Bruce Bunch, Rick Hemme, Kyle Fleming

wownd out
10/27/2009 10:40am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:57am
Me and Chris Taylor on the gate Ponca City 79.
Chris is on the Yamaha in the Harry's cycle sales jersey,
and i'm on the R&D Suzuki with chest protector on.

gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
10/27/2009 1:46pm
These are some very cool pics guys. Keep'em coming. Smile
10/28/2009 11:19am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:58am
wownd out wrote:
Me and Chris Taylor on the gate Ponca City 79. Chris is on the Yamaha in the Harry's cycle sales jersey, and i'm on the R&D...
Me and Chris Taylor on the gate Ponca City 79.
Chris is on the Yamaha in the Harry's cycle sales jersey,
and i'm on the R&D Suzuki with chest protector on.

Cool Picture, I remember that start gate for 1983 Ponca races, it looks the same. Wownd were you there at R&D the same time as Lechien or Troy Blake on 80's, did you race 125's after your mini days?
wownd out
10/28/2009 11:53am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:58am
I only knew Lechien when he rode Yamaha's my dad still owes his dad, Dick 500 bucks when he beat me we went at it at Indian Dunes. Yeah i hung out with Troy and lil Rudy Goerge Holland, Pat Galen, Mark Meredith etc, i rode R&D bikes from late 78 till late 1980, went on to 125's played in 125 intermediate for a couple months then bumped to pro, found out how out of shape i was! how about you?

The Shop

10/28/2009 2:19pm
My racing background:
Started racing at OCIR 1981 KX80
Raced 125 Int 1983 and Pro 1984-86 mostly NMA, CMC and other clubs in California
I remember racing NMA pro 125 and being up against some riders who are some of the greats, Bobby Moore, Larry Brooks, Jeff Matasivich, Mike Healey, Mike Fisher, Mike Kiedrowski, Willie Surratt, Todd Campbell, Sam Storer, Paul Denis, Bader Manneh, Kurt Henrickson, Billy Frank, it’s no wonder I had a hard time finishing in the top ten.
Lived near Jeff Ward and started to hang out with him a bit 1985/86. He really opened my eyes to what level of conditioning/dedication/talent it took to be great.
KW
10/28/2009 5:22pm
Wownd Out and Suzuki School Grad, what are your names??
wownd out
10/28/2009 5:27pm
If we tell you our names it wouldn't be fun anymore, lets just say im no houshold name.
Webcokid
10/30/2009 2:22pm
parkersdad wrote:
Bruce Bunch didn't have any brothers.

God speed to all.
Your right Parkers dad! Except, for his Harry's Cycle Bro's such as yourself.
Look for a new Harry's topic, I talked to Chip V yesterday and we need to get everyone together for some old time fun and stories.
wownd out
10/30/2009 2:31pm
I sent Chris Taylor some picks of him and me at Ponca city haven't heard back from him or seen him on here in the past few days.
Webcokid
10/30/2009 2:37pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2009 2:39pm
wownd out wrote:
I sent Chris Taylor some picks of him and me at Ponca city haven't heard back from him or seen him on here in the past...
I sent Chris Taylor some picks of him and me at Ponca city haven't heard back from him or seen him on here in the past few days.
I figured it out "CO" I used to race with you at Corona Raceway and Saddleback. You had a station wagon right? You probably don't remnember me, but most likely would recognize me. I used to race with Taylor and always ran Corona/Saddleback and Barona Oaks. I would have been on Harry's team, but my dad passed away, and that was the end of my moto days. I could'nt keep up with Chris any longer and the cost of racing at this stage began to be way to expensive for me. Chris was super talented and had the zeil to win.
wownd out
10/30/2009 4:47pm
You got it! that's me. but no station wagon. F150 with Pro Trac 16 foot trailer black orange and red stripes i'll PM you.
mr50racer
11/2/2009 3:28pm
wownd out wrote:
You got it! that's me. but no station wagon. F150 with Pro Trac 16 foot trailer black orange and red stripes i'll PM you.
Old charles osterday......Howz it going?
Webcokid
11/2/2009 4:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 6:44pm

It's 1982 and Bunch has taken the wholeshot at Saddleback. I see #4 Larry Brooks, and I think Troy Blake #5. Can anyone name the rest? #1 on the Honda? Kawasakis up top? Look at Bunch and notice his upright style. Kinda like the bomber"Barnet". Also, notice he has the power on and is charging hard for Webco. Bunch was so smooth, look at his foot just skimming the ground. Awesome! btw: I know it 82 because he is on the full floater. BTW: Picture: Tom Corley
KW
11/2/2009 5:33pm
66 is Robert Mason, 99 is Mike Healy
krazee1
11/2/2009 5:38pm
#4 is Rick Hemme, #335 is Billy Frank, #1 is Paul Denis, Willy Surratt is right in front of Billy Frank, #5 is Larry Brooks, and it looks like Danny Storbeck is right behind Billy Frank.
Tom Corley
11/3/2009 12:25am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 6:45pm

