Ascot motocrosses from 70s and 80s

ChrisMackay
2/6/2009 9:05pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2020 3:27pm
Hey,
I've lost track of all but a few guys that I've managed to stay in touch with. I haven't really kept up. (Marriage, kids, work, etc) What happened to all of the old ascot motocross racers. Dale Lewis, (Sold me his Maico 450 Magnum - see my profile photo), Todd Petersen, Tim Lunde. And how about my fellow 125 Junior class buddies? Danny Matis, (I miss the free ice cream at Fosters Freeze) Paul Ellis, (Paul, remember when I passed you and asked you later if you were sick? You said no, I was just going faster than you - Paul was fast). Phil Lemmons, Mike Lentini, Steve Rawlinson, Mark Sager (Sorry about the time I used you for a jump Mark)
I heard Donnie Luce was a team manager at Yamaha now. Cool.
I remember Dickie McMillan cherry picking in our class. At the time he was as fast as the experts. And what about Bill Boyer? Bill and I used to fight over girls in high school. Hey Bill, remember "Mary Ann Clemens?" :-) Feel free to post any info you may have.
Thanks!
Chris / 36R
|
ninety3
2/7/2009 11:00am
Ha !
I just sold a bike to Bill yesterday, he's racing desert stuff these days, I'll tell him you said hey Chris.

I raced a few wed night summers out there, preferred outdoor tracks like Saddleback, Indian Dunes, Carlsbad, etc, but when the occasional mid-week boredom set in Ascot was cool.
andymoto
2/7/2009 12:46pm
I remember the National Dirt Track half miles.....still remember one year, the late(RIP) Will Davis crashing at the finish line coming off last turn....might've been the one of the last yrs they ran the half miles and the MX night track inside...
indy_maico
2/9/2009 10:31am
I had a buddy who moved from Ohio to Glendale in 1975 and I went out to visit him in 76 and we went to a Wednesday night MX at Ascot to spectate.
ChrisMackay
2/11/2009 11:16pm
Does anyone remember one particular Wednesday night at ASCOT during the summer of 82 when a REALLY HOT BLOND CHICK WITH A KILLER BODY, and wearing bright orange bib overalls, was getting everyone's attention and ended up having her way with a local racer in Greg Vitali's stationwagon? (Parked not far behind the concession stand in the pits?)
I know Radical Ron Turner and John Desoto remember. Ron was jumping on the stationwagon at the time. Along with about 50 other people. John was there too. I believe it happened between races. The announcer said "There seems to be some kind of commotion in the pits". No one was watching the races, everyone was watching Vitali's stationwagon. I think she actually came with some friends and neighbors of Westergaard's. (250 pro) Not sure. IF YOU WERE THERE, THEN YOU REMEMBER.

OKOK, it was me. She attacked me, I was helpless. She forced herself on me what could I do? Wish I could remember her name, but she lived off Crenshaw just up the hill from PCH near Alta Loma Park?

If anyone remembers this or has info regarding this shameless spectacle, please let me know. ChrisMackay

The Shop

Slow ~ Pro
2/12/2009 10:31pm
Does anyone remember one particular Wednesday night at ASCOT during the summer of 82 when a REALLY HOT BLOND CHICK WITH A KILLER BODY, and wearing...
Does anyone remember one particular Wednesday night at ASCOT during the summer of 82 when a REALLY HOT BLOND CHICK WITH A KILLER BODY, and wearing bright orange bib overalls, was getting everyone's attention and ended up having her way with a local racer in Greg Vitali's stationwagon? (Parked not far behind the concession stand in the pits?)
I know Radical Ron Turner and John Desoto remember. Ron was jumping on the stationwagon at the time. Along with about 50 other people. John was there too. I believe it happened between races. The announcer said "There seems to be some kind of commotion in the pits". No one was watching the races, everyone was watching Vitali's stationwagon. I think she actually came with some friends and neighbors of Westergaard's. (250 pro) Not sure. IF YOU WERE THERE, THEN YOU REMEMBER.

