84 RM250 Gold Valve Setup Question

Whymee
I am installing Gold Valves in my 84 RM250. Since the kit FEGV 4301 is for several machines, I was wondering if anyone has gone before me and can/would share set up tips. Such as Fork oil level & viscosity, shim stack, drilling dampner rods, etc. Any info will be appreciated! I will be using .41 springs.

The way life is I do not have a lot of spare time to test and get them close enough to fine tune. Here is hoping that somebody will share their knowledge and save me some time!

Thanks in Advance!

Whymee
|
_X_
2/15/2021 1:35pm
yeah, its called call race tech
Whymee
2/15/2021 5:14pm
_X_ wrote:
Sane advice.

I plan to call them. I would also like to hear some real world experience, yanno...
captmoto
2/15/2021 9:35pm
Whymee wrote:
Sane advice.

I plan to call them. I would also like to hear some real world experience, yanno...
They are the real world experience.
I dealt with Matt Riley. 909-273-4985. He can give you some advice but if you follow Race Techs directions you won't go wrong. once you kind of look at how they work, they are pretty easy to set up. Amazing little bit of mechanical knowhow from Paul Thede.
MXVet261
Fantasy
4078th
2/17/2021 6:54am
When you put your code in at the DVS page it will give you recommended options on oil weight, level, etc. Likely 15wt and around 120-130 mm.

There is really not a whole lot of settings involved with the emulators though. You will always drill out the damper rod with larger/more holes to allow the oil to flow freely to the emulator. There is no shim stack to deal with.

You are only dealing with which color spring (probably blue) to use, how many turns of preload on the emulator spring, and how many bleed holes to drill.

The Shop

Whymee
2/17/2021 5:05pm
Thanks for the advice guys!
MXVet261
Fantasy
4078th
2/18/2021 8:43am
Also, don't forget you set the oil height with the emulator installed.

But, you want to fill forks with oil without emulator and bleed them out properly, then install emulator. If you try to bleed with emulator in there it will just push the emulator up.

The 43mm ones can cock sideways so you have to make sure you get it down through the oil and flat on top of the damper rod before setting oil height and putting spring in.

Using one of these types of grabber tools is the best way to push the emulator down through the oil and make sure it sits flat.

https://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch-2-in-1-pickup-tool-94162.html

PNWRider
2/20/2021 5:25am
_X_ wrote:
This is an enthusiast forum with a wide variety of folks who may have real-world experience to help the OP. For all you knew (before the OP replied), maybe had already called them without getting more than general instructions?

Try not being a dick, maybe you’ll like it and make it a habit.
2/21/2021 4:33pm
_X_ wrote:
PNWRider wrote:
This is an enthusiast forum with a wide variety of folks who may have real-world experience to help the OP. For all you knew (before the...
This is an enthusiast forum with a wide variety of folks who may have real-world experience to help the OP. For all you knew (before the OP replied), maybe had already called them without getting more than general instructions?

That's the exact response I got from Racetech, "follow the instructions",
But they neglected to tell me about or sell me shorter top out springs used in my application.
_X_
2/22/2021 4:26am
_X_ wrote:
PNWRider wrote:
This is an enthusiast forum with a wide variety of folks who may have real-world experience to help the OP. For all you knew (before the...

Lol, PNWrider defender of all. Dude I need not explain myself to an overly sensitive man such as yourself. Take some Geritol and make an appointment with your therapists then take a couple deep breathes and relax. Because if Whymee had issue with my response he would have stated so. Besides he's from the east coast, he can take joke.

Your pal,
Dick

Post a reply to: 84 RM250 Gold Valve Setup Question

The Latest