‘82 YZ250 Project

Edited Date/Time 2/22/2018 10:53pm
Recently picked myself up a 1982 YZ250 as a project. So far I have cleaned the carb and done a compression test. The bike runs but definitely needs some work. Hoping to get it tidied up enough to do some vintage racing on it this season. I’m open to any information , advice or experience anyone has with this bike !

|
wfoyz250
2/21/2018 4:47am Edited Date/Time 2/21/2018 4:49am
Hows the cooling system on it? The flow through the steering head can be a problem with sourcing parts which renders it virtually useless. When I had mine, I designed a system of 90 deg. brass fittings and pre-formed automotive hoses to integrate with the radiator and bypass the frame system. Worked perfect and was "stealth". I have pics of what I did, I'll have to find them.
2/21/2018 6:07am
Your compression is low. Check out the power valve system too. I had a 82 YZ125 and the linkage was worn out when I got it. Like wfoyz250 said, you may want to bypass the cooling system around the steering head.
2/21/2018 1:17pm
wfoyz250 wrote:
Hows the cooling system on it? The flow through the steering head can be a problem with sourcing parts which renders it virtually useless. When I...
Hows the cooling system on it? The flow through the steering head can be a problem with sourcing parts which renders it virtually useless. When I had mine, I designed a system of 90 deg. brass fittings and pre-formed automotive hoses to integrate with the radiator and bypass the frame system. Worked perfect and was "stealth". I have pics of what I did, I'll have to find them.
Mines leaking from the steering head. I’m going to bypass the steering stem routing and eliminate that from the system.
2/21/2018 1:21pm
Your compression is low. Check out the power valve system too. I had a 82 YZ125 and the linkage was worn out when I got it...
Your compression is low. Check out the power valve system too. I had a 82 YZ125 and the linkage was worn out when I got it. Like wfoyz250 said, you may want to bypass the cooling system around the steering head.
Yes definitely low on compression , it is also sucking oil in from the crankcase. I’m going to change the crank seals and pull off the top end and go from there. I’m hoping I can put in a fresh piston and be back in business but will just have to wait and see how the crank feels and how the bore looks as well.

The Shop

2/22/2018 5:17am
See if you can find a copy of the YZ wrench report for that bike. My 82 YZ125 wrench report had lots of good performance updates. With the performance mods and a fresh rebuild, it out ran a 2003 Suzuki RM125 in a drag race. The suspension was no comparison, the Suzuki was far superior.
tobias56
2/22/2018 10:52pm
wfoyz250 wrote:
Hows the cooling system on it? The flow through the steering head can be a problem with sourcing parts which renders it virtually useless. When I...
Garage 161 wrote:
Mines leaking from the steering head. I’m going to bypass the steering stem routing and eliminate that from the system.
This should do the trick.

Post a reply to: ‘82 YZ250 Project

The Latest