Borderland Motocross Track, El Paso

Edited Date/Time 9/14/2020 7:40am
Anyone remember this track and some of its faster racers?
During the mid to late 70's some of the better racers included:
Pete Tanner, Scott Logston, Tommy Wicker, Andy Palafox, Maybe McIntyre, and Dean Ulve.
Occasional guest riders included Steve Wise and Carlos Serrano.
|
Larry
5/12/2008 6:54am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:55pm
I knew two brothers that raced there. Crazy F@#&'s they were.
5/12/2008 7:07am
Obi Wan Kenobi (Larry),
You know the ways of the Force. Those two you speak of rode crazy enough to make a seasoned Special Forces Vietnam Army Colonel take to drink.
Larry
5/12/2008 7:12am
I saw him take up smoking because of their race track antics but I think the drinking started from the trouble they caused in the neighborhood.
5/13/2008 1:28pm
The local Yamaha shop flew Sue Fish in for a race around '77 or '78. Not sure how she did but in '78 she tried the 125 Nationals.

The Shop

5/13/2008 1:40pm
I left El Paso in 1977, so I missed that one. The owner of Yamaha of El Paso at that time was named Sherman Barnett. Sherman also sponsored Steve Wise to race a relatively big money indoor motocross race in 1976. Wise usually rode modified Elsinores. But in El Paso, he rode stock Yamahas with the air forks that looked like a speedometer and tachometer on the bike. Wise was very fast and split wins with Carlos Serrano who was riding Husqvarnas at the time.
Larry
5/13/2008 8:01pm
Maybe McItyer has to be one of the all time great racing names. Thats better than Lake Speed.
Larry
5/14/2008 12:08pm
Maybe McIntyre was the El Paso version of Ben Bishop.
Guess thats where the maybe came from huh? Maybe he will crash on the second lap or maybe he will crash on the 3rd but he will crash.Smile
bradwmson
8/9/2010 8:57pm
I left El Paso in 1977, so I missed that one. The owner of Yamaha of El Paso at that time was named Sherman Barnett. Sherman...
I left El Paso in 1977, so I missed that one. The owner of Yamaha of El Paso at that time was named Sherman Barnett. Sherman also sponsored Steve Wise to race a relatively big money indoor motocross race in 1976. Wise usually rode modified Elsinores. But in El Paso, he rode stock Yamahas with the air forks that looked like a speedometer and tachometer on the bike. Wise was very fast and split wins with Carlos Serrano who was riding Husqvarnas at the time.
Holy crap - other people remember Borderlands, too! So it isn't just a figment of my ancient imagination.

I worked for Sherman Barnett at Yamaha of El Paso in the 75-77 time frame. I rode a Yamaha YZ360 (pre-monoshock days) and raced Open Amateur at Bordlands many Saturday nights. I wasn't one of the fastest racers, but I had a great time.

I remember those Yamaha air forks with the huge chamber on top. It seems like a few 'big names' came through the shop back in those days, but I don't remember who (like that's the only thing I don't remember).

I also used to drive to Deming occasionally and race at the 'flat' track up there.

Ran across this post while looking for info on Borderlands - Google Earth shows but bare traces of the track remain, and the Deming track I can't find at all.

Joined the Navy in 1977 and left El Paso. Never competed again. Sold my YZ and a Honda trials bike I was competing with - we used to do the observed trials thing out in the rocky hills by the Sun Bowl on Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for reminding me how many years ago that was!
8/10/2010 7:31am
Thanks for helping me reassure that my mind is still somewhat sound.
Where in El Paso was Borderland track? I would like to check out on Earth Google also. I figured it would be developed by now. Guess not.
The Saturday night races were awesome. My favorite part was "Suicide Hill" near the scoring tower.
bradwmson
8/10/2010 9:55am
Borderlands was on what is now McNutt road on the West side across the river.

I can't figure out how to send you a Google earth marker so create a new placemark in Google Earth and copy and paste these numbers into the lat/long.

31°51'56.06"N
106°38'43.14"W

That should put you right there.

You're right - Saturday nights were awesome - I've never seen a fully lighted track since then. Now nothing remains - not even a light pole. If you scroll back through the history view, in some of the older shots (2003-4) you can see better the remains of the track, I think.