OKOK, it was me. She attacked me, I was helpless. She forced herself on me what could I do? Wish I could remember her name, but she lived off Crenshaw just up the hill from PCH near Alta Loma Park?

If anyone remembers this or has info regarding this shameless spectacle, please let me know. ChrisMackay
I found the woman...

She has retired the Orange Bib Overalls, but admits to giving birth to octuplets, from that one glorious night. She said for a man with such a short fuse, you sure made a loud bang ! (whatever that means)

She seeks child support

ChrisMackay
2/13/2009 7:04am
You can't get pregnant that way.
It could be her but she had BLOND hair. :-)~
Slow ~ Pro
2/13/2009 1:38pm
You can't get pregnant that way.
It could be her but she had BLOND hair. :-)~
She wants a DNA test !

She changed her hair color to protect the innocent.
Slow ~ Pro
2/13/2009 4:50pm
I run into Dennis Kanegae, all the time...just saw him last week at Mission Motorsports in Irvine.
ChrisMackay
2/13/2009 5:33pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2016 1:12pm
Hey, anybody in contact with Dave Aldana? He knows Mary Ann Clemens from Lomita.
That's the girl that Bill Boyer and I used to fought over.
If any girls got too clingy Bill would tell them they're interfering with his racing, and he'd dump em! (Smooth)
Memories!
JPT
2/13/2009 6:23pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2009 6:23pm
Hey, anybody in contact with Dave Aldana? He knows Mary Ann Clemens from Lomita. That's the girl that Bill Boyer and I used to fought over...
Hey, anybody in contact with Dave Aldana? He knows Mary Ann Clemens from Lomita.
That's the girl that Bill Boyer and I used to fought over.
If any girls got too clingy Bill would tell them they're interfering with his racing, and he'd dump em! (Smooth)
Memories!
Got this shot of Aldana airing out that big Norton of his at Peoria. He was amazing that year. This is from the following year's program.
JPT
2/13/2009 6:24pm
ChrisMackay
2/13/2009 8:07pm
JPT wrote:
[IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a152/JPT54/Old%20School/scan.jpg[/IMG]
AWESOME PHOTO! I don't think I ever saw him in anything but the SKELETON leathers.
We used to see him a lot back in the day. He was a So Cal local.
ChrisMackay
2/14/2009 12:27am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2009 1:57pm
ChrisMackay
2/14/2009 12:36am
If you want to go back to Ascot for a little stroll down memory lane, go to photobucket.com
and type in ChrisMackay. It will say no matches, but scroll down and it will say ChrisMackay photos, click on. If Ascot meant much to you you'll enjoy the pics.
JPT
2/14/2009 2:03pm Edited Date/Time 2/14/2009 2:05pm
AWESOME PHOTO! I don't think I ever saw him in anything but the SKELETON leathers. We used to see him a lot back in the day...
AWESOME PHOTO! I don't think I ever saw him in anything but the SKELETON leathers.
We used to see him a lot back in the day. He was a So Cal local.
First time I saw Aldana was at Peoria in 70 when he was on the BSA team with Dick Mann and Jim Rice. That was the year they were filming OAS. Dsve was riding for Norton when that shot was taken and had started wearing that big A on his helmet. Saw him at Peoria and the Indy mile in that gear. I did get to see him in the skeleton outfit at the Houston double in '76.
Craze
2/14/2009 2:31pm Edited Date/Time 2/14/2009 2:32pm
I used to be at Ascot every Wednesday night during 80-85, Used to pit for Jeff Conlin #470, Husqvarna ,He was the only guy wearing "Leathers" in the pro class. I knew Dickie and his dad, and uncle...the whole gang. Jeff Hofmiester #48H used to hang out with us. Always a good time. I've even gone trail riding with Aldana, Great guy and amazing rider
ChrisMackay
2/15/2009 7:22pm
]OKOKOK, who remembers Saddleback in the late 70s early 80s?? Remember that crazy uphill. One bike wide hairpin - drop off - downhill? I remember my first race there. I got there late and didn't practice. After the start and dodging big rocks on the track, there was the uphill. I couldn't believe that they would have a "Vertical drop after a hairpin?" It was trial by fire but I managed it OK. It was quite a shock the first time though. I'll dig out some Saddleback photos and put them on my Vital profile.
Craze
2/15/2009 7:51pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 10:31pm
Remember plenty of uphills & downhills, don't remember a one bike wide downhill though...Are you talking about Suicide mountain?
ChrisMackay
2/15/2009 9:53pm
Craze wrote:
Remember plenty of uphills & downhills, don't remember a one bike wide downhill though...Are you talking about Suicide mountain?
No, it was just a big hill with a really narrow "U turn" at the top that just dropped off into oblivion. (Took some balls the first time) It was the first "Labor Day Classic" back in 79'
I think. I'll scan a few pics and the event sticker from the race and put them on my Vital profile for anyone who's interested.
abn166
2/20/2009 6:42am
i ran into todd peterson at the anaheim supercross in 2006. he is doing well and still lives in the area.
maicoman
2/20/2009 8:41am
How about the Penton clan of McDougal, Garrett, and LaPorte? I use to race, flag and sneak into that place every time it was open.
maicoman
2/20/2009 8:42am
Anyone remember when there were ponds in the infield?
JPT
2/20/2009 2:35pm
maicoman wrote:
How about the Penton clan of McDougal, Garrett, and LaPorte? I use to race, flag and sneak into that place every time it was open.
Sondy was talking about the McDougals over in the Moto-Related "what ever happened to" thread a week or so ago.
motogeezer
2/20/2009 4:49pm
]OKOKOK, who remembers Saddleback in the late 70s early 80s?? Remember that crazy uphill. One bike wide hairpin - drop off - downhill? I remember my...
]OKOKOK, who remembers Saddleback in the late 70s early 80s?? Remember that crazy uphill. One bike wide hairpin - drop off - downhill? I remember my first race there. I got there late and didn't practice. After the start and dodging big rocks on the track, there was the uphill. I couldn't believe that they would have a "Vertical drop after a hairpin?" It was trial by fire but I managed it OK. It was quite a shock the first time though. I'll dig out some Saddleback photos and put them on my Vital profile.
I remember that drop-off.

