Bruce Bunch, Rick Hemme, Kyle Fleming

7/29/2010 11:30pm
Bump to the top of the page were this thread should be for the next several days in memory of some kids that lived the dream and left to soon . Yes webcokid mx history would have been different if it were not for that fatefull day . Here is to your friend bruce and to also ricky and kyle . May these boys be railing the turns in heaven.
peeps sr
8/3/2010 6:07am Edited Date/Time 8/3/2010 6:09am

Webcokid
10/26/2010 4:34pm
I found a nice 1979 Honda XR 80 pit bike, exactly like the one Bruce had back in the day. I bought it, and plan to restore it. We use to ride that bike all over the neighborhood and cause all kind of havoc. Looks like my new hood is in for some XR cross!

The Shop

nmachamp
11/4/2010 8:18am Edited Date/Time 11/4/2010 1:21pm
NW#599 wrote:
Looking back on the final season of racing for R&D Suzuki Mini riders Bruce Bunch and Rick Hemme... 1982 WORLD MINI GRAND PRIX 80cc STOCK...
Looking back on the final season of racing for R&D Suzuki Mini riders Bruce Bunch and Rick Hemme...

1982 WORLD MINI GRAND PRIX

80cc STOCK EXPERT 12+ RUN-OFF

1. Bruce Bunch, SUZ
2. Rick Hemme, SUZ
3. Paul Denis, KAW
4. Tyson Vohland, YAM
5. Bob Moore, YAM

80cc MOD EXPERT 12+ RUN-OFF

1. Bruce Bunch, SUZ
2. Larry Brooks, SUZ
3. Paul Denis, KAW
4. Rick Hemme, SUZ
5. Bob Moore, YAM

105cc MOD EXPERT RUN-OFF

1. Paul Denis, KAW
2. Rick Hemme, SUZ
3. Bruce Bunch, SUZ
4. Bob Moore, YAM
5. Tyson Vohland., YAM

NMA/Yamaha Grand National Championship:

Ponca City, Ok, July 27th - August 1, 1982

By Karel Kramer (Cycle News 1982): A Multitude of parent-pit-crews, over 1,000 riders from ages four to 21, four factory teams and equipment conservatively estimated to be worth $15 million-plus descended on the Oklahoma town of Ponca City for the National Motosport Association's Yamaha Grand National Championship Mototcross. For the entire six days of racing and practice, performances by the young riders were polished and professional. Unlike past years, there were no massive run-aways. Several riders scored convincing wins and double and multiple wins, but nobody won without working for their trophy or cash.

The week was marred by the tragic deaths of Suzuki riders Bruce Bunch and Kyle Flemming in a car-train accidient after the event was concluded. Suzuki's Rick Hemme and Oakley rep Dana Duke were seriously injured in the same accident.

1982: 83cc Stock Expert Class

By Karel Kramer (Cycle News 1982): Going into the final heat in the 83cc Stock Expert class, Paul Denis, Rick Hemme, Kyle Flemming (SUZ), Colorado's Kevin McKnight (KAW) and Ray Sommo were the low point men in the final heat.

Paul Denis went in with a perfect 1-1. Bruce Bunch, Tennesee's Doug Harrington (KAW), Larry Brooks, Tyson Vohland (HON), and Good Times National (TX) winner Danny Storbeck (YAM) were the top five from the second heat.

In the final, Paul Denis had the lead on the first lap and at the flag, but he had to work hard for it with Rick Hemme a threat in late laps.

With Paul Denis in the lead, Willie Surratt went past the scorers table in second after the first lap followed by Bobby Moore (YAM), Larry Brooks, Mike Healey (HON) and Rick Hemme who was in 5th.

Bobby Moore then past Willie Surratt to third as Rick Hemme began his charge, dropping a rider a position each lap. Bobby Moore passed Paul Denis for just a moment to take the lead, but when they came out of the woods he was in 5th and Denis was back in front.

Rick Hemme past Surratt on the 6th lap to move into second place. Bruce Bunch had moved up through the pack to also take Surratt on the same lap.

Rick Hemme then began to dop Denis for the lead the remainder of the race. Larry Brooks moved into 4th place and the R&D Suzuki team lined up in the 2, 3, and 4 spots.

