Bruce Bunch, Rick Hemme, Kyle Fleming

12/1/2009 8:46pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:14pm
I've got a kitchen in the garage. I have what you call a walk out basement style shop. The top floor is a museum area for some bikes & memorabilia I've collected over the years and the bottom floor is for working on everything. I just finished the construction lately and I'm still unpacking stuff to fill the top floor. Here's one of my favorites

Here's a shot of when Brian Myerscoph and myself went to the 2004 World Mini GP to show some of my old school racers in a display setting. That's Brian's 1972 XL70 that he rode to win the 1973 WMGP with. His NMA championship Jacket is hanging from the handlebars of the 73 xr75 and his original jersey from the day.
The dad's were diggin it. The kids were trippin out.

12/1/2009 9:03pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:14pm
NW#599 wrote:
Some talk about these three and their tragic accident in Ponca City in 1982 have been in a couple other threads on here, but I wanted...
Some talk about these three and their tragic accident in Ponca City in 1982 have been in a couple other threads on here, but I wanted to start a seperate topic just in their honor.

It was a terrible and very preventable accident that claimed the lives of these three individuals and put driver Duke Dana in a long coma and years of rehab.

They were R&D Suzuki riders along with Larry Brooks that year.

I would like to dedicate this post to any memories that community members from Vitalmx may have of these three riders. I know that I was just getting my motocross "career" started in 1979 and these were my first "hero's" of the sport since I was following the 80cc stage as a fellow rider/racer.

Please share any experiences, photo's, stories you have heard, or information you know of from any or all of these three riders.

I have an article of Rick Hemme from a newspaper in 1982 that I will share as soon as I can get it put on here.

Things I am looking for:

Pictures of all three racing/riding their bikes (preferrably 1982).

The 1982 Ponca City results from all the 80cc and 105cc Mini classes (top ten).

The Minicyle Magazine article on Ponca City 1982 and this tragedy. I remember reading it, had the magazine back then, kept it for years, but now can not find it. anybody?

Here is a link to see Bruce Bunch 1981 R7D Suzuki 105cc bike:

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:d2hnJE5NhqsJ:www.vintagefactory.co…
I can't find pics of it when I bought it, but I know I have them, I'll keep looking
I had Bill Klemm restore it for me witch consisted of tear down and paint. The lower fork legs were replaced with a new set that Dean gave us when I bought the bike. The plastic is all new except front fender...it was painted. The tank was repainted & I put a new seat cover on it. Basically the dirt took it's toll on it over the years.

I rode it once up and down the street after the restore and let me tell you...it ripped
and it sounded awesome.
chipnice
12/1/2009 10:15pm
Hey Pilot, I hope you know how special that bike is to some of us that grew up with Bruce, Hold on to that masterpeice, Thank You. Chip
12/1/2009 11:18pm
I know how special it is, thats why I bought it.

It's a special piece of history for all of us that were fortunate enough to of witnessed what would of most likely of been the best rider of all time.

He was Bailey smooth and O'mara stylish. I just wish that I could of known him personally.

Dean, himself told me that he was the most talented rider he ever knew.

I always wanted a picture of him to blow up to place behind the bike for a more personal connection. If anyone has a picture of him as a person, I'd love to have a copy of it.

The Shop

flyfishnw
12/2/2009 7:05am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:14pm
R&D had the sweetest bikes and setups on the track in those days. Watching Bunch and the others rip on the track in thier custom painted helmets.. ballet in MX..
Dropbear
12/2/2009 11:45am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:14pm
I remember being over for the 79 ROC at the WMGP, and one of the things I recall was the way those R&D Suzukis used to sound with guys like Hemme and Holland riding them. I'd never heard anything like it before.

BTW, how cool is it to have Brian Myerscoughs SL70 still. He might not know it but he was a legend among us Aussie mini-moto kids.

12/2/2009 2:03pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:15pm
Webcokid....I can't wait to see those new pictures! We would be honored to see them!

Works Pilot...I hope you can find the "pre-restoration" photos of Bruce's 105. You are one lucky S.O.B. to have that piece of mx history sitting in your garage everyday to look at!! I am seriously jealous!!

I just thought of a great Christmas gift that you could deliver to many of us "old school" mxers on here.....fire up that RM105 and take a video of it ripping it up at 12,000 rpm and post it on here. I would love to hear that how that infamous R&D motor sounds! Long live the two-poppers!
Webcokid
12/2/2009 2:34pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:15pm
mxracer106 wrote:
Webcokid....I can't wait to see those new pictures! We would be honored to see them! Works Pilot...I hope you can find the "pre-restoration" photos of Bruce's...
Webcokid....I can't wait to see those new pictures! We would be honored to see them!

