for the German Honda importer in 250 GPs.

In 1983 Honda Germany got hold of 1982 factory RC250s from Honda which had been raced by Bailey in 1982. Arno said that when he first got the bikes he went testing and took his 83 production-based race bike for comparison. He said that he rode loads of laps on that bike until he was sure that he couldn't go any faster. He then jumped on the RC250 and immediately went SIX seconds a lap quicker!

Wow!
|
newmann
9/29/2015 10:16am
Honda had lots of neat tricks going on back then. You could tell they must have had some guys from the F1 dept hanging out in the moto shop. I got the opportunity to drool over this 82 belonging to a fellow Vitard a few years back.

ATKpilot99
9/29/2015 11:55am
Thats pretty cool . Im always searching for video of that era of 250 GPs but there doesn't seem to be that much out there.
Slingshot92
9/29/2015 12:05pm
Looks SO fast and slim. Way ahead of its time. Compared to 1982 CR-250 it is from another planet.

The Shop

Wandell
9/30/2015 12:25pm
Those 1982 RC250's were so far ahead of the competition it wasn't even fair! I drooled over pics of those bikes as a teenager!
heckenzwirn
9/30/2015 1:24pm
Arno isn´t a German, he is from Bozen, South-Tirol, Italy. but he was racing with german licence. but no worries, its a very interesting story!
Robgvx
10/1/2015 11:19am
Arno isn´t a German, he is from Bozen, South-Tirol, Italy. but he was racing with german licence. but no worries, its a very interesting story!
He did tell me that actually. Sorry, I forgot.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
10/1/2015 1:52pm
Looks SO fast and slim. Way ahead of its time. Compared to 1982 CR-250 it is from another planet. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/09/29/106559/s1200_Honda_RC_055_910x614.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/09/29/106560/s1200_1982_cr.jpg[/img]
Looks SO fast and slim. Way ahead of its time. Compared to 1982 CR-250 it is from another planet.

I rode the top bike in 82. I use to ride with Donnie a lot until he got hurt and one day after he wrapped up outdoors I asked him if I could ride it and he said sure, so I did.
Sully
10/1/2015 5:33pm
Looks SO fast and slim. Way ahead of its time. Compared to 1982 CR-250 it is from another planet. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/09/29/106559/s1200_Honda_RC_055_910x614.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/09/29/106560/s1200_1982_cr.jpg[/img]

UpTiTe wrote:
I rode the top bike in 82. I use to ride with Donnie a lot until he got hurt and one day after he wrapped up...
I rode the top bike in 82. I use to ride with Donnie a lot until he got hurt and one day after he wrapped up outdoors I asked him if I could ride it and he said sure, so I did.
I'd probably still have a boner 30 years later if I got to ride that bike back then.
MaxPower
10/1/2015 7:55pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2015 8:03pm

What I find even more amazing than Arno cutting laps 6 seconds quicker on the works bike is that RJ and Glover were beating these bikes on POS 82 YZ250s and 490s, As a vintage guy, the 82 YZ is the only YZ I wouldnt want to own
I wonder if the Honda guys were thinking to themselves as they were riding balls out to keep with these guys "How are they going so fast on those loads?!?"

I find it amazing that they were competitive with the production based bikes. At the time I dont remember it being a big deal in the magazines or to fans. It was a big deal. Bikes are much much closer to the factory equipment today and if a rider was winning with production equipment the race announcers would be screaming it 10x a lap,

SCR
10/1/2015 8:52pm

UpTiTe wrote:
I rode the top bike in 82. I use to ride with Donnie a lot until he got hurt and one day after he wrapped up...
And ? You can't just say I rode a 82 works Honda and leave it at that. Was it as amazing as we all think it was.

Used to see Hansen race his maico in 75 - 76 at Valley cycle park . He was the coolest looking cat on the track. He rode for Socal Motor sport I think it was called and had really cool looking jerseys and matching gear. I think Billy Payne owned the shop ?
SCR
10/1/2015 9:09pm
MaxPower wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/09/29/106559/s1200_Honda_RC_055_910x614.jpg[/img] What I find even more amazing than Arno cutting laps 6 seconds quicker on the works bike is that RJ and Glover were beating these...

What I find even more amazing than Arno cutting laps 6 seconds quicker on the works bike is that RJ and Glover were beating these bikes on POS 82 YZ250s and 490s, As a vintage guy, the 82 YZ is the only YZ I wouldnt want to own
I wonder if the Honda guys were thinking to themselves as they were riding balls out to keep with these guys "How are they going so fast on those loads?!?"