That is how the top four would stay. At the checkered flag, it was Paul Denis (KAW), Rick Hemme (SUZ), Bruce Bunch (SUZ), Larry Brroks (SUZ) and Doug Harrington (KAW) had moved into the 5th spot.

The 83cc Stock class received somewhat more attention than usual. Kawasaki protested the factory supported stockers of Rick Hemme, Larry Brooks, and Bruce Bunch. Suzuki felt they were being harassed and protested all the stock Kawasaki's, 10 in all. There were some detail questions, but at least the first place Kawasaki of Paul Denis and the second place Suzuki of Rick Hemme were pronounced legal.

The teardowns were still in question at the time word was received of the accident involving the Suzuki team riders and all protests were mutually withdrawn. All four factory reps said that they would welcome teardowns of all winning bikes to avoid future problems.

1. Paul Denis, KAW
2. Rick Hemme, SUZ
3. Bruce Bunch, SUZ
4. Larry Brooks, SUZ
5. Doug Harrington, KAW

1982 83cc Modified Expert Class

By Karel Kramer (Cycle News 1982): Nearly the same faces were doing duty in the 83cc Modified class. Kawasaki, Honda, and Yamaha were all to have stock 1983 minis entered with only Suzuki running air-cooled 82's.

The '83 Yamaha didn't get a chance, nor did it's rifer Eddie Hicks. Eddie went down in a first turn pile-up in the first moto and jumped up and rode three laps before realizing that his leg was broken.

Paul Denis proved to be the holeshot king again and led every lap in the final on a pre-production 1983 KX80 single-strut water pumper. Kawasaki's seemed to dominate the starts at Ponca as Willie Surratt was again up front early along with Doug Harrington. Danny Storback was the only yellow bike in sight early and after the first couple laps found himself in 3rd place.

Doug Harrington would pass Storbeck to make it a Kawasaki trio up front and it would stay that way to the end.

Storbeck would finish fourth on his 1982 Yamaha (only '82 bike in the top five). The battle for 5th would be between Honda rider Mike Healey and Larry Brooks. Healey and Brooks had a battle on the last lap they won't soon forget. Brroks tried his move down the last straight, but Healey moved over on Brooks and slammed the door on him, nearly running him into the tires. Brooks displayed his displeasure with sign language while Healey took the flag.

Overall results combined from the heat races and final had Paul Denis take the win with Doug Harrington, Willie Surratt, Danny Storbeck, and Rick Hemme rounding out the top five places.

1. Paul Denis, KAW
2. Doug Harrington, KAW
3. Willie Surratt, KAW
4. Danny Storbeck, YAM,
5. Rick Hemme, SUZ

1982 105cc Modified Expert Class

By Karel Kramer (Cycle News 1982): Suzuki got to flex their muscles in the 105cc class thanks to the hard riding of Rick Hemme and a bit of bad luck on Paul Denis part. Denis had a solid lead in the race when his Kawasaki's front suspension stuck on full compression over a jump. With Denis out, Danny Storbeck grabbed the lead and hung tough to the flag. Rick Hemme began the race as far back as 12th place and hacked his way through the pack to third on lap five where he stayed till the flag.

Rick Hemme sewed up the overall with Storbeck second and Healey third. Larry Brooks and Doug Harrington finished out the top five in 4th and 5th respectively.

