Chicken Farm Mx Park Florida

KCL469
Edited Date/Time 5/25/2018 10:21am
Does anyone remember Chicken Farm Mx Park in Homosassa Springs Florida? If so, can you remember what road it was off? Thanks.
|
croom mx
5/29/2010 6:06am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2010 1:00pm
The road is called West Grover Cleveland Blvd. The track is gone but there is a sand mine behind the old track. Some of my photos show the track. It was a great place to ride. I use to practice there sometimes 2 days a week back in 1982. Raced there alot, you had to been in good shape because the whoops were somtimes about 5 feet deep!
BVS40FL
5/29/2010 7:08am
By far my favorite track ever. I always had my best races there. I wonder if I went faster there , or if the big sandy whoops just slowed the fast guys down a little so I could keep up ? Oh well, also rode my only FTR hare scrambles event there. I think it was about an eight mile course that included the MX track. Forget how many laps we went. Probably 3 or 4.
I do remember the road came out onto US 19 at Homosassa Springs.
5/29/2010 7:47am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:11pm

I also really liked Chicken Farm, and have some great memorys from there, the picture is coming up the hill jump or out of the pit, buts its very old and slowly fading along the edges, but its the only picture i have from there
5/29/2010 11:52am Edited Date/Time 5/29/2010 11:52am
Sandiest starting area I can remember. They used to hold the Mini Olympics there for years. Hare scramble and MX. Then over to Ocala Speedway for the short track and TT portion of the event.

The Shop

gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
5/29/2010 1:45pm
,, I also really liked Chicken Farm, and have some great memorys from there, the picture is coming up the hill jump or out of the...

I also really liked Chicken Farm, and have some great memorys from there, the picture is coming up the hill jump or out of the pit, buts its very old and slowly fading along the edges, but its the only picture i have from there
Still a cool pic.

I remember being a little intimidated of that track before practice, but I only raced there on 50's.

After I raced there it was my favorite at the time.

DJ KC
Fantasy
452nd
5/30/2010 8:29am
Hey Greg... Great to see you at the forums... OMG... The Farm was one of my all time favorite tracks... Loved that place.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
5/30/2010 11:57am
Go to the photo gallery for some of my old pictures of Chicken Farm
Great pics!!!

I really like the one of Don Kuldowski.
5/30/2010 12:34pm
Great pictures. Arthur North on the Suncoast Honda ride. In '79 ,that shop handed out a lot of bikes to Bay area A riders. I remember watching Kudalski leading Hannah in '78 at the St.Pete round of the Winter AM. The Harley was swapping all over the place, and Killer had to finally relent to the Hurricane.

Also was standing right next to the spot where Hannah's throttle cable came loose from the slide at the '77 500 National at St.Pete, costing him the title.

Rumor has it the slide spring was put in upside down, and the sharp edge of the spring got under the little retaining plate,lifting it out of place,which allowed the cable to come loose.

Also spotted Larry Mayhew, Kevin Foley, Doug Longwell,David Jones.

Cycle News contributor Mike Adair on the pit bike. I wonder if Anne kept all of the photo work from those Florida MX days after Mike passed?

Team Florida. Suzuki rider Bob Allison was also on the team. That was a cool deal.

Thanks again, Sis. Good memories of simpler times.
croom mx
5/30/2010 1:02pm
Go to the photo gallery for some of my old pictures of Chicken Farm
Photo number 4 is Kenny Keylon and John Reinholt year is 1978.
dean.calhoun
4/22/2011 4:46pm
Born and raised in FL. Rode Chicken Farm many times with my best high school friend - Larry. Used to work for Barneys out of St Petersburg. Knew of Kippy Pierce, Monte McKoy and other FL hotshots. Was fun.
edgo897
4/28/2011 5:08am
BVS40FL wrote:
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/mcy/2344616373.html

Just happened to check craig's list today and look at this ad.
Anyone remember who this might be ?