Works Pilot...I hope you can find the "pre-restoration" photos of Bruce's 105. You are one lucky S.O.B. to have that piece of mx history sitting in your garage everyday to look at!! I am seriously jealous!!

I just thought of a great Christmas gift that you could deliver to many of us "old school" mxers on here.....fire up that RM105 and take a video of it ripping it up at 12,000 rpm and post it on here. I would love to hear that how that infamous R&D motor sounds! Long live the two-poppers!
You got it pal! I made some more calls today to old Harry's Cycle riders and am waiting for the pics. Keep your fingers crossed! Also, if Old school does fire up that bike, remember to ice down the fuel like Ralph & Dean use to do. That was a little R&D racing secret. They would fill the float bowl with special fuel before the start and always kept the fuel on ice.
ocscottie
12/2/2009 4:24pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:15pm
WorksPilot: here is an article from Minicycle Action about the R&D RM80.

*remember to right click "view image" to see full size
12/2/2009 5:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:15pm
When I bought Bruce's bike, Rudy Jr's bike was also there and I asked to purchase it also but Rudy Senior didn't want to let it go.
That bike had the special made blue frame and works style aluminum tank that was much smaller and very trick looking. I later found out that Rudy's bike was sold later on.
I'm not sure if it was before or after Rudy Senior's passing.

Both Rudy Senior and Dean were very cool people and a pleasure to meet. Rudy showed us the letter from Suzuki showing their contract to run Suzuki's mini program and he also had the very first check that Suzuki paid him.

Rudy saw the restored bike at the WMGP in 04 and brought the R&D sponsored rider at the time over to check it out. That rider is Eli Tomac.

12/2/2009 6:27pm
I have been away from So Cal for many years now and didn't know about Rudy Sr passing, And the last I heard of Rudy Jr he quit racing to study to become a doctor byt that was many ,many years ago.
wownd out
12/3/2009 6:19pm
Wow! Big Rudy was like my other dad and inspired me to always do my best he would say iv'e done all i can Charlie, now you just have to turn the throttle, and he would be at the races giving me that throttle sign even if i was leading, i'm holdin back the tears right now Rudy Dickinson was a great man! god bless and R.I.P. Charlie Osterday.
12/7/2009 11:29am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:19pm
I know how special it is, thats why I bought it. It's a special piece of history for all of us that were fortunate enough to...
I know how special it is, thats why I bought it.

It's a special piece of history for all of us that were fortunate enough to of witnessed what would of most likely of been the best rider of all time.

He was Bailey smooth and O'mara stylish. I just wish that I could of known him personally.

Dean, himself told me that he was the most talented rider he ever knew.

I always wanted a picture of him to blow up to place behind the bike for a more personal connection. If anyone has a picture of him as a person, I'd love to have a copy of it.
There is a picture of Bruce at 11:26 in the video. Maybe you could contact Motocross Action Magizine to see if they can send you a copy of the photo.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8853042213502905994&hl=en#
Webcokid
12/7/2009 3:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:20pm
Dropbear wrote:
I remember being over for the 79 ROC at the WMGP, and one of the things I recall was the way those R&D Suzukis used to...
I remember being over for the 79 ROC at the WMGP, and one of the things I recall was the way those R&D Suzukis used to sound with guys like Hemme and Holland riding them. I'd never heard anything like it before.

BTW, how cool is it to have Brian Myerscoughs SL70 still. He might not know it but he was a legend among us Aussie mini-moto kids.

Nothing like the sound of the R&D 80. On my way home from riding yesterday, we were talking about Bruce and how he used to ride on top of the pipe. I asked why he used to blow up so many bikes? Answer, a guy like Holand rode at the bottom of the pipe, but Bunch was alway at the top. That thing was wining and screaming that high pitch sound that only a few select racers can remember. One day in 82, right before Bruce was to move to the 125, he and Paul Dennis were practicing out at saddle back. I believe Paul won the national championship the following year and was real fast. Bruce use to toy with Dennis, let him pass, bump tires, let him flownder around a bit more and then pass him with great ease. It was like a cat and mouse game. As they came around webco, Jack Dennis asked this question. "How many practice bikes did Bruce bring today" then Taylor say's two, then Jack say's "That's it'.