1. Rick Hemme, SUZ
2. Danny Storbeck, YAM
3. Mike Healey, HON
4. Larry Brooks, SUZ
5. Doug Harrington, KAW

Here is R&D's Dean talking about when the 83 KX80 surfaced at Ponca City in 1982:
MXA: What was the best mini-bike ever made?
Dean: "The biggest improvement in the mini bike arena was the introduction of the 1983 KX80. It was leaps and bounds ahead of the competition, Obviously, it would not compare with today’s standards, but, at that time, it made huge strides in engine performance as well as suspension. Needless to say, they kicked our butt. It took some time to overcome the technical advantages that they had achieved."
11/4/2010 1:49pm
Wow.....thank you Paul for opening up and sharing with us your side of this story, and I commend you for being completely transparent about the rollercoaster of emotions you were going through on that sad day back in 1982. I honestly never gave any thought to how that accident actually effected you....it took away more than just the lives of three young men. You are right Paul....Bruce, Rick, and Kyle got cheated.....and so did you. You accomplished something back then that I could only dream of, and even though that event will forever carry a dark clowd over it, I will always remember who became the 1982 NMA Grand National Champ!
11/6/2010 11:47pm
mxracer106 wrote:
Wow.....thank you Paul for opening up and sharing with us your side of this story, and I commend you for being completely transparent about the rollercoaster...
Wow.....thank you Paul for opening up and sharing with us your side of this story, and I commend you for being completely transparent about the rollercoaster of emotions you were going through on that sad day back in 1982. I honestly never gave any thought to how that accident actually effected you....it took away more than just the lives of three young men. You are right Paul....Bruce, Rick, and Kyle got cheated.....and so did you. You accomplished something back then that I could only dream of, and even though that event will forever carry a dark clowd over it, I will always remember who became the 1982 NMA Grand National Champ!
Very well said "mxracer106' Your comments on this topic are what alot people feel and carry with them. I know I do. I was lucky enough to be able to meet both Rick and Bruce prior to Ponca City that year. I was working as a motorcycle mechanic at a Suzuki dealership in La Habra at the time. The shop was about 8 miles from R&D racing in Norwalk. Its actually a couple of houses next door to each other (R&D racing). The parts manager at the Suzuki shop was good friends with Rudy & Dean. Mike Bell was the parts guy at our shop. Anyway , there were plenty of times Rudy would need parts and me and Mike would bring what he needed after work. So I got to know the Dickensons pretty well and was fortune enough to have them modify and set-up my 82 RM-125 z model. I can tell you that nobody does better work than R&D racing on Suzukis at least in my opinion. I got to meet those racers and 25 years later I met and talked with Paul Denis. I remember Rudy protesting the KX-80s thinking they may not had been legal. But the truth is that Paul was that good. Rudy had alot of respect for Paul Denis and his abilty. And anyone who had the privelage of meeting or seeing Rick, Bruce, Kyle, or Pual race knows that all 4 were championship caliber racers as well as individuals and true champions. They left me with some good memories that are still with me! They are gone but not forgotten. All are special, very special.
nmachamp
11/10/2010 7:21am
Webcokid wrote:
It's 1982 and Bunch has taken the wholeshot at Saddleback. I see #4 Larry Brooks, and I think Troy Blake #5. Can anyone name the rest...

