Air cooled kx500's worth messing with?

barnett468
12/28/2018 9:01am Edited Date/Time 12/28/2018 9:03am
riv187 wrote:
That's why there are berms and brakes...... brake slide and put it in a berm or rut. I was amazed when I saw Gary Lyle show...
That's why there are berms and brakes...... brake slide and put it in a berm or rut. I was amazed when I saw Gary Lyle show up at our VMX race about 5 years ago,,,riding a KX420. Those where known for changing directions like a barge....He was FAST....he was like modern speed fast on the KX420...SO it can fly if ridden right and tweaked correctly. If the 6BT wants to fix and race something different...go for it. Boat loads of money also describes other vmx bikes I own and fixed..Have you ever priced Maico parts? $200 connecting rod!? $200 piston? Ohlins $1300? ,,,Jazzing up a 78-80 CR250 with foxs,swingarm,43 forks or real simons/forx, cone pipe,reed cage, new trick kicker,,carb,bling bling washers and bolts..?!?! You can spend mucho dinero by time ones done.. They turn like slow in my book and the original moto-x-fox test said it too.. Pick your poison. I hope the KX500 gets restored raced and lives again.
"That's why there are berms and brakes......"

Yes, the brakes on it will slow one down enough so they might only sprain their wrist or tear the cartilage in their knee when they go flying over the berm cuz it still won't turn.

"I was amazed when I saw Gary Lyle show up at our VMX race about 5 years ago,,,riding a KX420. He was FAST....he was like modern speed fast on the KX420...SO it can fly if ridden right and tweaked correctly."

To clarify your statement, "It can fly if an ex top pro motocross rider (like Brad Lackey or Goat Breker) rides it.".

"Have you ever priced Maico parts?"

Yes, when I had to buy them for my 1974.5 GP 400 that I vintage raced and won the Western Regional AHRMA open expert class and over 40 expert class on in 1993.

"Ohlins $1300?"

I used Works Performance shocks which retailed for around $300.00

"Boat loads of money also describes other vmx bikes"

Yes, but at least when that money is spent on bikes that will turn, one will have a much better chance at beating somebody.

"I hope the KX500 gets restored raced and lives again."

Unfortunately, most people that dare to ride it probably won't live as long as the bike will.

"Those where known for changing directions like a barge...."

I rest my case...for now, lol.

12/28/2018 10:33am
6bt wrote:
A friend of mine just picked up an 83 kx500. Kinda rough, will definitely need some work and $$ to get it rideable. Doesn't look like...
A friend of mine just picked up an 83 kx500. Kinda rough, will definitely need some work and $$ to get it rideable. Doesn't look like parts are very common, nor did they get decent reviews when they were new. Heck I can't even find a recent one for sale in any condition.

Are they worth investing some money in, or dump it and stick with water-cooled ones?
If all else fails you could give lads these a shout. They import a lot of older MX bikes into the UK. They might take it off your mate.

Black Art Tuning

Unit 5C Barnfield Way,

Preston, Lancashire, PR2 5DB

Phone : 01772 394 150

Email : matt@blackarttuning.com
riv187
12/28/2018 1:37pm
riv187 wrote:
That's why there are berms and brakes...... brake slide and put it in a berm or rut. I was amazed when I saw Gary Lyle show...
That's why there are berms and brakes...... brake slide and put it in a berm or rut. I was amazed when I saw Gary Lyle show up at our VMX race about 5 years ago,,,riding a KX420. Those where known for changing directions like a barge....He was FAST....he was like modern speed fast on the KX420...SO it can fly if ridden right and tweaked correctly. If the 6BT wants to fix and race something different...go for it. Boat loads of money also describes other vmx bikes I own and fixed..Have you ever priced Maico parts? $200 connecting rod!? $200 piston? Ohlins $1300? ,,,Jazzing up a 78-80 CR250 with foxs,swingarm,43 forks or real simons/forx, cone pipe,reed cage, new trick kicker,,carb,bling bling washers and bolts..?!?! You can spend mucho dinero by time ones done.. They turn like slow in my book and the original moto-x-fox test said it too.. Pick your poison. I hope the KX500 gets restored raced and lives again.
barnett468 wrote:
"That's why there are berms and brakes......" Yes, the brakes on it will slow one down enough so they might only sprain their wrist or tear...