Obviously, I think about Bruce quite a bit, but it's these stories that resurface that make me realize how special this point in time was. That was Bruce's last 80CC ride in Ponca that year, and god only knows what would have happend in 1983 on the 125.
wownd out
12/9/2009 6:26pm Edited Date/Time 12/9/2009 6:28pm
Uhh, George did not ride on the bottom of the pipe! and it is pretty hard to race in the 80 expert class
unless your on the pipe!
chipnice
12/9/2009 11:01pm
Hey wound out you are a nine ball , the same dick as when you where racing. Stay your stupid ass in the 909 and go away puss, go ahaid and e mail me and we can meet, Squid
Looped Out
12/9/2009 11:57pm
wownd out wrote:
Uhh, George did not ride on the bottom of the pipe! and it is pretty hard to race in the 80 expert class unless your on...
Uhh, George did not ride on the bottom of the pipe! and it is pretty hard to race in the 80 expert class
unless your on the pipe!
Charlie Osterday, is this you (wownd out)? Dude, you never got your bikes even in the power band.
Was that you that said "I bet Larry Brooks straight up before", on Supercross.com? If it was you, can you tell me when you bet Brooks? I don't ever remember you even being close to Larry brooks' speed.
Webcokid
12/10/2009 8:55am
wownd out wrote:
Uhh, George did not ride on the bottom of the pipe! and it is pretty hard to race in the 80 expert class unless your on...
unless your on the pipe!
Wound out, I can personally tell you I smoked your ass many times on a shoe string budget. I'd meet you today at any location and smoke your ass again. Just make the call!
wownd out
12/10/2009 9:32am
What the hell is your problem, and what does George Holland have to do with you having beaten me in the novice class??? who are you?
Webcokid
12/10/2009 10:00am
wownd out wrote:
What the hell is your problem, and what does George Holland have to do with you having beaten me in the novice class??? who are you?
First of all, you bagged on Ronny Lechein on the saddleback string and your tone is note cool. I have nothing against you, and even though you were a decent rider. Ya, I am a no name, but knew Bruce very well and take offense to your contradiction. Keep it real Wound out!
wownd out
12/10/2009 10:57am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:23pm
I was friends with Bruce also, hell i'm the one that let him try my R&D RM80 and got him back racing again, but my personal experiences with Ron Lechien are what i said, sorry if you have another view of him i just tell it how it is and that's keepin it real, but i have noticed that you seem to get offended very easily, and it can happen alot on a message board please don't take anything personal.
Announcer
12/14/2009 4:13pm
NW#599 wrote:
Previously posted by [b]TeamSwolen[/b] "I remember.....Cool kid. He would have been in his late 30's by now. All those kids were good kids. They came from...
Previously posted by TeamSwolen

"I remember.....Cool kid. He would have been in his late 30's by now. All those kids were good kids. They came from good families too.

It was a station wagon that they were in. A friend of theirs was driving (industry sponsor). No one was wearing seatbelts (was not required by law back then) They were headed directly into the sun . The train was hidden by the lumber yard next to the road. There were only warning lights and you could not see the lights when the sun was going down behind them. When the train passed behind the lumber yard it broke the sunlight crossing over the intersection. There were skid marks and they swerved. The train caught the front of the wagon and dragged it. A deep ditch was next to the tracks and the vehicle was rolled over and the kids were all ejected.

Was very tragic and I can still feel it today. The only one who lived was the driver after a 2 month coma and more than a year in the hospital and years of physical therapy.

I remember......."
lostboy819 wrote:
I lived about a mile from the track in ponca and rode and raced there starting in 1976 untill I moved in the mid 80s and...
I lived about a mile from the track in ponca and rode and raced there starting in 1976 untill I moved in the mid 80s and my older brother was a ponca city police patrolman at the time .

The police report had a few other facts .It was afternoon so the sun was not setting yet so sun in the eyes should not have been a problem, there were two cars stopped at the crossing for the train when the station wagon went around the stopped cars and hit the front side of the train and was dragged.

Back then prospect was a bumpy rough two lane road that had a hump over the tracks, it had lights and bells but no crossing gates. I remember several car train wrecks at that crossing because you could see the train a long ways away but what you didnt know was the trains were doing 50-60mph and you though you could beat it.

