88 RM 125 Build - A Craigslist Gem you won't want to miss this!!

mark_swart
Edited Date/Time 5/17/2016 4:22pm
I've been looking for another mid 80s project, and this one popped up closeby and ended up in my garage for about half of that the guy was asking for it. No dirt bike deserves to be humiliated like this poor thing was.

I think you'll all agree it's pretty amazing. And the spray painting... they were thorough. They took off all of the plastic painted it front and back. Lucky me. It's actually stripping off okay and I think be able to save the side panels and rear fender. Tank is yellow again now after an hour of citrus strip followed by coarse steel wool.

When I dissected the engine, the oil was milky and the ring was stuck. So I'm guessing the water pump seal went out, the coolant went into the oil, and then it overheated and seized. But for as ugly as it is, the bike is actually complete and the bottom end bearings are tight. My goal is to have her running by fall and then race our winter series on it. I'll have to summon my inner Eric Kehoe to try and keep that thing on the pipe.

Did anyone have one of this model? Any tips on mods would be appreciated, from what I remember it was supposed to have been very weak on the bottom and really only pulled on the top.

Yep, you're eyes are not deceiving you. They painted the fork tubes. The. Whole. Tube.

Maybe the previous owner had very big feet? That would explain why they welded on a foot long shifter. I've already hacksawed it off, found a replacement shaft on ebay for $16. No worries...

Hey, who needs a kick starter when you can just jam a socket on there. I'm trying to picture the drug induced logic train that led to this engineering miracle.

(I hear factory Suzuki is actually going with this graphics package next year)

And screw it, if you're going to paint, take off all the plastic and paint it right down to the core. The airbox. Inside the airbox. The air filter. The carb. Oooooh yes, why not?

The saddest part here is.... I've restored worse!! Stay tuned, I'll post updates as I progress!

|
sandman768
5/9/2016 5:58am
That will keep you busy for a while! Lots of parts availible for these bikes. Typical Suzuki for this era, poor fit & finish, weak brakes, no bottom end, slight mid, some overev....good suspension. you had to be really talented to make this bike sing...Had some riding buddies who bought them new, they were fairly reliable ....for a Suzuki! Be careful when removing swingarm bolt/shaft, if it has not been greased & I"m assuming the former owner does not own a tub of grease, the swing arms crack very easily where the bearings are pressed in..
pete24
5/9/2016 6:09am
your a brave soul, you couldnt have paid me to take that roach
notme
5/9/2016 8:01am
No more painted bikes for me, it would have to be a special year/model to take on all that extra work again. Major pia.....have fun!
5/9/2016 9:35am
My red white and blue 480 sits just inside the door of my shop to serve as a reminder what to pass on.....

The Shop

MaxPower
5/9/2016 10:26am
Thats right up there with BillysLad 83 cr125. I dont know. I may have euthanized that thing
MR. X
5/9/2016 10:52am
It looks like it was dipped in aqua paint
quicken
5/9/2016 11:14am
Thank you for saving that poor bike.
mark_swart
5/9/2016 11:50am
quicken wrote:
Thank you for saving that poor bike.
Haha, at least one person appreciates my insanity!
quicken
5/9/2016 4:18pm

Of course with the high quality of the bike to start with, we are expecting nothing less than perfection on this one.

mark_swart
5/9/2016 4:28pm
Yeah I wish!! Schmidt 88 works bike, anodized forks, 89 pre-production motor and works tank!!

I'm guessing an 88 RM 250 tank/shroud setup would not fit on my 88 125. It would be a lot more comfortable!!

But I can guarantee it will be yellow and blue, with a Full Floater sticker on the swingarm. That's pretty close, right haha?
Jim in VA
5/9/2016 5:53pm
I think maybe we should make it illegal for kids to buy black spray paint just like alcohol and cigarettes. Or maybe an IQ test beforehand.

On the other hand, the kickstart might be sheer genius!? Stick a ratchet or breaker bar in there, start it, then remove. It's gotta save a good pound or two on the track! Cheaper than titanium fasteners! Sad
EL Sammo
5/9/2016 11:10pm
Ah the old large footed spray paint monster teenager hey, rare but still found in hilly areas.

