Canyon Raceway '82-'84

mxvet37
Edited Date/Time 7/6/2019 5:42pm
Anyone have any good pics from the 125 Intermediate or Expert class from back in the day? Any AZ track pics from around that time? Thanks. Dave Fouquette
|
AZMX11
8/25/2009 9:47pm
Hi Dave,
My name is John Kennedy and I raced out there in 1977-1983. I've got some old pictures of Doug Butcher, Mark Meridith and other old schoolers . I think I raced with some of your friends. I can scan them and email them to you. Did you live in Scottsdale?
DT
10/7/2009 6:04pm
Hey this is Dave Townsend... I used to race AZ from 81 - 85 in the amateur and expert classes with all those cats, Chappy Blose, the Dirks bros, Bobby White, Robert Mason, Mark Meridith, Doug Butcher, Bryan Brunner, Shaun Hilton, etc... I remember you John. I'd dig on seeing some old pics. I'll try do dig up some myself and post.

On a sad note, I just found out today that Troy Blake died on Aug 31st. That is very sad news. He and I were good friends we went to high school together and rode all the time.

There's a site that has been put up for him.

http://troyblake.com/

mxnut23
10/10/2009 7:36am
Any of you guys do any desert racing during that time?? I remember the Dirks bros. tearing it up. My dad used to race desert in the time you guys are talking about, he also raced mx but it was before 76.

The Shop

mxvet37
10/22/2009 10:44pm
Hey John and Dave,

It's Dave Fouquette. I know both of you guys. John, I knew you when you raced 125 Int. in 1981. I moved up to the Int. class at the very end of '81. You ran #36 on a Yamaha, right? I think that I ran #37 on a Yamaha at that time. I'd love to see any pics that you have from that time.

Dave, we raced 125 Int. together in 1984. I was on a KX125 that year and ran #117. I worked for Bill Young and fixed you up with some extra cool stuff when you won one of the AZ summer night race series. I ended up 2nd.

Do either of you guys still ride? I got back into it in 2002 after 18 years off. I've been riding pretty consistently. I try to stay in touch with Doug Butcher and some of the MX crew from the good old days.

I live in California and drove out for Troy Blake's funeral. It was an amazing service. He was a remarkable guy. Incredibly giving and as we all know, very talented. Really sad that he passed. He will be missed.

Dave Fouquette

KW
10/24/2009 6:38am
test
KW
10/24/2009 6:40am
Hey Boys! Keith Watkins here. Glad to know you guys are still out there. Had great times racing with you back in the day!
mxvet37
10/29/2009 11:26pm
Hey Keith! Those were some of the best times and memories ever. Anyone know how Dennis Parker is and what he's up to? Great guy. I saw his brother Wes a few years ago while riding at Speedworld. He had just picked up a new bike and was getting back into it.
DF
AZ35
Fantasy
544th
11/6/2009 6:03pm
DT wrote:
Hey this is Dave Townsend... I used to race AZ from 81 - 85 in the amateur and expert classes with all those cats, Chappy Blose...
Hey this is Dave Townsend... I used to race AZ from 81 - 85 in the amateur and expert classes with all those cats, Chappy Blose, the Dirks bros, Bobby White, Robert Mason, Mark Meridith, Doug Butcher, Bryan Brunner, Shaun Hilton, etc... I remember you John. I'd dig on seeing some old pics. I'll try do dig up some myself and post.

On a sad note, I just found out today that Troy Blake died on Aug 31st. That is very sad news. He and I were good friends we went to high school together and rode all the time.

Here are a few old Canyon pics, I have hundreds but my Mom selfishly took 99% of them of me. I have a few others that I will post when I have time, I have pics from 82-87 at tracks all over AZ.
Dave, I think you are in the holeshot pic? I also see Mark Moen (?), Tom Hunt, Tony Gaines, Greg Conradson, Doug Butcher, and Scott Booher but a few I don't know.

Shawn Hilton checks in a here a few times, great shot of him on the #92 Kawi.

Last one is Bobby Moore and John Moran (not sure who 22 was?).

