Bruce Bunch, Rick Hemme, Kyle Fleming

Webcokid
10/8/2009 10:27am Edited Date/Time 10/12/2009 9:17am
Webcokid
10/8/2009 4:29pm Edited Date/Time 10/12/2009 9:17am
ASHLEY T
10/12/2009 6:10pm
My brother was the first ever Team Green rider ever, I remember watching him in second place at Ponca chasing Rick Hemme, One lap later he crashed in a turn and had his finger and thumb cut off.
Webcokid
10/16/2009 3:20pm
ASHLEY T wrote:
My brother was the first ever Team Green rider ever, I remember watching him in second place at Ponca chasing Rick Hemme, One lap later he...
My brother was the first ever Team Green rider ever, I remember watching him in second place at Ponca chasing Rick Hemme, One lap later he crashed in a turn and had his finger and thumb cut off.
Ashley T: Are you Sam's sister?

The Shop

Webcokid
10/16/2009 4:15pm
RandyS wrote:
I always liked Duke, I knew him from BMX and I always felt bad that he had to live with that hanging over him for the...
I always liked Duke, I knew him from BMX and I always felt bad that he had to live with that hanging over him for the rest of his life. A few years ago I heard a much different story from someone who was a strict grandfather away from being in the car about what happened and what was going on earlier at the same hump/jump.

This makes it a little easier to hate the guy.

http://contests.ironmanmagazine.com/index.cfm?go2=contests_competitor&C…
Looped Out wrote:
That's not "The Duke". He had a scar straight up his belly to his chest after the crash. He had a scar on his neck also...
That's not "The Duke". He had a scar straight up his belly to his chest after the crash. He had a scar on his neck also, because he was on life support for a long time. All his insides were pushed up into his chest from the impact. It was not pretty. I can't see an scars on this guy.

And yes, Larry Brooks was in the car and driving out the gate next to the tower. Hal S. (the announcer) stopped the car and told Larry he had to do a radio interview, so he got out and Kyle Flemming got in. Larry and Kyle wore Oakley goggles back then and "The Duke" was trying to get Bruce and Rick to wear Oakley's, so he had Larry talk to them since they were all on the same team. The Duke was taking everyone to Sonic burger, but they never came back.

All the R&D Suzuki had been protested by Kawasaki (Team Green), so Ralph Brooks, Ralph Bunch, and Big Rick Hemme were there with the bikes and watching the NMA, making sure they didn't screw up. Rudy and Dean Dickenson were there too. Larry Brooks was just walking around and his parents didn't know he had got out of the car. Jackie Brooks was told that there had been a car crash and she tore off to the train tracks and they were telling her that Kyle was Larry. She couldn't tell who it was because Kyle had come halfway out of the car and the door slammed of his head, crushing it. Kyle wore braces on his teeth and she finally realized it wasn't Larry. No kids had lived and The Duke was already taken to the hospital.

As all this was going on Larry Brooks had walked back over to were his Father was and at that same time Jackie Brooks had drove back to the track to try to find Larry. The police were there and as Jackie Brooks walked up, she saw Larry and ran over to him and grabbed him. Ralph Brooks had no idea what was going on not did Larry. The Police took Larry to the Police car and sat him in the back seat as they told all the parents what had happened. They didn't want Larry to hear the news, because those were his teammates and best friends. Ralph Bunch and the Hemme family all jumped in cars and raced out of the track and went to the Rail Road tracks or the hospital (I don't know where they went), but just after everyone was started to leave and go see what was going on, Jackie Brooks walked over to the Police car and opened the door and sat there and told Larry that everyone was dead (except Rick Hemme and The Duke) and Larry began to cry while his Mother held him. Rick Hemme has sever brain damage and he had lost one eye and I think one was his arms. Rick held on for a day or so, but they lost Brain signal and his parents had to pull the plug on the life support.

Later that night The Brooks family went to Ralph Bunch's room back at the Holiday Inn and Larry sat there was Ralph Bunch for an hour or so. While he smoked cig after cig, he talked to Larry and told him to ride everyday and learn his bike so he could get better. He talked about how much Bruce ran and rode and wanted to help Larry. He had just lost his only kid and he just had this blank look on his face. I don't think he knew what was going on right then. Ralph Bunch and Larry Brooks were just sitting there crying and talking. The hotel room door was wide open and I remember everyone was walking to the door and looking in, not knowing what to say, they would just stand there and finally walk away.

