Cagivarna WMX 125

Related:
Create New Tag

2/20/2018 1:32 PM

I picked up a nice "Cagivarna" WMX 125 yesterday. It was supposed to be an '89 Cagiva, but it turned out to be a '90 Husqvarna. I know they are the same bike, but I always wanted a Cagiva since those were new.

It's actually in really good shape cosmetically, except for the black shrouds looking really nasty (as black plastic always does). I think that I am going to make it look like the '89 Cagiva since 1) I really like the color scheme/graphics of that year and it seems readily available, and 2) I can't find any reproduction graphics for the Husky.

Mechanically, the only thing that I know it needs for sure is the rear chain guide and new rear spokes. Also, the kick start lever just kicks freely, as if it isn't attached to anything. Oh, and it has loose sprocket bolts too, haha. I am going to replace everything in the engine, after I source all of the parts first.

If anyone has a good source on parts, please let me know. This will probably be a slow going project though.

Photo

|

2/20/2018 2:08 PM

Awesome find. I have 3 Cagivas I race in the Northwest (83 125, 88 125 and 250).

The 89 Cagiva/90 Husky model seems rarer than the 88s but it's nice because you get a rear disc and adjustable forks and 19" rear wheel. For 1990 there was a brand new Italian Husqvarna 125 in Europe but the US got leftover 89 Cagivas with Husqvarna seat covers and graphics.

With about 3 contacts you can get everything you need. There is a guy in West Virginia with a lot of parts, I got an 89 NOS conn rod and piston kit from him that I used last year in my 88 build (89 got a longer rod and shorter piston and is supposed to run better and it's a configuration the factory 125's used in Europe but didn't come production until 89) Halls Husqvarna in Illinois has a good deal of OEM parts and a guy in Italy is a Cagiva guru and is remanufacturing a ton of parts. Last fall he worked with Scalvini to build a cone pipe that is now available for the WMX 125 and they're in the process of building a 250 pipe.

You're welcome to ask me anything but the best source for info is facebook. I'd say join facebook just for the Cagiva WMX group. There you can find parts, info, all the pdf files of the parts fiche and old dealer bulletins and info. Add 8000 to any Cagiva part number and it will come up in Husqvarna parts lists if it's available. EVO-MX is the best source for 89 Cagiva decals.

|

2/20/2018 2:12 PM

Here's a shot of my 88
Photo

|

2/20/2018 7:30 PM

These turned out nice!

Photo

|

2/21/2018 12:24 PM

Your bikes are really sweet. I agree, that pipe is really nice. I'll have to get one if it'll fit my bike.

What is the part compatibility like from year to year? The engine looks like it's been the same for quite some time. Are there any chronic problems that I should look for?

|

2/21/2018 2:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/22/2018 2:13 PM

That basic motor package came out in '85 but it got quite a few updates each year to increase performance and reliability. You'd really have to look up each individual part to be sure depending on what you're needing. Some parts will be the same from 85 and into the mid 90s on the Husqvarna 125.

If you can't find the 89 piston you can use the 85-88 but you'd need to use the rod too (like how I put the 89 piston/rod in my 88). The 88 and earlier Cagiva 125's can use a KX 125 piston.

The 87 came with a Keihin carb but the rest have Dellorto's. The 87 and up has a different cylinder with different cooling routing.

Cagiva was well ahead of KTM at this era in MX and these bikes are really well built and modern feeling. It's funny, but the things the magazines complained about on them just makes me think they were ahead of their time. Dirt Bike said it has a flat seat/tank with "sit on it" ergos instead of "sit in it" like the other bikes. Well if you ride new bikes thats exactly what we have now. Buddies who ride 80s Honda's sit on my Cagivas and are like....holy crap, this doesn't even feel like a Vintage bike.

I've got lots of little tricks to really dial them in. You can use new KTM foot pegs, and you can find Fast By Ferracci bar mounts in 7/8 or 1 1/8" for the 2000s Husqvarna's that raise the bars up. I use a 2000s Husqvarna CR/WR 250/300 shift lever on the 125.

I'd say the biggest thing to watch is to get the right size piston. Cagiva had the first Nikasil Coated Cylinders and they have much tighter tolerances that the japanese bikes. It's important to get the right size piston for your cylinder.