It's 1982 and Bunch has taken the wholeshot at Saddleback. I see #4 Larry Brooks, and I think Troy Blake #5. Can anyone name the rest? #1 on the Honda? Kawasakis up top? Look at Bunch and notice his upright style. Kinda like the bomber"Barnet". Also, notice he has the power on and is charging hard for Webco. Bunch was so smooth, look at his foot just skimming the ground. Awesome! btw: I know it 82 because he is on the full floater. BTW: Picture: Tom Corley
I knew i should of went back a little farther in some of these posts.. You Are one of a kind.. And i love the play by play... Its to bad that all the races youve been to .. And even having a DG. Autograghed poster ... that you stood in line for hours to have me sign. and then cutting my face right out of it.. you dont even recognize, NO.5 Larry Brooks, NO.4 Rick Hemme, And last but not least.. ME!! NO.1 Honda factory rider.. oooops!! IM sorry thats a KAWASAKI... Anyway,, Youll figure it out... GOOD STUFF!!
Webcokid
11/10/2010 2:32pm
Shii, I wipped my ass with that signed poster, that's why your face was cut out! Too funny, I posted this about a year ago and had forgotten who most of these guys were, including you, since I always picture you as a Yamaha guy. But then again, The Larry Brooks blunder is pretty laim. I should have known that, but then again, I was never a huge fan of his. Is 4 Blake? and is that Sam up top on the Kawi? Can't see the number plate. Glad your keeping me on my toes. I will call you later about Glen Helen race on Nov. 22nd. I'm going for it and I need your pit/coacing expertise.
nmachamp
11/11/2010 7:18am
Webcokid wrote:
Shii, I wipped my ass with that signed poster, that's why your face was cut out! Too funny, I posted this about a year ago and...
Shii, I wipped my ass with that signed poster, that's why your face was cut out! Too funny, I posted this about a year ago and had forgotten who most of these guys were, including you, since I always picture you as a Yamaha guy. But then again, The Larry Brooks blunder is pretty laim. I should have known that, but then again, I was never a huge fan of his. Is 4 Blake? and is that Sam up top on the Kawi? Can't see the number plate. Glad your keeping me on my toes. I will call you later about Glen Helen race on Nov. 22nd. I'm going for it and I need your pit/coacing expertise.
99 is Mike Heally.... Above Mike with the white helmet is Danny Storeback.. no. 4 is Rick HEMME..... TRUST ME..... And NO. 1 is the guy diving down way inside to set up just right for the outside pass up webco... CMON, TONY.,, YOUR STARTING TO SCARE ME WITH some of this analysis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Webcokid
11/11/2010 11:31am
Webcokid wrote:
Shii, I wipped my ass with that signed poster, that's why your face was cut out! Too funny, I posted this about a year ago and...
nmachamp wrote:
99 is Mike Heally.... Above Mike with the white helmet is Danny Storeback.. no. 4 is Rick HEMME..... TRUST ME..... And NO. 1 is the guy...
99 is Mike Heally.... Above Mike with the white helmet is Danny Storeback.. no. 4 is Rick HEMME..... TRUST ME..... And NO. 1 is the guy diving down way inside to set up just right for the outside pass up webco... CMON, TONY.,, YOUR STARTING TO SCARE ME WITH some of this analysis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, Rick was number 3 for a long time and Tracey meeks was #4. I remember you as #19, Bruce was 43 and then #6, Sam was 2, Taylor was 33. Only thing here, is that this is 1982, and Tracey was on the 125, and evedently, Rick took the 4 number. I have a picture of Ricks trailer I will post later. See ya
CamP
11/11/2010 1:04pm
Storbeck's body posture is unmistakable.
nmachamp
11/11/2010 9:33pm
CamP wrote:
So is LARRY'S.. Notice the way he just has to be right in that dudes way.. And also notice his front foot. the perfect position to not get it ran over by dude.. also as you can obviously see that he;s got the 4. bike set up perfectly to bounce of him AND screw both of them up just enough to get ahead of both of them and stay in way probably most of the race..I think Rick knew how to get around LARRY, But it would take a while ... That other guy has no clue what hes in for... Im sure Larry gave him a taste of that locked up back wheel a couple of turns later!! its a process that takes alot of trial and error....TRUST ME.....I truely believe Rudy SR., realized that getting larry on his team would be the best move for his guys...And i think that it was a brilliant move .. That way when he pulled his dirty rider shit.. Rudy could sit him down and talk about Team player responsibility... Good stuff HUH!!!!!!!!
Announcer
11/11/2010 10:24pm
Well, nmachamp, you and I must be looking at different pix or the pix is cropped here on Vital MX. If LB is #4, he's on the OUTSIDE, with NO ONE directly behind him, in front of him or on his left side (by at least four or five feet). You're obviously dealing with a very big case of sour grapes regarding Larry and need to get over it and stay over it.

In addition, this thread is about Bruce, Rick & Kyle, and your whining about the only guy who lived isn't doing you or anyone else much good as regards to remembering our friends that didn't make it. Let's keep this thread about our lost friends, ok?

Hal Sanguinetti
CamP
11/11/2010 10:33pm
CamP wrote:
nmachamp wrote:
So is LARRY'S.. Notice the way he just has to be right in that dudes way.. And also notice his front foot. the perfect position to...
So is LARRY'S.. Notice the way he just has to be right in that dudes way.. And also notice his front foot. the perfect position to not get it ran over by dude.. also as you can obviously see that he;s got the 4. bike set up perfectly to bounce of him AND screw both of them up just enough to get ahead of both of them and stay in way probably most of the race..I think Rick knew how to get around LARRY, But it would take a while ... That other guy has no clue what hes in for... Im sure Larry gave him a taste of that locked up back wheel a couple of turns later!! its a process that takes alot of trial and error....TRUST ME.....I truely believe Rudy SR., realized that getting larry on his team would be the best move for his guys...And i think that it was a brilliant move .. That way when he pulled his dirty rider shit.. Rudy could sit him down and talk about Team player responsibility... Good stuff HUH!!!!!!!!
That's too funny. After seeing Brooks at the Carlsbad round of the golden state in 87, I'm sure everything you say is accurate.
CamP
11/11/2010 10:34pm
Announcer wrote:
Well, nmachamp, you and I must be looking at different pix or the pix is cropped here on Vital MX. If LB is #4, he's on...
Well, nmachamp, you and I must be looking at different pix or the pix is cropped here on Vital MX. If LB is #4, he's on the OUTSIDE, with NO ONE directly behind him, in front of him or on his left side (by at least four or five feet). You're obviously dealing with a very big case of sour grapes regarding Larry and need to get over it and stay over it.

