86 to 88 Honda CR Forks

Smed
8/24/2018 4:22am
These forks will still work good with a rebuild & springs correct for you.
jaywash2
11/12/2018 11:06am
Hey what is the best way to hold the piston from spinning when removing the lowers? The service manual mentions a specific tool. I am wondering if there was a different way? I think I can make a tool to hold it pretty easily but I am not sure of the size of "tool" i would need to hold the piston. Any suggestions or preferred methods?
robinsongs
7/17/2019 7:12pm Edited Date/Time 7/17/2019 7:13pm
Used these forks on all my Jap bikes when I raced AMA D37 Desert in the mid to late '80s. Have same forks on my '97 XR650L. However, the valving is way different. More restrictive. CNC machined my own gold valves and did valving and modified mid valve (MV) as I do on all my bikes (KTMs, etc). The MV on the XRL is way more restrictive than the late '80s CRs. The XRL MV has 4 square holes in them and what I did was to carefully drill (7/64") between these 4 holes to increase MV flow on big hits (hi-speed comp). These forks on my older bikes in the '80s were tits stock, but the stock forks on the XRL knocked the filings out of my teeth. I have used Maxima Blue Label SAE 5 or equivelant in these forks for years with light compression. Never any heavier oil. Controlling rebound by oil viscosity is bad thinking and moving in the wrong direction. This adds to mid-stroke harshness which is what we want to get rid of even with lighter valving. Trying to force heavy oil through small orifices isn't the way to go. There are 2 ways to control rebound on these forks. You can carefully peen the two small holes at the top of the damper rod and re-drill them about .010 smaller than stock. Measure hole diameter before. They are a little over .060" in diameter stock. Secondly, there are about 7 thin shims on the rebound side of the MV that by appearance don't seem to do much. Don't be fooled, these control rebound. If you add 2-3 more of the exact same thickness and diameter this will slow down rebound. These forks run best with 5 weight cartridge suspension fluid. Luckily I am a machinist and have made my own custom MC parts for 50 years. The late '80s Showa forks were what Team Honda had on their pro bikes. There wasn't anything better at the time. There were aftermarket rebound adjusters for these Showa forks available in the late '80s, but I could never get them to work so I took them out. Properly setup these forks can still give you a good ride, even by today's standard.
Sofiedog
7/19/2019 10:56am
robinsongs wrote:
Used these forks on all my Jap bikes when I raced AMA D37 Desert in the mid to late '80s. Have same forks on my '97...
Used these forks on all my Jap bikes when I raced AMA D37 Desert in the mid to late '80s. Have same forks on my '97 XR650L. However, the valving is way different. More restrictive. CNC machined my own gold valves and did valving and modified mid valve (MV) as I do on all my bikes (KTMs, etc). The MV on the XRL is way more restrictive than the late '80s CRs. The XRL MV has 4 square holes in them and what I did was to carefully drill (7/64") between these 4 holes to increase MV flow on big hits (hi-speed comp). These forks on my older bikes in the '80s were tits stock, but the stock forks on the XRL knocked the filings out of my teeth. I have used Maxima Blue Label SAE 5 or equivelant in these forks for years with light compression. Never any heavier oil. Controlling rebound by oil viscosity is bad thinking and moving in the wrong direction. This adds to mid-stroke harshness which is what we want to get rid of even with lighter valving. Trying to force heavy oil through small orifices isn't the way to go. There are 2 ways to control rebound on these forks. You can carefully peen the two small holes at the top of the damper rod and re-drill them about .010 smaller than stock. Measure hole diameter before. They are a little over .060" in diameter stock. Secondly, there are about 7 thin shims on the rebound side of the MV that by appearance don't seem to do much. Don't be fooled, these control rebound. If you add 2-3 more of the exact same thickness and diameter this will slow down rebound. These forks run best with 5 weight cartridge suspension fluid. Luckily I am a machinist and have made my own custom MC parts for 50 years. The late '80s Showa forks were what Team Honda had on their pro bikes. There wasn't anything better at the time. There were aftermarket rebound adjusters for these Showa forks available in the late '80s, but I could never get them to work so I took them out. Properly setup these forks can still give you a good ride, even by today's standard.
Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge...I just rebuilt this '88...forks are stock and work pretty well for me with Honda HP 5wt oil...not, the recommended Honda ATF.
I look forward to doing some of the tuning mods you guys are using to get the most out of these old school forks.