It was at the furthest north west end of the track, if I remember correctly, and first appeared in '75, or '76.

Straight up, sharp left... OH SHIT!

The first time I encountered it was on a Monday that some friends and I ditched school to ride.

One of my buddies cross-rutted the landing right in front of me, went down, and I ran him over.

My rear wheel landed on his bike so I pinned it to avoid going over the bars, and spun some gnarly knobby marks across his back in the process.

I went over the bars anyway...

Slow ~ Pro
2/20/2009 4:58pm
motogeezer wrote:
I remember that drop-off. It was at the furthest north west end of the track, if I remember correctly, and first appeared in '75, or '76...
I remember that drop-off.

It was at the furthest north west end of the track, if I remember correctly, and first appeared in '75, or '76.

Straight up, sharp left... OH SHIT!

The first time I encountered it was on a Monday that some friends and I ditched school to ride.

One of my buddies cross-rutted the landing right in front of me, went down, and I ran him over.

My rear wheel landed on his bike so I pinned it to avoid going over the bars, and spun some gnarly knobby marks across his back in the process.

I went over the bars anyway...

Hmmm...All this time, I just thought you had a big ass !
motogeezer
2/20/2009 5:00pm
Slow ~ Pro wrote:
Tag.

I'm "it"!
ChrisMackay
2/20/2009 6:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 10:35pm
Slow ~ Pro wrote:
motogeezer wrote:
Tag.

I'm "it"!
I can feel the love in this room! I'm glad I'm not the only one old enough to remember that hill.

Post a reply to: Ascot motocrosses from 70s and 80s

The Latest