Those hills were awesome - I was there when they built the lip on 'Suicide Hill' that required you to sail the top - no cruising into the downslope. But that drop was incredible, and the landing was as smooth as silk, unless you really sailed it and landed on the flat. I've got a few stories about that.

I also really liked the back straight that ended at the first major uphill after the start. I remember rubber band starts, a forward folding gate when they upgraded, and most of all, trying to tap it out in 5th gear on the back straight.

That was motocross.
8/10/2010 11:28am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2010 8:33am
Thanks for the google map numbers, that brought back some memories. Here is a Saturday afternoon picture from about 1976. We are near the third hill and you can see scoring tower in background. You were probably there. I wish I still had that yz125c.

Larry
8/10/2010 4:45pm
Bet you wish you still had that waistline also.Tongue
Tray 20
8/11/2010 5:22am
Does anyone remember if this Borderland Motorcross Track hosted for a 1976 NMA series race?
8/11/2010 7:05am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2010 7:41am
Tray 20 wrote:
Does anyone remember if this Borderland Motorcross Track hosted for a 1976 NMA series race?
It did. I don't remember the details. I do recall someone named Derek Wedding dominating.
bradwmson
8/11/2010 7:51am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2015 9:19am
Over the hill - yes, I probably was there that day - I'll have to post a picture of my truck If I can find one - it was memorable, you might have seen it at the track. Nice photo - I can't believe that of the few photos I have at Borderlands, I don't have any that show the track, riders and spectators - only close ups of bike riders. Of course that was back in the film days, when every shot cost twenty-five cents, as opposed to the cheap digital world.

Don't remember if NMA series held a 76 event, but I seem to recall a few 'big name' events during that time frame. i may have some posters/flyers in my box of antique 'stuff'. I'll have to dig through it.

bradwmson
8/24/2010 4:25pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2015 9:53am
Found a photo of my race hauler with my sweetheart back in the day - probably more identifiable than photos of my bike. Used this truck to haul my YZ360 to Borderlands, Deming, and to our ranch in Anthony Gap.

Powered by a Buick V-6 swap we did in the driveway, and jacked up package built from scratch - back in the day pre four-wheel drive mini pickups.

Not sure which I miss more, truck, bike, or just El Paso.

8/25/2010 12:12pm
bradwmson,
You are stirring up old memories.
Nice looking Datsun and sweetheart. We had an old 1972 red Datsun pickup that we took to the races. Body looked like your truck. Our truck was stone stock with the 1600cc engine. Speaking of trucks, did you know Phill Latrell (sp), he had an old school bus with the seats out to hall lots of yamahas to the races. He rode with the bars down low.
Also, did you ever race at Stahmann's Farm in Las Cruces? Randy Stahmann was fast there. The Stahmann's made money in the Pecan Farming business.
bradwmson
9/1/2010 6:39pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2015 12:34pm
Over the hill,

I remember the name Randy Stahmann, definitely the Stahmann's farm - I remember riding up there at least once, maybe two or three times. i spent more time at Stahmann's buying pecans than i did racing, i think.I vaguely remember the Latrell's bus. I don't think I knew Phil, but I do remember someone that rode with an odd tilt or bend to the bars.

Of course that was back in the days of Maicos, CZs, Bultacos and a few I've forgotten, so odd bends were more the rule than the exception!

We were from the northeast side of the mountain, so most of my riding was out there, plus we had 80 acres just north of the Texas border in New Mexico off Anthony Gap road, so we spent much of our time riding the gas-line roads and cow trails.

Around town we rode at Casner range (back when it was desert) and out between 54 and the railroad tracks behind the big discount furniture store, and would often ride down the railroad to what we called Tank Hills, across the tracks from the military golf course.

When I google Earth El Paso, it seems like most of where we did our riding is now built up. Up here in Michigan, you almost can't ride off-road unless you are on an 'official' trail with your trail permit. Seems odd that back in 74 we just pushed the bike down the street to Trans-Mountain, fired it up, and rode all day without ever getting arrested.

I used to ride to Andress High School about once a week, up Trans-Mountain, and through the power line right of way to a friend's house by the school, leave it there all day, and ride it home at night.

