'76 CR125 Elsinore race build help... now with links

Related:
Create New Tag

9/15/2020 7:00 PM

People like Kevin and builds like his CR make it all worthwhile. His bike is top notch- the choices made, the attention to detail, and craftsmanship. All there.

I hope it rips as good as it looks, Kevin- fill us in on any races you've done. Then let's do another one!

|

9/15/2020 9:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2020 6:32 AM

Sandman900SS wrote:

People like Kevin and builds like his CR make it all worthwhile. His bike is top notch- the choices made, the attention to detail, and craftsmanship. All there.

I hope it rips as good as it looks, Kevin- fill us in on any races you've done. Then let's do another one!

I will be at Glen Helen next Tue the 22nd for jetting, suspension set up and practice. Race is at GH the 12&13 of Oct Report to follow. Here are a few more pics of the final updates

'80 cr125 kickstart reshaped to fit
Photo

Billet brake torque arm from Stevie Denton
Photo

Denton Stainless & hollow rear axle
Photo

Denton billet pipe hanger
Photo

|

9/24/2020 7:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2020 7:47 AM

So I went to Glen Helen to set up the suspension and finish jetting. When I jetted at home (5,000 ft) I ended up with a 37.5 pilot, needle 2nd clip from top and a 260 main. It wouldn't clean out on the top with a main jet higher than 260 and would just blubber from being way too rich. Seemed about right as most people recomended a 280 main - 300 for a 32 Mikuni.

Since GH is considerably lower than 5,000 ft I put the 270 back in and started there. It ran, but again was too rich. I really had to slip the clutch to keep it screaming or it would load up (especially coming out of two soft dirt turns on the REM track that has you turning up hill. I went back to the 260 and it definitely ran better, but one slight mistake in either of those turns and if I shut the gas off and whacked the throttle from completely off to wide open it would bog really bad and load up (doesn't do it on the stand) and you had to pull the clutch in a rev the shi@t out of it to get it cleaned out. Basically it lost all bottom end

I was thinking of going from the 37.5 pilot to a 35 pilot and placing the needle clip in the center and starting there. Anyone have jetting experience and recommendations for this bike at GH?

Race is in three weeks on the National track. The way the bike is running now, one mistake at the bottom of either uphill and I ain't going up - that's for sure

Some pics from practice
Photo
Photo

|

10/13/2020 3:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/13/2020 3:54 PM

Winning the FPMX Vintage Championship title at Glen Helen came with a price.... but it was worth it... The bike ran great!
Photo
Photo Photo
Photo
Photo

|

10/14/2020 5:36 AM

Good stuff!

|

10/14/2020 6:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/14/2020 6:04 AM

Forgot to update the jetting/engine problem. It ended up the bike was 1.5mm too advanced. It was bogging down low and had no snap coming out of deep turns or when I pointed it up a steep hill. Once we got the ignition timed right (about 2.3mm BTD) it came to life It still had to be absolutely pinned and screamed to the limit going up those big hills on the National Track at Glen Helen, but as ling as you kept it in the pipe, it ripped !

|

10/15/2020 1:24 PM

Thanks for the update and congratulations on the win!

|

10/18/2020 10:55 AM

Jake, congrats on the win and building such a nice bike. I see some Ti stuff and was curious if you weighed the bike after you were done? Also I read your main/pilot jet sizes. Do you happen to know what slide, needle and needle jet you settled on?

I assume the blood spilled was when you wife learned of the cost of some of these items! Just cause I am a good guy, I could store that in my shop if you like!!!!

|

10/18/2020 12:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/18/2020 1:02 PM

Hasletjoe wrote:

Jake, congrats on the win and building such a nice bike. I see some Ti stuff and was curious if you weighed the bike after you were done? Also I read your main/pilot jet sizes. Do you happen to know what slide, needle and needle jet you settled on?

I assume the blood spilled was when you wife learned of the cost of some of these items! Just cause I am a good guy, I could store that in my shop if you like!!!!

Ha! If my wife knew what I spent on that thing I would have two black eyes! The parts you see on the bike that look like Ti came form Phil Denton Engineering in Whales. Stevie Denton, Phil's son made the parts for me at special request. I decided not to go with Ti as the bike $$$ was adding up fast. The parts are stainless steel. Also, some of the dished bolts and nuts are from SpecBolts. Those parts are nickel plated.

These were the two jetting specs I used as a guideline. They should work for either a 34 or 32 Mikuni
Joe Newman's
slide 2.5
needle 6dh2 clip 2nd from top
needle jet 159Q0
pilot 35
main 300

Harry Klemms DG
Slide 2.5
Needle 6F5
Needle Jet 159Q2
Pilot 40
Main 280
1/2 Turn out on air screw

I ended up using the Joe Newmann's recommendations as that was the set up that worked best in my bike. I did call and speak to Harry Klemm. He was honest when we spoke and said, I know those are my specs, but I truthfully I don't remember anything specifically from that time.

