AMA Vintage Nationals in Mid Ohio

Wycked31
Edited Date/Time 6/8/2022 9:58am
Anyone every go? Is the moto track any fun? Can find really any videos. Was thinking to take a revolution 1 50+ and Revolution 2 40+
|
6/5/2022 10:38am
It is all hard clay that they disc up for practice, but then gets hard and dry. Last time I raced there in 2017 on my '86 CR250 I ran Dunlop MX33 and they worked well...but as the track dried out I would have preferred the hard terrain MX53. If it rains the clay is very slick and heavy. I hope that helps.
OldPro277
6/6/2022 11:17am Edited Date/Time 6/6/2022 11:29am
Wycked31 wrote:
Anyone every go? Is the moto track any fun? Can find really any videos. Was thinking to take a revolution 1 50+ and Revolution 2 40+
We've been going every year since 2016 (except 2020when it was cancelled.) It is without a doubt the most fun you'll have on a Vintage bike all year. We race approx 15 AHRMA events and a handful of others , and theyre all pretty good, but VMD is all of ours favorite event of the year. Saturday is the Vintage and Evolution ,Evolution 1 ( basically 79 and older) classes and Sunday is the "newer" bikes Evo 2 , Evo 3 and up to Revolution 1 and 2 classes (Pre-modern--NexGen--whatever term you want to use to describe those.) Those encompass roughly 1980- 2008 years, with some exceptions here and there.

The first couple of years we went , they had left the Saturday classes run basically on the grass track with very little prep, but in the past 3 years they'll till it up and water it nice for Saturday, and then Sunday make the jumps just a little bigger and rip/water the track deeper for Sundays races. Even a few years back when we got about 3" of rain overnite and the track was basically unrideable , the track crew went out spent an hour and a half and scraped a foot of mud off the track and re-ripped and made it a beautiful/tacky surface that was very fun to race.

As far as the track becoming hard-pack, I have to say that I have never experienced that at Mid-Ohio. Maybe late day on a hot/dry Sunday perhaps it has dried up a little for the modern classes , but all of my events are on Saturday and a early Sunday.

All in all, with all the forms of vintage racing -- the X Country, Moto , Road Racing and then of course the MASSIVE swap meet, and roughly 30,000 spectators/participants makes this an event you'll remember , and want to attend every year. Looks like quite a drive for you if you are actually coming from Florida, but believe me , you won't be the only Floridian that makes the drive. I've pitted next to guys from SoCal, Washington state, Colorado etc,etc.

Obviously---- I highly recommend the event --- go and have a blast---you'll be happy you did !!!!

Feel free to contact me with any other questions, I have learned a lot about do's and don't's regarding VMD

I wanted to add that if you are coming all that way for only one day of racing then maybe its not going to be the greatest of value . We race 2 classes in Fridays X-country events, a couple of classes on Saturday Moto and a couple on Sunday-- and we try to squeeze in watching some of the road racing events , and obviously strolling around the Swap meet multiple times is a must. One last thing, they have had a holeshot competition on Saturday evening which was mega-badass, last year they didn't which was a bit of a bummer, but maybe they'll bring it back. And they have a Pit-Bike race Saturday night too, for any lunatic that wants to get out there--- THAT gets more than a little nuts
Wycked31
6/6/2022 11:37am
Wycked31 wrote:
OldPro277 wrote:
We've been going every year since 2016 (except 2020when it was cancelled.) It is without a doubt the most fun you'll have on a Vintage bike...
We've been going every year since 2016 (except 2020when it was cancelled.) It is without a doubt the most fun you'll have on a Vintage bike all year. We race approx 15 AHRMA events and a handful of others , and theyre all pretty good, but VMD is all of ours favorite event of the year. Saturday is the Vintage and Evolution ,Evolution 1 ( basically 79 and older) classes and Sunday is the "newer" bikes Evo 2 , Evo 3 and up to Revolution 1 and 2 classes (Pre-modern--NexGen--whatever term you want to use to describe those.) Those encompass roughly 1980- 2008 years, with some exceptions here and there.

The first couple of years we went , they had left the Saturday classes run basically on the grass track with very little prep, but in the past 3 years they'll till it up and water it nice for Saturday, and then Sunday make the jumps just a little bigger and rip/water the track deeper for Sundays races. Even a few years back when we got about 3" of rain overnite and the track was basically unrideable , the track crew went out spent an hour and a half and scraped a foot of mud off the track and re-ripped and made it a beautiful/tacky surface that was very fun to race.

