Best graphics for plastic tanks?

BS261
Edited Date/Time 2/26/2016 1:40pm
Getting ready to shop for the tank decals on my 78 YZ400. I know the decals without holes or perforations won't go too long without wrinkling. Honestly I hate the look of the holes but I don't want to be buying new decals every year (at least) either. Any recommendations on what has worked well for those of you with experience? Has anyone tried the ones DC Plastic is selling, that have slits instead of holes?

Thanks,

Brian
|
Uncle Tony
2/24/2016 2:13pm
K-Rae graphics made mine for my 88 yz490 I ordered two sets thinking they would peel im on the same set for two seasons now, no holes she does an awesome job no bubbles and no peeling back
sandman768
2/24/2016 6:09pm
A lot of it has to do with tank prep, I like to drain tank of all gas & wash out with soap & water, let tank sit for a few weeks with cap off, prep outside of tank with rubbing alcohol b4 applying decals, wait 24-48 hrs before using tank with new decals, when done riding, drain ALL gas out & leave cap off when not in use, I have some bikes where the tank decals stay on no problem & some tanks where they bubble almost as soon as I put them on..
socalkiwi
2/24/2016 9:35pm
I have had great results with wicked tough tank decals from speed & sport, they take a beating. Just makes sure your tank surface is well prepped / clean and you have one shot at sticking them on. They stick like shit to a blanket and you can't peel em off to reposition. Hope this helps.

The Shop

BS261
2/25/2016 1:32am
Thanks guys, the Wicked Tough ones look pretty good. I guess you can't use soapy water to apply them and re-position.
Which leads me to another question, what kind of glue did the manufacturers use to apply the original graphics? Those lasted forever, with no holes.
fookyoo
2/25/2016 9:37am
Just buy the stock style, and replace as needed
the wicked tough bubble too!
yzweldon
2/25/2016 10:07am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2016 10:32am
BS261 wrote:
Getting ready to shop for the tank decals on my 78 YZ400. I know the decals without holes or perforations won't go too long without wrinkling...
Getting ready to shop for the tank decals on my 78 YZ400. I know the decals without holes or perforations won't go too long without wrinkling. Honestly I hate the look of the holes but I don't want to be buying new decals every year (at least) either. Any recommendations on what has worked well for those of you with experience? Has anyone tried the ones DC Plastic is selling, that have slits instead of holes?

Thanks,

Brian
If you seal the tank with Caswell sealer then your graphics will never bubble again. The kit is $40 and did 2 RM tanks for me. Plastic tanks can even be painted after this process. My friend had his yellow YZ tank painted white and has kept gas in it for well over a year and it still looks brand new. EVOMX in England made me custom graphics to my order and exactly how I wanted them for $25 per tank, $18 for side panels and a custom Full Floater swing arm logo, "clear in the center for the gold anodized arm" for $18. They are all top quality and you can get them full or die cut, with or without holes. I forgot to tell them to cancel the holes on the 82 125
Frog #1
2/26/2016 1:40pm
Try Vintage Roost they have MXA stuff, seems to hold up the best!

Post a reply to: Best graphics for plastic tanks?

The Latest