Now its a four lane with gates and train speeds are limited to 40mph untill they clear hubbard road that is a mile north. I was down in Ponca a few months ago and the gates went down at the crossing and I watched a car drive around the gates and it brought back the bad memory of the accident. I still have the newspaper and police reports tucked away some place and I still get the sick feeling when I read them.
This is a correct description of what happened. The driver couldn't wait and pulled around the line of cars in front of him waiting at the tracks, and the wagon was hit as he reached the tracks. Totally inexcusable driving...
Announcer
12/14/2009 4:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:27pm
I'm very grateful to find out that people remember these three great kids. Here in AZ, the only people who even know who Kyle Fleming was are people who were involved back in the day..... it's so typical of Americans to forget yesterday's heros in the blink of an eye.

The entire ordeal that year at Ponca was mind-blowing, to say the least..... someone mentioned aways back about everyone dropping by the Bunch's room, I was in there for awhile too... it was heartbreaking as people would stop by and awkwardly try to convey their sorrow to the parents... I mean, what do you say at a moment like that? A racing accident is hard enough, but a stupid, needless deal like what happened... as a member of the NMA team, I knew what had happened long before most people, and like I said, I was sitting slumped against the outside of the hall crying.... people coming in had no frikkin' idea what had happened (the decision had been made not to tell the people inside - for many of them, it was the happiest moment of their lives to be winning a trophy at Ponca City, and the NMA people didn't want to crush that joy, at least for another hour or so.)

Nobody came over to me except little Dale Storebeck (Danny's little brother, we called him Killer). He knew what had happened, and he sat there with me for about 15 minutes, each lost in our own thoughts and grief.....

Regarding the Memorial Race... that was a GREAT event for several years. It was called the Kyle Flemming race because Rick and Bruce's parents were still too traumatized and didn't want anything to do with it.... but we celebrated all three boys equally. I still have some of the event posters and even some of the teeshirts, I think. The first race was at Canyon, the second at the short-lived Firebird Raceway track, then it moved to Blythe for several years - the Blythe races were the best, although they were all good. People came from all over the Southwest to attend and race. After about 3 years at Blythe, it moved to Mayer AZ where it mercifully ended after one race (I won't get into that). Several years ago, we talked about resurecting the event, but decided not to do it because the names of the three boys mean nothing to today's riders.... which is a DAMN SHAME, as far as I'm concerned. They were all awesome riders and good kids, trust me, I know.... I announced 13 World Minis and 11 Ponca City races and all three were right at the front of the pack every moto.

It's also good to see so many names from the past on here - to all of those that I knew, a big HI to all of you. I'm into Nostalgia drag racing these days and have my own front engine dragster that is just about finished - and one of the things I've made up is a display card for the side of the trailer when I'm in the pits with the names of all those who are near and dear to me who are no longer with us...... and Rick, Bruce & Kyle are right there near the top.

Thanks for letting me ramble through my memories for a little while... and thanks to Jason Brown for letting me know of this thread.

Hal Sanguinetti

The Announcer

Hal Sanguinetti

TNT Distributing/Torco Racing Oils

http://tiggersdigger.spaces.live.com/ UPDATED October 4, 2009!

Standard 1320 - Nitrogeezers - NHRA Track Announcers Guild

Cactus Car Modelers - IPMS Phoenix
Webcokid
12/30/2009 9:25pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2009 9:31pm
Ya know, there is something to be said about modesty and my pal Bruce had plenty of it. I don't think I ever saw Bruce brag or embelish on any subject. I drove through Orange today and went by Harrys Cycle. I just had I show the wife where it all went down. We got off the freeway and I mentioned the BMX track off Chapman and the 55 freeway. Then a Bunch story surfaced. We decided to try a BMX race on a sat. with Taylor and me. We ran a few Motos and after the last race, Bruce was waiting at the finish. His only comment, that Sucked!
toby lawes
12/30/2009 9:58pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2009 10:09pm
ME AND BRUCE BUNCH BECAME FRIENDS ON THE MOVIE SET THE DEVEL & MAXDEVELAND THAT WAS FILMED AT INDIAN DUNES. WE MET WHILE GOING TO SCHOOL ON SET . WE STARTED RIDING TOGATHER SOON AFTER THAT HE WAS VERY HUMBLE AND LAYED BACK.HE WOULD RATHER WATCH EVERY ONE ELSE RIDE THEN RIDE HIM SELF.HE WAS MY HERO AND I WANTED TO RIDE LIKE HIM SO BAD ! BUT HE WAS IN A CLASS ALL BY HIM SELF!!!! HE DIDENT HAVE A BIG HEAD AND NEVER TALKED ANY CRAP . HE DID HIS TALKING ON THE TRACK!!!! MISS U BRUCE
mr50racer
12/31/2009 1:58pm
Announcer wrote:
I'm very grateful to find out that people remember these three great kids. Here in AZ, the only people who even know who Kyle Fleming was...
I'm very grateful to find out that people remember these three great kids. Here in AZ, the only people who even know who Kyle Fleming was are people who were involved back in the day..... it's so typical of Americans to forget yesterday's heros in the blink of an eye.

