93 cr250 restomod or retromod?

Bimotofab
11/25/2016 12:05am Edited Date/Time 11/25/2016 12:05am
93 cr250 restomod project

Here is what I am starting with

Yes the triple clamps are spray painted blue...

Missing a pipe, silencer, radiators and plastics, everything else seems there, 2 sets of forks, black rear 19 inch wheel and a box of random parts, some that don't go with the bike. Not sure what direction to go, already did a mcgrath replica bike, so maybe a restomod with a fork swap, who knows, gotta blast the frame and make sure there are no cracks or split welds, engine will need a rebuild, possibly a sleeve, but I like projects like this, it's basically a blank canvas.

Cheers Mason
|
Schwanz22
11/25/2016 8:03am
I did a Restomod on my 93, I have the stock graphics as well as the McGrath 94 graphics (haven't put them on yet) but have modern wheels and 08 crf forks with bigger brakes from and rear. Should make it a better rider
Bimotofab
11/25/2016 8:57am
Ya I am thinking a fork swap to modern forks, rear shock upgrade, newer 21"/19" wheels, better brakes and maybe aluminum subframe, but paint the frame the orange from 86/87 and run 86/87 tank and plastics, blue seat cover as well
MaxPower
11/25/2016 7:15pm
That would be trick if you could get everything to line up and not looked pieced together
Bimotofab
11/25/2016 9:57pm
MaxPower wrote:
That would be trick if you could get everything to line up and not looked pieced together
With enough fabrication anything is possible...

The Shop

Bimotofab
11/29/2016 5:28pm
Finally got around to sorting parts to see what's what, looks pretty complete. Rear hub and linkage maybe wrong but not a hard fix, need pipe, silencer and radiators but I think I'm gonna go with a 86/87 tank and plastics so I'll probably have to remount the radiators anyway so everything lines up, also considering an aluminum subframe...

Anyway I got it assembled in to roller so it takes up less space. I suppose it's time to order a flash orange tank and build the rest around that!

Cheers!

Bimotofab
12/2/2016 6:56pm
Progress despite cold weather
Here are all the above pieces assembled, the linkage included was wrong so I looked on eBay and people wanted 179 bucks... But I stumbled across one on Craigslist with a rear shock for 50 bucks.

Tank spray painted along with pretty much everything else

Blue spray paint, top clamp is billet. I bought a huge container of paint stripper

Rear hub and wheel are unknown, but they don't fit the bike properly, wheel is a black warp 9 that I will save for another project.

Iron sleeve, stock bore, pro x piston, bottom end looks good

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn20/bimotofab/Mobile%20Uploads/20161130_093249_zps1xmjowan.jpg[/IMG]

Spray paint everywhere

Reeds are missing

Time for a new top end

Cleaned up the casting marks on the cylinder, gonna blast it and spray the engine black to fit the 86 - 87 look

Cylinder cleaned up nice after a quick hone

Here's a little secret for powervalve cleaning...
This is after I hit the powervalve bore with a flex hone 12 gauge shotgun hone.

It's the perfect size for cleaning the carbon out of the powervalve bore.

Made for firearms, I originally bought it for cleaning lifter bores in small block chevy engines... I think it was like 20 bucks on amazon.

That's it's for today, tore down the whole bike, all the black and blue paint comes off next then blasted.

I ordered an 86 tank and shrouds to fab up mounts and placement for the radiators to fit 86 tank, seat, plastics and maybe seat, I will probably have to fab my own custom subframe.

Cheers Mason
wacker
12/3/2016 6:21pm
I have an almost brand new set of wheels from a 94 I would like to part with if you are interested. Stock hubs with, powder-coated satin black with all new bearings and built up with moose rims and Pirelli tires. I rode them once to break the bike in and ended up building another set to have a 19" rear. They have just been sitting around since. If you're interested I can try to grab some pics tomorrow.
Bimotofab
12/3/2016 6:25pm
wacker wrote:
I have an almost brand new set of wheels from a 94 I would like to part with if you are interested. Stock hubs with, powder-coated...
I have an almost brand new set of wheels from a 94 I would like to part with if you are interested. Stock hubs with, powder-coated satin black with all new bearings and built up with moose rims and Pirelli tires. I rode them once to break the bike in and ended up building another set to have a 19" rear. They have just been sitting around since. If you're interested I can try to grab some pics tomorrow.
Ya shoot me pics

Bimotofab@gmail.com
Bimotofab
12/3/2016 10:09pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2016 10:10pm
My 86 cr250 tank showed up fast, and man is it nasty! Haha this is what 20 bucks gets you on eBay and free shipping! But it came with the cap, the peacock, and the two tank stays, it had an xtreme sticker and some remnants of a no fear sticker on it and those had prevented the sun and chemicals from eating the plastic under the sticker so it was kind of like branded, hard to explain, here is what it looked like when I unwrapped it.

here is after I restored it, took about an hour

I also stripped most of the black paint off the frame, subframe, swing arm and removed the blue paint from the triple clamps, top is a nice billet piece. If anyone wants 93 cr250 forks and triple clamps let me know, I will make you a sweet deal, I have 2 sets, one stock triples, one with a stock bottom and billet top, I am upgrading.

