Carlsbad Raceway... so sad on what's left

anniebertmojo
Edited Date/Time 2/20/2019 12:41pm
Ok... feeling a little sad. Yesterday the Mrs. and I decided to take a drive to Del Mar with the dogs to let them run on the beach. On the way back, we stopped off at Carlsbad Raceway to see what's left (not much). What a shame. This once great track is now nothing of it's former self. (Devils Drop in background) To see what's left of this track is really depressing.

Then to think positive, I started thinking of all the great races that were held at the track. I had the privilege to race at this track, along with Saddleback, Escape Country, Ascot, Corona, Indian Dunes, Claude Osteen, and OCIR as a teenager in the heyday of So Cal MX. I think back to the fun I had back then and all the competitive racers that came from that era.

I searched YouTube and came up with a lot of Carlsbad Races to relive memories. But this stuck me the most (besides MM win in 1980). It's a CMC Golden State Race from 1987. Look at how many pro's are on the gate at Carlsbad. Amazing...

Enjoy -

|
observer
10/20/2010 5:59pm
Cryin' shame...
they can't take our memories away...
Mr. G
10/22/2010 4:18pm
Remember the freeway sign that said "Carlsbad Raceway"? I own that. Well used to. I was going through my stuff the other day and I can't find it. Probably left it at a previous residence. I have been thinking about stopping by and asking the current resident if it is in their garage attic. Breaks my heart. My wife couldn't really see the value but I'm sure you guys do. By the way I bought it at a swap meet it Oceanside many years ago for $5.00!
Mr. G
10/24/2010 8:45pm
Man you are right. I just read your response to my wife and she is laughing. We are going over there this weekend.

The Shop

jmc2
Fantasy
1679th
11/1/2010 9:21pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2010 9:27pm
My parents and I would make the trek from AZ to Carlsbad yearly from 77-83 to attend the USGP.

Both of my parents are gone now, but my wife and I took our kids to Legoland last year which is just a few miles away and we stopped by the old track.

Sure seemed strange walking a track when there were thousands of spectators on raceday. Here are a few photos...

Bill163
11/2/2010 4:09pm
jmc2 wrote:
My parents and I would make the trek from AZ to Carlsbad yearly from 77-83 to attend the USGP. Both of my parents are gone now...
My parents and I would make the trek from AZ to Carlsbad yearly from 77-83 to attend the USGP.

Both of my parents are gone now, but my wife and I took our kids to Legoland last year which is just a few miles away and we stopped by the old track.

Sure seemed strange walking a track when there were thousands of spectators on raceday. Here are a few photos...

It looks like you can still build another track out there.
Mini Elsinore
11/2/2010 6:14pm
jmc2 wrote:
My parents and I would make the trek from AZ to Carlsbad yearly from 77-83 to attend the USGP. Both of my parents are gone now...

Bill163 wrote:
Nah, that would be like necrophilia. Wink
bultokid
11/2/2010 7:57pm
Sad.....how much of that commercial real estate park is vacant ??
anniebertmojo
11/3/2010 7:24am
bultokid wrote:
most of the commercial park is vacant where the track sits...
bultokid
11/3/2010 9:57am
bultokid wrote:
Sadly, I figured that would be the case. We are very lucky here that Rio Bravo is still going and enjoying a revival.
Mini Elsinore
11/3/2010 2:29pm
bultokid wrote:
....two years free with a five year lease. I'm sure they are bank-owned at this point.

