AHRMA adds newer bikes for 2019

Mike 29
Edited Date/Time 12/3/2018 7:35pm
|
Rocky739
11/20/2018 2:02pm
They gotta do something, Bigger turnout at MX Rewind in the promoter classes for these bikes than for AHMRA classes. Didn't look to see if they implemented their 300 page rule book that makes all my bikes illegal. Did see something about number plate background colors... And they wonder why people don't race...
wfoskir
11/20/2018 7:46pm
Cant get past vintage here on the west coast.
Mike 29
11/20/2018 8:53pm
wfoskir wrote:
Agree completely, there has been a long term plan to ignore Post Vintage on the west coast. Last February I drove from Ohio to the AHMRA "National" at Perris, there were 5 entries, actually 3 people but I rode 3 classes. This will change, the board has a new focus and the next election in December is critical to move us forward.
11/21/2018 3:21am
Agree. The Unadilla promotor classes have been a massive success. Good to see this segment rolled out to other areas through AHRMA’s efforts. Kudos to AHRMA all be it painfully late.

Curious how AHRMA will find time to insert 10 additional classes into their vintage/PV race program. These are more classes than Unadilla’s promotor classes and Rewind needed Saturday first moto Sunday second to get through their Sunday PV/promotor program.

The Shop

Rocky739
11/21/2018 7:18am
ibpassngas wrote:
Agree. The Unadilla promotor classes have been a massive success. Good to see this segment rolled out to other areas through AHRMA’s efforts. Kudos to AHRMA...
Agree. The Unadilla promotor classes have been a massive success. Good to see this segment rolled out to other areas through AHRMA’s efforts. Kudos to AHRMA all be it painfully late.

Curious how AHRMA will find time to insert 10 additional classes into their vintage/PV race program. These are more classes than Unadilla’s promotor classes and Rewind needed Saturday first moto Sunday second to get through their Sunday PV/promotor program.
I thought unadilla's model was about perfect, not many rules, just bikes of a certain decade line up and go. Also agree about having a million classes, so everyone gets a trophy, sucks. I refuse to go to modern MX for that very reason, long day of waiting around to ride three or four laps per moto... Lets hope they combine some of the less popular classes. But seems some folks get upset if they feel its unfair to race their Zundawapahoo against somebody's Honsuziha cause they have a 1/2" more suspension travel or a special widget in the motor... If your bike isn't competitive, perhaps you chose poorly and since it's America you can buy a different one that is competitive (buying a Hodaka is a conscious decision). Anybody that whines has to start backwards in the gate.
My classes;
Adam and Eve: Any bike from about 1890 - 1973'ish
Getting warmer: 1974 - 1979
Darwin: 1980 - 1984
Super Dawin: 1985 - 1989
Not that bad: 1990 - 1999
Pretty much new: 2000- 2010
There you have it, five motos per day, full gates every start, slow guys get lapped, fast guys still win. Probably even have time to throw in some age classes. I'd love to see a GP event, with 30 - 40 min moto's or even a exhibition class that runs all the truly oddball bikes and riders that don't fit in. They could be the star of the show a bit more as I truly love seeing a true 60's bike and rider in period correct gear on the track.

11/21/2018 8:14am
I think I read AHRMA was going to split the race schedules so there will be certain events that are V/PV, certain events that will be PV/PM. The split depending on the track style as far as suitable for V or PM bikes. But I'm not 100% sure. I sent Fred G an email a week or so ago inquiring how the age group classes will work but haven't heard back yet. I guess they are still finalizing the details.
mark_swart
11/21/2018 1:55pm
We've had a lot of discussion on evolving class structure up here in our PNW VMX club. LOTS of pros and cons when you start bringing in additional bike years.

It's great AHMRA is supporting the 80s and 90s bikes, but it sort of escapes me why there would need to be a Next Gen and especially modern 2T bike divisions. Those bikes can run in modern racing and do just fine. It's just more classes to manage.

