Beautiful restores for sale at East Coast Vintage

RF145
4/16/2017 5:37pm
ledger wrote:
Simply put....Jason, at East Coast Vintage....is a thief.
Ditto
JMC
4/16/2017 6:21pm
ledger wrote:
Simply put....Jason, at East Coast Vintage....is a thief.
I tend to agree with that...
Sofiedog
4/23/2017 5:42pm
It's the old adage "If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't"...I saw the nice web site and wondered how someone could make a profit restoring bikes and selling them for their listed prices. I thought that they would have to get the bikes for next to nothing...$250 or so, and then be very judicious, experienced, and efficient...impressive.
Now the truth comes out...bummer...what a great business, if it were viable, but I don't think it is. Seems when you restore a bike correctly, it's hard to get your money back for parts, nevermind your labor. Is anyone making a living restoring bikes?
Redrcr34
4/23/2017 6:59pm
Been looking at their site everyday, thanks for the heads up. I even tried calling last Friday to have them look for a 91 cr125 to restore. No way I would get anything from them now.

The Shop

Sofiedog
4/23/2017 10:30pm
This was sold as an '83 CR250R without the double leading edge front brake....

Sofiedog
4/23/2017 10:37pm
shock resevoir mounted on wrong side...

Tbteam
5/5/2017 11:16am
I ran across a Facebook post of someone saying how awesome an old YZ looked on his site with pics of the bike. I commented that the bikes coming out of there were not up to par and to stay away. My post was deleted, and all of the sudden people were saying how awesome the bike looked. Next thing I know, he shows up and talks about how he can make certain mods to bikes for the buyer. This guy seems to be a huge scammer.
RF145
5/5/2017 11:50am
I saw that post too. I was going to comment when I realized he controlled that post.
Yes, there are many people that are new to VMX or semi new that have no idea that they are looking at a pig
Sofiedog
5/5/2017 1:52pm
The only way I could sell these according to my ethics, is to call them "garage" restorations and clearly state they are not rideable restorations and they need to be completely disassembled, inspected, and repaired...
Sofiedog
5/5/2017 2:00pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2017 2:05pm
This '83 CR250R is easy for me to pick apart, because I have one...bike is not safe to ride...
The rear brake cable is loose, even though all the adjustment has been taken up..the rear brake arm is bent...the chain adjusters lock nuts are missing or not correct..

If you bought it as a non-rideable bike to look at, wouldn't you want it to look correct? '83 250 has white backgrounds, black fork boots, black handlebars, black levers, red shock spring, the drive sprocket and other aluminum pieces were not painted silver...
ledger
5/5/2017 8:11pm
I think the owner is going to get roosted. Braaaapp.
retrofun
5/5/2017 9:32pm
I've been following this thread since day one, I almost fell for it when looking at the site but figured for the $$ being asked it won't be perfect.. Wow thanks for saving me the headache.. I googled them originally but saw almost no info on the company.
ns503
8/16/2017 9:26am
First time I have seen this thread.