The Shop

robinsongs
7/20/2019 8:16am
Nice bike Sofiedog. Forgot to mention that when saw the picture of the base valves at the beginning of this link I wanted to find a used of the CR forks so I could use these valves when I modified my XR650L forks. Too much $$$ even on ebay so I machined my own gold valves and it took 2-3 attempts to get the shims right for me. The compression holes on the stock XRL base valves were only about the size of a wooden pencil lead and wouldn't pass much oil. That is why the stock forks rattled my teeth on square edge hits. I can't believe some guys on other forums state that the stock XRL forks are great. When I raced desert in the late '80s I ran stock Showa CR cartridge forks with the Honda/Showa SAE 5 fork oil with compression adjusters fully soft and they worked great on everything. These were the only forks I ran stock that worked good enough in my 50 years of motorcycling without needing revalving. Since they were 43mm I used them in in my Kayaba Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki bikes. Same fork tubes and settings. I would just swap out the tubes on the new bikes every year and replace the stock Kayaba tubes when I sold the bikes at the end of each year of hard core racing.

There are two more good reasons about using these forks for off road riding. Since the forks are only 43mm they flex a bit, which isn't a bad thing off road. This allows the front wheel to move around without that deflection going to the bars. This allows you to not need a steering stabilizer as the bike tracks straighter. Secondly, the aluminum sliders on these conventional forks take the abuse of off road riding without risking dinging or scratching the chrome fork tubes of modern USD forks. Finally, I can't recall ever putting new fork seals on the 3 sets of these forks I have owned and ran. Wish I could say the same for USD forks. Enjoy...
lumpy790
7/20/2019 3:40pm
essant wrote:
Hi I have what I believe are Showa cartridge forks of an '87 CR 250 that I acquired with a bunch of other bits from ebay...
Hi
I have what I believe are Showa cartridge forks of an '87 CR 250 that I acquired with a bunch of other bits from ebay. The only markings I can find on them are a very worn Showa sticker and 'KA4-RHK-1 S' stamped on the right leg and 'KA4-LHK-1 S' on the left leg. I've just stripped them down and it looks like I either have a bunch of parts missing, when compared to this diagram, the rod piston being the most obvious, or I've got a different set of forks to what I was told.

The components I have were assembled differently in each fork leg, so clearly whoever was in there before me has just thrown them back together and walked away whistling nervously..

Appreciate it someone could confirm, or otherwise, what forks these are and point me to any resources that will help me (parts catalog, rebuild guide, source of missing components).

I got these forks, along with the triple clamps to upgrade the originals on my '79 Cr250 that I'm currently rebuilding.

Many thanks.
Smed wrote:
As said above no taper on the upper tubes between the triple clamp area is the giveaway, Not cartridge if that's all the bits you have...
As said above no taper on the upper tubes between the triple clamp area is the giveaway, Not cartridge if that's all the bits you have, underneath the top caps should be threads for the damper rod if cartridge, KA4 is Honda product code for CR250 from 81-85, If the lowers have disc caliper mounts you have 84-85 forks.
Those are old style dampening rod forks that cartridge forks replaced.
Blackjack31
8/23/2019 12:34am
wolfy0067 wrote:
Getting ready to install Race Tech Gold valves in my 88 CR250, though I post some photos of them disassemble showing their simplicity and ease of...
Getting ready to install Race Tech Gold valves in my 88 CR250, though I post some photos of them disassemble showing their simplicity and ease of cleaning,

Photo show damping rods removed, very easily done by removing cap, pulling out springs, removing lower leg compression dampening bolt.

Dampening assemble pulls right out, after draining oil of course.

With the dampening rod laying on the work bench, I remove the retaining ring usually this is finger tight, if not a light tap with a punch loosens them, I then install the comp. bolt back in and pull out the base valving, lower right.

Last photo show rebound dampening rod with return orifice and stack.

I was glad to see how clean these parts are for an all but 30 year old bike comp. bolts are almost like new.

