Borderland Motocross Track, El Paso

Troyboy
5/18/2014 11:31am
bradwmson wrote:
Over the hill, I remember the name Randy Stahmann, definitely the Stahmann's farm - I remember riding up there at least once, maybe two or three...
Over the hill,

I remember the name Randy Stahmann, definitely the Stahmann's farm - I remember riding up there at least once, maybe two or three times. i spent more time at Stahmann's buying pecans than i did racing, i think.I vaguely remember the Latrell's bus. I don't think I knew Phil, but I do remember someone that rode with an odd tilt or bend to the bars.

Of course that was back in the days of Maicos, CZs, Bultacos and a few I've forgotten, so odd bends were more the rule than the exception!

We were from the northeast side of the mountain, so most of my riding was out there, plus we had 80 acres just north of the Texas border in New Mexico off Anthony Gap road, so we spent much of our time riding the gas-line roads and cow trails.

Around town we rode at Casner range (back when it was desert) and out between 54 and the railroad tracks behind the big discount furniture store, and would often ride down the railroad to what we called Tank Hills, across the tracks from the military golf course.

When I google Earth El Paso, it seems like most of where we did our riding is now built up. Up here in Michigan, you almost can't ride off-road unless you are on an 'official' trail with your trail permit. Seems odd that back in 74 we just pushed the bike down the street to Trans-Mountain, fired it up, and rode all day without ever getting arrested.

I used to ride to Andress High School about once a week, up Trans-Mountain, and through the power line right of way to a friend's house by the school, leave it there all day, and ride it home at night.

Life sure seemed simpler then.
This is an old newspaper clipping from a race out at Stahmann farms back in 1980 or 81. Thought you'd enjoy another flashback from the good old days of motocross.
I think that one of the guy in the picture is Randy Stahmann, the other is Joel Craig.
Jim_Johnson
9/7/2014 6:07pm
I remember Casner Range well. That was our go to spot. Used to be able to hop on the side roads from the top of Hondo Pass, cut across the dam, ride along the freeway to Trans Mountain and then haul rear end down the dirt trail beside Trans Mountain. All built up now. I rode at a place today that reminded me of Casner, some sand on top of hard pan that was slick as ever. I will always remember us heading out after a rain. We were like frogs, as soon as the rain stopped, we came out of our holes and off we went.
christinnell
3/24/2015 10:53pm

Thank you all for the trip down memory lane. I loved the smell of Bel Rey 2 stroke oil, gas and the desert. Lots of fond memories. I remember the tower, suicide hill, the starting line below (with a rubber band that wacked the heck out of me once), the starting line up above, etc. I still have the the whole track in my mind for both the Wednesday practices/Saturday night races and the longer Sunday track as well. I remember a lot of these names and remember Arvol (who also put on a coliseum race), Pete Tanner etc. I wanted to be like Mabe McIntire. I had raced a few bikes over the years incl. YZ80 - 1977, YZ125 - 1978 and a 1980 Suzuki RM 125. The 1980 Yamahas were the superior bike to the RM for sure. Hard to beat. Here are some results from 1980:
Jim_Johnson
3/25/2015 5:26pm
Chris, thanks for posting. Good to hear from another Borderland alumni. It was a wonderful track. Like you, I got whacked with the surgical rubber band at the bottom of the downhill start. I don't think I knew what hit me. It probably made me gas the throttle for my only holeshot.

The Shop

Bob Duffey
6/13/2015 3:53pm
A few pics from the early years if my cel is in a good mood. Well not so easy for me. no HP & wheels, if there is another way I will try. I have about 50 8x10 photos from El Paso MX park from 1970 or 71. plus my 1st place trophy in the open class. Photos with Harry Lee West, Lanny Wilson & lots more.
My cell is 575 640-6395 or email bobduffey1171@gmail.com if any 1 is interested in getting together for some good ole days. Plus shots from La Luz Speeday & a lot of pictures from my favorite Deming TT SPEEDWAY.
Have a WHEELIE GOOD DAY !
Ps watch AMERICAN PICKERS for a upcoming episode in July here in Las Cruces .
Bob Duffey
6/24/2015 6:37am
Hi guys, my photos are alnost all B/Ws so they go back a little more. To about 1971 when my hero HARRY LEE WEST was king in the dirt around here. I won my first open class race ever. I will try to post pics but not good with is thing - NO WHEELS.

Bob Duffey
6/24/2015 6:53am
The track then was EL PASO MX PARK and was a great place to start MX racing, I was on a SUZUKI TM 400 And it was so fast. a few names from back then was LANNY WILSON, KERN BORLIN, ROBERT COMPOSE, both kern & robert from Las Cruces ( KB & RC ) on #plates. In the color photo is Del Ray on a 400 Maico -he is in Yellow out front with a rootbeer colored helmet & out front. don't know other. Del was part owner of western Cycle Shop in Las Cruces. my # 575 640-6395 or 523-1700 if any 1 would like to see all photos from EP MX OR DEMING TT & some from LA LUZ SPEEDWAY.
Injoyed all the good old days of racing & learning. HAVE A WHEELY GOOD DAY.
BOB DUFFEY

a22
6/25/2015 3:24pm
I've got the kidney belt on tight?Blush

Thought it was a corsett?! Naa, only joking Laughing , cool pic and great to remember how we used to race back then and the gear we wore (or didn't wear). I was never a great fan of the 'body belt', probably should have wore one always but didn't. Also when practicing used to usually favour a short sleeved t-shirt and the protection it offered Woohoo

Jim_Johnson
6/25/2015 6:30pm
Bob, way cool. Thanks for posting. Keep the photos coming. Since you're from Cruces, was Stahman's around back when?
tt80500
9/12/2015 3:27pm
Great early pic's Bob, like those old square barrel Maico's cool.Found my Dad's pictures was not easy!!! From 1976-77-78 Sue Fish No.1 and that race was in April 1978.