As far as the track becoming hard-pack, I have to say that I have never experienced that at Mid-Ohio. Maybe late day on a hot/dry Sunday perhaps it has dried up a little for the modern classes , but all of my events are on Saturday and a early Sunday.

All in all, with all the forms of vintage racing -- the X Country, Moto , Road Racing and then of course the MASSIVE swap meet, and roughly 30,000 spectators/participants makes this an event you'll remember , and want to attend every year. Looks like quite a drive for you if you are actually coming from Florida, but believe me , you won't be the only Floridian that makes the drive. I've pitted next to guys from SoCal, Washington state, Colorado etc,etc.

Obviously---- I highly recommend the event --- go and have a blast---you'll be happy you did !!!!

Feel free to contact me with any other questions, I have learned a lot about do's and don't's regarding VMD

I wanted to add that if you are coming all that way for only one day of racing then maybe its not going to be the greatest of value . We race 2 classes in Fridays X-country events, a couple of classes on Saturday Moto and a couple on Sunday-- and we try to squeeze in watching some of the road racing events , and obviously strolling around the Swap meet multiple times is a must. One last thing, they have had a holeshot competition on Saturday evening which was mega-badass, last year they didn't which was a bit of a bummer, but maybe they'll bring it back. And they have a Pit-Bike race Saturday night too, for any lunatic that wants to get out there--- THAT gets more than a little nuts
Thanks for the input. I am looking forward ripping around. Hope to see some great racing.
OldPro277
6/6/2022 1:00pm
Wycked31 wrote:
OldPro277 wrote:
We've been going every year since 2016 (except 2020when it was cancelled.) It is without a doubt the most fun you'll have on a Vintage bike...

Wycked31 wrote:
Thanks for the input. I am looking forward ripping around. Hope to see some great racing.
The other nice thing is that they use a real Pro-style quality gate which is brand new as of a couple of years back . No rubber bands or flags that you may run across at other Vintage events, as at some of the smaller Regional AHRMA events. And its very, very efficiently run. the days go pretty much without a hitch and everything is typically on time. Now that I've said that , this year will be a cluster-f*** LMAO !!!!

There are several videos on You-Tube of guys that have posted their Go-Pros at VMD over the years-- do a search , not all of them are of great quality , but should give you a pretty good idea of the track .

The Shop

Honda88L
6/6/2022 4:18pm
I have been going for 15 years or so. Track is good given the fact that it is a field all year besides that weekend. The Log Rod MI crew does a great job with what they have-a flat piece of land. Safe and fun for me always and I always laugh when people think it should be some national caliber track and complain. I don't think anyone mentioned this but bring a pit bike for everyone you have attend. I put 50 to 60 miles on mine every year and never leave the place. My favorite weekend of the year,
fatcat
6/6/2022 4:41pm
Honda88L wrote:
I have been going for 15 years or so. Track is good given the fact that it is a field all year besides that weekend. The...
I have been going for 15 years or so. Track is good given the fact that it is a field all year besides that weekend. The Log Rod MI crew does a great job with what they have-a flat piece of land. Safe and fun for me always and I always laugh when people think it should be some national caliber track and complain. I don't think anyone mentioned this but bring a pit bike for everyone you have attend. I put 50 to 60 miles on mine every year and never leave the place. My favorite weekend of the year,
I sure was a fan of your pit bike the year you pull started my flooded Maico minutes before the gate dropped ! Thanks again Bill.
Wycked31
6/6/2022 4:42pm
Honda88L wrote:
I have been going for 15 years or so. Track is good given the fact that it is a field all year besides that weekend. The...
Thanks for the input. Bringing the golf cart and electric mountain bikes to cruise around. We are not camping but staying about 10 minutes away. Not sure if they will let us leave our enclosed trailer in the camp area overnight. We will be coming in Friday afternoon and hope to drop the trailer. If they don’t let us drop in a spot we will just run around with it. Any generator restrictions?
fatcat
6/6/2022 6:32pm
Wycked31 wrote:
Thanks for the input. Bringing the golf cart and electric mountain bikes to cruise around. We are not camping but staying about 10 minutes away. Not...
Thanks for the input. Bringing the golf cart and electric mountain bikes to cruise around. We are not camping but staying about 10 minutes away. Not sure if they will let us leave our enclosed trailer in the camp area overnight. We will be coming in Friday afternoon and hope to drop the trailer. If they don’t let us drop in a spot we will just run around with it. Any generator restrictions?
Lots of folks drop their trailers overnight in the race parking areas, shouldn't be a problem. Not aware of any noise restrictions or curfew for generators.
Wycked31
6/6/2022 7:49pm
Wycked31 wrote:
Thanks for the input. Bringing the golf cart and electric mountain bikes to cruise around. We are not camping but staying about 10 minutes away. Not...
fatcat wrote:
Lots of folks drop their trailers overnight in the race parking areas, shouldn't be a problem. Not aware of any noise restrictions or curfew for generators.
Thanks for the heads up
OldPro277
6/7/2022 6:41am Edited Date/Time 6/7/2022 6:51am
Wycked31 wrote:
fatcat wrote:
If there are any noise restrictions they certainly don't enforce them, lol. The Saturday night party/ pit bike races utilizing the portable loudspeaker system have been known to last until the birds are chirping lol.. Brings me to another piece of advice--- if you need your sleep, do not pit on the lower side of the grass pits (furthest away from the starting gate) Thats where the party animals conduct their business. But since you aren't staying on the premises, kind of a moot point, but for future reference,

