92 CR250 - Close to a lost cause

Anaxdlere
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2016 8:23am
I enjoy picking up Craigslist finds and doing moderate work on them in order to bring them back to life and into the moto world. Got 2 bikes as a package - '04 KX125 (needs work) and a 92 CR250. The CR was rough... and I mean ROUGH! Gas tank rattle canned with major overspray on everything.

I went ahead and started tearing it apart, found the cylinder is shot and the extra cylinder is waaaay overbored so much that there are no pistons that would fit unless I did more cylinder work. Debating on which cylinder to tackle, but in the mean time, sent the frame off to powder coat a fresh white and start the grueling task of trying to get rattle can off all of the parts.

I will post a few other pictures along the way but going to be a long, hard road for this build.

|
notme
3/5/2015 4:22pm
Hopefully its a worthy rebuild for you, some bikes are just too far gone and not worth it.

Your in the right place for info on this bike, its pretty much all here.

Tip; I always powerwash & degrease the living shit out of the bikes before the teardown. Just makes life easier. The current rm125 Im building was spray bombed too, the powerwasher/degreaser took care of at least half of it!
Anaxdlere
3/5/2015 5:38pm
This one will probably be right at the not worth it mark, but ah well, I will go ahead and work on it to hopefully at least get it in pretty decent shape and see how far I want to take it. Very good tip! I should have power washed/degreased it while it was somewhat together. I will do that with the 125 at least Smile

I am sure I will be scouring Vital posts and asking for some tips along the way.
reded
3/5/2015 7:14pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 7:19pm
That bike, clean, would actually look better than my last project when I started. Don't get in a hurry, take your time and build as your budget allows. There are a lot of low time, clean parts on eBay if you have the time to scour it everyday.
reded
3/5/2015 7:20pm
Most bolts can be made to look new again simply by chucking them up in a drill and buffing them with scotchbrite followed by steel wool.

The Shop

MaxPower
3/5/2015 7:31pm
Nothing a can of flat black spay paint and a set of Pre prints with the number 420 couldn't fix. Hell, you don't even need to waste money on tires for that
450exc115
3/5/2015 7:32pm
92 is a good year for the CRs. Light and agile with a great motor. I always wanted a 92 or a 93 back in the day. If I had one now the only thing I would do find a 04 or newer set of forks to put on.
EL Sammo
3/5/2015 10:50pm
Spray painting the hell out of everything while still on the bike seems to be a worldwide phenomenon.
Anaxdlere
3/6/2015 6:35am
Bought a few boxes of SOS pads, some steel wool and handfuls of Scotch Brite (and some Acetone) to start the scrubbing process while the frame and subframe are being powder coated. Hard to say how many years the rattle can spray has been baking on these parts so I will work on them as time allows before looking for some fleaBay parts. Will upload some pics this weekend of the progress!
dogger315
3/6/2015 8:23am
Anaxdlere wrote:
This one will probably be right at the not worth it mark, but ah well, I will go ahead and work on it to hopefully at...
This one will probably be right at the not worth it mark, but ah well, I will go ahead and work on it to hopefully at least get it in pretty decent shape and see how far I want to take it. Very good tip! I should have power washed/degreased it while it was somewhat together. I will do that with the 125 at least Smile

I am sure I will be scouring Vital posts and asking for some tips along the way.
Looks like a decent project. Don't be discouraged with the sorry state of the bike now, I've started with worse. As long as the
frame is straight and you have or have access to the parts you need, are willing to put in the time and effort and have a
realistic budget, you should be able to save another iconic CR from the scrapper.

It's a little late now, but I always tell folks to take a lot of pictures of the bike before they tear 'em down so you know how it goes
back together. I see you already have a Honda service manual. Many of the parts are still available, many are not. The best
source for replacement plastic is UFO, they are the only ones that still make the florescent Red, though it's the "93 florescent
Red. EVO MX sells a nice copy of the seat cover. Best way to get that overspray off of things like your upper fork tubes is
aerosol brake cleaner and a rag. Reded had a good tip on restoring some of the hardware. I don't recommend doing that for
critical bolts like engine mounts, handlebar mount, brake calipers, etc. for safety sake. Pretty much all the hardware is still
available from Honda and since we're talking OE steel bolts, it's not like they cost that much. Clarke makes a nice White
replacement fuel tank but you're going to have to spend some time restoring the airbox. The White airboxes are iconic for
the 92-95 CRs and new ones are long gone.