I find it amazing that they were competitive with the production based bikes. At the time I dont remember it being a big deal in the magazines or to fans. It was a big deal. Bikes are much much closer to the factory equipment today and if a rider was winning with production equipment the race announcers would be screaming it 10x a lap,

I have thought the exact same thing. I had a 81 yz250 and was dissapointed when I rode my friends 82. Slower than the 81 wich wasn't a rocket to start with. And the rear end didn't work for shit. Obviously the factory bikes were different but they couldn't of stood a chance against the Hondas. I think it shows how good Glover and Johnson were.
notme
10/1/2015 9:17pm
I totally agree with Maxpower as well, did the guys on the works hondas get lazy? You would think RJ and BG couldnt stay anywhere near a red bike. Wasnt it hannah who once said, if you cant win on a works honda, you should quit, or something similar.
TTperra
10/3/2015 2:38am

UpTiTe wrote:
SCR wrote:
And ? You can't just say I rode a 82 works Honda and leave it at that. Was it as amazing as we all think it...
And ? You can't just say I rode a 82 works Honda and leave it at that. Was it as amazing as we all think it was.

Used to see Hansen race his maico in 75 - 76 at Valley cycle park . He was the coolest looking cat on the track. He rode for Socal Motor sport I think it was called and had really cool looking jerseys and matching gear. I think Billy Payne owned the shop ?
X2
10/3/2015 5:09pm
If memory serves me correctly the AMA production rule was introduced in 85 and implemented January of 86. Yamaha began using production based bikes in 84 In 82 Yamaha would have been works bikes, but we know what Hannah thought of his "tub of sh@t" What is amazing is what the concept of works meant to each of the companies. Honda is still living off those laurels and Yamaha is responsible for killing open bikes and two strokes.....okay the AMA helped.
MaxPower
10/4/2015 4:07am Edited Date/Time 10/4/2015 4:12am
I'm not clear on your post Halfast. Are you saying the 82 bike RJ rode was a Works machine? Yamaha has raced production bikes before . Hannah won the 77 Daytona on a stone stock YZ 250 and raffled it off after the race
ATKpilot99
10/4/2015 11:33am
MaxPower wrote:
I'm not clear on your post Halfast. Are you saying the 82 bike RJ rode was a Works machine? Yamaha has raced production bikes before...
I'm not clear on your post Halfast. Are you saying the 82 bike RJ rode was a Works machine? Yamaha has raced production bikes before . Hannah won the 77 Daytona on a stone stock YZ 250 and raffled it off after the race
I was leafing through an old MXA (I tend to do that sometimes) that covered Hangtown '82 and it said RJ was on a production based machine. He won btw. There wasn't a production rule yet but Yamaha had already started going that way here.
SouthwestMfg
10/5/2015 9:26am
I was a mechanic for a Yamaha support rider in 1982 (Eric McKenna). Yamaha had three factory riders in 250mx nationals that year (not SX), Broc Glover, Scott Burnworth and Rick Johnson. Johnson rode a production bike, Broc and Scott rode full works bikes.

The 82 Honda works bikes (all sizes) were very trick and them some. Rick beat Donnie straight-up several times, the bike he raced was a production bike. I know this because I pitted with them (Yamaha) and new Ricks mechanic, Bob Oliver (still at Yamaha, still at the nationals, the engine guy I believe now, supports all the satellite teams). Broc and Scott had full factory bikes, Broc was ran the Simons UDX forks that year. Rick was on-it all year and came real close to taking the title, a little anxious at the last race cost him.

One more time, those 82 Hondas were in my opionion THE coolest works bikes ever. The rear brake linkage to "soften" under braking, the monocoque sub-frame (airbox / everything one-piece). Lots of real cool ideas / technology on those bikes. Not that many of the team riders used the rear brake link system, Sun was the only open riding running it (my rider was in the 500 series that year). Way cool bike, still did not overcome a "way motivated" rider - Rick Johnson. Sixteen years old, did not care about all the tech stuff, just wanted to win ! (very nice guy even at sixteen).
DoctorJD
10/5/2015 11:25am
I was a mechanic for a Yamaha support rider in 1982 (Eric McKenna). Yamaha had three factory riders in 250mx nationals that year (not SX), Broc...
I was a mechanic for a Yamaha support rider in 1982 (Eric McKenna). Yamaha had three factory riders in 250mx nationals that year (not SX), Broc Glover, Scott Burnworth and Rick Johnson. Johnson rode a production bike, Broc and Scott rode full works bikes.

The 82 Honda works bikes (all sizes) were very trick and them some. Rick beat Donnie straight-up several times, the bike he raced was a production bike. I know this because I pitted with them (Yamaha) and new Ricks mechanic, Bob Oliver (still at Yamaha, still at the nationals, the engine guy I believe now, supports all the satellite teams). Broc and Scott had full factory bikes, Broc was ran the Simons UDX forks that year. Rick was on-it all year and came real close to taking the title, a little anxious at the last race cost him.

