CR250 value

oldman125
2/27/2015 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2018 2:53pm
I found a 93 CR250 for sale the other day...it appears to be in great, very original shape. Any ideas to what it's worth retail wise?
|
OldMechanik
2/27/2015 7:29pm

The post is gone now so I assume it's sold, but what a find! Hopefully it went to a good home.
Looked like original tires, sprox and even plastics/decals.
barkhard696
2/27/2015 8:00pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2015 8:01pm
That's a '92 and generally the more original the condition + overall condition = value. I've seen super low hour '91s go for $4K or more, but in general the benchmark is $2500. Less than great shape you start deducting from there.

One way to deal with a "best offer takes it" is tell the person you will top the highest bid by $100 (or some other amount). If the guy comes back with, "I was offered $5000 for it" then you know you're being bullshitted and go back to the $2500 benchmark.

At lot guys will say, the bike is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Part of this process is deciding how much you value acquiring the bike, and what kind of budget you are looking at overall.

The '92s were noted for their particularly translucent pink-red plastic, every year after Honda went to a more red color. The plastic looks very original in itself an indicator (along with the OEM sprocket) that this is an low hour, unmolested bike. Hard to find, and the '92-6 steelies were outstanding bikes.
oldman125
2/28/2015 11:36am
Thanks barkhard, I wanted to pick it up as a flip hoping someone from here would buy it to keep original. Great looking for a 92! I was looking forward to a few laps on it.
CHaynes
2/28/2015 4:47pm
I actually was the lucky buyer! It is bone stock! Everything except the clutch lever. Only bummer is dry rot. But we'll worth what I paid!

The Shop

notme
2/28/2015 7:39pm
Congrats, great score!
barkhard696
2/28/2015 10:47pm
Hey C, post up some good pics when you have a chance! Very cool score
CHaynes
3/1/2015 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2015 2:27pm
So the worst of it is the broken chain slider, broken upper chain roller and the rotten shock bumper. There is a little bit of surface corrosion so that will have to be handled. If any one has some good set up tips for this particular year CR please let me know. I did read Eric Gorrs book and the section that dealt with this bike. This bike runs really crisp and has good compression. I will say this bike sat a lot more than it was ridden. The picture of the new air filter is a very good site though! The guy knew about bikes and how desirable the steel frame CR's are, but he was trying to get money for a new street bike and obviously didn't ride this thing. And lastly, if anyone can make good recommendations for replacement plastic I would really appreciate it. I like the brighter red of the 92-94 Hondas and I know different companies have varying ideas of what color red matches this the closest. I know Honda calls this Nuclear Red, but not sure who offers a good match aftermarket.
MaxPower
3/1/2015 2:25pm
I remember something in 92/93 where Honda had released some kind of bulletin where they has gusseted the frame in a few places to fix a flex issue the Team Guys like Jeremy could detect. I'm guessing 94 and later bikes had the problem corrected . I wouldn't begin to know where to look for it. I imagine it had to be in Dirt Bike or MXA because in 1993 the Internet was for nerds
barkhard696
3/1/2015 3:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2015 3:36pm
>And lastly, if anyone can make good recommendations for replacement plastic I would really appreciate it.

Acerbis comes closest, but their 92-6 stuff is discontinued. UFO is pretty good.

The '92 shade was ONE year only. All the other shades of Nuclear red, even the '93, is going to be darker. Try Dirk Timmer but the replacement NOS plastic is going to be pricey.

You can take out the white creases by heating up the plastic with a heat gun and then use of towel to rub out the stress marks.

Phil Cox, the owner of Plastic Renovations can also restore the plastic.

Shame about the corner of the seat. Those colors were silk-screened and the digital printing palate used by modern graphics/set companies are too dark. I've hear good things about the guy from Thailand who sells seatcovers on eBay.

For set-up and the recall MaxPower is referring to, do a search here on Vital, there was a guy who started a thred on his '92 resto and both topics are discussed by Dogger315.
barkhard696
3/1/2015 3:39pm
Here's Dogger's post from that thred:

"You got yourself quite a project there.

The 92 CR250 was a major redesign for Honda and was the last version of the steel framed CRs.
There were some problem areas. Engine wise, the new case design did not flow enough oil between
the transmission and the right side case cover, so clutch problems were common. Honda came out
with a fix which consisted of drilling a couple of holes in the right side case. The problem was corrected
by 93. The other problem was swingarm failures between the extruded and cast section. The common fix
for this was a weld repair for the cracks and to run more chain slack and a larger OD bottom chain roller
from a 91 CR250.

Good luck with it.

dogger"
CHaynes
3/1/2015 4:59pm
Barkhard- Thanks for the input! I didn't know about using the larger bottom roller, and since I need new ones, that will be on the list! I will probably just buy a complete extra set of plastic and another seat that I can use to ride it. Im definitely going to ride and possibly race this bike. Anyone have any pro/con advice on upgrading to a 19" rear rim? Might need to respoke the wheel, not sure if spokes are seized but I soaked them with WD 40 already just in case.
barkhard696
3/1/2015 6:19pm
Go to a 19" It's going to weigh less and give you a wider variety of tire choices
OldMechanik
3/3/2015 10:49am
CHaynes wrote:
I actually was the lucky buyer! It is bone stock! Everything except the clutch lever. Only bummer is dry rot. But we'll worth what I paid!
I