10/20/2015 12:15pm
yea i don't get into this site much - but i see bob duffy's pic of harry.....wow wat a long time ago. harry ruled the el paso mx scene for several years.... i hung out at his shop every day after school down on dyer street. got my super-rat and montessa from him...does anyone remember before borderland where we raced???? caterpillar track or lee trevino track? or the one that was off loop 375 at i-10?? how about the desert races from lee trevino street 20 miles east and back ......harry raced a single cylinder velocette 500 cross country before he went to maico..those were the days!!!
i also raced in t or c, la luz, stahman's ,deming,abq,ft.stockton,carlsbad (with tanner) juarez mexico...they paid us to go over and do wheelies....all over the southwest.... now i'm olllllld.... lol
8/28/2016 9:47pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2016 9:48pm
I doubt if anyone will find this post the thread is so old, but l stumbled onto this forum and was surprised to see the picture of me on the 73 Borderland flyer, I have the original still hanging in my office. It was a 250 or 400CZ, I rode for Coronado Suzuki back then, I quit cold turkey in 76, still have 74 CZ 400, hasn't been ridden since, just been sitting in storage.
8/29/2016 5:57am
I think it was on your 250 David. And i believe my dad took that shot for the track. He was the unofficial photographer and cook for the guys that owned the track back then.
Old photo of me on a YZ 250 - not a good one but i like it!!
We had fun times way back then-you and your famous HOT HAT...

bradwmson
8/29/2016 6:41am
Thanks for posting, David - I'd forgotten about this thread until an email showed up from Vital MX!

You still have your 74 CZ 400? Wow. I occasionally wonder what became of my old machines. I had a Yamaha MX 360 (#95), pre monoshock, that we chopped up the rear suspension and laid down the shocks producing some memorable races at Borderlands and Deming both. I also had a Honda TL125 trials bike that for observed trials in the hills behind the Sun Bowl back between 74 and 76.

Joined the Navy in 77, and had my best of friends, Matt Baldwin (below, #57) sell them while I was gone. I wonder where they went!

Matt Baldwin, Honda CR125 (#57) fooling around at Borderlands probably circa 1982.
bradwmson
8/29/2016 6:50am
Found my old photos!

Brad Williamson, 73? Yamaha MX 360? (#95), probably Northeast El Paso, flood control pits out Dyer across the road from Caterpillar. Maybe. Sort of. Who knows...
8/29/2016 7:08am
I think it was on your 250 David. And i believe my dad took that shot for the track. He was the unofficial photographer and cook...
I think it was on your 250 David. And i believe my dad took that shot for the track. He was the unofficial photographer and cook for the guys that owned the track back then.
Old photo of me on a YZ 250 - not a good one but i like it!!
We had fun times way back then-you and your famous HOT HAT...

Freddy...Damn! Good to connect.

I haven't been on a bike since 1976, but I kept one of em, I just pulled it out of sturage, going to clen it up and park it in my office.

I drag race now....

8/29/2016 7:15am
But back on track...Anthony NM, 1970 Montesa 250. My Dad took the picture, love that bike, my1st ride for Fritz.

8/29/2016 7:25am Edited Date/Time 8/29/2016 7:27am
My CZ 400 as it sits now, I just picked it from storage in Silver City, NM

I rebuilt it, new internals, everyting...New Girling gas shockes etc, and parked it, never kicked it over. I grabed the seat and stock gas tank years ago so they are like new. Race truck in the background, it runs low 11s at 120 mph.

8/29/2016 7:50am
Great picture..... That was Borderland wasn't it??? David hear you're the king of Adobe now too
Me i curze a Harley and have a small farm in Anthony NM. Drive a John Deere and grow alfalfa...

8/29/2016 8:21am
David you were verrrrry photogenic back in the day....
so i add my VIVA Montesa pic also.....LOL

8/29/2016 9:37am
Yup...I still play in the mud....Been building adobe homes since 1980.

www.davidcpeterson.com

Harleys..Toys are good !!

Another pic from Borderland, 1970? OSSA 250...Even has my old pit tootsie in it.

8/29/2016 9:39am Edited Date/Time 8/29/2016 1:11pm
Hodaka 100....LOL
Some race track in Las Cruces.

Jim_Johnson
8/29/2016 2:08pm
David, great pics. What style while WFO. Thanks for posting.
8/29/2016 4:26pm
David, great pics. What style while WFO. Thanks for posting.
Thanks, I have a lot more...My Dad *RIP* took most of the pictures, my brother was photographer for the University and local newspaper...Match made in heaven.

What memories.....I'm really glad I just walked way. I quit my El Paso sponsorship and my Dad bought the CZ I still have and we ventured into Phoenix, AZ. I was killing em in lap times, but when the "flag" dropped...I'd hold back, hence I was with the turkeys and getting hurt.

Summary...I lost my cajones to get the hole shot.

But...I've finished 3rd in points the past two years racing my Dakota. Smile

Post a reply to: Borderland Motocross Track, El Paso

The Latest