85 and 86 125 World Champion and 2nd in '87 and '88....I'd say they knew how to build pretty good bikes. The 89 you have is based on the bike Strijbos raced in '88. Most remember Jean Michel Bayle as the Champion that year, but Strijbos on the Cagiva beat him most of the year....the title came down to the final moto

|

2/22/2018 5:46 AM

KHI Guy wrote:

I picked up a nice "Cagivarna" WMX 125 yesterday. It was supposed to be an '89 Cagiva, but it turned out to be a '90 Husqvarna. I know they are the same bike, but I always wanted a Cagiva since those were new.

It's actually in really good shape cosmetically, except for the black shrouds looking really nasty (as black plastic always does). I think that I am going to make it look like the '89 Cagiva since 1) I really like the color scheme/graphics of that year and it seems readily available, and 2) I can't find any reproduction graphics for the Husky.

Mechanically, the only thing that I know it needs for sure is the rear chain guide and new rear spokes. Also, the kick start lever just kicks freely, as if it isn't attached to anything. Oh, and it has loose sprocket bolts too, haha. I am going to replace everything in the engine, after I source all of the parts first.

If anyone has a good source on parts, please let me know. This will probably be a slow going project though.

Photo

That's a cool bike. I have a '90 250 that someone gave me years ago that I just haven't got around to doing yet. I was told years ago that Cagiva never actually brought '89 models into the US because of what was going on with them and Husky and the fact that the Husky name would take over from Cagiva in '90. I don't know how true that is but I have never seen an '89 Cagiva in the US so it kinda made sense. It's funny because even though it's a "Husqvarna" every nut and bolt has either Cagiva or the elephant on it and I remember a buddy had a new 250 in '93 and all the nuts and bolts still had Cagiva on them.

|

2/22/2018 12:20 PM

wpark89 wrote:

That basic motor package came out in '85 but it got quite a few updates each year to increase performance and reliability. You'd really have to look up each individual part to be sure depending on what you're needing. Some parts will be the same from 85 and into the mid 90s on the Husqvarna 125.

If you can't find the 89 piston you can use the 85-88 but you'd need to use the rod too (like how I put the 89 piston/rod in my 88). The 88 and earlier Cagiva 125's can use a KX 125 piston.

The 87 came with a Keihin carb but the rest have Dellorto's. The 87 and up has a different cylinder with different cooling routing.

Cagiva was well ahead of KTM at this era in MX and these bikes are really well built and modern feeling. It's funny, but the things the magazines complained about on them just makes me think they were ahead of their time. Dirt Bike said it has a flat seat/tank with "sit on it" ergos instead of "sit in it" like the other bikes. Well if you ride new bikes thats exactly what we have now. Buddies who ride 80s Honda's sit on my Cagivas and are like....holy crap, this doesn't even feel like a Vintage bike.

I've got lots of little tricks to really dial them in. You can use new KTM foot pegs, and you can find Fast By Ferracci bar mounts in 7/8 or 1 1/8" for the 2000s Husqvarna's that raise the bars up. I use a 2000s Husqvarna CR/WR 250/300 shift lever on the 125.

I'd say the biggest thing to watch is to get the right size piston. Cagiva had the first Nikasil Coated Cylinders and they have much tighter tolerances that the japanese bikes. It's important to get the right size piston for your cylinder.

85 and 86 125 World Champion and 2nd in '87 and '88....I'd say they knew how to build pretty good bikes. The 89 you have is based on the bike Strijbos raced in '88. Most remember Jean Michel Bayle as the Champion that year, but Strijbos on the Cagiva beat him most of the year....the title came down to the final moto

You certainly have a wealth of knowledge of these bikes! I also remember the Dirt Bike reviews from era, and I agree the Cagiva doesn't seem to be as weird as what I was expecting. Granted, I haven't gotten to ride it yet. I did have a '91 KTM 125 years ago, and that bike did have a certain level of "goofiness". For some reason though, I always liked the Euro bikes.