I also remember when the Hemme family checked into the Holiday Inn, they walked to their room and they said it had the smell of death in the room. They told me this after the car crash, but I will never forget then telling me that.

It's was the worst day of my life. I can still remember it like it was yesterday. I had to stop myself from crying a few minutes ago. All I can see is Larry Brooks' Mom grabbing a hold of Larry and hugging him like she had just got her son back.

It didn't stop there (in Ponca City), it was a long drive back to California and going to all the funerals. Ralph Bunch actually drove Bruce Bunch's body back in the back of his van, all the way back to California. Times were much different then.
Just an FYI: I spoke with the most reliable source on how the boys made it back home. Suzuki actually paid for all arrangements and flew both Rick and Bruce's body back to Calif. I am told Kyle was creamated in Oklahoma. From what I am told, and was not told until now, both Bruce and Kyle were in really bad shape-unrecognizable. They knew it was Bruce because he had a cast on his wrist. I look back now, and am glad the dad's did not tell us this. All I remember is a picture of bruce on top of a casket, along with his Simpson helmet, and plan to keep that memory for good!
Looped Out
10/16/2009 9:17pm
Webcokid, Who was you reliable source? The only reason I ask is because I remember my parents talking about how Ralph had drove Bruce back himself. But I could be wrong and he wanted to drive Bruce back to California. This was a long time ago, actually 28 years ago.

You sound like your a Saddleback guy and you might be very surprised who I am and I'm sure I'd be surprised who you are. I sent everyday at Saddleback from 1981 till it closed.

I was very close with the Bunch's, and the Hemme's, but not so close to the Flemming's. They were from AZ. and he had just started going fast.

Give me your low-down bro.
Webcokid
10/19/2009 10:47am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:49am
Looped out, your right. Saddle back was my home track and raced the beginner class at the 1979 world mini grand prix. I rode the novice class the following year at varoius tracks and followed the Harry's team to tracks like Barona Oaks, and 395 Adelonto. Chris Taylor was and still is one of my best friends, and he and Bruce's were best bro's. Taylor went to Kawasaki, Bruce to R&D. Chris rode the pro class until 1984 and was found at the webco flats in his red box van each week. He also rode as a Yamaha Test rider for a number of years and was a great talent. Chris has Bruces Toyota truck that Ralph gave him after it was garged for over 20 years. It still has the R&D racing stickers on the back window. I drove the truck to pick up my last bike and that was cool for me. My name is Tony Palmeri-poof, and grew up around the corner from Chris, and Keith McCarty-Hanna's old mechanic. It's a close knit community as you know! The last time I rode Saddle back was after the 1983 Golden State series with Chris on a practice day. I braved the infamous suicide hill and nearly killed myself a few times. That was a tough right hand turn at the bottom, especially after the pros rode the track. I had a 1981 YZ 125 back then. Even after my race days, it was always fun to practice with Bruce and Taylor. I was there when Bruce broke his femor in the tree section on a Wed. He just bailed and said his leg hurt? I made Bruce crash one time at the corner near the finish line on the front track after I cut him off. They ran the intermediates and novices together sometimes, and yes, Bunch was about to lap me. I took his ass out! Ha! He was pretty mad at me....I think that was a NMA sunday race.
So, The reliable source is by far the most, since he still speaks with Ralph on a daily basis. I never intend on proving anyone wrong, just want to keep the facts straight! It's good to hear your thoughts and hope we can meet sometime to hear more about your past. I am sure we have met before, or maybe crossed paths. We are at Anahiem 1 each year and can always be found around the Yamaha pit area. Do you still ride?
I could try to guess, but there were so many good racers at Saddle back? How about Mickey Diamond? I could go on for ever.
ASHLEY T
10/19/2009 1:42pm
Webco, name was Keith Turpin from Georgia.
mr50racer
10/19/2009 3:48pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2009 3:49pm
ASHLEY T wrote:
Webco, name was Keith Turpin from Georgia.
I remember that......I had to sit out that year because I got hurt at a qualifier when bruce wheelied over my abdomen after a crash.......That happened in the corner by the start line....The finger thing ..Damn I remember that pretty vividly.......
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
10/21/2009 4:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2009 11:23pm
ASHLEY T wrote:
My brother was the first ever Team Green rider ever, I remember watching him in second place at Ponca chasing Rick Hemme, One lap later he...
I thought Billy Liles and Curt McCustion were the first team green riders but there may have been more than just those two.
mr50racer
10/21/2009 5:05pm
I think Sam Storer was the first Kawi rider., He was there before Team Green was started.. Dave Jordon was from Georgia and he brought Liles, and Turpin with him....Before Team Green started Taylor Marcell's dad( I can't remeber his name) actually kind of ran Team Kawasakis program...Or got people free bikes.......It all happened so fast when Dave Jordan started Team Green......Dave was The Man who invented the grass roots marketing program for motocross............
ASHLEY T
10/21/2009 6:24pm
Scott, youre right ,the turn by the starting gate,I was just a little guy. Team Green did start with Liles and Turpin as both were honored a few years back at Loreatts for there 25 year anniversary. Youre Dad always took time with me . I still remember him sending me a box of stickers from back in the day. We seen Dave and Sondra at LLs to me Dave still looks the same.
Webcokid
10/23/2009 4:05pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:54am