Cheers
Bimotofab
12/4/2016 12:01pm
Here is the stripping I did yesterday, whoever painted it black used a decent primer under it, but they still managed to paint over the dirty white paint... this was 2 rounds, it got too cold and dark for a 3rd so I will be sand blasting the rest off

The triple clamp cleaned up nice in one round, I'll polish the billet top but won't be using it

Bimotofab
12/6/2016 8:02pm
Shrouds showed up so, some loose mock up with the tank and some radiators I had laying around, looks like it should work just need new mounting points for radiators and tank

Kidkawie
12/7/2016 6:17am
I'd buy something with blown cases before a running bike covered in spray paint. Power to ya man. Last thing I removed paint from was an air cooled 4 banger, took a week of solid cleaning. Never again.

Cool project though.
Bimotofab
12/7/2016 7:34am
Kidkawie wrote:
I'd buy something with blown cases before a running bike covered in spray paint. Power to ya man. Last thing I removed paint from was an...
I'd buy something with blown cases before a running bike covered in spray paint. Power to ya man. Last thing I removed paint from was an air cooled 4 banger, took a week of solid cleaning. Never again.

Cool project though.
Ha ha removing paint is easy and cheap and I get to pick the new color so not a bad deal
wacker
12/9/2016 6:03pm
Sorry it took a little longer. I forgot my storage key the other day when I went to snag pics. But, here they are. They are a bit dusty from siting in storage for about a year and a half but they are in perfect condition. That is the original rear tire that was on the wheelset when it was built, so you can see they don't have much time. I've got a decent amount of $ into them, but they are just collecting dust so if you are interested make me an offer I can't refuse.

Bimotofab
12/9/2016 10:03pm
wacker wrote:
Sorry it took a little longer. I forgot my storage key the other day when I went to snag pics. But, here they are. They are...
Sorry it took a little longer. I forgot my storage key the other day when I went to snag pics. But, here they are. They are a bit dusty from siting in storage for about a year and a half but they are in perfect condition. That is the original rear tire that was on the wheelset when it was built, so you can see they don't have much time. I've got a decent amount of $ into them, but they are just collecting dust so if you are interested make me an offer I can't refuse.

Hmm those look really nice, what won't you refuse?
EatMyDust
12/17/2016 2:46pm
McGrath said the 93 cr250 was the best bike he ever had. Never got to ride one myself , 87 cr500 was the last mx bike I rode
Bimotofab
12/22/2016 4:55pm
So I have been busy with street bike rehab stuff and painting and vehicle maintenance yadda yadda yadda

Anyway I got some parts for my 93 cr 250 today... Haha

Young kid needed money and I almost felt bad about the deal I got. He even said it had a brand new carbonator... Which will work well on the cr engine, as well as a fork swap so I get modern technology and the traditional old school look, plus a clean title for future use and some black rims for another project and don't worry the 125 engine will go into a spec racer project that will be a loaner for friends who want to dice it up in the beginner track, so pretty much a bunch of Frankenstein monster projects.
12/23/2016 10:27pm
Bimotofab wrote:
Here is the stripping I did yesterday, whoever painted it black used a decent primer under it, but they still managed to paint over the dirty...
Here is the stripping I did yesterday, whoever painted it black used a decent primer under it, but they still managed to paint over the dirty white paint... this was 2 rounds, it got too cold and dark for a 3rd so I will be sand blasting the rest off

The triple clamp cleaned up nice in one round, I'll polish the billet top but won't be using it

Do you still have the billet top clamp?
Bimotofab
12/24/2016 8:37am
Bimotofab wrote:
Here is the stripping I did yesterday, whoever painted it black used a decent primer under it, but they still managed to paint over the dirty...

Do you still have the billet top clamp?
I sold the whole front end, I have a stock set of triples and forks left, that's it
Bimotofab
1/6/2017 1:19am
Trying to make some progress tomorrow
Racerx930
1/6/2017 9:46am
I have a good used fmf pipe if you need it.
SLOWTIME
1/6/2017 11:25am
wacker wrote:
Sorry it took a little longer. I forgot my storage key the other day when I went to snag pics. But, here they are. They are...

Do you still have the wheels for sale?
Bimotofab
1/9/2017 10:26pm
Racerx930 wrote:
I have a good used fmf pipe if you need it.
I snagged a cheapo fmf pipe off eBay since this will be ridden and no doubt see some abuse, but thanks for the offer

Post a reply to: 93 cr250 restomod or retromod?

The Latest