84 YZ 250L

oldsocalmxr
Amazingly, I had a really clean low hour '84 YZ 250 follow me home the other day. Just wondered if anybody has the dope on one of these. I know about the goofy Z spokes, but not much else. Was not riding much during the mid '80s. Planned on racing this in the +60 class. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I believe the previous owner said Race Tech had done the forks and shock.
Thanks in advance,
Mike
|
mb60
7/28/2017 1:07pm
Put A Jemco pipe and silencer on it. Lean the jetting out 1 size on both. Keep the 48 rear sprocket and by some 450 titanium pegs that mount right up. Great bikes and have a blast on them.
CDswinehart
7/31/2017 5:53am
Vaguely remember a Wrench Report on rear wheel alignment, and suggested jetting specs. Several of our guys ran Ohlins on the rear. We all used the little White Bros. do-hickey extender to lighten the clutch pull. Don't recall anyone porting or grinding much on the cylinders, just a quick check and cleanup. Over all that series bike was a pretty tough and reliable steed with minimal issues.
oldsocalmxr
7/31/2017 7:27am
Here's a picture of the bike...... seemed to be in great condition. PO told me it was a garage queen up until a couple of years ago. Looking at several normal wear spots, I am inclined to agree.Cool

The Shop

BMR179
Fantasy
1263rd
8/2/2017 7:12am
Here's a picture of the bike...... seemed to be in great condition. PO told me it was a garage queen up until a couple of years...
Here's a picture of the bike...... seemed to be in great condition. PO told me it was a garage queen up until a couple of years ago. Looking at several normal wear spots, I am inclined to agree.Cool

Have an engine builder look up the wrench report from Yamaha for the '84 YZ250. I had one and the thing hauled ass after the motor work. If I remember correctly, there was some porting, head work, and the pipe was cut and re-welded a certain way. Never had problems with the Z spoke, but heard horror stories. Nice bike, I would like to find one like that.

Post a reply to: 84 YZ 250L

The Latest