1978 125 A #14
croom mx wrote:
John Olten? or Kippy Pierce?
Was there a national in 1978 at Chicken Farm? Don't remember that one. It was my farorite track too. I have a couple of trophys with the roostin rooster logo on them.
croom mx
4/28/2011 6:33am
edgo897 wrote:
Was there a national in 1978 at Chicken Farm? Don't remember that one. It was my farorite track too. I have a couple of trophys with...
Was there a national in 1978 at Chicken Farm? Don't remember that one. It was my farorite track too. I have a couple of trophys with the roostin rooster logo on them.
I think he means Winter National 1978, some call it Winter AMA races.
JineTC
5/6/2011 3:50am
Born and raised in FL. Rode Chicken Farm many times with my best high school friend - Larry. Used to work for Barneys out of St...
Born and raised in FL. Rode Chicken Farm many times with my best high school friend - Larry. Used to work for Barneys out of St Petersburg. Knew of Kippy Pierce, Monte McKoy and other FL hotshots. Was fun.
If you're the Dean Calhoun I knew from PVTI, you also turned wrenches on Bob Hannah and John Savitski's YZ-250s ridden in the '79 Winter-AMA series. If so, have you seen the Snack "B" lately?
mquehl
7/1/2011 4:38pm
This is cool, found a web site that has a bunch of us old guys remembering Chicken Farm. I am going through old photos right now and found some - working on loading them up this weekend. Loved that sand pit! Malcolm
zippy895
7/1/2011 5:09pm
mquehl wrote:
This is cool, found a web site that has a bunch of us old guys remembering Chicken Farm. I am going through old photos right now...
This is cool, found a web site that has a bunch of us old guys remembering Chicken Farm. I am going through old photos right now and found some - working on loading them up this weekend. Loved that sand pit! Malcolm
about time u posted.lol
mquehl
7/1/2011 6:55pm
Well I have been busy with raising the family and shit/ I know should have been on here awhile back. Still into the racing but been busy with the MTB racing son who is now a Pro Downhiller- Ethan and I have one who has no love at all for Moto- got no idea why but hes that way- Reese who is a very good guitar player- plays in the contemperary band at his church. That hard rock Jesus music actually pretty cool. Working on restoring old bikes again and gonna be hitting up some AHRMA races soon. Hope to see you guys around.
mquehl
7/1/2011 7:39pm
So give me the skinny, Havent been checking up on all in a long time. JR is where? (Rhienholdt) Jeff Hope? I know Fred Van Wagoner is gone, Kenny Keylon has a son racing pro now, Todd Hempsted? Karl Jordan? Mark Murphy? All the rest? Thanks
7/1/2011 8:28pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2011 6:49am
Kenny Keylon has 2 sons that race,last i heard Todd Hempstead lives in Brandon,Fla,also heard Karl Jordan lives in Largo,Fla and works for Honeywell, about 2 blocks from where his parents live or used to,Mark Murphy lives in Naples, Fla and owns a fence company called Tropicana Fence, i think he took it over from his Dad Paul (RIP) Mr. Murphy.
I know you didnt mention Joe Cartier, but hes an old friend of mine, and hes a boat mechanic, well shop manager now, for a company in Clearwater , Fla.
Seems like alot of ex Floridians post, in either the Chicken Farm or Old Florida Pics, threads.
Edit; Mark Murphy is from Ft Meyers, not Naples
KCL469
7/1/2011 10:14pm
I recently went back to the area that was Chicken Farm, and rode around on a Kawasaki Mule with my girlfriend to check it out. The area has some really big hills, covered in grass and some roads to get around on. That is still alot of land. Guess it was used as a pit for sand or clay at one time, no longer. I was thinking how cool it would be if someone made it back into a motocross track again. Doesnt look like anything goes on there now, or has for a while. Kinda sad.
croom mx
7/3/2011 6:09am
John Reinholt lives in Orlando his sister says.
mquehl
7/3/2011 12:03pm
Thats cool, anyone know what he has been up to? How about Steve Martin? Jeff Hope? I think I heard Pat Post was still in Gainesville area?
croom mx
7/3/2011 5:21pm
Hello Malcolm, I use to race alone side of you I think you were a little faster than me at the time but I was there. Steve martin lives in st pete, Monty macoy live in tampa jeff hope I dont know? Pat post I dont know, Pat Post is who landed on Todd Hempestead broke his back. I know all the all old school riders just ask!
mquehl
7/3/2011 7:59pm
We used to have some fun though didn't we? When did Pat land on Todd? ANyone of us old guys still kickin it? I would race from time to time after 1990 but not often. Go do a HS or something. Last one was 08. Had alot of fun races at the Farm. I still remember the first open a class race I did there i had just installed a Fox Airshox on my YZ 400 and had the pressure wrong. Bought the shox and the Simons fork off of Gary Shultz- Got all out of shape with feet flying and Pat Post thought I was trying to kick him? Thats was a day to remember.

I have a bunch of those old memories from StPete, Gatorback, Cocoa Beach, could probably write a book
mquehl
7/3/2011 8:00pm
There is another one you are forgetting about Bob Meyers 74 to 76 time frame. His kid Josh is a big time BMXer.

Post a reply to: Chicken Farm Mx Park Florida

The Latest