A lot of my thought process is driven by turnout and what you can squeeze into a day - our organization is still small enough to get through a race day with classes from the 1960s up to 96. Last season we had 84-ish possible classes on any given race day, usually run in 22-24 gates.

I guess if the events are split between days or are held separately it works, but I for one like seeing all of the different age bikes out there.

Then again... if you split events, you can have tracks that are more fun for the given years.

Have to say - it's not right that a 1986 KX is DQ'ed from racing other 86s because of the stupid disc. Or the 87 RM 125 that will have to compete against 97 CR 125s for the same reason, when in fact it can't even run with an 86 CR!

The structure will definitely continue to drive up prices of 86 Hondas, that's for sure.
11/22/2018 12:35am
If the org puts the screws to the promoter classes at 'Dilla, they may be shooting themselves in the foot. What's to keep the promoter from bailing on the org, and running their own deal ? People come to ride Unadilla ,not just to ride an AHRMA event.
wpark89
11/22/2018 8:12am
Kudos for adding some more modern vintage classes....but I think that’s too much of a stretch to try to include bikes all the way up to current. What’s historic or nostalgic about that?

I hate the complicated system of separating bikes of the same year. 1987s should race 87s regardless of what kind of rear brake they have just like they did back in 87.

There are a list of oversights and mistakes I see in the groupings.

For example they put KTMs together up to 2000 and then 01s in a different group with the PDS shock. Well the PDS came out in 98. So the actual cut off for KTMs should have been 97.

A 2000 Husqvarna 125 is Millennium bike but a 2000 RM 125 is Next Generation?

An 05 YZ races one class but an 06 goes in a different one because of the shock spring material?

Too much emphasis on details that don’t matter.

wfoskir
11/23/2018 8:35am
wfoskir wrote:
Mike 29 wrote:
Agree completely, there has been a long term plan to ignore Post Vintage on the west coast. Last February I drove from Ohio to the AHMRA...
Agree completely, there has been a long term plan to ignore Post Vintage on the west coast. Last February I drove from Ohio to the AHMRA "National" at Perris, there were 5 entries, actually 3 people but I rode 3 classes. This will change, the board has a new focus and the next election in December is critical to move us forward.
How is new election in December going to affect West Coast PV racing? It will take a complete regime change out here.

I have not raced an AHRMA event since 2005 and from what I know there are no PV classes running now out here. Out here I mean Nor Cal (center of the state). I know SoCal has races, but to far for me.

I entered my first AHRMA event in 2002 racing PV and just assumed the vintage and PV people were all friends, not the case. Not necessarily enemies, just the vintage guys didn't want us there, we ruined the tracks. Felt like an out cast at some of the events. I didn't stop racing because of this, I had other things in life that needed to be attended to. Now I wanted to go back to it and it doesn't exist. Sucks for me. I guess I should become a member again and vote.
Rocky739
11/23/2018 9:19am
wpark89 wrote:
Kudos for adding some more modern vintage classes....but I think that’s too much of a stretch to try to include bikes all the way up to...
Kudos for adding some more modern vintage classes....but I think that’s too much of a stretch to try to include bikes all the way up to current. What’s historic or nostalgic about that?

I hate the complicated system of separating bikes of the same year. 1987s should race 87s regardless of what kind of rear brake they have just like they did back in 87.

There are a list of oversights and mistakes I see in the groupings.

For example they put KTMs together up to 2000 and then 01s in a different group with the PDS shock. Well the PDS came out in 98. So the actual cut off for KTMs should have been 97.

A 2000 Husqvarna 125 is Millennium bike but a 2000 RM 125 is Next Generation?

An 05 YZ races one class but an 06 goes in a different one because of the shock spring material?

Too much emphasis on details that don’t matter.