Hopefully parts will be plentiful enough that I won't be afraid to ride it. I'm anxious to see if the engine is the top end screamer that the magazines said it was.

|

2/22/2018 12:34 PM

vmx3 wrote:

That's a cool bike. I have a '90 250 that someone gave me years ago that I just haven't got around to doing yet. I was told years ago that Cagiva never actually brought '89 models into the US because of what was going on with them and Husky and the fact that the Husky name would take over from Cagiva in '90. I don't know how true that is but I have never seen an '89 Cagiva in the US so it kinda made sense. It's funny because even though it's a "Husqvarna" every nut and bolt has either Cagiva or the elephant on it and I remember a buddy had a new 250 in '93 and all the nuts and bolts still had Cagiva on them.

I think I remember hearing that about he 89's as well. I know that in '88 and prior, there were a few fast guys around my area riding Cagiva's. After the name change, I never saw a new Husky on a MX track until the early 2000's.

There was a dealership close to me that pushed Cagiva's for MX and Husky's for Enduro and Cross Country/Hare Scrambles. After '88, they only sold KTM's. I was surprised they managed through the 90's with just KTM's, but they seem to be doing really well now.

That's so true about the Husky hardware. My bike has the elephant and the Husky gunsight on the triple clamps and handlebars.

|

2/22/2018 12:40 PM

An interesting fact about my bike; the build date is really early, 05/89 and the serial number is in the low 20's. That lends proof that the 1990's were just leftovers from 1989.

|

2/22/2018 12:53 PM

There were some 89 Cagivas in the US but they came out late. I'd have to dig it out but in the Dirt Bike 89 125 shootout there is a blurb about the 89 Cagiva not being in the shootout because of it being late with the reorganization of Cagiva/Husky.

Originally they intended on keeping both brands, Cagiva was going to be the MX brand and Husky for Off-Road and Enduro, but I guess that got too complicated and everything just got branded Husqvarna.

I raced a Husky CR 125 and 250 in 2002 and even then there were still elephants and "Cagiva" stamping on lots of little parts.

I'd say ride it....that's what they're made for and you're not going to hurt anything that's any harder to find than for any brand of 89 125. I've had good luck finding or cross referencing anything for my Cagivas, yet I've had a hard time trying to help buddies find 80s Honda parts that are no longer available.

|

2/22/2018 2:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/22/2018 2:56 PM

Mine is away in storage...but if anyone can dig it out I know Dirt Rider tested your bike in 1990 (89 Cagiva with Husky logos) I can picture the test rider in Green Yoko gear. Your bike looks to be in really solid shape...the hardest part to find is good side panels and it looks like you're good to go there.

Just adding a note: it's August 1990 Dirt Rider with Jeff Ward on the cover and it say's "Killer Deal on Italian Steel"
Halls has a parts book for your bike online..

https://www.halls-cycles.com/images/PDF/Husqvarna%20.PDFs/1990-1994/90_wmx-wxe_125.pdf

|

2/24/2018 1:39 PM

KHI Guy wrote:

I picked up a nice "Cagivarna" WMX 125 yesterday. It was supposed to be an '89 Cagiva, but it turned out to be a '90 Husqvarna. I know they are the same bike, but I always wanted a Cagiva since those were new.

It's actually in really good shape cosmetically, except for the black shrouds looking really nasty (as black plastic always does). I think that I am going to make it look like the '89 Cagiva since 1) I really like the color scheme/graphics of that year and it seems readily available, and 2) I can't find any reproduction graphics for the Husky.

Mechanically, the only thing that I know it needs for sure is the rear chain guide and new rear spokes. Also, the kick start lever just kicks freely, as if it isn't attached to anything. Oh, and it has loose sprocket bolts too, haha. I am going to replace everything in the engine, after I source all of the parts first.

If anyone has a good source on parts, please let me know. This will probably be a slow going project though.

Photo

If you are ever looking to get rid of this bad boy let me know. I have been wanting a Cagiva from an early age but they wrapped up US sales before I got off of minis.
Cheers,
Nick

|

2/24/2018 9:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2018 9:09 PM

In 88 I was on a KX80 BW but damn did I dream of buying other bikes. The Cagiva 125 being one of them. If I could I’d buy that bike too. Thanks for sharing guys.

Ghost

|



2/24/2018 9:09 PM

I had a 87 and sold it too cheap!

|

2/25/2018 7:18 AM

Ok thanks guys! Been googling Cagiva bikes until late last night and first thing this AM. I’m in Northern Ohio. Maybe I’ll see a few at Mid-Ohio???