Picking up the kit tonight will try to get some pic's of valving change over

I know this is an old thread but I am currently restoring an old 1988 cr125 and the suspension is terribly dirty. Honestly, the bushings and everything look brand new but the oils is like clumped motor oil. Never seen anything like it. Anyway, I have some questions about the suspension. How to get the rebound rod apart and get to the valving, is the rebound rod supposed to function while it’s dissasembled but still connected to the cartridge? I know my new yz250 does. This bikes rod has to be pulled in and out and doesn’t come out on its own. Last question, what’s up with the valve at the top of the forks? Are they kinda like air forks? Do they take nitrogen? Idk how to message on here but If you could could you email me, message me, or something?
robinsongs
8/23/2019 7:55am
First of all you have to carefully remove the peening on the threads that hold the nut on the end of the inner rod by the mid valve (MV). I use a small file and hold it at an angle and carefully file around the exposed threads until the nut can be unscrewed with a 10mm wrench. You will need to use another wrench on the flats that are behind the MV. Do not just file the end flush. Use red Loctite upon assembly. Do not get any Loctite on shims; just use a drop inside the threads on the nuts and do not overtighten. I have never run air in these forks. I just use the Schraeder valve to bleed off the air. If you use air you will increase the stiction on the seals which is a no-no. As the seals wear a small amount air will get past the seals and into the fork during the rebound strokes. No worries. Just bleed it off a couple of times per day. This also lets me know the seals are slightly worn, even though they don't leak oil. I prefer slightly worn seals as they have less stiction than new ones. Quite possibly you got dirt past the seals to have your clumping oil. I would check to make sure the seals went in the right way. It is very EZ to install them the wrong way. I always use reuse the seals since I change oil frequently using Maxima blue label SAE 5. I only replace seals when they leak. Always use the correct size seal installer when pushing in the seals. Check the bushings carefully to make sure the wear hasn't gone past the Teflon coating. 5mm preload is great on these forks. As with all forks you want minimal stiction to provide the best ride. Once again: No air. Use proper springs for your weight and skill level. Enjoy.
3/21/2020 2:25pm
This is an old thread but details on these late 80's Honda forks are hard to come by. This thread is one of the best resources on the web.

Does anyone have information on recommended shims stacks for an 87 CR125, vintage racing on natural terrain tracks. No real complaints with what I have just checking to see if it can be better.
robinsongs
3/21/2020 5:33pm
The '87 CR forks were actually quite good in stock form in their day. I bought a set of the steel tubes and inner cartridges from Sudco in '86 and started using them right away on my '86 Yamaha YZ490 for D37 Desert Racing. During my dez racing career I would buy a new bike every year and simply swap the steel fork tubes and cartridges to the new bikes, even with Kayaba forks. I do remember having to machine the bottom of the bottom-out cones on the Showas to fit the Kayabas; they worked great in all those bikes I used them on. I think they would be great for vintage MX racing even in today's world.

I want to add a comment and recommendation to my original post on 7/17/2019: After riding the modified Showa 43mm forks on my 1997 Honda XR650L I figured it would not be best to drill the four 7/64" holes between the square ports on the mid valves of these Showa 43mm forks. See original post for what I did here. This causes the forks to dive a little too much under heavy front wheel braking.

BTW: I have recently swapped out the OEM modified Showa 43mm forks on the XRL for a nice set of Gen 1 Showa 47U forks from a 2001 Honda CR250R with my CNC machined base valves and good valving. Even though the 43s worked great on the XRL they flexed too much due to the weight of the bike. The 47U front end (forks, triples and front wheel) now weighs about 3 pounds less than the OEM 43mm set up. I have removed a little over 30 pounds of fat off the XRL.
3/21/2020 8:42pm
Thanks for the reply.

I have an 87 CR125 that I'm using for vintage racing. The upper fork tubes are badly pitted between the triple clamps but otherwise have worked well since I bought the bike 18 months ago. The only thing I've done is change the oil.

I bought a pair of 87 CR250 forks on ebay to use for parts. My intent was to use the best parts from each fork to build one good set. I also wanted to replace the bushings and seals since their condition was unknown.

So I tore down all four cartridge assemblies, the two from the 125 and the two from the 250. All four still had the factory peening on the valve assemblies, so I assume they are factory. None of the four are exactly the same, both the 125 and the 250 are mis-matched left to right. And the 250 had a single 18mm x 0.1shim on the base valve.

I'm looking for an optimum shim stack for vintage racing, natural terrain tracks, old and slow.
robinsongs
3/22/2020 8:07am
Dale,

Most unusual, as I have never seen different valving per leg on these or any forks that have both compression and rebound in both tubes. The '87 forks were very good with stock valving. The 125 forks will have lighter valving and springs due to the bike being lighter than the 250. There should be a sticker on the back side of the aluminum sliders with a number. This number is the valving for the forks. If you can still read them you should see different numbers for the CR125, 250 and 500. Remember that these forks will have been valved and sprung softer for natural tracks and terrain. Nowadays computer designed supercross tracks have big jumps and air time and bikes require stiffer (springs and valving) suspension. I know the Showa 43mm forks worked great out in the Mojave Desert as I used to race my 500cc 2Ts up sand washes at 70+ mph in the mid to late '80s. This was as natural as you could get.