Good to hear the bike is not too bad and a solid base for a rebuild.
NHtoWA421
5/9/2016 11:21pm
that thorough of a taint job and they missed the fork leg... come one bigfoot... you had ONE job.... lol
TTperra
5/10/2016 11:05am
You are a hero rescue that bike!
My CR480 had also been through the dope-workshop, all painted black..

Totally agree on stupid people not being allowed to buy spray cans, they should not be allowed to buy bikes at all.
have a ktm sx50 for my son, stupid PO had welded the ignition rotor to the crankshaft when it snapped of (probably holding crank by the nut when torque the clutch side..) steel and alloy on rotor separated, bearings grilled.. but I got it cheap.
Jim in VA
5/10/2016 4:24pm
TTperra wrote:
You are a hero rescue that bike! My CR480 had also been through the dope-workshop, all painted black.. Totally agree on stupid people not being allowed...
You are a hero rescue that bike!
My CR480 had also been through the dope-workshop, all painted black..

Totally agree on stupid people not being allowed to buy spray cans, they should not be allowed to buy bikes at all.
have a ktm sx50 for my son, stupid PO had welded the ignition rotor to the crankshaft when it snapped of (probably holding crank by the nut when torque the clutch side..) steel and alloy on rotor separated, bearings grilled.. but I got it cheap.
Wow, was wondering what happened to my old KTM 50! Blush Kidding of course..
crfman250
5/11/2016 12:19am Edited Date/Time 5/11/2016 12:21am
The silver tank color is wicked!!!! like a VRP!
I also love in inner work in the air box , so professional !
You are a hero Mark!
But you didnt share the price with us!!!!

quicken
5/15/2016 10:48am
Keep it up!

What paint/color on the frame?
Mouse153
5/16/2016 7:43am
I want to watch this thread!
mark_swart
5/16/2016 3:17pm
How did you get the paint off the upper fork tubes?
This spray chemical at car stores in the paint section called aircraft remover. It bubbles the paint right up with no scrubbing. Upper and lower tubes. The orange environmentally friendly stuff works too, but it takes longer.
newmann
5/16/2016 7:31pm
How did you get the paint off the upper fork tubes?
mark_swart wrote:
This spray chemical at car stores in the paint section called aircraft remover. It bubbles the paint right up with no scrubbing. Upper and lower tubes...
This spray chemical at car stores in the paint section called aircraft remover. It bubbles the paint right up with no scrubbing. Upper and lower tubes. The orange environmentally friendly stuff works too, but it takes longer.
I was going to suggest aircraft stripper, see you already discovered it. And that isn't paint my friend, it's preservative. Laughing
BS261
5/17/2016 1:25am
Wow. Whoever did that to that poor bike should be arrested.
mb60
5/17/2016 10:18am
newmann wrote:
I was going to suggest aircraft stripper, see you already discovered it. And that isn't paint my friend, it's preservative. Laughing
Feels like it's eating your skin off if you happen to get any on you.
Jim in VA
5/17/2016 4:22pm
newmann wrote:
mb60 wrote:
Feels like it's eating your skin off if you happen to get any on you.
Heck yeah! I'm not usually a safety stickler, but I'll throw on some safety glasses if I'm using paint stripper with a stiff brush! Not good flung in the eyeballs, or the skin for that matter..
MCfan4life
7/18/2016 4:17pm
I just love seeing an old bike get saved! Well done sir Cool

Any new updates?
mark_swart
7/18/2016 4:32pm
Thanks for the comment! I actually had my first ride on it this weekend. As anyone who has rebuilt one knows, the first ride usually isn't good, it's where you figure out what you missed. It basically runs like it has a rag in the air box. I am rebuilding the carb and putting in new reeds this week. It starts but just doesn't want to rev out. Power valve is working and opening fine, and it seems to run worse the longer it runs, which seems like it could be a reed blowback problem. Just slow to rev and messy / slow to clear out on top. Main jet was wrong, but I don't think it could be the soul culprit.
Still waiting on graphics too. Anyway, here's where we are now!

Post a reply to: 88 RM 125 Build - A Craigslist Gem you won't want to miss this!!

The Latest