I don't know squat about this guy, and get what everybody is saying - but I see a couple bikes on there that if I was in the area, I would still come check out. All under a buyer beware thing of course & knowing full well the rattle can approach. Pretty sure I wouldn't buy without checking it out in person & loading it up myself though.
MaxPower
8/19/2017 10:38am Edited Date/Time 8/19/2017 10:39am
OK but anyone into vmx knows what it takes to have a bike built to most racers standards. Buy a bike for 800 and drop 2000 not counting the hours in the garage to build it. I'll never sell my KX. I can't come close to getting back what I put into it in just the parts.
The business is in North Carolina not Beijing. If you buy a bike for 3000 from a business don't you expect it not to be a top rate build? Or would you? If I were to build biked for profit I'd have to sell them for 5 or 6000. And very few vintage racers have that disposal income or willing to part with it if they did. They would just buy a modern bike. Just saying I don't get where anyone is shocked by over spray from a expansion chamber paint job on some ignition wires. Or home Depot hose clamps holding a carb on. I'd be shocked if the biked didn't have them
Taotech
8/23/2017 10:46am
I think it is important to keep in mind that Mr. Weaver comes from a family of car salesmen not a family of mechanics or restorers. What he is doing with these bikes is the same that they do with cars. Buy a used car, make it look a little better, pay someone to make it run a little better. Then try and resale for a profit. Its a very tough business with cars and probably harder with vintage bikes. He is just a moto loving used car guy trying to make a living. I'm pretty sure cars are his bread and butter these bikes are just a little side gig. Give him a break.
newmann
8/23/2017 11:24am
Taotech wrote:
I think it is important to keep in mind that Mr. Weaver comes from a family of car salesmen not a family of mechanics or restorers...
I think it is important to keep in mind that Mr. Weaver comes from a family of car salesmen not a family of mechanics or restorers. What he is doing with these bikes is the same that they do with cars. Buy a used car, make it look a little better, pay someone to make it run a little better. Then try and resale for a profit. Its a very tough business with cars and probably harder with vintage bikes. He is just a moto loving used car guy trying to make a living. I'm pretty sure cars are his bread and butter these bikes are just a little side gig. Give him a break.
A good description of the bike would have prevented all of this. Pretty simple actually.
Taotech
8/23/2017 12:46pm
Maybe he does deserve the flak he gets. Used car guys around here are a special breed. I have met Jason before. I don't think he intends to rip people off. He is probably genuinely proud of the stuff he sells and he prices it at what he feels its worth. He possibly does not really know any better. If he was a mechanic he would really know what he was selling was a p.o.s.
Oldnslo
8/23/2017 2:45pm
Taotech wrote:
Maybe he does deserve the flak he gets. Used car guys around here are a special breed. I have met Jason before. I don't think he...
Maybe he does deserve the flak he gets. Used car guys around here are a special breed. I have met Jason before. I don't think he intends to rip people off. He is probably genuinely proud of the stuff he sells and he prices it at what he feels its worth. He possibly does not really know any better. If he was a mechanic he would really know what he was selling was a p.o.s.
He knows full well what he is selling and it's condition and it's restoration. He is not a fool. He is a ripoff artist that sell junk and screws people over with full knowledge. Period ! Stereotypical used car salesman...lets call a spade a spade here.
oldmxracer
8/23/2017 11:41pm
Painted sprockets and spokes? Don't take anything apart and spray bomb it?
I think they know what they're doing...
RF145
8/26/2017 8:24pm
Montesa wrote:
Had to chime in here. TRIED to buy an unrestored 414 Montesa from Jason before he "restored" it. I said I would pay him a decent...
Had to chime in here. TRIED to buy an unrestored 414 Montesa from Jason before he "restored" it. I said I would pay him a decent profit on what he paid for the bike, but no way. He said that, "The guys who are willing to pay big bucks for my restorations really only want them to look at - not to ride." Seriously. I see that the bike is now "finished" and up on their site. BOTH forks are broken at the pinch bolts - and they went ahead and spray-bombed them anyway. All hardware store fasteners, painted spokes - didn't even clean the old flaking paint off the engine before spray bombing it. Welded up a kickstarter from some other bike. Sad, sad, sad. He knows it's rare, so is asking six grand for this mess.

Give him a break?

Did you not read this post?

A broken arm or leg perhaps.

Disgusting, totally disgusting.
ledger
8/28/2017 9:26pm
RF145 wrote:
Give him a break?

Did you not read this post?

A broken arm or leg perhaps.

Disgusting, totally disgusting.
Maybe we can have lunch with Jason someday and ....Whistling
gregscycles
8/29/2017 7:06am
Dude ,This guy buys and sells USED ( not new) . Dirt bikes . for the most part. The prices he is getting for them is not what you would have in them to be the show pieces you guys want to put in your living room.
Sofiedog
8/29/2017 8:37am Edited Date/Time 8/29/2017 8:39am
That's right. We're just making sure those who read this forum deal with this place with their eyes wide open...My dad has a saying..."It looks nice from far, but is far from nice."
gregscycles
8/29/2017 9:38pm
Yes ,you are right. Im just saying these bikes are what they are for the price. Some of the post really down this guy, but I'm sure if you want to spend the big money and not be greedy and think you are getting a museum bike for the prices I saw . maybe they are expecting too much. He has a good mix of some hard to find bikes . I would buy one and I wanted to take it to the high level I would spend the money to get it that way. Can a guy make a dollar? No I do not know him either just keep seeing all the negative post. I find bikes all the time cheap . but they usually need a lot of work . his prices are not that out of line. And sure he is going to fix them up to look as nice as he can with out dumping a ton of money on them. But hey you know how opinions are. Thats mine..
Oldnslo
8/29/2017 10:21pm
Yes ,you are right. Im just saying these bikes are what they are for the price. Some of the post really down this guy, but I'm...
Yes ,you are right. Im just saying these bikes are what they are for the price. Some of the post really down this guy, but I'm sure if you want to spend the big money and not be greedy and think you are getting a museum bike for the prices I saw . maybe they are expecting too much. He has a good mix of some hard to find bikes . I would buy one and I wanted to take it to the high level I would spend the money to get it that way. Can a guy make a dollar? No I do not know him either just keep seeing all the negative post. I find bikes all the time cheap . but they usually need a lot of work . his prices are not that out of line. And sure he is going to fix them up to look as nice as he can with out dumping a ton of money on them. But hey you know how opinions are. Thats mine..
Point taken !