In addition, this thread is about Bruce, Rick & Kyle, and your whining about the only guy who lived isn't doing you or anyone else much good as regards to remembering our friends that didn't make it. Let's keep this thread about our lost friends, ok?

Hal Sanguinetti
Brooks is #5. Rick Hemme is #4.
Announcer
11/12/2010 7:44am
Then I stand corrected on part of my comments, sorry 'bout that. HOWEVER, it appears to me that the possibility just might exist that Larry is the one being run into by #66 does it not? Think about it - in a left hand corner not long after the start, the force of gravity is pushing all the bikes out to the right. #66 comes in a little hotter than #5 (who has already started his turn) and #5 has to lift his foot to keep from being run over. Look at #66's front wheel.... he's sliding and trying to stay up. This scenario is far more likely than the one nmachamp has suggested.

Also "right in that dudes way?" Gimmie a break - that's what motocross is all about, charging as hard as you can. You're saying every racer is supposed to be nice and courteous and pull over when someone comes alongside? I don't think so..... you've been there, you know what it's like.... let's be honest, you just don't like Larry Brooks (which you're entitled to have as an opinion), but again..... this is not the forum for that. This is to remember the 3 boys who lost their life. Remember, I was there right in the middle of that horror too....

Hal Sanguinetti
11/12/2010 2:04pm
I come from Old School NW Family. My step brother Larry Ward Jr. and I Stacy Thornton, were there to witness the saddest trophie presentation to these three young riders, were National Champions. My heart goes out to thier families and to the Greatet Racing Team that ever was. R&D Racing Engines the most Awesome Racing Team the FIRST Real Pro's. Signed,
Stacy Thornton(think twice) #623
CamP
11/12/2010 4:35pm
Announcer wrote:
Then I stand corrected on part of my comments, sorry 'bout that. HOWEVER, it appears to me that the possibility just might exist that Larry is...
Then I stand corrected on part of my comments, sorry 'bout that. HOWEVER, it appears to me that the possibility just might exist that Larry is the one being run into by #66 does it not? Think about it - in a left hand corner not long after the start, the force of gravity is pushing all the bikes out to the right. #66 comes in a little hotter than #5 (who has already started his turn) and #5 has to lift his foot to keep from being run over. Look at #66's front wheel.... he's sliding and trying to stay up. This scenario is far more likely than the one nmachamp has suggested.

Also "right in that dudes way?" Gimmie a break - that's what motocross is all about, charging as hard as you can. You're saying every racer is supposed to be nice and courteous and pull over when someone comes alongside? I don't think so..... you've been there, you know what it's like.... let's be honest, you just don't like Larry Brooks (which you're entitled to have as an opinion), but again..... this is not the forum for that. This is to remember the 3 boys who lost their life. Remember, I was there right in the middle of that horror too....

Hal Sanguinetti
I think you are missing the humor in Denis' post about Brooks.
Announcer
11/12/2010 4:39pm
Really, Cam? I guess I just don't see it as being a humorous/tongue-in-cheek response on his part. If it is, fine. But I don't think so....

Hal Sanguinetti
The Announcer
Webcokid
11/12/2010 5:54pm Edited Date/Time 11/12/2010 7:51pm
Hal, deffinately no disrespect intended and the respect factor is high for both you and Larry. As a matter of fact, I think he is one of the best mini cycle riders of that age. However, Tom Corley gave me this photo, and was not clear on the riders. There's no disrespect here, let's face it, Paul and Larry weren't the best of friends. If you'd ridden shotgun on the way home from Barona Oaks on a Sunday, in the Bunch truck, then you would have another persepective. In my opinion, Bruce was the funniest, fastest, and most talented of them all. See, Paul will love this! Paul means no disrespect, he's always been, well, just alittle cocky! That's the way he is, his style. They all had it, Bruce was classic, Larry too, but also Mr. Brake check, and would stuff your ass in a new york minute. Rick, was simply a great kid, and I did not know him well. Paul was the chief, he was on top of his game in 82, an nearly won all classes, accept for some mechanical failures. I know that the boys would appreciate this string, and liked racing with all mentioned. As far as your point of view, it is respected greatly, yet is based on a tower view, and not one of internal Moto lore.
Announcer
11/12/2010 7:11pm
No disrespect intended I'm sure, and none taken. When Paul chimed in aways back about his feelings over the entire tragedy, my opinion of him improved greatly - it was very obvious he was sincere in his feelings. But stirring the pot by bagging on Larry - especially when this thread is not about Larry OR Paul - well, that just kinda pissed me off. No biggie.