Ghost

|



2/25/2018 6:48 PM

Wpark89,
What is your current email?
I may need to ask a few questions down the road.lol

Thanks, Ghost

|



2/25/2018 7:12 PM

No problem. Anytime you need anything send me a message

wparkermx@hotmail.com

Just weird I guess but I had a new YZ 80 in 88 and I wrote a letter to Cagiva asking if they had any plans to make a WMX 80. I think they sent me some stickers. I saw Mike Healey's WMX 250 in the pits at the Seattle SX that year and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Nick, check out the 85 that Ryan Lester has for sale in California...good price for a good looking and complete Cagiva.

|

2/26/2018 9:32 AM

wpark89 wrote:

No problem. Anytime you need anything send me a message

wparkermx@hotmail.com

Just weird I guess but I had a new YZ 80 in 88 and I wrote a letter to Cagiva asking if they had any plans to make a WMX 80. I think they sent me some stickers. I saw Mike Healey's WMX 250 in the pits at the Seattle SX that year and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Nick, check out the 85 that Ryan Lester has for sale in California...good price for a good looking and complete Cagiva.

Not to hijack but here's some better pics of my bike for sale.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

3/1/2018 1:31 PM

|

3/1/2018 1:43 PM

Cool looking bike and good price! Here's a little more info in case the ad gets deleted...

Photo

1990 husqvarna cagiva 250 competition bike - $750 (Littlerock)

Hi I am selling my cagiva dirtbike its an Italian made competition 250mx 2 stroke husqvarna and it is fast!text or call if interests! They don't make these bad boys anymore but they were top of the class in 1990! Runs great 6612362428

|

3/2/2018 7:39 AM

wpark89 wrote:

No problem. Anytime you need anything send me a message

wparkermx@hotmail.com

Just weird I guess but I had a new YZ 80 in 88 and I wrote a letter to Cagiva asking if they had any plans to make a WMX 80. I think they sent me some stickers. I saw Mike Healey's WMX 250 in the pits at the Seattle SX that year and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Nick, check out the 85 that Ryan Lester has for sale in California...good price for a good looking and complete Cagiva.

wpark89 - I will send you an email this weekend regarding Cagiva parts but a quick question on that (90) 250 that is listed, how difficult is it to get parts and are they all rare and costly. What should I be looking out for with this particular bike and does Scalvini do a pipe for this Cagiva as well?
Thanks, Nick

|

3/2/2018 8:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/2/2018 12:02 PM

I wouldn't be worried about parts or cost. Prices are going to be the same as building anything.

WP Suspension came on Cagivas, KTM's, ATK's so parts are out there. DC Makes plastic that's not perfect but fine for racing (I wouldn't like a full set of it, but if you have to use a few pieces it's no big deal). Nuts/Bolts/Bearings/Seals can all be found (I cross reference to Husqvarna or KTM parts). EVO makes all the graphics and seat covers. Wossner/Vertex/ or OEM pistons. PRO X rod from newer Husqvarna 250 works. UFO has fork guards for the 4054s and a front fender and number plate that are a really close match to the original.

Dynoport makes a pipe/silencer. I have an UP TITE Racing pipe on my 250 Cagiva (shop in SoCal made them and it's what the Cagiva supported riders used). The Scalivini pipes are a project with an Italian guy named Niccolo and I believe must be pre ordered. He sells them at a fair price but I don't believe it's something Scalvini is going to put in their catalog. Niccolo is taking orders and finding bikes to work with Scalvini on fitment. He runs the Cagiva WMX group on facebook and also reproduces vented front number plates, chain sliders, rubber parts, and a ton of misc parts.

Go for it!

Looks like the shock has been swapped out for an Ohlins..

|

3/2/2018 12:10 PM

This was the POS I started with....
Photo


Photo

|

3/3/2018 6:07 PM

wpark89 wrote:

This was the POS I started with....
Photo


Photo

Great job on the revival and the bike sure came out sweet. I just went to buy the 90 Cagiva 250 that is listed but it is in sad sad shape. Sounded like the bottom end was on its last leg but that could have just been the bailing wired pipe and silenced that was rattling off of the frame and motor...

There was not a single part that didn’t need to be replaced to ever feel safe enough to put it on a track. Had cash on me but I did not want to even make a low offer as it was in bad shape and he seemed to think it was race ready.

|