I also have a short 3 minute video clip that was shot on 8mm in 83, I had it converted to DVD last year. Has mostly mini int action (that was my class in 83), but also has Troy Blake, Johhny O', Drey Dircks, etc from one of those Cycle Am races in late 83. No sound and crappy video images, but still great to watch. Also has Jimmy Button on a 60. If I ever learn how to upload videos I will post. Just learned how to post pics so I guess I am pretty close.
AZ35
Fantasy
544th
11/6/2009 6:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 6:49pm
DT wrote:
Hey this is Dave Townsend... I used to race AZ from 81 - 85 in the amateur and expert classes with all those cats, Chappy Blose...

AZ35 wrote:
Here are a few old Canyon pics, I have hundreds but my Mom selfishly took 99% of them of me. I have a few others that...
Here are a few old Canyon pics, I have hundreds but my Mom selfishly took 99% of them of me. I have a few others that I will post when I have time, I have pics from 82-87 at tracks all over AZ.
Dave, I think you are in the holeshot pic? I also see Mark Moen (?), Tom Hunt, Tony Gaines, Greg Conradson, Doug Butcher, and Scott Booher but a few I don't know.

I also have a short 3 minute video clip that was shot on 8mm in 83, I had it converted to DVD last year. Has mostly mini int action (that was my class in 83), but also has Troy Blake, Johhny O', Drey Dircks, etc from one of those Cycle Am races in late 83. No sound and crappy video images, but still great to watch. Also has Jimmy Button on a 60. If I ever learn how to upload videos I will post. Just learned how to post pics so I guess I am pretty close.
OK, I guess I am not close to figuring out how to post pics.....

I downloaded the pics to photobucket, then entered the URL that was assigned to those pics by photobucket. But no pics? Maybe I should ask my 7 year old to help me, she knows computers better than I do.....
mxvet37
11/8/2009 6:27pm
NIce! Did you try to copy and paste the IMG? There are a few different URL's on Photobucket. If that doesn't work, any chance you could email me some of the pics?

You could also upload the video to Vimeo and post the URL. Thanks! Dave Fouquette voiceovr@pacbell.net

As soon as I get some time, I'm going to get a scanner. I have a bunch of good pics from '79 to '84.
OLDAZMXR
11/9/2009 3:38pm
Nice to see some of you old Canyon MXR's are still around. I would like to see some of the photos from back in the day. This is #75 250/Open pro back in 1983 ? Any quess's ?
I still live in AZ and now work for Seadoo PWC. I still ride from time to time and hook up with some of the old timers out @ Grindstone MX in FT McDowell area.
mxvet37
11/9/2009 3:57pm
Of course, I know... Mr. Scott Stallard AKA Mr. Holeshot. How are you? I'm living in Chatsworth, CA. Got back into riding in 2002 after about an 18 year layoff. I know Victor Sheldon and mentioned you a while back. Hope you're doing well. Dave Fouquette
OLDAZMXR
11/9/2009 6:05pm
I'm doing very well thx. I was with Victor @ the World Finals in Lake Havasu three weeks ago. I still talk to him every so often. He was just promoted to brand Mgr of Slippery When Wet, so I will probably see him more often. I saw he took 8th at the Vet Nationals last week. Are you racing or just hitting the tracks for practice ? Bummer about Troy Blake. I wished I could have attended the funeral.
mxvet37
11/9/2009 10:31pm
I didn't realize that Victor left Thor... Hope it's for the better. I take it you're working in the Jet Ski industry?

I pretty much just ride the tracks on the weekend. Occasionally, I'll pop into a Vet race just to mix it up. I'm having almost as much fun now as I was back in the day.

Really sad and tragic about Troy Blake. I actually drove out for his funeral. It was really touching. The stories that were shared about him were amazing. He was an incredibly generous and giving guy. And as we all knew, very talented on a motorcycle.

Did ever get back into riding?
hilton92
8/16/2010 9:48pm
AZ guys, just was checking this forum and saw the thread. Cool to see everyone and see that you guys are still riding. I'm living across from the "ranch" still if you get a chance stop in and say hello. Scott, been awhile. If you chat with Victor tell him I said hi. Townsend, still remember the yellow chevy lol. Dennis Parker is in Las Vegas last I talked to him. Good to hear from you guys.