As for the cylinder, best stock cylinders for the CRs are 2001, 2000, 1995 and 1999 in that order. If you decide to use anything
other than a 92-96, you will need to change from a dome to flat top piston and have cylinder head work done to compensate. If
you don't want to mess with another cylinder, you can have the two you have now resleeved with Aluminum sleeves and then
NIKASIL plated to bring them back to good as new condition. Doing that will allow you to use OE Honda pistons which are
really good.

I've been restoring a '93 CR250 to showroom off and on for the last two years and I'm surprised at all the parts that have
become obsolete. This means you will have to spend some time on Craigs list, Ebay and the like looking for good used parts.

The '92 CR250 is a worthy resto candidate. Take your time and enjoy the journey.

dogger

3/6/2015 3:38pm
Soda blasting works great for taking off the paint, gets a bit dusty but does a great job and its quick and easy. As long as the heads are good on the bolts, I just give them a quick brush with a wire brush if there is any dirt still on them and then send them off for re-plating. They come back looking like new.
dogger315
3/8/2015 9:26am
Good to see you here Dogger! Awesome advice as always!
Thanks barkhard. You know I'll always have a soft spot for the steelies.

dogger

mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
3/8/2015 5:08pm
Ronnie Mac would ride it like it is. Especially with that hacksawed front fender. Every bike needs a hacksawed fender.
Anaxdlere
3/9/2015 4:32pm
Thanks for all the tips. I am going to start on the gas tank and some of the oversprayed parts this week while the cylinder(s) are off getting looked at and possibly re-plated. I just got the frame and subframe back from powder coating and wow, looks great!

dogger315
3/10/2015 9:24am
Those two turned out nice. Make sure you scrape the powder off of the coil mounts, engine mounts and anywhere else
something has to be grounded or torqued. Here's a couple of pictures of a brand new just out of the box '93 CR250 frame.
You can see all the mounting points Honda masked before painting.

dogger

Lane-O103
3/10/2015 10:17am
Anaxdlere wrote:
I enjoy picking up Craigslist finds and doing moderate work on them in order to bring them back to life and into the moto world. Got...
I enjoy picking up Craigslist finds and doing moderate work on them in order to bring them back to life and into the moto world. Got 2 bikes as a package - '04 KX125 (needs work) and a 92 CR250. The CR was rough... and I mean ROUGH! Gas tank rattle canned with major overspray on everything.

I went ahead and started tearing it apart, found the cylinder is shot and the extra cylinder is waaaay overbored so much that there are no pistons that would fit unless I did more cylinder work. Debating on which cylinder to tackle, but in the mean time, sent the frame off to powder coat a fresh white and start the grueling task of trying to get rattle can off all of the parts.

I will post a few other pictures along the way but going to be a long, hard road for this build.

I saw the Cr and figured it was from a Missouri Craigslist Ad lol. Theres a TON of bike in rough condition. I found a Ktm this morning for $350 if things work out I may just go buy it. But congrats on the find! Love 90's CRs!
Anaxdlere
3/10/2015 10:47am
dogger315 wrote:
Those two turned out nice. Make sure you scrape the powder off of the coil mounts, engine mounts and anywhere else something has to be grounded...
Those two turned out nice. Make sure you scrape the powder off of the coil mounts, engine mounts and anywhere else
something has to be grounded or torqued. Here's a couple of pictures of a brand new just out of the box '93 CR250 frame.
You can see all the mounting points Honda masked before painting.

dogger

Outstanding. Thank you for the info! I found a discontinued set of Acerbis side panels that were the nuclear red (alas, not the pinkish red for the year), so grabbing the same fenders (will be a shame to lose the Ronne Mac front fender!!) and will hope that the UFO shrouds match in color.

@Lane-O103 Isn't that the truth! St. Louis and the surrounding area Craigslist ads seem to be where many good bikes go to die! I have gotten some diamonds in the rough there but plenty of rough to choose from.
Anaxdlere
3/25/2015 2:18pm
Started taking the lower apart to soda blast and make sure the internals were solid. Pics to come. I just ordered another gas tank off fleabay that is in better shape than this one. Apparently under this white spray paint was some form of blue that may have started its life as a decal?? It is stained way down into the plastic, so I will continue sanding while waiting for the new(er) tank to get here and have 2 to choose from. Acetone is doing a great job at getting overspray off the hard bits, just requires patience.

Also found some original 92 Acerbis side panels at a great price (they even have the original decal to go with). I will likely get the Acerbis front and rear fender since these are already aftermarket ones on it and go with the UFO shrouds.

(only using the tank from this and possibly shrouds if they clean up)

Anaxdlere
3/25/2015 7:14pm
Any tips on getting the rattle can overspray off the air cleaner boot and the master cylinder?

barkhard696
3/26/2015 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 3/26/2015 4:45pm
Acerbis does a great job of recreating the Nuclear Red -- closer even than UFO and certainly lighter than the front fenders Honda sells. Here's one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191541866449?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPag…

The Clarke tank is slightly off-white but it's not noticeable with all the nuclear red on the 92-94.