But hey, JT is supposed to be coming out of mothballs. Maybe Jannard will buy the business park and build the track around it! One of those empty buildings would make an excellent new HQ's for JT. Okay, okay, I may be a bit delusional on this topic. Somebody pass the Snickerdoodles.
jmc2
Fantasy
1679th
11/3/2010 5:20pm
There were some vacant buildings around there when we went last year, so an industry type could move in there...
Bill163
11/3/2010 8:13pm Edited Date/Time 11/3/2010 8:14pm
jmc2 wrote:

Bill163 wrote:
Simple legit statment have not been out there after the work. While I get the humor its a reach to compare it to screwing dead people.
Mini Elsinore
11/4/2010 4:44pm
Bill163 wrote:
Bill163 wrote:
Simple legit statment have not been out there after the work. While I get the humor its a reach to compare it to screwing dead people.
Hence the emoticon. No offense intended.
jmc2
Fantasy
1679th
11/4/2010 10:26pm
A few more...

Bill163
11/5/2010 9:12am
Bill163 wrote:
Hence the emoticon. No offense intended.
None taken.
BM255
1/12/2015 8:23pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2015 9:14pm
Sorry to resurrect this thread guys, however I wanted to share a short story with you all.
I was at LEGOLAND with my wife and kids over New Years and decided to pay my respects to the motocross Gods so to speak.
I have never been to Carlsbad before and so never saw the original track except on old vids posted on YouTube. I have however always had a fascination with Carlsbad Raceway, as a young kid the first time I ever saw MX on TV was in the movie On Any Sunday 2 where Brad Lackey featured at the USGP at Carlsbad. I was particularly amazed by Devils Drop, the freeway and huge downhills. To me it represented motocross in it's purest form incorporating all the elements, rough, fast, and challenging where your bravery was either rewarded or punished. From that point onward I was hooked on the sport and I used to imagine going to the US and riding the legendry Carlsbad track.

So on New Years day I slipped away from LEGOLAND and entered the address of the Carlsbad Raceway Business Park into my GPS and headed off. Once there I was completely disoriented and couldn't work out where the track used to be, I sat in the car and looked up old pictures of the facility until I finally got my bearings. The site has obviously been extensively redeveloped and so initially I thought there was no trace of the track remaining, I was about ready to leave when I spotted a small pocket of land that looked overgrown. With a bit more research online I recognised that it was in fact the old start straight, I jumped into the car and drove around the back of some commercial buildings, parked up the car, walked down the embankment to the old fence and climbed over.
At this point I was ecstatic that not only had I located the site of the old track but that some of it was still intact, I felt like I was 10 years old again walking the track of legends. I stood at the start gate, looked down the straight to the first turn and imagined what it would have been like to line up and battle for the holeshot, it was quite a powerful experience.
From there I walked the start straight, round the first turn, 2nd turn and following straight up until the face of the 1st jump which is where it now ends, (it's basically a swamp in there now). The whole area is really starting to get overgrown now so it was hard for me having never been there before to work out where the other parts of the track should be, however I managed to locate Devils Drop and the uphill section leading up to it. I stood on the top of the drop and thought back to when I first saw it on TV, it seemed like it was 100 feet high to me back then, but standing there on top of it I was slightly disappointed in it's real scale.

That is all of the track that still exists today, It was a very surreal experience for me, I had wanted to see this track for the last 30 years, I finally get there and it is all but gone, it is a public holiday and there is nobody around, just me and this fragment of a former motocross Mecca. I have to say my emotions turned from elation to almost sadness.

The reality is that this section of the old facility has been put aside as a nature and bird sanctuary (an agreement between the city and the developer apparently) so it will remain as is for years to come. It is almost completely overgrown now, so I am pleased I got to see it (even though just a tiny portion of it) before it disappears completely.

It's weird that this place had such an impact on me, perhaps that's just what Carlsbad does to people!

It's interesting to note that the majority of the properties have yet to be built on, seems a waste that the facility was demolished for commercial properties that nobody actually wants!

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience, here's some pics from my visit.

