Any London area moto events Sat, 24 Mar?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/19/2018 7:13 PM

Will be flying Houston-London later this week, and will hopefully have most of Saturday free before heading
back to Houston mid-day Sunday. Any vintage swap meets or racing events happening within reasonable reach of d/t London? There looks to be a race at Guernsey?, but that looks near impossible to get to? If there is a really cool event on Sunday, I may be able to take a later flight to attend, but likely not, so Saturday is the goal.

What say you, U.K. moto-heads?

|

3/21/2018 4:23 PM

Think you'll struggle to find anything this weekend to be honest, especially events of a decent standard. It's a shame you're not around the following weekend as Easter is always a busy weekend for motorsport in the UK.

|

Jeff Emigs Keys to the Race:
1. Get a good start
2. Don't crash

3/21/2018 5:18 PM

When I look at www.acu.org.uk/events/, I see a mx at Guernsey and a Hare and Hound at Ash Down Farm, Upper Hill Barn, Didcot, Oxon (which sounds like five different places to me smile

Any of you Brits familiar with either place/event? I have no idea how one would get to Guernsey; seems more than a bit of trouble. If there are better options on Sunday, I might be able to take a later flight and attend something on the 25th (but maybe that web site only has events too far away?)

|

3/22/2018 3:03 PM

Guernsey is gonna be way to difficult for you I think, Ashdown is near Blewbury in Oxfordshire, it’s probably 2.5 - 3 hours out of London, it’s been very, very wet/snow in most of the UK the past 2 weeks, a lot of scheduled race meetings have been cancelled, your best bet to see some riding on Saturday/ Sunday might be Apex, just of the M5 motorway near Worcester, they posted a pic on Instagram today... might have been yesterday and it looked good, they will be open and you might see some fast British Championship racers there but the real fast guys, Searle, Anstie, Simpson etc will be at the GP in Spain...

|

3/22/2018 3:58 PM

Great info; thanks! About 5 minutes from departing Houston now. Here's to maddening boredom for the next 9 hrs.... yea...

|

3/22/2018 5:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/22/2018 5:30 PM

Not racing events but there is the 'National Motor Museum' not so far- is in Hampshire/ Southampton Area- about 2 hours odd from London (depending what area you are in).
Some really cool cars and fantastic historical bikes in this museum https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/attractions/national-motor-museum/ It is a really super place/ day out and lovely area to visit. Sip some 'English Tea' and eat cakes on the lawn in incredible surroundings(and bad weather). haha... Joking aside, this place is a great day out and also has other attractions and facilities. From what I remember there is loads to see and do, its pretty big and well run.

Have a safe trip and enjoy your stay, whatever you plan to do!

|

Always was an excellent rider ...... at crashing usually

Moto Aspes, you know you want one

3/23/2018 11:33 AM

Since73 wrote:

Great info; thanks! About 5 minutes from departing Houston now. Here's to maddening boredom for the next 9 hrs.... yea...

No worries... Welcome to our little island, enjoy your stay smile

|

3/23/2018 11:49 AM

Since73 wrote:

When I look at www.acu.org.uk/events/, I see a mx at Guernsey and a Hare and Hound at Ash Down Farm, Upper Hill Barn, Didcot, Oxon (which sounds like five different places to me smile

Any of you Brits familiar with either place/event? I have no idea how one would get to Guernsey; seems more than a bit of trouble. If there are better options on Sunday, I might be able to take a later flight and attend something on the 25th (but maybe that web site only has events too far away?)

I really wouldnt bother with either if I were you. As Sidecar said Guernsey is tricky to get to (its basically off the coast of France) and I don't think it would be worth your while going all the way to Oxford (Oxon) for the Hare & Hounds. It will be very low-key, local event - not exactly a GNCC!

Funnily enough I almost suggested the National Motor museum too. Apex will be busy but you'll be looking at a 3hr drive from London just to watch people practice.

|

Jeff Emigs Keys to the Race:
1. Get a good start
2. Don't crash

3/23/2018 12:45 PM

Since73 wrote:

When I look at www.acu.org.uk/events/, I see a mx at Guernsey and a Hare and Hound at Ash Down Farm, Upper Hill Barn, Didcot, Oxon (which sounds like five different places to me smile

Any of you Brits familiar with either place/event? I have no idea how one would get to Guernsey; seems more than a bit of trouble. If there are better options on Sunday, I might be able to take a later flight and attend something on the 25th (but maybe that web site only has events too far away?)

jamma10 wrote:

I really wouldnt bother with either if I were you. As Sidecar said Guernsey is tricky to get to (its basically off the coast of France) and I don't think it would be worth your while going all the way to Oxford (Oxon) for the Hare & Hounds. It will be very low-key, local event - not exactly a GNCC!

Funnily enough I almost suggested the National Motor museum too. Apex will be busy but you'll be looking at a 3hr drive from London just to watch people practice.

Good shout Jamma... Apex is just practice, no racing there for years...
Are all the Top Gear TV cars still at the Beaulieu museum??? If your a fan of The Clarkson, May and Hammond glory years of the show you will see the Toyota pick up, the combine/snow plough, the floating VW camper, the stretched limos plus about 20-30 more Top Gear cars, it was 2-3 years ago that I went though, my son loved it!!!

|

3/23/2018 1:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/23/2018 1:52 PM

Not sure @Sidecar, the Top Gear Cars- probably so, there is so much stuff there, superb place really. It apparently takes about 4-5 Hours for an interested visitor to experience it and fully look around. Is also sort of set in some lovely grounds, seem to remember.
There is a full list of vehicles/ bikes here http://www.nationalmotormuseum.org.uk/?location_id=335&item=165&offset=0
have to kind of scroll down and click on stuff but can see there are loads of them and most of it all quite interesting and also at times unusual!

We went years ago, when it was smaller but still a super place and we even got to meet Lord Montagu(the owner I think) briefly, he got his car somehow caught on a wooden post whilst reversing and a group of us kind of lifted it off and sent him on his way! Was kind of funny for a such a car enthusiast/ boss/ car museum owner to have made a rookie mistake whilst reversing! Remember us and him laughing at the situation!

|

Always was an excellent rider ...... at crashing usually

Moto Aspes, you know you want one

3/30/2018 1:15 PM

OP... Did you find anything moto related on your trip??? You would not have been much better off here this weekend, weather is still really, really wet... our race today, Good Friday public holiday was cancelled, I’m hoping that the British Championship round at Culham in Oxfordshire runs on Sunday and my Dad has his 68 Cheney BSA entered in the Red Marley hill climb on Monday... That’s still on at this point...

|

3/30/2018 1:43 PM

Sidecar wrote:

OP... Did you find anything moto related on your trip??? You would not have been much better off here this weekend, weather is still really, really wet... our race today, Good Friday public holiday was cancelled, I’m hoping that the British Championship round at Culham in Oxfordshire runs on Sunday and my Dad has his 68 Cheney BSA entered in the Red Marley hill climb on Monday... That’s still on at this point...

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find anything that looked promising. So I went into "typical tourist" mode and walked around for 6-7 hours. With no vintage bike museum to be found, I settled on the Museum of Natural History and then did the standard walkabout in the Westminster area. I would have loved to have had my Honda MB5 with me for the day; the traffic and left-side driving would have kept me on my toes!



|

3/30/2018 11:50 PM

The natural history museum is pretty cool... If you get the chance to come over again, try and come May-September... Lots of moto and much better weather or warmer rain anyway!!!

|