Any KX125 experts?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/27/2018 12:57 PM

I picked up a 1999 kx125 recently for a Splitfire PC build, only to find that the cylinder is totally shot.

Im having a difficult time finding a new cylinder to replace it with -

my question is - the service manual groups 99-02 kx125's, but its my (limited) knowledge that the cylinder and pistons are NOT interchangeable. Is this the case? I have found a few bikes being parted out for sale that have 2002 cylinders. Simply put, can I replace my 99 cylinder jug with a 2002 cylinder, then install a '02 piston?

Really appreciate any expertise here!

|

9/27/2018 1:39 PM

When you say totally shot, how bad is it? Is it something that Millenium Technologies can’t repair and plate?

|

9/27/2018 3:20 PM

It seems to have already been replated once, and the studs are stripped, with 2 that have apparently been rethreaded (making oem studs not seal properly)

But thanks for the tip @newmann smile I did reach out to US Chrome, but not Millennium Tech. Ill see if they can help!

|

9/27/2018 5:27 PM

I had a 83 KX cylinder that looked as if it ate a 3/4" nut. Millennium fixed it better than new. The stock plating is crap compared to a Millenium replating anyway. If you plan on porting your bike, do it before its replated and have Tom Morgan do the work if you want the fastest 125 at the gate

|

9/27/2018 6:55 PM

MaxPower wrote:

I had a 83 KX cylinder that looked as if it ate a 3/4" nut. Millennium fixed it better than new. The stock plating is crap ...more

Is this tom morgan from kawasaki racing department in the 80's?

|

9/27/2018 7:32 PM

Millenium has repaired and or plated probably 30 cylinders for me at this point. Stripped threads, cracked skirts, sleeves, plating, plating on cast iron bores that are damaged at .080 over....never an issue with those guys. Never given me a reason to go elsewhere.

I'll be the first to say that the 99 KX125 could use some work. Had one, pretty mellow midrange motor from stock.

|

9/27/2018 11:29 PM

MaxPower wrote:

I had a 83 KX cylinder that looked as if it ate a 3/4" nut. Millennium fixed it better than new. The stock plating is crap ...more

barnett468 wrote:

Is this tom morgan from kawasaki racing department in the 80's?

Yes, Wardy’s mechanic in the late 80’s.
He did my CR250 and it rips. The amount of knowledge that guy has is ridiculous.

|

9/28/2018 5:00 AM

I had a similar problem a few years ago. The power valve on the 2000 is different from the 99. I had to find a used cylinder for a 99 on eBay. I believe 99 is a one year only power valve design.

|

9/28/2018 3:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/28/2018 3:37 PM

MaxPower wrote:

I had a 83 KX cylinder that looked as if it ate a 3/4" nut. Millennium fixed it better than new. The stock plating is crap ...more

barnett468 wrote:

Is this tom morgan from kawasaki racing department in the 80's?

omalley wrote:

Yes, Wardy’s mechanic in the late 80’s.
He did my CR250 and it rips. The amount of knowledge that guy has is ridiculous.

xlnt, i worked at kawi with him in the 80's and jeffs dad got me the loan for my house because he was a broker then. in fact, he got loans for several people at kawi with "creative financing", lol.

how can i contact tom?

thanks

|

9/30/2018 5:24 AM

|

10/4/2018 6:57 PM

I have may have one cmiles05@yahoo.com, by the way I picked 02 kx 125 built by Tom Morgan racing (which I knew nothing about) last month and it’s no joke! This theread helps explain it!

|