One more time, those 82 Hondas were in my opionion THE coolest works bikes ever. The rear brake linkage to "soften" under braking, the monocoque sub-frame (airbox / everything one-piece). Lots of real cool ideas / technology on those bikes. Not that many of the team riders used the rear brake link system, Sun was the only open riding running it (my rider was in the 500 series that year). Way cool bike, still did not overcome a "way motivated" rider - Rick Johnson. Sixteen years old, did not care about all the tech stuff, just wanted to win ! (very nice guy even at sixteen).
Wasn't 82' the year that RJ destroyed a wheel at the final round, costing him the championship? I think were it not for that DNF he would have won the whole thing.
SouthwestMfg
10/5/2015 2:12pm
Over jumped on downhill and broke the front wheel (spokes). Stoped for a wheel, Bob sprinted back to the van, took awhile, Rick finished the moto. Donnie only need a few points in the 2nd moto. Picture up above is from that race, Ricky won moto two if I remember but Donnie won the title.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
10/6/2015 2:37am Edited Date/Time 10/6/2015 2:40am

UpTiTe wrote:
SCR wrote:
And ? You can't just say I rode a 82 works Honda and leave it at that. Was it as amazing as we all think it...

I didn't get the full effect of the bike because I didn't spend enough time on it and I didn't want to crash so I didn't pudh it the way it needed to be. The suspension was very plush until mid stroke and then it was just to stiff for me, because I wasn't going as fast as it needed. The one thing that stuck out for me was how hard the front could tske a big straight edge bump and not even twitch.

The motor didn't hit very hard on the bottom, it just made nice power that kept pulling hard all the way through, it was fast and very managable.

The brakes were incredible, better then early ptoduction disc, I almost sent myself over the bars with them.

The Two things that really stuck out to me were the power delivery and the brakes.

I tested for Suzuki in the 80s and rode some trick stuff, it was right there feeling wise with anything I rode.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
10/6/2015 2:52am
MaxPower wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/09/29/106559/s1200_Honda_RC_055_910x614.jpg[/img] What I find even more amazing than Arno cutting laps 6 seconds quicker on the works bike is that RJ and Glover were beating these...

SCR wrote:
I have thought the exact same thing. I had a 81 yz250 and was dissapointed when I rode my friends 82. Slower than the 81 wich...
I have thought the exact same thing. I had a 81 yz250 and was dissapointed when I rode my friends 82. Slower than the 81 wich wasn't a rocket to start with. And the rear end didn't work for shit. Obviously the factory bikes were different but they couldn't of stood a chance against the Hondas. I think it shows how good Glover and Johnson were.
In defense of Donnie, he DNFed two motos that year, one at Hangtown and one at Saddleback, he won more motos then anyone and more overalls then anyone. The races that he did win he dominated.

That bike of RJs was far from stock, yamaha went to great lengths and spent a bunch of money on that bike to make it look stock. RJ told me his bike worked much better then what the factory guys were riding that year and it was better then his 83 works bike.
MaxPower
10/6/2015 2:47pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2015 2:47pm
My point or anyone elses point as Im reading it here isnt that Donnie didn't ride well or that he sucked but rather how good Rick Johnson and Broc Glover rode their Yamahas.

There seems to be a conflict of opinion here where one person says that they were full on works bikes and another person says they are modified production bike and both have ties to the old race team.
Even if they are full blown works bikes Rick and Broc were riding, just look at design between the Honda and Yamaha. The Honda looks like it's from future world and the Yamaha looks like it would be at home on a dairy farm.

The Im a no one. I don't know any former Yamaha riders or mevhanic. but i know what ive read and seŕ as a fan. I never heard any Team racers saying how great their Yamahas were working in any interviews past or recent.
Broc akso beat DB on a production looking Yamaha for a 500 championship. Im only saying I dont think those guys got the props they deserve .

We as old fans were so lucky to witness the greatest time in the history of MX.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
10/6/2015 4:02pm
RJ rode that bike great, im not disputing that, but everyone says that RJ lost because of a broken wheel in the last round, when in fact if Donnie had not had the two DNFs, he wouldve had at leadt one more win and wouldve wrapped up the title a round early.

In 82 RJ was on a highly modified production bike and Broc was on a works bike.
SCR
10/6/2015 8:07pm
UpTiTe wrote:
I didn't get the full effect of the bike because I didn't spend enough time on it and I didn't want to crash so I didn't...
I didn't get the full effect of the bike because I didn't spend enough time on it and I didn't want to crash so I didn't pudh it the way it needed to be. The suspension was very plush until mid stroke and then it was just to stiff for me, because I wasn't going as fast as it needed. The one thing that stuck out for me was how hard the front could tske a big straight edge bump and not even twitch.