Fatcat is correct-- a lot of guys drop the trailer -set up their pits and come and go.

Honda88 -- Absolutely, those Log Road guys do an outstanding job-- I'm sure you remember the fantastic job they did getting the track ready after that all-night monsoon a few years ago.
And I'm not sure how I forgot to mention the necessity of the Pit bike. If you can't bring one ,they do rent golf carts for the weekend. But whichever way you go you definitely want some transportation---huge facility

38Special-- pit parking coming in on Sat or Sun could be an adventure. We have always gotten there on Thurs around noon when the gates open ,and even then we have had to sit in line out on the road for a couple of hours to get in. Granted , there is a possibility that you'll find an open slot where one of the "X-Country only" guys loaded up after Friday's races and left, but you will probably end up down in the party-zone-- which is fairly distant from the staging/gate/podium area. But its still worth the effort.

One other thing-- make sure you have your credentials printed and ready to present at the gate. I've had buddy's that were ill-prepared and had a real aggravating situation trying to get in.
Wycked31
6/7/2022 6:45am
Wycked31 wrote:
fatcat wrote:
OldPro277 wrote:
If there are any noise restrictions they certainly don't enforce them, lol. The Saturday night party/ pit bike races utilizing the portable loudspeaker system have been...
If there are any noise restrictions they certainly don't enforce them, lol. The Saturday night party/ pit bike races utilizing the portable loudspeaker system have been known to last until the birds are chirping lol.. Brings me to another piece of advice--- if you need your sleep, do not pit on the lower side of the grass pits (furthest away from the starting gate) Thats where the party animals conduct their business. But since you aren't staying on the premises, kind of a moot point, but for future reference,

Fatcat is correct-- a lot of guys drop the trailer -set up their pits and come and go.

Honda88 -- Absolutely, those Log Road guys do an outstanding job-- I'm sure you remember the fantastic job they did getting the track ready after that all-night monsoon a few years ago.
And I'm not sure how I forgot to mention the necessity of the Pit bike. If you can't bring one ,they do rent golf carts for the weekend. But whichever way you go you definitely want some transportation---huge facility

38Special-- pit parking coming in on Sat or Sun could be an adventure. We have always gotten there on Thurs around noon when the gates open ,and even then we have had to sit in line out on the road for a couple of hours to get in. Granted , there is a possibility that you'll find an open slot where one of the "X-Country only" guys loaded up after Friday's races and left, but you will probably end up down in the party-zone-- which is fairly distant from the staging/gate/podium area. But its still worth the effort.

One other thing-- make sure you have your credentials printed and ready to present at the gate. I've had buddy's that were ill-prepared and had a real aggravating situation trying to get in.
Thanks for the info. I was going to come in either Friday afternoon or Saturday am and drop my trailer. looking at the facility map, where is the starting gate for moto? I would like to park as close as possible.

