Can the brake stopper be straightened?

Edited Date/Time 6/30/2019 7:18pm
My 1986 CR125 brake stopper is bent. What is the best way to attempt to straighten it?
|
sandman768
6/29/2019 5:48pm
Yep, don’t try to straighten it on the bike, you will break the brake plate, take it off & lay it on the ground, use a piece of wood, like 2+4”s, under each end of the arm, rubber or plastic hammer, strike down right where it is bent up, may take a few blows but it will come back, I just repaired a pretzeled arm on my 87RM125.

The Shop

6/29/2019 9:20pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2019 9:22pm
Thanks! I had the bike all apart. Now it is going back together.
6/30/2019 6:50am
sandman768 wrote:
Yep, don’t try to straighten it on the bike, you will break the brake plate, take it off & lay it on the ground, use a...
Yep, don’t try to straighten it on the bike, you will break the brake plate, take it off & lay it on the ground, use a piece of wood, like 2+4”s, under each end of the arm, rubber or plastic hammer, strike down right where it is bent up, may take a few blows but it will come back, I just repaired a pretzeled arm on my 87RM125.
I have it all apart.
JMCR250
6/30/2019 6:30pm
As someone said, take the stay arm to a machine shop with a press. Should be a $10 fix.

BTW, after doing this a couple of times on our vintage bikes, I finally figured out how it happens. When you put the bike the on the stand not quite centered, the stand bends the arm. Since that "Eureka" moment, no more bent stays.
6/30/2019 7:18pm
JMCR250 wrote:
As someone said, take the stay arm to a machine shop with a press. Should be a $10 fix. BTW, after doing this a couple of...
As someone said, take the stay arm to a machine shop with a press. Should be a $10 fix.

BTW, after doing this a couple of times on our vintage bikes, I finally figured out how it happens. When you put the bike the on the stand not quite centered, the stand bends the arm. Since that "Eureka" moment, no more bent stays.
Thanks for the info and the insight as to how it happens.

Post a reply to: Can the brake stopper be straightened?

The Latest