Vintage Championship 500c Jacket. Anyone know where its from?

martel9090
Edited Date/Time 12/30/2016 2:48pm

|
martel9090
12/30/2016 1:41am
I tried checking online and could hardly find much, not sure if its worth anything or just another jacket.
a22
12/30/2016 12:28pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2016 12:37pm
Not sure if this is relevant but could this be a film of one of the rounds of that series?
Golden State 1988 Carlsband

If so there are some pretty decent competitors in there, including some very good top Euro riders- i.e, Jacky Vimond, 250cc World Champion 1986- AKA "The Pink Panther'- if you could beat him you had to be someone for sure!

So if that jacket was presented to the Winner of that series, not sure if that may have been the case-
then would say it is worth something for sure, given the quality of riders in the series,- if it is the series on the link I post.
SouthwestMfg
12/30/2016 1:15pm
CMC Golden State Series 1988 - 500cc Champion

Not sure who won that year, was out of racing by that season. Yes the video from the Carlsbad round is the GSS series. You might try to msg. Sondy132001, Sondra Peters, was a member here for some time. Her dad Stu Peters "is" CMC. Maybe there website ?

Yes mid to late 80's there was serious talent in that series. I'm thinking it might have been Scott Manning that year.

The Shop

Sondy132001
12/30/2016 2:43pm
Maybe Dan Berg ? I'd have to ask my pops on that year or dig through results. What size is the jacket ? where did you get it from ?
martel9090
12/30/2016 3:06pm
Maybe Dan Berg ? I'd have to ask my pops on that year or dig through results. What size is the jacket ? where did you...
Maybe Dan Berg ? I'd have to ask my pops on that year or dig through results. What size is the jacket ? where did you get it from ?
Size 44 and I got it as a gift for Christmas.
Bigfoot
12/30/2016 6:13pm
A little searching on the Cycle News archive page would surely find it.

Hmmm, 1988, Goat Breker rode the 500 class in that series.
Bigfoot
12/30/2016 6:17pm

Yup. That was the year that Breker bet Mitch Payton that he'd win the 500cc Golden State Title. Loser would get his head shaved by the other. Goat won.
a22
12/31/2016 12:52pm Edited Date/Time 12/31/2016 1:04pm
^^ Mystery solved by the looks of it then, nice one.

Looks like Goat had more interest in shearing Mitch like a sheep (or is it a mohawk!) than he did in keeping the jacket!Woohoo

Nice bit of vintage Moto Memorabilia and that seemed like a really cool series with some really good riders in it back in the day.

EDIT : Just noticed, the strange emblem/ symbol on the jacket- think it maybe a Goat- poss a personalised touch for the winner?- who was Goat!
Kind of wondered what that emblem was but maybe this explains it, looks like a 'caricature Goat', with the twisted horns?
Robgvx
1/1/2017 11:04am
a22 wrote:
^^ Mystery solved by the looks of it then, nice one. Looks like Goat had more interest in shearing Mitch like a sheep (or is it...
^^ Mystery solved by the looks of it then, nice one.

Looks like Goat had more interest in shearing Mitch like a sheep (or is it a mohawk!) than he did in keeping the jacket!Woohoo

Nice bit of vintage Moto Memorabilia and that seemed like a really cool series with some really good riders in it back in the day.

EDIT : Just noticed, the strange emblem/ symbol on the jacket- think it maybe a Goat- poss a personalised touch for the winner?- who was Goat!
Kind of wondered what that emblem was but maybe this explains it, looks like a 'caricature Goat', with the twisted horns?
If I recall correctly the series was sponsored by Dodge trucks. So is that not a Dodge RAM logo?

I have a similar one from the 1987 series.
a22
1/1/2017 11:19am
Robgvx wrote:
If I recall correctly the series was sponsored by Dodge trucks. So is that not a Dodge RAM logo? I have a similar one from the...
If I recall correctly the series was sponsored by Dodge trucks. So is that not a Dodge RAM logo?

I have a similar one from the 1987 series.
Yes maybe that explains it Rob and is not a logo for Goat Breker.

You did pretty good in the '87 series didn't you and Mark Banks also? Bet that was a good experience coming to the States and racing this Series?
Robgvx
1/2/2017 5:00am
a22 wrote:
Yes maybe that explains it Rob and is not a logo for Goat Breker. You did pretty good in the '87 series didn't you and Mark...

You did pretty good in the '87 series didn't you and Mark Banks also? Bet that was a good experience coming to the States and racing this Series?
It was fantastic. Stayed 7 or 8 weeks with Eddie Cole from Answer Products. Great to be able to ride and race on nice tracks in good weather compared to the cold, wet, muddy conditions we have in the UK in January/February.

Great to race against the US riders too. They were fast! I felt that it was a great advantage to start the European season 'up to speed' by getting a few races under my belt first.

I finished third in the series behind Brian Myerscough and Mike Fisher, but strangely I was credited with winning the 'International Class', which comprised of just myself and teammate Mark Banks. I might see if I can find that jacket and post a photo.

Great times.

Sondy132001
1/2/2017 7:45am
a22 wrote:
Yes maybe that explains it Rob and is not a logo for Goat Breker. You did pretty good in the '87 series didn't you and Mark...

Robgvx wrote:
It was fantastic. Stayed 7 or 8 weeks with Eddie Cole from Answer Products. Great to be able to ride and race on nice tracks in...
It was fantastic. Stayed 7 or 8 weeks with Eddie Cole from Answer Products. Great to be able to ride and race on nice tracks in good weather compared to the cold, wet, muddy conditions we have in the UK in January/February.

Great to race against the US riders too. They were fast! I felt that it was a great advantage to start the European season 'up to speed' by getting a few races under my belt first.

I finished third in the series behind Brian Myerscough and Mike Fisher, but strangely I was credited with winning the 'International Class', which comprised of just myself and teammate Mark Banks. I might see if I can find that jacket and post a photo.

Great times.

And don't forget you met me Smile . Yes it was the dodge trucks gsn and that was the ram logo !!
Robgvx
1/2/2017 10:05am
And don't forget you met me Smile . Yes it was the dodge trucks gsn and that was the ram logo !!
Couldn't forget you Sondra!
martel9090
1/2/2017 4:06pm
Anyone interested in buying I guess i can take some offers, ill post it in the selling thread later but ill just put it here for any offers I can get just to see if I can set a price.
Sondy132001
1/4/2017 9:49am
martel9090 wrote:
Anyone interested in buying I guess i can take some offers, ill post it in the selling thread later but ill just put it here for...
Anyone interested in buying I guess i can take some offers, ill post it in the selling thread later but ill just put it here for any offers I can get just to see if I can set a price.
I might know someone interested ! pm me your email address

Post a reply to: Vintage Championship 500c Jacket. Anyone know where its from?

The Latest