If you have to remove the peening be careful not to file or grind the end of the threads square. Same for rear shocks. Instead bevel the grinding of the threads as you don't want to remove the center of threaded post where the hole is by shortening it. Sometimes the hole can be larger in diameter as the post gets ground away. I always use new nuts with a drop of red Loctite and light torque on the fork valving nuts. Use red Loctite and good torque on shock valving nuts.

I wouldn't use anything but a good quality SAE 5 fork oil and SAE 3 for shocks. I use Maxima blue label SAE 5 for forks and their purple label synthetic SAE 3 for shocks. Some people use heavier oil in these Showa 43mm forks to control rebound. This will stiffen up the compression damping, which is what you don't want if your valving is correct. You can control rebound a little on these forks (there is no external adjustment) by slightly closing up both rebound holes that are located just under the nut that locks the damper rod to the fork cap. I'm only talking about .010-.015". To do this first measure the hole diameter as close as you can with the shank of a small drill. Number drills go down to a #60 (.040") in a standard set and get larger by a few thousandths as the drill number decreases. The holes will be around .060". Carefully dimple in the holes using a V-block to support the damper rods. You don't want to bend or crush the inner damper rod. You just want to dimple in the outer edge of the rebound holes slightly. Then you will have to carefully drill the dimpled hole to the size you want to assure they are all the same. Use a drop of oil to lubricate the drilling. I would start about .015" smaller than stock and go from there. Clean all chips from the inside of the damper rod. I wouldn't deburr the outside of the hole as that can enlarge the drilled hole.

Another thing: I always try to enlarge the compression holes on all fork and shock valves. This reduces the possibility of harsh hi-speed compression damping. On sudden hits (square edge ruts, etc) the suspension has to compress quickly (IE: high speed compression damping). Opening the compression holes in the fork and shock valves allows for more oil flow when it is needed and reduces the spike you feel in the bars that make your teeth rattle. Then the compression damping can be controlled better with the shims, not the hole size. Of course, the valving still needs to be spot on.
3/22/2020 7:10pm
Thanks for the great info. I'm working out a plan for re-assembly and will post soon.
3/22/2020 7:18pm
OK, after a weekend of beating the bushes looking for information it's time to start to put together a plan. This is my outline for re-assembly:

The springs are sacked. Honda sets the free length service limit at 22.47" and mine are at 22. I believe these are stock 0.339kg/mm, when I measured them with the bathroom scale and broomstick method I got .35. If they are .35 they are not Honda as they don't have the closed coils Honda describes. Honda lists .31, .33, .35, Racetech recommends .38 but the closest match is .40. I weigh 180lbs and am old and slow, I like the soft suspension I have today but do expect to get faster as I go. I will likely get the .35 Honda springs.

Base valve- 2 x 18.2, 5 x 18.1 This adjusts the mis-match I had in the left & right side, otherwise it's about what I had previously.

Rebound- 5 x 18.1 This is the same as it had, no change.

New bushings and seals.

Use the good upper tubes from the CR250.

5wt oil
KVA_536
4/13/2020 1:11pm
This is an old thread but details on these late 80's Honda forks are hard to come by. This thread is one of the best resources...
This is an old thread but details on these late 80's Honda forks are hard to come by. This thread is one of the best resources on the web.

Does anyone have information on recommended shims stacks for an 87 CR125, vintage racing on natural terrain tracks. No real complaints with what I have just checking to see if it can be better.
Following this thread......... I have the same bike to build next. All this info is GOLD
4/13/2020 3:08pm
This is an old thread but details on these late 80's Honda forks are hard to come by. This thread is one of the best resources...

KVA_536 wrote:
Following this thread......... I have the same bike to build next. All this info is GOLD
KVA,
I agree, this old thread was too full of good information to let it die.

I have my '87 CR125 forks back together and can tell you what I ended up with. I haven't had the bike out yet to judge the results.

Please post what you find in your forks when you take them apart and how to set them up. I've torn down two sets and found very different setups in each.

There is also a thread on the same subject on TT if you are looking for more info.

Post a reply to: 86 to 88 Honda CR Forks

The Latest