1997 KX250 Restoration - UPDATED

12/18/2013 5:25am
Sure did, looks like you cleaned out the Pro Circuit stock worldwide. Wink

Well, Started the 02 kx125 tonight. I used the same suspect plug that came with the bike and sure enough it started but wouldn't rev out cleanly and eventually stopped after a few minutes. I changed the plug for a new one and woohoo, the engine runs fine and revs out up top cleanly.

Not too bad a bike for $650 + a spark plug.

There is some bad news though.
I can hear the spring rattling around in one fork leg Unsure
Hopefully i wont find too much damage.
Kidkawie
2/8/2014 5:39am
Any updates?

Just noticed a four choke fender on that 02.
2/9/2014 4:04am
Well, i blew up the 2002 125cc. I was pushing it pretty hard to keep up with mate on my CRF450 and seized the lower conrod bearing in the crank.... bugger. So thats just sitting there for now, not sure what im going to do with it.

I havent done too much on the 97, but will ramp it up now since ive finished work on the 89 kx125 thats now for sale.

On the 97, Ive rebuilt the engine, soda blasted the cases and painted the cylinder and put it together with the replated bolts.
Through a bit of testing, i figured out what the electrical issue was. The pickup coil on the stator was no good, so i wired in a replacement which seems to work well so far. The kawasaki Green powdercoat has arrived from the States, so the frame will be going out this week. When thats back, the rest of it should be back together pretty quickly which is good because i need to practice and get it and me ready for the races which arent too far away.

Hows your 94 going Kidkawie, your ride pics looks cool.
notme
2/9/2014 9:40am
What paint did you use on the cylinder? Looks like your clutch cover could use some.
On a 02 kx frame I used an epoxy appliance paint (silver/nickle) as reccomended by kidkawie, and it has held up extremely well.

The Shop

2/9/2014 5:50pm
I used this, hopefully it does the job.

Yeah the clutch cover could be better, but im probably going to get some matching boyesen covers when its time for a bit of bling.
Kidkawie
2/10/2014 6:13am
Matt, that 89 is looking sweet! Nice job on that engine too! The staining on the outer clutch cover might come off with some strong mag wheel cleaner or aluminum brightener. Zepalume is one brand. They have muriatic acid.

Nothing new on my '94. I want to setup the suspension for sure. but I'm not going to ride the bike alot so that's on the back burner. I've been modding my 76 KX125. I gained an inch on height and some travel, made up a modern chain guide system too. http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n248/Jeekinz/76%20KX125/IMG_6595.jpg
2/11/2014 12:01am
Thanks mate, i tried mag wheel cleaner already, but it didnt do too much. i might give it a go with the aluminium brightener.
Well, watch this space. i just learnt that ive only got six week before the first ride, so im gonna get cracking on this 97. just need someone to buy the 125cc so i can free up the cash.

nice work on the 76 model, it looks really good and must handle a bit better now after your mods.
2/11/2014 12:58am
Hey kidkawie,
I saw that you recommended a late model kx front master cylinder to improve the braking on the older kx's. was it 2005 and upwards that are the ones to get? The brakes on the 02 kx125 i have arent any better than the mid 90's kx's were. I'll try a new master cylinder first, if thats not enough, then i might get and oversize disc too.

I like the 260mm disc on my crf450, strong but still with good feel.
Kidkawie
2/11/2014 7:08am Edited Date/Time 2/11/2014 7:10am
Use the 2004+ front master cylinder. should be alot from 04-05 KX/RM 250F's. (lol)

The chip in the fork lug won't hurt anything if you leave it as-is. Sometimes you find just the lower legs for sale on Ebay. You can also try calling a few suspension shops.

There's also these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-KAWASAKI-KX125-FRONT-FORK-BRAKE-LINE-COVER…

Looks like a broken fork guard bolt too, I would just ditch that leg for a replacement.
smx94
2/11/2014 12:37pm Edited Date/Time 2/11/2014 1:00pm
dont worry about the chip,leave it till you can get a new leg.i also got a polisport disc guard for mine it will protect the brake line as well.
i found rm250 99-2000 fork guards also fit so you could use them and route a shorter brake line honda style.for best results use a honda cr master cylinder,braided lines and new fluid
smx94
2/11/2014 1:00pm
Kidkawie
2/12/2014 8:24am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2014 8:25am
smx94 wrote:
dont worry about the chip,leave it till you can get a new leg.i also got a polisport disc guard for mine it will protect the brake...
dont worry about the chip,leave it till you can get a new leg.i also got a polisport disc guard for mine it will protect the brake line as well.
i found rm250 99-2000 fork guards also fit so you could use them and route a shorter brake line honda style.for best results use a honda cr master cylinder,braided lines and new fluid
The L models had the mushy front brakes. If you just swap with a 04+ master (or even an older one) they work fine. Honda and Kawasaki all use the same Nissin master cylinders.