IMHO these are the best looking bikes Honda ever made, exceptionally engineered, easy to maintain and with high-quality components. I have restored bikes of all four makes (five, if you count my 200SX project), and my experience is that NOTHING can touch Honda quality. It took the other brands a decade and more to catch up in terms of component quality.

These bikes are a huge part of moto history. All you have to do is look at all the steelie builds and there is virtually nothing on similar years' Suzukis, Yamahas and Kawies (excepting the Pro Circuit/Splitfire replicas).

There's Dogger's '93 build on the All Things Moto site, and Col's 1996 McGrath replica build here on Vital. Read together, these will tell you *everything* you will ever need to know about building these bikes.

There are a surprising number of newer parts that not only interchange or can be readily made to work on the 92-96 steelies, you also get the advantage of easily available parts, better performance and lighter weight -- and you won't have to invest a lot of time in restoring worn out components. Clean and re-zinc the odd fasteners. Dogger has a great point, it's a good idea that stressed parts like the linkage bolts, engine mount bolts, etc. should be replaced for safety.

Personally I would never trade my '93 or '95 for anything. Once you've built yours, you'll likely end up feeling the same.
Anaxdlere
3/26/2015 7:22pm
Great info. Thank you very much! I will pick up the Acerbis fenders and keep my eyes open for some hidden away acerbis shrouds. I will take a look at these other builds and look for some tips and post the progress here.
barkhard696
3/26/2015 9:40pm
Cool! Looks like you got the fender.

The older Acerbis fenders are pre-drilled (not always the case with UFO), and seem just a hair lighter in shade than the UFO.

I have an NOS OEM '95 rear fender on my '93, and the front fender Honda is selling as "Nuclear Red" on the front, but plan on putting Acerbis fenders on, front and rear .. Looks like they will be closer to the shrouds and side numberplates, which I was lucky enough to find as take-offs on eBay -- paid $150 for the entire set, in the Honda bags no less. That was a great score.

Other details are easier to find than you might think.

TAG's rear sprocket is pretty much a direct copy of the Renthal Team Honda sprockets of this era (pretty much? Actually they ARE complete copies), and run in the ~$70 range:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAG-METALS-REAR-SPROCKET-50-T-WORKS-HONDA-CR-CR…

You can find high-polishedRenthal bars on eBay easily if you search "Honda CR handlebar Renthal" and sort by price -- the older hi-polished ones will generally be used and in the ~$55 range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381177559573

You can tell this is one from the early 90s because it has Renthal's product numbers stamped on the clutch side. The "cloth" (actually, drip-dry Rayon) covers on bars that make it from these years are dingy, but clean up quite well with a lot of soaking and stain remover if you carefully look over to see if no scratches or tears before buying. The bars themselves can be readily restored (you generally just need to polish them back to remove the wear).

Here are pretty good reproductions of the team swingarm decals:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121387038974?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPag…

The late-model Ti YZ/YZ-F footpegs are readily available and cheap! It's a well-known "secret" they interchange

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161616954472?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPag…

That should get you started! I've seen late-model CRF combined rear master cylinder/reservoir swaps. Look into that and you may be able to avoid the whole mess of dealing with cleaning and restoring your rear M/S, the reservoir and associated plumbing -- saving weight, too.
Anaxdlere
4/8/2015 11:14am
new Acerbis front and rear fender arrived, as well as the repro decals for the shrouds. Still working on cleaning/buffing the tank and the shrouds that I got off eBay with the tank (they are OEM). I did see a NOS cylinder and piston kit if the one I have can't be repaired. Still hunting for the airbox while I try to get the white spray paint off this one (SUPER slow process)

MX90sguy753
4/8/2015 4:11pm
Coming along dude I'm also restoreing a 92 cr 250 I got it about 3 years ago and just starting it. I just got a new bottom end kit and oem Honda top end kit for it. My goal is a 92 Jeff Stanton replica bike that was the frist poster in my room when I was a kid. Jeff is the man hardworking and give it everything to beat Bradshaw and JMB for that # one plate.
MaxPower
4/8/2015 5:54pm
I love seeing bikes that are basically scrap metal brought back and ridden as they were built to do.
4/8/2015 6:57pm
A soda blaster used very lightly might get the paint off that airbox. I would be scared to use chemicals for fear of hurting the rubber.

Post a reply to: 92 CR250 - Close to a lost cause

The Latest