HATE

YOU
Anaxdlere
3/3/2015 12:21pm
That bike looks to be in great shape. I just got a '92 CR250 and it is in rough, rough shape. I am hoping to do a moderate type restore and maybe make for a good Cinderella story. I wish it looked as good as this one though! Wow. Can't wait to see more pics.
CHaynes
3/14/2015 4:15pm
Nothing really notable at this point. I have some parts on order for it and once I get them I will tear into the bike and see what the real condition is. May need more parts at that point, but will handle that as needed. It needs the shock and fork seals replaced so I will probably have the shock revalved while its getting rebuilt. I will take pics as the build moves forward and document things. I have some ideas for cool things I want to do, but it will happen as money allows. I'm saving money for tax time cause I owe every year, so this will be a slow build.
oldman125
4/14/2016 11:19am
Anything going on with the CR?? Get it restored and back in the dirt??
CHaynes
4/15/2016 2:47pm
Quick update on the bike! About this time last year, when the weather finally broke, I took the bike for a test ride in the dirt. The thing ripped for being a bone stock 23 year old mx bike! Ran nice and crisp. I set my sights on restoring it, just a really slow resto. I have been slowly accumulating bits and pieces over the last year. As it sits right now the final pieces of the puzzle are powder coat frame and have shock rebuilt. Im deciding which wheels to use since I was able to get a set of 95 wheels from a fellow Vital member. Also contemplating getting a twin chamber updated fork set up. There is a certain look that Im going for and that is the 93 Honda of Troy look. I found the ultimate hoard of NOS aftermarket seat covers and spent some time sorting through it to find a suitable replacement since the stock cover had a tear on the back of it. I did a quick mock up so I would have a decent idea of what the bike will look like, and I will post those pics with this. Also found a period correct PC works pipe with old style badge. It needed to be cleaned up but turned out pretty good and will only get better as the bike gets ridden and cleaned. While the motor is out of the frame I decided to do a top end on the bike. When I removed the head it all looked brand new! The cross hatch on the cylinder was incredible! Im hoping to have it wrapped up in a few months but in all honesty Im not really in a rush to finish it up. Also have a 95 CR 125 I'm slowly redoing as well.
Jim in VA
4/16/2016 12:15am
CHaynes wrote:
Quick update on the bike! About this time last year, when the weather finally broke, I took the bike for a test ride in the dirt...
Quick update on the bike! About this time last year, when the weather finally broke, I took the bike for a test ride in the dirt. The thing ripped for being a bone stock 23 year old mx bike! Ran nice and crisp. I set my sights on restoring it, just a really slow resto. I have been slowly accumulating bits and pieces over the last year. As it sits right now the final pieces of the puzzle are powder coat frame and have shock rebuilt. Im deciding which wheels to use since I was able to get a set of 95 wheels from a fellow Vital member. Also contemplating getting a twin chamber updated fork set up. There is a certain look that Im going for and that is the 93 Honda of Troy look. I found the ultimate hoard of NOS aftermarket seat covers and spent some time sorting through it to find a suitable replacement since the stock cover had a tear on the back of it. I did a quick mock up so I would have a decent idea of what the bike will look like, and I will post those pics with this. Also found a period correct PC works pipe with old style badge. It needed to be cleaned up but turned out pretty good and will only get better as the bike gets ridden and cleaned. While the motor is out of the frame I decided to do a top end on the bike. When I removed the head it all looked brand new! The cross hatch on the cylinder was incredible! Im hoping to have it wrapped up in a few months but in all honesty Im not really in a rush to finish it up. Also have a 95 CR 125 I'm slowly redoing as well.
Nice find! If you're doing the Honda of Troy replica, a have some of the original Honda of Troy shroud decals. I visited their shop back in '94 and was given a couple pairs. If interested, I'll take a couple of pictures.
CHaynes
4/16/2016 7:25pm
Jim in VA wrote:
Nice find! If you're doing the Honda of Troy replica, a have some of the original Honda of Troy shroud decals. I visited their shop back...
Nice find! If you're doing the Honda of Troy replica, a have some of the original Honda of Troy shroud decals. I visited their shop back in '94 and was given a couple pairs. If interested, I'll take a couple of pictures.
That would be great if you could! Since you live pretty close it would be easy to come out and pick them up!
Jim in VA
4/17/2016 8:27am
That sounds good, where do you live? I'm just outside of old town Fredericksburg. I'll do a little digging in the garage today. I know where 2 of the are right away, but have to see if I still have the others... It HAS been almost 22 years Shocked
CHaynes
4/17/2016 11:59am
I'm in Edgewater, just south of Annapolis. About an hour and a half to two hours from you.
Jim in VA
4/17/2016 3:25pm
That's cool, not a bad ride. Well, I easily found 2 of the decals, but they're both for the left side. I'll keep looking, but may be for nought... However you could probably use one of these to have a duplicate right side decal made.

CHaynes
4/17/2016 4:37pm
Jim in VA wrote:
That's cool, not a bad ride. Well, I easily found 2 of the decals, but they're both for the left side. I'll keep looking, but may...
That's cool, not a bad ride. Well, I easily found 2 of the decals, but they're both for the left side. I'll keep looking, but may be for nought... However you could probably use one of these to have a duplicate right side decal made.

I will take em! I have someone who could do the duplicating! Whats a good way to get in touch with you?

Post a reply to: CR250 value

The Latest