79 125 Mugen Replica

MotoGUY
Edited Date/Time 1/8/2014 4:36pm
Has been a crazy last couple of weeks. Have been wanting to post some pictures of the bike me and my dad have been restoring for the last year. We have slowly but surely been piecing this bike together. It started last summer when he stumbled upon a NOS 1979 CR125 Crate Motor. He has a lot more pictures of the donor bike so maybe he can chime in and put some before pictures up. Last week we were lucky enough to stumble upon a complete NOS Mugen Kit for the 125. We are still waiting for the Mugen swingarm to be made and the now to get the Mugen Engine kit on and it should be complete.

We are both ready to see it complete but are very happy with how its coming along!

|
newmann
11/25/2013 6:56pm
Hardest part is going to be busting that top end loose on that NOS engine to install the Mugen kit! What a find though, what a find....
MotoGUY
11/25/2013 7:05pm Edited Date/Time 11/25/2013 7:06pm
newmann wrote:
Hardest part is going to be busting that top end loose on that NOS engine to install the Mugen kit! What a find though, what a...
Hardest part is going to be busting that top end loose on that NOS engine to install the Mugen kit! What a find though, what a find....
It will make it easier putting a brand new kit on rather than a used one. I knew I asked you earlier about the red pipe but also curious on everyones thoughts on which side plates to install the ones that are on it now or the longer ones. We have both of them and would like some feedback.

The Shop

11/27/2013 4:25pm
Here is the donor bike we used for this Mugen built.
It was a super clean low hour CR.
I looked for about a year before I settled on this bike.
11/27/2013 4:29pm
SIDE PANELS

I have the short side panels on the bike now.

I also have the longer 1980 version side panels but they totally hide the expensive Ohins shocks. The shocks were so dam expensive I just hate to hide them.

Not sure what to do.
11/27/2013 4:42pm
SWINGARM-I stuck the stock swingarm on on the Mugen for now.

Karl at KLP Racing is building the Mugen Replica Swingarm. Should be done soon.

Cant wait to see it...he is the best in the business!

Once its mounted I will send some pictures
11/27/2013 4:48pm
PAINTING-----SILENCER

Brian Fedigan at MXRestoration did all of my painting and built the custom silencer.

His website www.mxrestoration.com

His work is flawless and second to none.

I wanted to mention in case anyone is looking for some high quality workmanship.

Thanks
Tim
newmann
11/27/2013 5:31pm
SWINGARM-I stuck the stock swingarm on on the Mugen for now. Karl at KLP Racing is building the Mugen Replica Swingarm. Should be done soon. Cant...
SWINGARM-I stuck the stock swingarm on on the Mugen for now.

Karl at KLP Racing is building the Mugen Replica Swingarm. Should be done soon.

Cant wait to see it...he is the best in the business!

Once its mounted I will send some pictures
Let me know how your shocks and chain guide line up. Hopefully he kept the specs after I sent mine back to be redone. Chain guide was still too short to use after he recentered it. Eventually going to send him the one I made with my jigsaw to copy.
11/27/2013 6:23pm
Will do Newman. I know the Ohlins were 15.5" which were the correct size for the Mugen Swingarm.

Karl did mention that it came with the correct mounted chain guide.

When i get the swingarm I will let you know asap
justpinit
12/2/2013 6:43pm
Nice! Rode a '79 CR125 from 1980-82. Always dreamed of a box full of Mugen goodiesWoohooWoohoo
12/3/2013 9:45am
Good luck with KLP, The one CR arm had 8mm shock bolt hole's,
the exchange for the arm took over 6 months, he talked me into another sale for a rm
that never came, cancelled order, I built my own swingarm fixture
and been fabbing my own. Once you have the patterns, the arms are
pretty easy to fab. with even the basic home shop equipment

There is probably a local shop that can do the exact same work, for less

The heat treating is expensive if you only do one, same price for
Up to 6 or so.
1/8/2014 2:47pm
Rob,
Whats up buddy!

No KLP arm yet. I actually talked to Karl about 2 hours ago and he said it should ship next week. He was working on it today. I was glad to get your feedback because he will use 10mm bolts (instead of 8mm) and is doing a Mugen chain guide also.

Long wait to get this but hopefully I have it in a couple of weeks. When i get it I will post pictures.

I am going broke on this bike.
1/8/2014 4:36pm
yes, he said the same thing when i called him too,
He always said he was working on it.
4 months later , I called and asked if he even started
on it and do not lie he said he had not even started!
So i asked for a refund!

Post a reply to: 79 125 Mugen Replica

The Latest