Life sure seemed simpler then.
Jim_Johnson
10/23/2010 7:44pm
Anyone remember this track and some of its faster racers? During the mid to late 70's some of the better racers included: Pete Tanner, Scott Logston...
Pete Tanner, Scott Logston, Tommy Wicker, Andy Palafox, Maybe McIntyre, and Dean Ulve.
I do remember this track. My dad, brother and I help put together the night track. There were some dang good riders there. I rode there in the mid to late 70's to early 80's. I do remember when the NMA brought a series race there that featured a young Jeff Ward on his Honda 75.
10/25/2010 9:54am
Anyone remember this track and some of its faster racers? During the mid to late 70's some of the better racers included: Pete Tanner, Scott Logston...
I do remember this track. My dad, brother and I help put together the night track. There were some dang good riders there. I rode there...
I do remember this track. My dad, brother and I help put together the night track. There were some dang good riders there. I rode there in the mid to late 70's to early 80's. I do remember when the NMA brought a series race there that featured a young Jeff Ward on his Honda 75.
I vaguely remember you (especially when you got the penton 250 in 1976). I wish that I had bought one from Pete Tanner. I ended up getting a YZ250D which was a pretty good bike also.
tt80500
1/21/2013 12:31pm
Its been a long time to bring this thred back but still not as old as 10/10/1976.That suiside hill was spectacular!!!!!!!I use to drive down from silver city new mexico to the races at borderland.My dad had a nice nicon f2 he took these pixs.I am on 76 and a friend from silver city is on 11 over the hill on 121

1/22/2013 12:57pm
Thanks for posting tt80500! I have nothing but great memories of Borderland. You and your friend got good jumps with your YZX's. Cool radial head on your engine. Pipe looks stock. Did you do anything to the porting or carb?
10/10/76... I was 16 and waiting on delivery of my YZ250D.
I still wish that I had my old yz125C.
mb60
1/23/2013 10:31am
My dad was a construction worker when I was growing up and we lived in the Dallas area. I think I was 7 or 8 and we moved to El Paso for his work and was going to live there for a year or 2. Had to be around 76 or 77 and we lived about 2 miles from the sun bowl. We drove out to the track one Saturday and I remember the hills and how cool it would be cool to ride there someday. About a month after we moved there my dad came home one Saturday and said thats it we are moving back to Dallas. We loaded up what we had and left that night. LOL

Derrick Wedding was a fast Husky rider from Longview that rode quite a few nationals I believe. He is still racing the over 50 class down in the NTX area I believe.
tt80500
1/23/2013 12:38pm
Over the hill why dont time stand still like it did back then 5 years LOL My 76 yz was stock exept the head.I to wish that I had keept.The tanks are good for HL500 Yamahas which would be nice to own!Well I found your threed hear googled Carlos Serrono motocrosser!I raced with him in 74-75 at wilcox az.two az natives racing each other the only thing I could possable do is hole shot him well he aced me out and down before first turn I must have slowed just a hare.We were on these 74 CR HONDAS.I started and raced in 1977 with Sue Fish here at Borderland.My dad has got a good pix of her in the pits will have to post some day!!!!!!!!Are you still riding the motors over the hill???

1/23/2013 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2013 1:12pm
I've got a CRF230 with electric start and a honda 4x4 rancher for trail riding. The CRF230 (see my avitar) is an old man's bike, but fun.
I'm mostly a spectator now. Watch hare scrambles and supercross. I'm looking forward to seeing the Atlanta Supercross on 2/23/13. Thanks for posting the cool pictures. Last one looks like 1979 yz250.
tt80500
1/24/2013 12:14pm
That is Sue Fish #1 on her 1977 yz 125 and at start line first pix I am puting on gogles.Here is me again over the same jump.Maybe over the hill you were raceing your 250 yzd??? I did not get a 250 until 1989,A 1988 kx kawi used but fast it was all ported out no limit on that machine.I did race it at one motocross down in deming in 1989.The rest was desert races over here in az.&nev.and last race was point to point, border to rockey point oid mex.adra race.Glad to here your still riding,I went on a trail ride last summer with friends in silver city they had electric start big bore ktms it was a cool ride down signal peak montain bike trail. tt80500
1/25/2013 6:52am
thanks for the nice pictures. Keep them coming! I missed seeing Sue Fish race. I had already moved to Georgia.

Post a reply to: Borderland Motocross Track, El Paso

The Latest