'83 CR125

GoMoto
Edited Date/Time 7/2/2018 6:09am

Last fall I picked up a decent resto project CR. I've been racing vintage HS for the past three years or so and thought I'd give vintage MX a go, so this is going to be a racer not a showpiece. All of the important stuff is there and it doesn't look to have been molested too badly through the years:

Over the winter I tore it down and tossed most of the wear items. That will all get replaced. I've got the pipe (trashed) and silencer (good) and will need to source a few harder to find items (intake boot, hoses) and will probably send the forks and shock to Race Tech for rebuild. Anybody have a line on radiator restoration? These are actually pretty straight and don't leak. I've heard bad things about the Chinese reproduction radiators. I've restored a half dozen vintage Japanese bikes and this is my first venture into the modern world of water cooling...any advice would be appreciated.

Oh, and yes it had a fair amount of corrosion in the clutch cover, but over the winter I started cleaning that up with some JB Weld, a dremel and a fair amount of patience:

I am more concerned with corrosion/wear on the mating surfaces between the clutch cover and the case, enough so that I went ahead and ordered an aluminum repro clutch cover from Australia last week. Hope it's got good fit and finish.

|
GoMoto
7/2/2015 2:25pm
New clutch cover arrived today.

As advertised, cast finish and seems to fit cleanly to the case. Fittings and bungs are all threaded right and look clean. I haven't swapped the dowels over and I have yet to get a gasket set, so...so far so good.

Now I've got to deal with the mechanical seal. Am I right in assuming the sheet metal cup still set in my old cover is part of the mechanical seal?

If so, cool. Looks like the seal and bearing are still available.
newmann
7/2/2015 3:26pm
Nicely done! Loving the repro cover and loving the fact that people are putting forth the effort for such things!
Honda88L
7/2/2015 6:17pm
By all means get the new bearing and seal. That seal is a press fit and really shouldn't be reused.. You spent the money on the cover. What's another $60? I have an 83 250 and have installed 2 new seals for various reasons. Well worth the money for piece of mind. Also - a deep socket matching the inside diameter of the seal is your friend putting the new one in. Tap lightly with a thin layer or grease. Good bike.
GoMoto
7/2/2015 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2015 6:53pm
Ha! Yeah I can't imagine getting that old one out without making a mess.

As far as ordering the seal (and other OEM parts), anybody have a preferred seller?

Also, one week till Vintage Motorcycle Days. Not racing this year so I'm making time to scour the swap for works bits and period go-fast parts. Or at least maybe some cool stickers...

The Shop

Honda88L
7/2/2015 7:18pm
I always find that Partzilla has good prices and if they say it is in stock it normally is. I also really like their OEM searches because you can click on the part# and see what bike shares the part - even on obsolete. Bike Bandit is also good for saying if it is in stock or not. I just hate sites that let you order and then email saying they don't have it.

You can knock the old seal out pretty easy if the cover is off just taking a punch or even a screwdriver from the bearing side and tapping it out.

billyslad
7/4/2015 9:14am
Doing one my self at the moment it has taken ages to find all the parts and get ready to assemble
DrGreg
7/5/2015 6:20am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2015 6:23am
I started a restoration on a 1983 CR125R back in February. I had the same issues and feelings about using the Chinese radiators on it.

I sent my radiators to Mylers in Utah. This isn't the first time I used Mylers. I sent them a set of radiators from a 1984 RM125 I rebuilt 2 years ago. Those radiators were so bent and smashed I thought there was no way they could fix them.

They came back looking like they were almost new again. I wish I had taken "before/after" pictures of them, to post as I have told many people to give them a try. I sent my CR radiators to them and again they came back looking great and all the magnesium build up and crap that was visibly built up in them is gone. I also got a new clutch cover from Russell in Australia, great way to go. Definitely replace that mechanical seal.

