1st Track day after resto today

cvm
Hello to the group Smile Im an old coot; quit mx in 85; road racin in 90. Got urge to forgo all my addictions, get in shape again and go racin! Got basket 92 YZ125 (4 stroke just aint workin for me). Last night, 3rd time started/1st driven; up and down damp street almost dark was eye opening!! Understatement.....fired 3rd kick. Ya'll shoulda seenthis carb I (so far) brought back. Hell whole bike been in damp shed 10+ years dormant. Hours @ wire wheel. Totally stoked though; NO exhaust, cooling, oil, leaks so far. Forgot comp. tester @ work again but feels good. You guys will get pics when the graphics are done. Didn't detail process too much and im building a racer not a show piece. Sorry to babble, wife sleepin and im jacked. Needed a break from the finishing touches......

Wish me Luck Smile - Mark
& yea, its oem Magenta.

Hopefully positive progress report to follow.

|
2/27/2017 3:17am
Few better feelings in life than when a project motor roars to life after some sweat equity and years of neglect.! I hear the birth of your child is supposedly close.. Good luck!! I've got a 1992 RT100 in my garage with the same magenta graphic scheme, so I know the look well! (it was my first bike)
cvm
2/27/2017 3:17pm
F150! My Man! 258 views & you're the only one to respond to the noob. Even if I was at Cedar Ridge Va in 1975 on a new XR in my 1st race; crashed in 4th & broke thumb Sad .. Guess my post count excludes me from the club Sad

We are in for various responses on the magenta. cant wait. esp from a fat old fart (my class) on a new 450 4t w/ $2k in race tech shit & I rail his azz on the outside @ 10k screamin . How does the rear side of my pink JT jersey look?

Best wishes on the RT.

Mark
tuggy450
2/27/2017 6:24pm
Haha mark way to go have fun loved the magenta, yz's. pics or it didn't happen. just kidding....when your ready get the 90 cylinder and head have it ported , was the way to go back in the day

The Shop

cvm
2/28/2017 2:01am
tuggy450 wrote:
Haha mark way to go have fun loved the magenta, yz's. pics or it didn't happen. just kidding....when your ready get the 90 cylinder and head...
Haha mark way to go have fun loved the magenta, yz's. pics or it didn't happen. just kidding....when your ready get the 90 cylinder and head have it ported , was the way to go back in the day
Thx tuggy, I've learned that down the line. To hear experience from guys like you "back in the day" is priceless. Needed crank/cyl/powervalve and I went 92. Next time def gonna do a 90 assy. Did get a virgin 91 head though per wrench report. What did you guys do to the forks? I got 10w / middle level & initially so stiff was sCARY. Have wrong shifter (ordered oem) & rear brake pedal must be bent more than I thought. Relationship between pegs/levers impossible & (junk) shifter started to spin so packed up. Shift shaft splines don't need ANY more spins. Thx man
cvm
2/28/2017 2:05am
jammin76tx wrote:
[img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1617/26379540522_7a48a2982b_b.jpg[/img]
Yea Baby!! I got to practice w/him in mid 80's he was travelling somewhere & knew a shoe I hung with. Was a little guy, nice, and flew............
Think that's a 93? Purple seat cover? But close enough for jazz man. Thanks Smile
tuggy450
2/28/2017 5:21pm Edited Date/Time 2/28/2017 5:32pm
cvm I would track down clark jones at noleen . Not so sure if Yamaha fixed the forks at all in 92 but 91 had a crazy mid stroke harshness like a clank. Noleen racing set up forks ohlins shock, on a yz250 I rode and it was really nice. Before they worked on the forks could rip your hand off the bars on a even a medium hit, just weird. Base valve kit I think is what they called it. They would be able to get that set up for you. 10 wt fork oil sounds like too much, 5 wt or lighter. Almost all of those bikes came overdamped and undersprung. I would go lighter weight oil stiffer springs but I am a bit heavier than the average 125 rider. If noleen can do it for you I'd just let them handle it.. Motor mods? maybe you don't have to swap over to the 90 stuff, check out this link, should give you some ideas anyway. enjoy

http://www.eric-gorr.com/files/pdfs/model_tuning_tips_yamaha.pdf

oh just some other things I remember, the yamaha brake pads were junk back then, switched to ebc lasted much longer like 4x as long the levers were junk switched out to honda clutch lever perch, think even the brake lever fit. get new factory clutch springs while your at it the old ones are probably done.

Post a reply to: 1st Track day after resto today

The Latest