ledger
8/31/2017 10:13pm Edited Date/Time 8/31/2017 10:19pm
Yes ,you are right. Im just saying these bikes are what they are for the price. Some of the post really down this guy, but I'm...
I'll be honest with you, I paid $6,577.00 for the bike you see in my profile pic, I really didn't want to let anyone know how much I paid because it's a lot of money. ECV listed this bike for $2900.00, which was very reasonable, I contacted Jason and sent in the required down payment, I made a check list of what I wanted done to the bike, I also made a list of what I did not want, we also spoke over the phone many times. I informed him...Do Not Put New Plastics On because I had my own from XYZ, he did it anyway at a charge of $275.00 but did not include the front number plate. I asked for black rims (shoulda got gold, lol) with new spokes....every Bucannan spoke was bent due to wrongfully drilled holes in rims, so,both rims and spokes are trash (Jason has the pictures). I told him do not change footpegs, he changed them anyway and charged me $120.00. I asked to have the cylinder head powdercoated...he used rattle can and charged $85.00. As I roll the bike down my drive (after delivery guy leaves) the clutch cable snaps and the actuator arm come's out of the motor, next, the entire throttle assembly is broken, and I'm not in my garage yet. The steering was so loose that you could hear it clank when I pulled in the front brake lever....Why didn't he put in new steering head/stem bearings when he got the frame back from being powdercoated ?....because the frame never made it to the powdercoater, which I was charged well over $200.00. Did he try to work with me on these issue's ? NO !! In fact, he acted as if I offended him. I called and asked for a copy of Bill Of Sale because the bike was stolen along with everything else I had in storage after my divorce, Jason told me the BOS was upstairs and it was too hot to go up there that day, I called him three more times and never received the BOS for the police report. My plan was to ride/race this bike but it never happened. I could go on but I'm tired of typing.
smezmx
9/1/2017 12:20am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2017 12:21am
WTF.This guy is taking liberty's....i'm very surprised he has'nt taken a good beating too.the bikes look nice in the pics (at a glance) but how does he stay in business pulling shit like that? He obviously could'nt give a shit for anybody and takes advantage of nice people.
We tend to get tunnel vision/blinded when we see a bike that we "always wanted as a kid" but could'nt afford it,or a bike we used to own "race back in the day" and this jason fella knows it!!
He's not "restoring" those bikes....just bodging them up for a quick turnover.

ledger
9/1/2017 3:44pm
smezmx wrote:
WTF.This guy is taking liberty's....i'm very surprised he has'nt taken a good beating too.the bikes look nice in the pics (at a glance) but how does...
WTF.This guy is taking liberty's....i'm very surprised he has'nt taken a good beating too.the bikes look nice in the pics (at a glance) but how does he stay in business pulling shit like that? He obviously could'nt give a shit for anybody and takes advantage of nice people.
We tend to get tunnel vision/blinded when we see a bike that we "always wanted as a kid" but could'nt afford it,or a bike we used to own "race back in the day" and this jason fella knows it!!
He's not "restoring" those bikes....just bodging them up for a quick turnover.

You got all above correct brother, now get your ass on a plane and come see me, bring Vanessa with you.
smezmx
9/7/2017 3:37am
ledger wrote:
You got all above correct brother, now get your ass on a plane and come see me, bring Vanessa with you.
Txs dude.......One fine day maybe........Cool
Rocky739
3/18/2018 6:31pm
Uggh... After telling a friend not to do it, he bought a AJS off these clowns. Bike looks ok from ten feet but so far he's found, split spoke nipples, no gaskets in intake, shock and chain interference, bent bars, fuel tank leaks...
Bike still isn't running without choke on even after fixing intake leaks...
How do these guys stay in business?

Post a reply to: Beautiful restores for sale at East Coast Vintage

The Latest