Here is a picture of Bruce’s truck. He got the truck when he was 15 and was waiting to get his license. Ralph garaged the truck for over twenty years and finally decided to give it to Chris Taylor. I think this was after Bruce would have turned 40. This truck meant so much to Bruce and he loved to drive it up to saddleback for practice. You can see the original R&D Suzuki stickers on the back windows and the license plate say’s “Bunch”. I drove this truck to pick up my latest bike, and think I had more fun driving the truck then riding the new Honda. It still has the old stereo in it and drives great! Bruce also enjoyed getting muddy in this truck and his mom called it the “Mud Bud”. It was pretty easy to go 4 wheeling back then, as most of the development around Orange County was still in the future. I can still vividly see this truck parked at the Webco flats during a practice day and can still smell the so cal race fuel in the gas cans. I wanted a truck like this so bad, but once Bruce was gone, my dad said a two wheel drive would be best. He said I would role a new 4x4 in a matter of weeks; dad was probably right on this one!
Can’t wait to drive it again next year when I get a new bike!
Webcokid
10/23/2009 4:29pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:54am

Bruce's first helmet: This is my most cherished momento of Bruce. I have many pictures, but this helmet say's it all. It has some nice scratches on it and can tell he was ready for a new full face. This is when the bell Moto 3 and Simpson helmets came out. The helmet sits on a shelf in my garage shop and is an awesome conversation piece. We have hsi old Harry's cycle jersey and plan to post a pic of the jersey as well.
Ozzy
10/24/2009 12:12am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:55am
I remember it all to well.
I was traveling then, a pro
mechanic for Yamaha.
They were locals to me.........
All up & coming future stars.
You could see it..........
I'm still So. Cal. in the 661..........
Got chills just reading it all over again.........
Time heals all they say, but I beg to differ....
Dave O.
10/24/2009 7:44am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2009 7:45am
Webcokid wrote:
Here is a picture of Bruce’s truck. He got the truck when he was 15 and was waiting to get his license. Ralph garaged the truck...

Here is a picture of Bruce’s truck. He got the truck when he was 15 and was waiting to get his license. Ralph garaged the truck for over twenty years and finally decided to give it to Chris Taylor. I think this was after Bruce would have turned 40. This truck meant so much to Bruce and he loved to drive it up to saddleback for practice. You can see the original R&D Suzuki stickers on the back windows and the license plate say’s “Bunch”. I drove this truck to pick up my latest bike, and think I had more fun driving the truck then riding the new Honda. It still has the old stereo in it and drives great! Bruce also enjoyed getting muddy in this truck and his mom called it the “Mud Bud”. It was pretty easy to go 4 wheeling back then, as most of the development around Orange County was still in the future. I can still vividly see this truck parked at the Webco flats during a practice day and can still smell the so cal race fuel in the gas cans. I wanted a truck like this so bad, but once Bruce was gone, my dad said a two wheel drive would be best. He said I would role a new 4x4 in a matter of weeks; dad was probably right on this one!
Webco,