That's the stupid 300 page rule book. I 100% agree that's it's way too convoluted. I don't think a ti shock spring or whatever is going to be a game changer and as you said in 86 we raced what was available, and if I remember correctly Hondas dominated pro and amatuer racing in 86 with it's rear drum brake versus the Kawi and it's disc... Run whatca brung and have fun would be a much better system.
wpark89
11/23/2018 9:46am
You could make as complicated and detailed formula as you’d like. I think the promoter classes at Unadilla did it right.

Do a Pre 89 group and a Pre 99 group.

If VMX wants to add support classes for modern 2 strokes...just make it one group from the 2000s to 2018. There is no need to separate 06 RM 250s and 2016 YZ 250s.

As was mentioned earlier lots of the old vintage guys all ready frown upon 1986 watercooled, powervalve mx bikes at the events.

I do some PNW events but never AHRMA. To be honest I think the PNW group does a good job and there are more opportunities to race than most people will follow. There are a few like Boise and Washougal that get good turnouts. Plus we did the Revolution Triple Crown this year which piggybacked some late 80s/90s classes at 3 modern races.

Like Mark said, if an good event was organized people will come. I would have liked to ride Rattlers Run here in Eastern WA but I understood it was strictly vintage. If there could be a day of like that for post vintage bikes I’d be there.
Moto Mofo
11/23/2018 6:57pm
It’s great to see that AHRMA is finally starting to evolve, but i agree that they way they split the bikes up doesn’t make a lot of sense. Can’t race a ‘98 CR125 against an ‘01 YZ125? Wtf? It would make way more sense to split it up by decade or year, like they do at VMXdN and other events overseas.

It also looks like Next Gen bikes have to run white backgrounds/black numbers, while the rest of the classes make no mention of number plate colors. Not sure what the point of that is. I’m old school, I want black backgrounds on my 125 and yellow backgrounds on my 500.
Mike 29
11/27/2018 7:37pm
So lots of good comments and feedback. The true positive is that the board of trustees now understand the need for AHMRA off road to move forward as road racing has. There is no option in any AHRMA discipline to not continue the full support of the premier and classic mx bikes. Just an honest understanding that people who are in their late 30's and 40's think 1990 is vintage, at least to them. And they are correct, most of us are riding bike from our youth, if you were 18 and bought a new Honda CR125 in 1974 you are now 62 years old. So a 40 year old has the same affection for the bike he had at 18 thinks his 1996 CR250 is vintage, and to him it is.

Lots of details to work out but I see this as a step in the right direction.
bultokid
11/28/2018 4:46pm
Mike 29 wrote:
So lots of good comments and feedback. The true positive is that the board of trustees now understand the need for AHMRA off road to move...
So lots of good comments and feedback. The true positive is that the board of trustees now understand the need for AHMRA off road to move forward as road racing has. There is no option in any AHRMA discipline to not continue the full support of the premier and classic mx bikes. Just an honest understanding that people who are in their late 30's and 40's think 1990 is vintage, at least to them. And they are correct, most of us are riding bike from our youth, if you were 18 and bought a new Honda CR125 in 1974 you are now 62 years old. So a 40 year old has the same affection for the bike he had at 18 thinks his 1996 CR250 is vintage, and to him it is.

Lots of details to work out but I see this as a step in the right direction.
Dead on, it's what some refuse to accept
Rocky739
11/28/2018 5:16pm
Agree with the above comments. Although I grew up with my older brother racing in the 70's and i truly love all motorcycles it's the bikes of my youth about 78-90, that period where you begged your mom to go to the store so you could buy all the magazines the day they came out and after reading it ten times you cut out the pictures and taped it up on your wall.
Unfortunately the older generation is ageing out of racing and the bikes of the early years are becoming cost prohibitive to race.
I like post vintage for the fact you don't have to buy a 10,000 bike to be competitive like modern mx. And NO MINIBIKES. lol.
I'd just like to see AHMRA take this opportunity to simplify the rules and make it fun for us kids.

Post a reply to: AHRMA adds newer bikes for 2019

The Latest