I totally recommend Race Tech and have sent them several sets of suspension from my Post Vintage bikes and have been very pleased. They aren't the cheapest but they do what they say in a timely manner. I tried Noleen J6 on a set of 1984 YZ suspension this last winter and was throughly disappointed for more than one reason. I agree with Honda 88 and like Partzilla, great prices and fast shipping. Good luck on it.
tb901
Fantasy
2041st
7/6/2015 6:51am

I built one of these last year. It went from a $200 heap to ~$4K functioning racer. Seemed like I wound up with at least two of everything, and had to make a few parts too. Many parts for these are really scarce: linkage bushings from Europe, radiators from china (which I had good luck with). Good luck

DrGreg
7/8/2015 5:55am
Nice job on that one tb901. Have you rode it/raced it at all? How do you like it? Any comparisons to other bikes you can make?
tb901
Fantasy
2041st
7/8/2015 8:03am
I "finished" it last summer, practiced on it a couple times, was going to race it at mid-Ohio but I wasn't too impressed with the motor. I think I put the 36mm manifold with a 34mm carb (not kidding about having two of everything). It feels like a great bike, typ 83 CR. I spoke to a guy in your area who knows a lot about these. He said with a 34mm carb and an 84 PC pipe, his run similar to modern 125's. I've got the pipe, need to change the manifold and have another go at it. I'm still excited about it, just been too busy with other projects.
GoMoto
7/8/2015 9:06am
Just got the radiators back from Myler's. Straightened and reinforced for about $170.

I'm happy with the results, cleaned up OEM parts for roughly the same price as the Chinese ones. Good to know the Chinese rads worked though...just in case. I'm doubly impressed with the turnaround at Myler's. Sent them in and they were repaired and returned within a week.

Off to Mid-O tomorrow. Stoked.
billyslad
7/10/2015 10:06am
I am trying to find a waterpumpshaft if anyone has any ideas
GoMoto
7/13/2015 8:31am
Vintage Days was typically wet for at least one day.

Hit the woods for the vintage harescrambles Friday morning and helped more than a few racers get up the greasy wet Ohio clay hills. I cooked the clutch in my XR just getting around the course.

Spent all day Saturday either at the swap meet or watching MX. Didn't find much for the 125 at the swap, saw way more parts for 250s. Prices actually seemed....down this year. It was weird.

GoMoto
2/9/2018 5:58pm
Finally getting around to putting this thing together. As posted in another thread I split the cases, sweated out the bearings in the oven (sorry wife, the bread did taste a little funny...), replaced all of the bearings, seals and clutch. Cylinder is getting bored to 56.75mm with a new Wiseco piston. Other than that just I’ve just been collecting parts.

I’ve got another question while I wait for a water pump seal to get here:

The ‘83 CR125R carb is a Keihin PE35C and I cannot find a rebuild kit from any of the usual sources (Sudco, JD, etc.) It looks like the PE35 just vanished after 1983. ‘84 and later models went to the PJ series, apparently. I’m just looking for basic rebuild kit stuff (needle, seat, gaskets, etc.) Anybody know a source for odd/outdated carb parts?

Obligatory pic:

avmechanic
2/10/2018 1:58pm
Nice to see you are back at it. I love to see these bikes saved. Good luck on the carb parts. Probably easier to update to a later carb. The later carbs usually perform better too. Hopefully you can get the old carb working again.
Greg.

GoMoto
2/10/2018 2:31pm
Thanks. Wasn’t really looking to spend $4K on a $400 bike but I should know better by now.

I’ll call Sudco next week and see what they recommend.
GoMoto
7/1/2018 8:50am
All done.

Sweated out and replaced all bearings in the motor and suspension.
Wiseco 2nd overbore.
VMX carb manifold and radiator shrouds.
DG pipe.
Aluminum clutch cover.
RaceTech rebuilt shock.
IRC MB5 EVO/Z Mark II tires.
Refurbished stock radiators w/silicone hoses.
New EBC clutch and brakes.
About half a year’s wages in OEM fasteners from Partzilla. Maybe more.
New Chain, sprockets and cables, paint, etc.

Only had it up and down the alley. I’m headed to Mid-Ohio to tool around there for a couple of days next weekend. Can’t get my act together enough in time to try racing it but would be stoked to meet up with anybody who’s going and talk vintage moto. We’ll be set up in the campground near where the HS race dips into the woods.

Eric
tb901
Fantasy
2041st
7/2/2018 6:09am
I'll try to hunt you down. I'd like to see it. I sold mine a couple years ago. The whole 83 experience was a wallet draining exercise.

Post a reply to: '83 CR125

The Latest