Also can you tech the bikes at any time during the day or is it only in the mornings?
OldPro277
6/7/2022 7:06am
Tech is typically Thursady afternoon, Friday afternoon and 7-9 Sat and Sun mornings. Tech is at the front of the awards/podium " Hangar" which is also directly in front of the Registration trailer, all of which may be ,at most, 150'-200' from the staging/gate area. .All of the important Moto stuff is pretty much located all together. However, coming in that late on Friday or Saturday morning isn't going to get you very close to starting gate or staging unfortunately--unless you get incredibly lucky. However, if fuel keeps skyrocketing ,who knows what it will do to the turnout this year.
Wycked31
6/7/2022 7:09am
OldPro277 wrote:
Tech is typically Thursady afternoon, Friday afternoon and 7-9 Sat and Sun mornings. Tech is at the front of the awards/podium " Hangar" which is also...
Tech is typically Thursady afternoon, Friday afternoon and 7-9 Sat and Sun mornings. Tech is at the front of the awards/podium " Hangar" which is also directly in front of the Registration trailer, all of which may be ,at most, 150'-200' from the staging/gate area. .All of the important Moto stuff is pretty much located all together. However, coming in that late on Friday or Saturday morning isn't going to get you very close to starting gate or staging unfortunately--unless you get incredibly lucky. However, if fuel keeps skyrocketing ,who knows what it will do to the turnout this year.
Thanks. I hope to make it in Friday around 1pm. Tech the bikes and drop the trailer. And of course try to get close to staging.
Honda88L
6/7/2022 5:04pm
Honda88L wrote:
fatcat wrote:
I sure was a fan of your pit bike the year you pull started my flooded Maico minutes before the gate dropped ! Thanks again Bill.
Hah - that was Unadilla! It all kind of blends together doesn't it? See you soon my friend.
fatcat
6/7/2022 9:55pm
Honda88L wrote:
Hah - that was Unadilla! It all kind of blends together doesn't it? See you soon my friend.
TC 90 Prospector FTW !
Honda88L
6/8/2022 4:03am
Actually the trusty TC125 Prospector. That low range and rack on the back has pulled many open class bikes like I did yours to start over the years. My buddy likes to buy rollers at mid-ohio and I drag them back for him every time! It really is amazing how well that rack was made back in 72.

OldPro277
6/8/2022 10:52am
Tech has been a little bit stricter than some of the AHRMA events we've been to. One year, I was called out for having an alloy tank on my 78 RM --thinking I was trying to slip it into the Evo class as a 1976, but when they realized that I was running EVO 1 , all was well. I've seen them measure travel, etc. They are pretty knowledgeable, but not sure they'll catch your forks. I believe they keep a closer eye on the actual vintage and Evo bikes, because there can be a distinct advantage if you try to cheat with illegal mods on those machines. Not sure they care too much about the "modern" stuff. My feeling is they've only added those classes for the additional $$. -- Unless there is an obvious difference you're probably ok, unless someone protests you (which does happen ,but not very often) and since I'm not in your class, your secret is safe with me !! lol
Wycked31
6/8/2022 10:59am
OldPro277 wrote:
Tech has been a little bit stricter than some of the AHRMA events we've been to. One year, I was called out for having an alloy...
Tech has been a little bit stricter than some of the AHRMA events we've been to. One year, I was called out for having an alloy tank on my 78 RM --thinking I was trying to slip it into the Evo class as a 1976, but when they realized that I was running EVO 1 , all was well. I've seen them measure travel, etc. They are pretty knowledgeable, but not sure they'll catch your forks. I believe they keep a closer eye on the actual vintage and Evo bikes, because there can be a distinct advantage if you try to cheat with illegal mods on those machines. Not sure they care too much about the "modern" stuff. My feeling is they've only added those classes for the additional $$. -- Unless there is an obvious difference you're probably ok, unless someone protests you (which does happen ,but not very often) and since I'm not in your class, your secret is safe with me !! lol
Ha. Thanks
fatcat
6/8/2022 12:20pm
Honda88L wrote:
Actually the trusty TC125 Prospector. That low range and rack on the back has pulled many open class bikes like I did yours to start over...
Actually the trusty TC125 Prospector. That low range and rack on the back has pulled many open class bikes like I did yours to start over the years. My buddy likes to buy rollers at mid-ohio and I drag them back for him every time! It really is amazing how well that rack was made back in 72.

Ha ha, yes that Prospector is awesome and I love seeing it again !
MaxPower
6/8/2022 3:50pm
Before I went I had heard of this amazing swap meet. Perhaps it was me, but guys were putting high prices on absolute junk. I throw parts away in better condition than they were selling.
However it's a fun weekend hanging with old men and old bikes

Post a reply to: AMA Vintage Nationals in Mid Ohio

The Latest