On Joe Newmann's specs I ended up running a 270 main jet at Glen Helen. GH is at 2,200 ft in elevation and it was 100' temps for the race so I went a little on the lean side. I think a 300 main is pretty fat (maybe on a cold day at sea level it would work). I ran 110 VP mixed with 87 leaded alcohol free gas. I mixed 2 parts VP to 1 part 87 leaded. The bike ripped on essentially a 2nd over barrel, with only slight clean up done to the ports. The air screw was about 1/4 to 1/2 out.

As far as keeping the bike in your shop goes... We can definitely work something out! I built the bike to race it and sell it. I have now raced it at GH and I raced an Arizona Vintage Racing Association in Casa Grande. I won GP1 125 Expert 60+ and took 2nd in GP1 Open Expert 60+ in Az. I have done what I set out to do, so it is time to let the bike go. I put over $8,000.00 into it and all I want to get is $5,000.00 for it. I have a completely restored stock '76 tank that has never been on the bike that goes with it. The rest of the bike is still near perfect condition with a few minors scuff on the ignition side cover and some paint worn off the clutch side cover. I put 3m paint protecting film over the forks and down tube and I am happy to say they came out perfect after three days of racing.

As expected there are a few very minor light scratches on the plastic, but I very diligently spent hours ceramic coating every part of the bike - plastic, cables, every nut bolt spring, levers, bars, grips, rims, spokes, hubs - everything and it shows. There is absolutely zero oxidizing on any of the metal parts. They all still look new.

Anyways, I haven't officially put it up for sale, but I hope to list it in a few weeks on the usual places - Marks Vintage Swap meet, Face Book groups - Honda Elsinore 73-80, Honda CR Elsinore Two Strokes, Elsinore 73-81 and Vintage Motorcycle, Parts & Memorabilia For Sale Group. I am putting the word out now to a few friends and racers as I hope to avoid all the calls from people who aren't serious buyers when I list it publicly.

So to answer your question... Yes, you can store it in your shop... but it's going to cost you... lol

|

10/22/2020 2:05 PM

Hasletjoe wrote:

jakefortyeight wrote:

Ha! If my wife knew what I spent on that thing I would have two black eyes! The parts you see on the bike that look like Ti came form Phil Denton Engineering in Whales. Stevie Denton, Phil's son made the parts for me at special request. I decided not to go with Ti as the bike $$$ was adding up fast. The parts are stainless steel. Also, some of the dished bolts and nuts are from SpecBolts. Those parts are nickel plated.

These were the two jetting specs I used as a guideline. They should work for either a 34 or 32 Mikuni
Joe Newman's
slide 2.5
needle 6dh2 clip 2nd from top
needle jet 159Q0
pilot 35
main 300

Harry Klemms DG
Slide 2.5
Needle 6F5
Needle Jet 159Q2
Pilot 40
Main 280
1/2 Turn out on air screw

I ended up using the Joe Newmann's recommendations as that was the set up that worked best in my bike. I did call and speak to Harry Klemm. He was honest when we spoke and said, I know those are my specs, but I truthfully I don't remember anything specifically from that time.

On Joe Newmann's specs I ended up running a 270 main jet at Glen Helen. GH is at 2,200 ft in elevation and it was 100' temps for the race so I went a little on the lean side. I think a 300 main is pretty fat (maybe on a cold day at sea level it would work). I ran 110 VP mixed with 87 leaded alcohol free gas. I mixed 2 parts VP to 1 part 87 leaded. The bike ripped on essentially a 2nd over barrel, with only slight clean up done to the ports. The air screw was about 1/4 to 1/2 out.

As far as keeping the bike in your shop goes... We can definitely work something out! I built the bike to race it and sell it. I have now raced it at GH and I raced an Arizona Vintage Racing Association in Casa Grande. I won GP1 125 Expert 60+ and took 2nd in GP1 Open Expert 60+ in Az. I have done what I set out to do, so it is time to let the bike go. I put over $8,000.00 into it and all I want to get is $5,000.00 for it. I have a completely restored stock '76 tank that has never been on the bike that goes with it. The rest of the bike is still near perfect condition with a few minors scuff on the ignition side cover and some paint worn off the clutch side cover. I put 3m paint protecting film over the forks and down tube and I am happy to say they came out perfect after three days of racing.

As expected there are a few very minor light scratches on the plastic, but I very diligently spent hours ceramic coating every part of the bike - plastic, cables, every nut bolt spring, levers, bars, grips, rims, spokes, hubs - everything and it shows. There is absolutely zero oxidizing on any of the metal parts. They all still look new.

Anyways, I haven't officially put it up for sale, but I hope to list it in a few weeks on the usual places - Marks Vintage Swap meet, Face Book groups - Honda Elsinore 73-80, Honda CR Elsinore Two Strokes, Elsinore 73-81 and Vintage Motorcycle, Parts & Memorabilia For Sale Group. I am putting the word out now to a few friends and racers as I hope to avoid all the calls from people who aren't serious buyers when I list it publicly.

So to answer your question... Yes, you can store it in your shop... but it's going to cost you... lol

I'm interested and serious, sent you a PM

|

10/22/2020 7:48 PM

neverwas wrote:

I'm interested and serious, sent you a PM

I responded yesterday via PM

|