Concrete pad on the old start gate
 photo 20150101_135852.jpg

Start straight
 photo 20150101_141228.jpg

First turn
 photo 20150101_135723.jpg

Exit of first turn looking toward turn two
 photo 20150101_140456.jpg

Exit of turn two looking down the straight toward the jump
 photo 20150101_140540.jpg

Uphill section toward Devils Drop
 photo 20150101_135534.jpg

Face of Devils Drop
 photo 20150101_135543.jpg

Standing on top of Devils Drop
 photo 20150101_135604.jpg

Looking back up Devils Drop
 photo 20150101_140412.jpg

Overlooking the first turn from the old fenceline
 photo 20150101_141501.jpg

Another view of the remaining site from the business park road
 photo 20150101_142420.jpg

An untouched section of the old GP track at the western end of the park
 photo 20150101_133706.jpg
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
1/12/2015 9:57pm
Thanks for Sharing the memories!
nytsmaC
1/13/2015 2:04am
Abandoned race tracks and factories both get to me.

Thanks for the pics.
Ditto. Good thread!
Uncle Tony
1/13/2015 5:37am
Wow hate seeing Carlsbad like that, all the history there,just over grown
Wahtash
1/13/2015 6:25am
Kind of reminds me of this...

1/13/2015 8:56am
Wahtash wrote:
Kind of reminds me of this... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/01/13/76833/s1200_papessl.jpg[/img]
Kind of reminds me of this...

hahah, I think I was 11 or so when that movie came out. Think I'll look at this this weekend.
Yep, me too, abandoned factories, tracks etc. Things change, life goes by faster every year.
yzweldon
1/13/2015 12:27pm
I've been there 3 times in the last few years any time I find myself in SoCal. The first time when I tried to find the track I asked several locals where the track was and no one knew what the hell I was talking about. It was really depressing that hardly anyone in the town has any idea of the history that went down in their own town
anniebertmojo
1/13/2015 7:03pm Edited Date/Time 1/13/2015 7:06pm
Thanks for the update... I remember the first time I went down the start, going under the bridge, up the freeway, down the freeway and down Devils Drop. It was so surreal for me. I was more a Saddleback guy, but we went to Carlsbad every other weekend following the CMC racing monthly schedule. I went back to Saddleback last year with a old racing buddy and had the same experience waking around the place. Here's a picture of being in the pits (looking up to the ledges and the telephone pole is Suicide Mountain) at Saddleback and me back in my PC days going down Devils Drop

AZ35
Fantasy
544th
1/13/2015 9:00pm
So sad, but really great to see that something is still there.

Most every other iconic track gets bulldozed into buildings or houses.

Like Saddleback, it amazes me that large portions of the original actual track area are still somewhat undeveloped?

It was such big news 30 years ago that they were both closing due to development and encroachment.

Yet 30+ years later, even given the massive socal growth, much of that land is still vacant?

Even Indian Dunes from what I have read is still somewhat undeveloped?

Amazing to see the current day pics, thanks for posting and sharing the stories.
dynohut
1/13/2015 9:56pm
At least you can still walk the complete Namur track and give a tip 'O the cap to the random MTN bikers on the circuit. Carlsbad and Saddleback nope. Sucks
swatdoc
1/13/2015 11:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/13/2015 11:57pm
Very sad - cryin shame. Such good memories of that place. Not just racing myself, but being there for the first moto win by an american - Jim Pomeroy, then later for the miraculous Marty Moates win.

Was a great track. Still have some old photos.

BM255
1/14/2015 12:20am
Thanks for the update... I remember the first time I went down the start, going under the bridge, up the freeway, down the freeway and down...
Thanks for the update... I remember the first time I went down the start, going under the bridge, up the freeway, down the freeway and down Devils Drop. It was so surreal for me. I was more a Saddleback guy, but we went to Carlsbad every other weekend following the CMC racing monthly schedule. I went back to Saddleback last year with a old racing buddy and had the same experience waking around the place. Here's a picture of being in the pits (looking up to the ledges and the telephone pole is Suicide Mountain) at Saddleback and me back in my PC days going down Devils Drop

That's a cool photo of you going over Devils drop! Is that a PC Husky?

Post a reply to: Carlsbad Raceway... so sad on what's left

The Latest