Shawn
mxvet37
8/16/2010 10:20pm
Shawn, get yourself a 450 to ride just for fun. AZ has some nice tracks!
DT
9/14/2010 11:01am
DT wrote:

AZ35 wrote:
Here are a few old Canyon pics, I have hundreds but my Mom selfishly took 99% of them of me. I have a few others that...

AZ35 wrote:
OK, I guess I am not close to figuring out how to post pics..... I downloaded the pics to photobucket, then entered the URL that was...

I downloaded the pics to photobucket, then entered the URL that was assigned to those pics by photobucket. But no pics? Maybe I should ask my 7 year old to help me, she knows computers better than I do.....
Hey man, did you ever manage get the pics posted somewhere? I'm dying to check them out.

If not, can zip them and send them to me: dave.townsend01@gmail.com

I can post then up on flickr for us all to see.

-Dave Townsend
mxvet37
9/14/2010 12:15pm
Anyone remember the name of the guy who use to take photo's on a regular basis out at Canyon in '83 and '84? He would shoot a lot of the 125 Intermediate/Expert class. Super nice guy, just can't remember his name. Dave Fouquette.
Butcher
10/18/2010 12:49pm
Great to see that everyone is doing good. We had some great times back in the day. Dave, I don't remember a guy taking photos, wasn't it Pam Hardin?
mxvet37
10/18/2010 2:40pm
Butcher wrote:
Great to see that everyone is doing good. We had some great times back in the day. Dave, I don't remember a guy taking photos, wasn't...
Great to see that everyone is doing good. We had some great times back in the day. Dave, I don't remember a guy taking photos, wasn't it Pam Hardin?
Pam's stuff was mostly for Cycle News. There was a guy who took lots of pics for a while, of our class and others. I thought you knew him. I know he knew you and me.
8/1/2014 10:58pm
AZ35 wrote:

AZ35 wrote:
OK, I guess I am not close to figuring out how to post pics..... I downloaded the pics to photobucket, then entered the URL that was...

DT wrote:
Hey man, did you ever manage get the pics posted somewhere? I'm dying to check them out. If not, can zip them and send them to...
Hey man, did you ever manage get the pics posted somewhere? I'm dying to check them out.

If not, can zip them and send them to me: dave.townsend01@gmail.com

I can post then up on flickr for us all to see.

-Dave Townsend
Not sure if anyone still looks at this but Scott Bawden (111) here. I have some photos if anyone still follows this and would like some.
mxvet37
8/1/2014 11:21pm
Hey Scott, sure! Post them up. If you have any difficulties, you can email them to me and I can post them. Thanks. Dave Fouquette voiceovr@pacbell.net
8/4/2014 10:36pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2014 10:38pm
mxvet37 wrote:
Anyone have any good pics from the 125 Intermediate or Expert class from back in the day? Any AZ track pics from around that time? Thanks...
Anyone have any good pics from the 125 Intermediate or Expert class from back in the day? Any AZ track pics from around that time? Thanks. Dave Fouquette
Here some of a pretty fast kid on a KX, can't remember his name, something like the ''Flying Foe'' I think he got a Factory ride shortly after these pictures were taken. Wink

MMoen
7/6/2019 3:24pm
Butcher wrote:
Great to see that everyone is doing good. We had some great times back in the day. Dave, I don't remember a guy taking photos, wasn't...
Yes Pam was that photographer. There was a friend of mine racing a Suzuki that I know has lots of photos, Garo Rolnick.
mxvet37
7/6/2019 4:34pm
Butcher wrote:
MMoen wrote:
Yes Pam was that photographer. There was a friend of mine racing a Suzuki that I know has lots of photos, Garo Rolnick.
Hey Mark,

Didn't you brake your front axel in 1982 landing on your CR125 at Canyon in the 125 Int class? I was right next to over the same jump. Dave Fouquette
MMoen
7/6/2019 5:42pm
mxvet37 wrote:
Hey Mark, Didn't you brake your front axel in 1982 landing on your CR125 at Canyon in the 125 Int class? I was right next to...
Hey Mark,

Didn't you brake your front axel in 1982 landing on your CR125 at Canyon in the 125 Int class? I was right next to over the same jump. Dave Fouquette
Yes. And the year was 1983. It was the Kyle Flemming Memorial race.

Post a reply to: Canyon Raceway '82-'84

The Latest