The entire ordeal that year at Ponca was mind-blowing, to say the least..... someone mentioned aways back about everyone dropping by the Bunch's room, I was in there for awhile too... it was heartbreaking as people would stop by and awkwardly try to convey their sorrow to the parents... I mean, what do you say at a moment like that? A racing accident is hard enough, but a stupid, needless deal like what happened... as a member of the NMA team, I knew what had happened long before most people, and like I said, I was sitting slumped against the outside of the hall crying.... people coming in had no frikkin' idea what had happened (the decision had been made not to tell the people inside - for many of them, it was the happiest moment of their lives to be winning a trophy at Ponca City, and the NMA people didn't want to crush that joy, at least for another hour or so.)

Nobody came over to me except little Dale Storebeck (Danny's little brother, we called him Killer). He knew what had happened, and he sat there with me for about 15 minutes, each lost in our own thoughts and grief.....

Regarding the Memorial Race... that was a GREAT event for several years. It was called the Kyle Flemming race because Rick and Bruce's parents were still too traumatized and didn't want anything to do with it.... but we celebrated all three boys equally. I still have some of the event posters and even some of the teeshirts, I think. The first race was at Canyon, the second at the short-lived Firebird Raceway track, then it moved to Blythe for several years - the Blythe races were the best, although they were all good. People came from all over the Southwest to attend and race. After about 3 years at Blythe, it moved to Mayer AZ where it mercifully ended after one race (I won't get into that). Several years ago, we talked about resurecting the event, but decided not to do it because the names of the three boys mean nothing to today's riders.... which is a DAMN SHAME, as far as I'm concerned. They were all awesome riders and good kids, trust me, I know.... I announced 13 World Minis and 11 Ponca City races and all three were right at the front of the pack every moto.

It's also good to see so many names from the past on here - to all of those that I knew, a big HI to all of you. I'm into Nostalgia drag racing these days and have my own front engine dragster that is just about finished - and one of the things I've made up is a display card for the side of the trailer when I'm in the pits with the names of all those who are near and dear to me who are no longer with us...... and Rick, Bruce & Kyle are right there near the top.

Thanks for letting me ramble through my memories for a little while... and thanks to Jason Brown for letting me know of this thread.

Hal Sanguinetti

The Announcer

Hal Sanguinetti

TNT Distributing/Torco Racing Oils

http://tiggersdigger.spaces.live.com/ UPDATED October 4, 2009!

Standard 1320 - Nitrogeezers - NHRA Track Announcers Guild

Cactus Car Modelers - IPMS Phoenix
Nice to hear from you Hal.... I think I was up in the tower as much as you were since I couldn't race... I think I spotted for you most of the weekend....That was a tough deal for all the guys that competed with these kids. I raced with all of them.

take care
Scott Brown
Original 44
1/11/2010 10:44am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:57pm
I have a article I will try and post. I hope this works.Photobucket" class="img-fluid" />
Original 44
1/11/2010 12:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:57pm
Photobucket" class="img-fluid" />
Webcokid
1/14/2010 8:07pm
[img]http://[/img]
I've looked at this about ten times now. I did not know Kyle or Rick, but can now grasp the entire loss. I tried to acquire some pictures of the boys but was not successful. I guess it's just too painful. However, this set of pictures are special am thankful that you posted them.
1/14/2010 9:08pm
[img]http://[/img]
Webcokid wrote:
I've looked at this about ten times now. I did not know Kyle or Rick, but can now grasp the entire loss. I tried to acquire...
I've looked at this about ten times now. I did not know Kyle or Rick, but can now grasp the entire loss. I tried to acquire some pictures of the boys but was not successful. I guess it's just too painful. However, this set of pictures are special am thankful that you posted them.
You are correct Webco. I remember Wayne Boyer telling us at Suzuki school what a devastating loss it was throughout the entire Suzuki organization. They had so much promise and to lose that in one day was tragic.
Thanks to 44 for the picture/article I remember it like it was yesterday.
Bruce's style mirrored Barnett I always thought.
Hey NMA Champ Paul Denis what was it like racing against Bruce back then, I watched you and Brooks duke it out a bit, but did not see you race Bruce as much.

Post a reply to: Bruce Bunch, Rick Hemme, Kyle Fleming

The Latest