Thank you for sharing the awesome pictures of your friend Bruce's Toyota and helmet! That is amazing that Ralph kept that truck all these years....it looks brand new! It must be like going back in a time machine for you every time you sit in it! I cannot imagine the emotions that you have when you are around it. I have been watching this post for almost year now, and reading all of the comments and stories on this tragic incident has touched my heart.... just like it did when I first read about it as a 15 yr. young man. Reading everyone's recollections of their memories of this sad story gives me goose bumps, and takes me back to 1982. I am now a 42 yr old vet expert from Indiana, where I started racing mx back in 1981 (80cc 12-15) and idolized the likes of Bruce Bunch, Kyle Flemming,Rick Hemme, Eric Kehoe, Paul Denis, Larry Brooks, etc. Growing up in the mid-west, far away from the growing SoCal MX scene, I couldn't wait until the next issue of Minicycle/BMX and Motocross Action to show up at Reader's World, so I could see a few pictures of my 80cc hero's and review their results. I will never forget reading the story about the accident at Ponca that took the lives of these three great riders. It was as big to me as my father reading about the plane wreck that took the lives of Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, and Richie Valens. To me, that was my version of "the day MX died". I cannot imagine how big of a star Bruce Bunch would have been, or how many pro titles he would have won, or Rick and Kyle for that matter, and unfortunately we will never know. They are still legends in my mind, and I am sad to never have had the privilege to see these kids ride their RM80's in person like some of you have on this post. There was not much printed back then about this story, so it was so much of a mystery to me, but now the power of the internet has allowed me to know more about what really happened, and to once again honor these three great mx kids. Thank you everyone for your contributions to this post.....priceless! Webco, do you or anyone else out there have pictures of Bruce or Rick and Kyle without their helmets on? It would be cool to see what Bruce looked like behind the Simpson helmet and Scott goggles! Keep up the great stories guys!!
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
10/24/2009 11:59am
Webcokid wrote:
Here is a picture of Bruce’s truck. He got the truck when he was 15 and was waiting to get his license. Ralph garaged the truck...

mxracer106 wrote:
Webco, Thank you for sharing the awesome pictures of your friend Bruce's Toyota and helmet! That is amazing that Ralph kept that truck all these years....it...
Webco,