The motor didn't hit very hard on the bottom, it just made nice power that kept pulling hard all the way through, it was fast and very managable.

The brakes were incredible, better then early ptoduction disc, I almost sent myself over the bars with them.

The Two things that really stuck out to me were the power delivery and the brakes.

I tested for Suzuki in the 80s and rode some trick stuff, it was right there feeling wise with anything I rode.
Thanks for the ride report even if you weren't in a position to ride it full out, understandably. Still cool to hear what it was like from one of the few people that got to ride one of these bikes.
barkhard696
10/6/2015 8:28pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2015 8:31pm
"What if" counterfactual conjecture is interesting, but I don't know I believe that 2 more races for Holeshot = 1 or more wins. It's possible, but then again, perhaps he could have been injured and put out for the season .. Perhaps he and RJ could have had a Saddleback Massacre Pt.2.

Point is, Donnie finishing more races doesn't necessarily mean that he would have won them. He was the fastest guy on the fastest bike, but then so was Bailey in '84 on his RC500 against Glover and his air-hammer 490.

Going into the last round in '82, the facts are, RJ needed to just finish marginally ahead of Donnie to win the championship. Maybe people hold onto their versions of how or why because of how special that time was we were blessed to live through .. I know I do.

Incidentally, Yamaha used the success of RJ in '82 to justify their production-based race bike effort starting in '84. Suzuki also raced mostly production-based bikes that year also.
SouthwestMfg
10/7/2015 7:20am
Good conversation all around. Don't need to defend Donnie, he was "The" man in 1982. A lot of "what if's" left after he was injured ending his career. Just meant to point out how much go-for-it Rick had at 16. That season was a dog-fight with Rick Johnson, Donnie Hansen and Broc Glover going down to the wire. Rick never had it "in the bag", only 6 point seperation in the end between 1st-3rd. Warren Ried was not that far off in 4th on a support ride Suzuki.

Let's just say that relative to what teams run as "production" bikes now, the Yamaha Rick raced would be considered "stock". Not taking anything away from what the guys a Yamaha did to the bike or time spent. The top of the thread, that Honda was and still is IMO quite bad-ass !

UpTiTe, really appreciate your opinions / post. Much respect for anyone who's done time at the national level, it's seriously hard ! (you would think that only reading Vital post's !) Oh and "a piece of wood" with "3rd" on it - very cool !

1982 - we can all speculate on what the Motocross & Trophee des Nations would have been like if Donnie would have raced. He won the last 250 GP in Sweden before being injured . . .

barkhard696
10/7/2015 8:40am
Didn't MXA do some type of analysis that the 2 championship(s) Holeshot pulled down in '82 were the most impressive in terms past and future champs he had to beat? Seem to have heard this somewhere. Think about how many stone badasses were around and in their primes in '82.

What a great era those days were! Now we've got, what, 1 or 2 top guys and that's it?

Hannah had some really interesting points (all anti) the production based rule the AMA imposed. I don't think there's ever been any doubt these years were also incredible for the factory bikes, Honda being the King of the Hill in this respect.
SCR
10/7/2015 8:53am
Two things for sure. Those early 80s Hondas were the trickest looking bikes ever. Real formula one stuff.
And Hansen was the man on a 250 in 82.
Prairieboy43
10/7/2015 8:17pm
Good conversation all around. Don't need to defend Donnie, he was "The" man in 1982. A lot of "what if's" left after he was injured ending...
Good conversation all around. Don't need to defend Donnie, he was "The" man in 1982. A lot of "what if's" left after he was injured ending his career. Just meant to point out how much go-for-it Rick had at 16. That season was a dog-fight with Rick Johnson, Donnie Hansen and Broc Glover going down to the wire. Rick never had it "in the bag", only 6 point seperation in the end between 1st-3rd. Warren Ried was not that far off in 4th on a support ride Suzuki.

Let's just say that relative to what teams run as "production" bikes now, the Yamaha Rick raced would be considered "stock". Not taking anything away from what the guys a Yamaha did to the bike or time spent. The top of the thread, that Honda was and still is IMO quite bad-ass !

UpTiTe, really appreciate your opinions / post. Much respect for anyone who's done time at the national level, it's seriously hard ! (you would think that only reading Vital post's !) Oh and "a piece of wood" with "3rd" on it - very cool !

1982 - we can all speculate on what the Motocross & Trophee des Nations would have been like if Donnie would have raced. He won the last 250 GP in Sweden before being injured . . .

Jobe- "Another fast American, How many do they have"?
Kees van Der Ven- "Does California have Sand"?
Donnie-" I thought swedes were blonde"?
Trophy Girl- ?? Evil

Post a reply to: Cool 82 works Honda story

The Latest