There is also a rider crashing to the left of #99 Mike Healey. I wonder who that might have been? Sure glad that I took that shot. There is another Bruce Bunch holeshot from the back track that I'm getting ready to print up.
Sondy132001
11/4/2009 2:38pm
ASHLEY T wrote:
My brother was the first ever Team Green rider ever, I remember watching him in second place at Ponca chasing Rick Hemme, One lap later he...
My brother was the first ever Team Green rider ever, I remember watching him in second place at Ponca chasing Rick Hemme, One lap later he crashed in a turn and had his finger and thumb cut off.
lostboy819 wrote:
I thought Billy Liles and Curt McCustion were the first team green riders but there may have been more than just those two.
I'm looking for Curt McCustion haven't seen him in years, I was told he's in bad shape now but would love to get caught up with him !!

S
CMC
11/28/2009 9:30pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:11pm

I remember the day I found out about the passing of Bruce Bunch. Some of you might know the name Brandon Schneider, he too was a R&D rider and was a friend of mine. He told me the sad news and I couldn't believe it.

I was fortunate enough to be racing myself around this time on a 81 YZ 80 and then on a 82 CR 80, and what a awesome thing it was to watch Bruce fly around the track.

Bruce is what most of us tried to emulate. I remember being with my dad out at Indian Dunes watching the experts race and being in awe of how Bruce could go so fast and make it look so easy. My dad and I walked over to a part of the track to watch and learn from what I was seeing. I remember going out after the race to try and do what I had just watched. It definitely helped as I soon picked up on what I saw and improved quickly.

Some time back a friend of mine was talking to Dean Dickerson about purchasing a 125 that George Holland rode back in 1980 that was still sitting around the shop after all these years, he told my friend about Bruce's bike being their also and he would sell it too. Well, my friend told me about it and I jumped at the chance to buy it. The bike still had the dirt on it from Ponca City. I asked why Bruce's dad didn't keep it and was told that his dad was to tore up over the loss and didn't want to be reminded. I certainly could understand and was glad to have the opportunity to own & restore this " GEM" asap.

Dean told us that this bike was the 105cc bike that Bruce raced that day. He told us that Bruce liked the twin shock better than the new single shocker for this class. Supposedly, Suzuki made him race the 82 model in the stock class but let him ride this bike in the 105 class. Maybe someone can confirm this

This bike ran a larger carb...28mm I think, hand formed pipe. R&D airbox, custom aluminum swingarm, Trick....Triple clamps, curnutt shocks, Yamaha wheels & hubs due to being lighter & stronger,and of course Deans magic motor mods.

This is truly a mini works bike and a treasure that I'll keep for a long time to come. I hope you guys enjoy looking at it as much as I do. It never gets old looking at it.

gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
11/29/2009 2:04pm
I remember the day I found out about the passing of Bruce Bunch. Some of you might know the name Brandon Schneider, he too was a...

I remember the day I found out about the passing of Bruce Bunch. Some of you might know the name Brandon Schneider, he too was a R&D rider and was a friend of mine. He told me the sad news and I couldn't believe it.

I was fortunate enough to be racing myself around this time on a 81 YZ 80 and then on a 82 CR 80, and what a awesome thing it was to watch Bruce fly around the track.

Bruce is what most of us tried to emulate. I remember being with my dad out at Indian Dunes watching the experts race and being in awe of how Bruce could go so fast and make it look so easy. My dad and I walked over to a part of the track to watch and learn from what I was seeing. I remember going out after the race to try and do what I had just watched. It definitely helped as I soon picked up on what I saw and improved quickly.

Some time back a friend of mine was talking to Dean Dickerson about purchasing a 125 that George Holland rode back in 1980 that was still sitting around the shop after all these years, he told my friend about Bruce's bike being their also and he would sell it too. Well, my friend told me about it and I jumped at the chance to buy it. The bike still had the dirt on it from Ponca City. I asked why Bruce's dad didn't keep it and was told that his dad was to tore up over the loss and didn't want to be reminded. I certainly could understand and was glad to have the opportunity to own & restore this " GEM" asap.

Dean told us that this bike was the 105cc bike that Bruce raced that day. He told us that Bruce liked the twin shock better than the new single shocker for this class. Supposedly, Suzuki made him race the 82 model in the stock class but let him ride this bike in the 105 class. Maybe someone can confirm this

This bike ran a larger carb...28mm I think, hand formed pipe. R&D airbox, custom aluminum swingarm, Trick....Triple clamps, curnutt shocks, Yamaha wheels & hubs due to being lighter & stronger,and of course Deans magic motor mods.