Thank you for sharing the awesome pictures of your friend Bruce's Toyota and helmet! That is amazing that Ralph kept that truck all these years....it looks brand new! It must be like going back in a time machine for you every time you sit in it! I cannot imagine the emotions that you have when you are around it. I have been watching this post for almost year now, and reading all of the comments and stories on this tragic incident has touched my heart.... just like it did when I first read about it as a 15 yr. young man. Reading everyone's recollections of their memories of this sad story gives me goose bumps, and takes me back to 1982. I am now a 42 yr old vet expert from Indiana, where I started racing mx back in 1981 (80cc 12-15) and idolized the likes of Bruce Bunch, Kyle Flemming,Rick Hemme, Eric Kehoe, Paul Denis, Larry Brooks, etc. Growing up in the mid-west, far away from the growing SoCal MX scene, I couldn't wait until the next issue of Minicycle/BMX and Motocross Action to show up at Reader's World, so I could see a few pictures of my 80cc hero's and review their results. I will never forget reading the story about the accident at Ponca that took the lives of these three great riders. It was as big to me as my father reading about the plane wreck that took the lives of Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, and Richie Valens. To me, that was my version of "the day MX died". I cannot imagine how big of a star Bruce Bunch would have been, or how many pro titles he would have won, or Rick and Kyle for that matter, and unfortunately we will never know. They are still legends in my mind, and I am sad to never have had the privilege to see these kids ride their RM80's in person like some of you have on this post. There was not much printed back then about this story, so it was so much of a mystery to me, but now the power of the internet has allowed me to know more about what really happened, and to once again honor these three great mx kids. Thank you everyone for your contributions to this post.....priceless! Webco, do you or anyone else out there have pictures of Bruce or Rick and Kyle without their helmets on? It would be cool to see what Bruce looked like behind the Simpson helmet and Scott goggles! Keep up the great stories guys!!
Excellent post mxracer, and thanks for posting the pics Webcokid.
mx101
10/24/2009 6:41pm
ok, the camera adds a few pounds.As Chandler said about Monica on the sitcom Friends,just how many cameras were on you.Hey Kieth,met you in 81 when Dave brought you out to race at Barona Oaks with us.Dave had planned on me flying out there staying at your house and racing with you guys.I remember all of us hanging out and you kept telling me before you left you had to get vans shoes.I kept calling you Turdpin the whole time.You were a good guy and I followed your career because I wanted you to do well.I see you have a son out there.I think hes yours,same last name and from Georgia,what are the chances.Hope things are well for you and your family.Take care.Chris Taylor
mx101
10/24/2009 6:50pm
Ashley,I remember that and then he showed up the next day to watch the races.I couldnt believe it.I was also on the first Team Green Team.Tell Kieth I said Hi from Chris Taylor.Ashley,I was referring to Kieth ripping up his fingers.
mx101
10/24/2009 6:54pm
Hey mr50racer,I know who you are.I would love to hear from you .I havent seen since GlennHelen many years ago.We ran into each other at the national.My e-mail is acemuffler@hotmail.com.My father has asked me many times if I ever talk to you or know how your doing.Chris Taylor
ASHLEY T
10/24/2009 7:00pm
Chris , I will try to get Keith on here to chat with some of you guys . We really enjoy talking about the old days. Keith has two sons that race but you have probaly seen my kids name Jackson Turpin he has done very well nationally, he is a Factory Cobra rider on his 50.
wownd out
10/25/2009 10:56am
I forgot that Duke guy lived thru that train wreck, was he the Oakley guy ? I remember i heard about it the next day and...
I forgot that Duke guy lived thru that train wreck, was he the Oakley guy ?
I remember i heard about it the next day and believe it or not to this day I always look both ways before I cross train tracks.
I hate to say it but if 1 more person went be Brooks or Button then it probably wouldn't have happened because the extra 10 seconds it would have taken for 1 more guy to get in the car the train might have been 10 seconds behind and saw they would have seen it..
David Dooley, was the guy driving the rental car with bruce bunch in it. And yes he was with Oakley.
10/25/2009 1:24pm
wownd out wrote:
David Dooley, was the guy driving the rental car with bruce bunch in it. And yes he was with Oakley.
Never heard of him. Does he know Dana Duke?
wownd out
10/25/2009 1:51pm
It's been a long time but that's what i was told by Rudy and Dean, that the guy was a jerk off, and he worked for oakley, thought his name was David Duley probably was Dana Duke both names have two d's at the first letter of the name like i said it's been a long time, i know the guy came out to some races after the crash and nobody wanted anything to do with him.
mx101
10/25/2009 4:33pm
Ashlet you have spent your life at the races.I have been following Jackson,its the only reason I look up races in your area.Great to have a Turpin to root for again.I got hurt in 86 compressing 3 vertebres and hurting my wrist real bad so I was done with racing as a career.I wanted your bro to do well because he was a nice kid.Tell him I said hey for me.Talk to ya again.Chris
Webcokid
10/26/2009 1:57pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2009 2:03pm
Webcokid
10/26/2009 2:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:56am

Check out this old pic of Harry at the lower webco flat. Look at that hat! The hat always cracked me up! Below: It's Dave and Chris Taylor to the left and Bruce and Ralph Bunch to the right. The pics are kind blurry. Both Taylor and Bunch were on the KX 80 for 80, and 81' and this is before they left for Ponca 1981. Look at those red neck hats! Oh, I think a little pre adolescence had set in with Taylor. It look's like he has a socket ratchet in his pants!
mx101
10/26/2009 4:53pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2009 5:05pm
Hey Webcokid,Bruce won a 1980 kx 80 and liked it so he started racing it and doing well.Kawy started giving him help.I tried his bike and liked it so my dad bought me a couple of them.The next year I got a Team Green ride but Bruce got a ride with R&D suzuki for 1981 and 82.
wownd out
10/26/2009 5:34pm
MX101/ Chris Taylor i want to talk to you! i have pictures of you, you and your dad. P.M. me!.

Post a reply to: Bruce Bunch, Rick Hemme, Kyle Fleming

The Latest