Nice looking bike!
2/18/2014 4:17am
Thanks guys.

yeah, the CR master cylinder was the remedy back in the day, however i wonder if the late KX's are as good now. If they are it gives me more options when trying to find a good second hand one.

For anyone who needs to repair their tank, heres what i did. My tank had been melted from when the pipe was hit and was pushed up into the tank.

I read on the net that the KX tanks are most likely made from HDPE (High-density polyethylene). I found a fork oil bottle that i had marked with HDPE which is also denoted by the number 2 in the triangle in the pic below.

I washed the tank and oil bottle thoroughly and dried it. Then i cut some strips off the bottle and using a heat gun, heated both the tank (first) and the strip til they became soft. I then used a soldering iron to melt the strip into the tank and blend in the edges.

And the final result came out pretty good but i think i actually put too much on.

2/18/2014 4:30am
I got the frame back from the powdercoater. Its come out pretty good, but the colour is probably a shade light. Im not too fussed about it, i just want to build the damn thing. i re-tapped all the holes and knocked in the bearing races and dropped in the engine.

Kidkawie
2/18/2014 7:03am
Looking good! Nice job on the tank. I tried to polish my 94 tank but no way that was happening. I sprayed it with black plastic paint and it's been holding up real good. Have had gas in it for 2 years now.
docweedon
2/21/2014 3:50pm
Nice build so far! I have a 1996 KX250 that used to be Mike Keidrowski's practice bike.

I put on a V-Force3 and a PC pipe. I used to have an FMF fatty on there and I felt the FMF was a better overall pipe.

I will have to try your gas tank patch, as I have a hole in the same spot!
2/22/2014 3:49pm
hey doc, nice looking bike. did you find any factory bits on it when you got it. What does the factory do to the practice bikes to make them worthy of the pro's?

I originally bought an FMF pipe because ive read that elsewhere, but i thought it would be blasphemous to run an FMF pipe on a PC replica. When i kit the bike up as the 97 factory Emig look, I'll run the FMF then.

The tank patch works well, thats the second tank ive done now as they all seem to have the same issue on the K models.

I finished soda blasting all the remaining parts, but Im taking a step backwards on the build. With all this talk about the right Kawasaki green colour, I have decided to repaint the frame.

brysgrfx
Fantasy
617th
3/4/2014 9:42pm

MadMatt, I found these in the garage after I looked at this thread, you have a very cool rebuild going. Hope the photos uploaded.
3/5/2014 3:19am
Wow, very nice. Are you looking at selling them? Let me know if you are.

Im working with Evo-MX, Frank has kindly offered me sponsorship to run his graphics at the races which is fantastic. Ive got all the bike parts now, just waiting on the graphics.

Ive had a bit of a setback with the powdercoating though. The second coat that was put on by the powdercoater is flaking off, so now i am waiting to get it back after having the top coat sandblasted off so i can paint the frame. Once the frames done, everything else is ready to bolt up.

3/8/2014 1:50am
One step closer.....wheels built and frame repainted.

3/9/2014 2:08pm
Mate this is looking amazing.

Are you still wanting to sell the 95?
3/10/2014 3:52am
Yep, the 95 will be up for sale very soon. I'll send you a PM when its ready, probably another month away.

Well, i put in a marathon effort this weekend.......here's the results.

3/10/2014 4:31am

Here's a video of the first time its been started in 12 years.

Kidkawie
3/10/2014 5:28am
Nice!
3/10/2014 6:58pm
Thanks guys, i'll be taking it out for a ride this weekend so i'll let you know how it goes. Its too bad the graphics aren't in yet, this is the best its ever going to look.

Kidkawie, the aluminium cleaner worked well on the clutch cover. I didnt want the polished look, so i just gave it a light scrub with some steel wool. Also, i put some fresh fluid in the brakes, so far they actually feel pretty good, not mushy at all.

I put the FMF pipe on for this first practice ride as i'll run the PC pipe with the PC graphics for the first race. Ive used the recommended jetting specs, 45 pilot/160 main & went 3rd clip on the stock needle instead of 2nd clip (fmf)........any thoughts?
ledger
3/10/2014 10:56pm
That's a beauty and sing's like one too.Very nice,great job.
3/11/2014 12:51am
Which track you heading to? Bit on this weekend but may be able to pop over for a look - be good to put a face to the name and check this bad boy out!

Post a reply to: 1997 KX250 Restoration - UPDATED

The Latest