This is truly a mini works bike and a treasure that I'll keep for a long time to come. I hope you guys enjoy looking at it as much as I do. It never gets old looking at it.

Great post Works Pilot. Thanks for posting that pic.

Can you post some more pics of that bike?

11/29/2009 3:41pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2009 3:44pm
Should have left the dirt on it. Washed off a significant part of the mystique and history of the bike . Like polishing the patina off of a fine antique.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
11/29/2009 8:00pm
That is SO Cool Works Pilot.

Thanks for posting that.
Webcokid
11/30/2009 9:35am Edited Date/Time 11/30/2009 9:36am
It's nice to know you care about the bike. Bruce and his legacy will live on and I remember this bike like it was yesterday. He had 6 machines in the trailer and this was one of his favorite rides. Bruce was so good, he could do one lap and bring the bike back to his dad for tuning. Ralph was a master at jetting and tuning .
krazee1
11/30/2009 9:51am
That bike is so cool! I can still remember how it sounded when he was wide open. The most badass sounding mini I ever heard.
Webcokid
11/30/2009 3:32pm
NW#599 wrote:
Previously posted by [b]Dirteater[/b] "Me and Tommy Dalton, Brad Sexton were still in the pits that afternoon looking for handlebars, plastics and things the factory camps...
Previously posted by Dirteater

"Me and Tommy Dalton, Brad Sexton were still in the pits that afternoon looking for handlebars, plastics and things the factory camps had thrown away when we saw one of the Suzuki box vans come flying back down the road. Later our parents told us what happend and it was sickining!

Larry Brooks was the only rider on the team that was'nt in the car I think. I was 11 yrs. old and was racing RM80's too and had been watching them all week. They were my new heroes and then that happend. That was a terrible day!"

Godspeed
#2 Rick Hemme
#8 Bruce Bunch
#54 Kyle Fleming
#515 wrote:
ONE OF MY GOOD FRIENDS IS TRACY MEEKS AT THE LAST MINUTE DECIDED NOT 2 GO WITH 2 TOWN OUR THERE COULD HAVE BEEN ONE MORE...
ONE OF MY GOOD FRIENDS IS TRACY MEEKS AT THE LAST MINUTE DECIDED NOT 2 GO WITH 2 TOWN OUR THERE COULD HAVE BEEN ONE MORE IN THE CAR WAS A VERY SAD DAY 4 ME CAUSE BRUCE BUNCH WAS ONE OF MY GOOD FRIENDS RALPH HIS DAD USED 2 TAKE ME 2 THE TRACK WHEN MY DAD DID NOT HAVE TIME THEY WERE GOOD PEOPLE 2 ME MISS U 4 EVER BRUCE
515, I just sent you an e-mail. You should recall our many trips to Saddleback and escape country in the Subaru. Hope your dad is doing well, oh mom too. Wasn't her name Bobby? Get a bike a go ride!
12/1/2009 2:38pm
Works Pilot....another "thank you" for posting the awesome pictures of Bruce's RM105!!
Did you happed to take any pictures of the bike when you first bought it (withdirt still on it) that you could post?

What all was involved in the restoration?

Does anybody have any of track pictures of Bruce or Kyle or Rick that they could post? The one that Webcokid posted is so small you can't really see him. I have never seen what the Bruce or any of the other kids looked like with out their helmets on. Keep up the cool stuff!!!
Webcokid
12/1/2009 3:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:14pm
MXRacer106, it's funny you ask. I made another request for some very special picture/s of the Boys before tha accident at Ponca City. There have been some mixed emotions, but those closest to Bruce have voiced appreciation for all the great comments on this string. I will post these new pictures ASAP! and thanks to everyone involved on this string. It really means alot. Best regards,
Webcokid
CamP
12/1/2009 4:26pm
The RM105 is awesome! Thanks for posting the pics!
JOHN CHOATE
12/1/2009 7:04pm
[img]http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af272/WORKSPILOT/MXPICS022.jpg?t=1259551469[/img][img]http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af272/WORKSPILOT/MXPICS064.jpg?t=1259551666[/img][img]http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af272/WORKSPILOT/MXPICS008.jpg?t=1259551730[/img][img]http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af272/WORKSPILOT/MXPICS015.jpg?t=1259551783[/img]
That's fantastic. I couldn't help but notice some other awesome bikes in the background. Do you have a kitchen in your garage or a garage in your kitchen? Grinning

Post a reply to: Bruce Bunch, Rick Hemme, Kyle Fleming

The Latest