Yes, the brakes on it will slow one down enough so they might only sprain their wrist or tear the cartilage in their knee when they go flying over the berm cuz it still won't turn.

"I was amazed when I saw Gary Lyle show up at our VMX race about 5 years ago,,,riding a KX420. He was FAST....he was like modern speed fast on the KX420...SO it can fly if ridden right and tweaked correctly."

To clarify your statement, "It can fly if an ex top pro motocross rider (like Brad Lackey or Goat Breker) rides it.".

Yes, when I had to buy them for my 1974.5 GP 400 that I vintage raced and won the Western Regional AHRMA open expert class and over 40 expert class on in 1993.

"Ohlins $1300?"

Yes, but at least when that money is spent on bikes that will turn, one will have a much better chance at beating somebody.

Unfortunately, most people that dare to ride it probably won't live as long as the bike will.

Stop the hate! LOL Remember..When you see that short plain girl wearing simple cloths....She's someones sweetheart !....When you see that HOT long legged chick with flashy tight spandex and 3 hours of makeup...Some other guy out there is sick of her crap! Beauty is in eyes of beholder...LOL Somebody has to share a little love on the KX500.

The Shop

barnett468
12/28/2018 4:22pm Edited Date/Time 12/28/2018 4:26pm
riv187 wrote:
barnett468 wrote:
"That's why there are berms and brakes......" Yes, the brakes on it will slow one down enough so they might only sprain their wrist or tear...

"Ohlins $1300?"

riv187 wrote:
Stop the hate! LOL Remember..When you see that short plain girl wearing simple cloths....She's someones sweetheart !....When you see that HOT long legged chick with flashy...
Stop the hate! LOL Remember..When you see that short plain girl wearing simple cloths....She's someones sweetheart !....When you see that HOT long legged chick with flashy tight spandex and 3 hours of makeup...Some other guy out there is sick of her crap! Beauty is in eyes of beholder...LOL Somebody has to share a little love on the KX500.
"Stop the hate! LOL"

Sorry, I just couldn't hep myself cuz it was way too easy.

"When you see that short plain girl wearing simple cloths....She's someones sweetheart !"

Yeah and she's possibly mine cuz that's the way I like em....as long as they are skinny too!

" Beauty is in eyes of beholder...LOL"

Oh I never said it was aesthetically ugly, it just runs and handles ugly...like butt ugly!

"Somebody has to share a little love on the KX500."

Well I do love them, but the difference is that I love to hate them.

TTperra
12/29/2018 2:00am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I want one now.
Me too!
The more i hear its impossible, the more i want one to prove it can be tuned and turn'd :-)
sandman768
12/29/2018 4:29am
Depends what your end goal is.... Awesome garage queen...enjoy a challenge ..go for it.... Rider/racer.? Move on to what was good in that era....I enjoy restoring/rebuilding and finding parts for my old RM"s, fully realizing their short comings ....it's funny what peaks someone's interest....I had an 82 Cr480 that my brother picked up for me thinking I would want it....I had no interest in the bike....Now if it were an 83 I would have kept it....
riv187
12/29/2018 10:47am
I like taking a bike no one would think of,, like a rm125 in the open class stacked with Yamaha 465/CR480s/Can Am 400/Maico,,,and kicking there butts....makes all the haters that think I'm wrong for riding it ticked off. Here's me on a 125 doing exactly that... If the anyone has a extra KX500, leave it in my garage...
12/29/2018 3:24pm
I have no dog in this fight...but that pic of a Florida sand track cannot pass unnoticed... Smile

Post a reply to: Air cooled kx500's worth messing with?

The Latest