Hal Sanguinetti
The Announcer
wownd out
11/14/2010 5:49pm
mxracer106 wrote:
Wow.....thank you Paul for opening up and sharing with us your side of this story, and I commend you for being completely transparent about the rollercoaster...
Very well said "mxracer106' Your comments on this topic are what alot people feel and carry with them. I know I do. I was lucky enough...
Very well said "mxracer106' Your comments on this topic are what alot people feel and carry with them. I know I do. I was lucky enough to be able to meet both Rick and Bruce prior to Ponca City that year. I was working as a motorcycle mechanic at a Suzuki dealership in La Habra at the time. The shop was about 8 miles from R&D racing in Norwalk. Its actually a couple of houses next door to each other (R&D racing). The parts manager at the Suzuki shop was good friends with Rudy & Dean. Mike Bell was the parts guy at our shop. Anyway , there were plenty of times Rudy would need parts and me and Mike would bring what he needed after work. So I got to know the Dickensons pretty well and was fortune enough to have them modify and set-up my 82 RM-125 z model. I can tell you that nobody does better work than R&D racing on Suzukis at least in my opinion. I got to meet those racers and 25 years later I met and talked with Paul Denis. I remember Rudy protesting the KX-80s thinking they may not had been legal. But the truth is that Paul was that good. Rudy had alot of respect for Paul Denis and his abilty. And anyone who had the privelage of meeting or seeing Rick, Bruce, Kyle, or Pual race knows that all 4 were championship caliber racers as well as individuals and true champions. They left me with some good memories that are still with me! They are gone but not forgotten. All are special, very special.
Hey Johhny what's up i sent you a PM, i didn't remember you working at Cycle Works/LaHabra Suzuki.
LB
11/15/2010 1:39am
CamP wrote:
nmachamp wrote:
So is LARRY'S.. Notice the way he just has to be right in that dudes way.. And also notice his front foot. the perfect position to...
Paul, your such a little cry baby. Your reliving the past like I personally did something to you. I raced you and you raced me. Yes, I did everything I could to beat you and if it had to get physical, well then I did what I had to do. But as I remember, you did the same back to me. That's what Motocross is all about, doing your best to beat to other racers.

If your acting this way this many years later, it's no wonder why you disappeared from the racing. I don't want to get deep right now, but after reading your little rant I had to say something. I only have great memories of racing mini bikes, those were some of the best years of my life. But I see that you must not feel the same way. If you'd get so into writing a post like this and trying your best to cut me down, well I feel kind of bad for you. Did you not take anything away from racing except negative memories? There were so many good memories, I really hope you have some stored in that big head of yours.

Let it go bud. We were kids and we were racers. We raced one another and didn't get along very well, but that shouldn't scare you the way you sound. Maybe you should get some help with these bad memories. Everyone I've spoke to that raced back in those days have nothing but fond memories and then I read this. Open your eye's and clear out those bad thoughts, life is good and you shouldn't hold a grudge towards anyone that you raced against. That was 29 years ago, get over it.
nmachamp
11/15/2010 9:11am
NW#599 wrote:
Some talk about these three and their tragic accident in Ponca City in 1982 have been in a couple other threads on here, but I wanted...
Some talk about these three and their tragic accident in Ponca City in 1982 have been in a couple other threads on here, but I wanted to start a seperate topic just in their honor.

It was a terrible and very preventable accident that claimed the lives of these three individuals and put driver Duke Dana in a long coma and years of rehab.

They were R&D Suzuki riders along with Larry Brooks that year.

