93-95 YZ Wheel Question

scottt89
Edited Date/Time 10/1/2019 1:59pm
I'm the second maybe third owner of a 94 YZ250, judging by the buddy I got it from years ago and his maintenance tendencies I assumed everything was stock, but per RMATV I may be incorrect. He wasn't the kind to put $ in aftermarket parts. I've had this thing disassembled for 10years and it's been my project to get it going in the last few months, but I noticed my spokes had seen better days. Having an old white bros set laying around for a front wheel I never did on my old 99 YZ I was able to use those and lace the front without issue. For the rear I headed to RMATV to get a set of Tusk oem replacement spokes. Upon trying to lace them I discovered that the spoke nipples were too large for the rim holes. The rim is stamped Takasago J 19x2.15 225 389. Now I know the current and slightly older YZ's are Takasago so I assumed when ordered a Tusk kit for a 94 YZ250 that I had OEM. However, they are telling me that Takasago didn't become Yamaha OEM until 02. I just don't think that is correct.

Am I the one who is incorrect in thinking my wheels are indeed OEM? They have been great on working with me to get this situated so this is not a slight on RMATV customer service. If anyone out there with that generation bike has a rear rim laying around or is about to do a tire swap, can you confirm if your wheel is a Takasago or what size nipples I should tell them I need? I'd like to avoid heading to the drill and file if possible.
|
sandman768
10/1/2019 10:35am
Here is my original low hr 93YZ250 rear rim....a 6mm spoke wrench fits the nipples if that helps..it is a Takasago rim
10/1/2019 1:59pm
The takasago excel rims became oem in 02 you have a takasago rim but not the excel version.
scottt89
10/8/2019 8:42pm
Thanks for the info guys. I went with the kit recommended by excel for the wheel and stock hub. Unfortunately the nipple fits further through than the Tusk kit but not enough to slide completely in. I'm just seeing the post now...figures. I may just try to file a slight bit and see if I can make it usable.

Post a reply to: 93-95 YZ Wheel Question

The Latest