I would like to dedicate this post to any memories that community members from Vitalmx may have of these three riders. I know that I was just getting my motocross "career" started in 1979 and these were my first "hero's" of the sport since I was following the 80cc stage as a fellow rider/racer.

Please share any experiences, photo's, stories you have heard, or information you know of from any or all of these three riders.

I have an article of Rick Hemme from a newspaper in 1982 that I will share as soon as I can get it put on here.

Things I am looking for:

Pictures of all three racing/riding their bikes (preferrably 1982).

The 1982 Ponca City results from all the 80cc and 105cc Mini classes (top ten).

The Minicyle Magazine article on Ponca City 1982 and this tragedy. I remember reading it, had the magazine back then, kept it for years, but now can not find it. anybody?

Here is a link to see Bruce Bunch 1981 R7D Suzuki 105cc bike:

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:d2hnJE5NhqsJ:www.vintagefactory.co…
Why dont you just EMAIL. Me personally.. I dont believe this is the proper place to be talking smack... I was just playing around with the photo on the other page.. I apologize to the people who consider this thread very sacred .... And that includes me! And I still believe this guy is a HACK!!!
Announcer
11/15/2010 12:30pm
Paul, as has already been proven, different people regard different statements in different ways. Larry and I both interpreted your 'playing around' as smack - hence the responses that YOU regarded as smack - and the battle is on (in other words, you started it LOL). Point being is that its best to keep one's mouth shut (fingers still ??) if one doesn't want someone to fire back, don't you think?

Hal Sanguinetti
mr50racer
11/15/2010 2:16pm Edited Date/Time 11/15/2010 2:35pm
Announcer wrote:
Paul, as has already been proven, different people regard different statements in different ways. Larry and I both interpreted your 'playing around' as smack - hence...
Paul, as has already been proven, different people regard different statements in different ways. Larry and I both interpreted your 'playing around' as smack - hence the responses that YOU regarded as smack - and the battle is on (in other words, you started it LOL). Point being is that its best to keep one's mouth shut (fingers still ??) if one doesn't want someone to fire back, don't you think?

Hal Sanguinetti
Chuck O could beat them both anyway.....On and off the track...
wownd out
11/15/2010 7:41pm
Announcer wrote:
Paul, as has already been proven, different people regard different statements in different ways. Larry and I both interpreted your 'playing around' as smack - hence...

Hal Sanguinetti
mr50racer wrote:
Chuck O could beat them both anyway.....On and off the track...
Oh well you too now Scotty, lets give you some credit were credit is due, too bad we both quit before our prime huh!?
11/16/2010 2:12am
OK... I heard enough! I dont even know where to begin.

I can say great things about Bruce, which it has already been said. No one knows him better than his closest friends, like Chris. I believe with time and health on his side, Bruce would have been just as great as Jeff Ward.

Paul and Larry were great competitors; however, we all look up to people. No one was better than Kehoe and Holland... not even Troy. This petty stuff is awful, and it doesnt belong here. Everyone bumped everyone, no one is perfect, not even the ones that we hold in high regard on the track.

Where I do hold you all in high regard is in your character "off the track," to always have each other's back, and to help your "brothers." We shared too much to see who can piss the farthest.

I had many different trophies through many different sports. What did they mean? ...I threw them all away a few years ago. The memories and the people were my rewards.

There is someone that is always better or will be better than the last person. It's a circle of life. To argue over it is to merely show your egocentric idea of wisdom over everyone else or to pay tribute to their contribution in making us all better, which one are you expressing?

"True knowledge exist in knowing that you know nothing. And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all." ~ Socrates

Peace

Jason Rincon (#12)...

...Ironically, it was the same number as Gaylon Mosier. The guy I idolized...until...
nmachamp
11/16/2010 8:25am
Announcer wrote:
Well, nmachamp, you and I must be looking at different pix or the pix is cropped here on Vital MX. If LB is #4, he's on...

Hal Sanguinetti
HAL, You are absolutely correct....And i did not realize at first the thread i was on when i made the comment.. And i also didnt read this comment of yours before i made the second comment... And again , for that i am sorry.... So let me just clear up two things.. Larry is not #4 He is #5 on the Yamaha. And that is why i made that comment....So keep your sour grapes, and your whining, back over on your end......Thank you!!

Post a reply to: Bruce Bunch, Rick Hemme, Kyle Fleming

The Latest