1997 KX250 Restoration - UPDATED

Edited Date/Time 4/10/2018 8:32pm
After seeing all the restoration builds on here, I've decided to start my own.

I picked up a 1997 KX250 3 days ago off Ebay. The guy had it at a staring price of $300 and a description saying that it had sat in a shed for the last 12 years. The guy said there was a lot of interest on it, but since i got in first he would sell it to me prior to auction. So I was able to pick it up for $850 which was pretty cheap considering i bought a 94 KX250 six months ago for $1500 and had to ship it to me for another $500.

I should have taken a photo of how it was stored, which was pretty crappy. There was a pile of junk in his garage with some of it stored on top of the bike. It wasnt on a stand either and looked like it had never been washed. This guy was the second owner. There was even chunks of grass stuck in it. The radiators were damaged, repaired and never put back on the bike. The receipt for the repair was still there, it was dated 6th Dec 2002. So it was legit, the bike had been sitting for 11 years!

In light of this i had to take a punt and buy it. here's how it looked before i washed 11 years of crap off it.

There's a few things to repair:
Kick starter shaft is broken off, but i found a new shaft still in the packet in the airbox.
Rims are badly buckled.
There's some electrical fault which explains why all the wires are pulled out.
Pipe has been cracked and welded up, will try to tweak it back into shape and clean up.

I think its still on its original front tyre and rear sprocket though, so thats good.

Now here's how it looks after being washed thoroughly.

Now let the rebuilding begin!
|
Kidkawie
11/16/2013 6:10pm
Good luck man! Cant wait to see progress. Loving all the green in your shop!
11/16/2013 7:18pm
Wow, that looks good. Man I just love the 90's Kawasaki's. Everything looks so bland now. 1997 was the last good looking year. They got very generic after 1998
11/17/2013 3:29am
Ok, tore down the bike and here's what i found. thats not the engine for this bike, its for a 89 KX125 i got to sell.

Mechanically, its all in very good condition. Swingarm is tight as are the wheels. The front floating brake disc has hardly any slop on the rivets and the disc themselves are dead flat. Forks are great with no sideways movement as is the shock. However i have a suspicion that the fork springs have sagged after having sat for so long since the bike was not kept on a stand. Brakes seem in great nick too. Frame is straight, but needs a paint. Footpegs arent too sloppy, but i might change them anyway.

And now to the engine.

check out how sweet this clutch is for a 17 year old bike.

The piston and barrel are the same, sweet as. I think its the original Kawasaki piston and theres hardly any wear. Do you guys think i need to change the piston? It looks pretty good to me, so I was thinking of just putting new rings in it.

The crank is also sweet as theres no vertical slop at all.

The cylinder is also in great condition, again minimal wear. the only thing i found is that the flapper power valve is hanging down in the exhaust stream even when fully opened. I'll fix that up when i trim the side valves to the right size.

So far, im very pleased that my gamble has paid off. There was an almost new bike hiding under all that dirt.

11/17/2013 3:41am
Does anyone have the 97 Factory KX graphics and seat cover as below that they are willing to sell to me? I'll even take a look at a good condition used seat cover, as im going to race this bike but new is prefered.

The Shop

burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
11/17/2013 8:34am
Man, it looked good just washing it. If you going to do a rebuild, I would replace the piston and put it together if the crank is still okay. That clutch basket hardly looks used - no grooves at all. That bike has been babied.
11/23/2013 10:04pm
Wow this was a hell of a find! Looks damn tidy well done.

I am after a nice factory original seat if you are going down the aftermarket path. Happy to even just buy the cover.

Keep the updates coming.
11/25/2013 11:19am
Thanks guys. Seems I missed out on the oem shrouds. Bugger.

Sorry kawasaki1996 im keeping the seat but I did see a good one on eBay so keep a look out.

Frame is ready for sand blasting and the bolts will get sent out for plating this week.
Kidkawie
11/25/2013 11:55am
Wow this was a hell of a find! Looks damn tidy well done. I am after a nice factory original seat if you are going down...
Wow this was a hell of a find! Looks damn tidy well done.

I am after a nice factory original seat if you are going down the aftermarket path. Happy to even just buy the cover.

Keep the updates coming.
Ceet makes purple covers with just Kawasaki on the sides, but they have the Ceet logo on the back. You might be able to carefully remove it.
smx94
11/25/2013 2:08pm Edited Date/Time 11/25/2013 2:21pm
theres a guy called doc wob in england who has some pro circuit seat covers for sale in his ebay shop,he also has pc clutch covers.i just bought a 1997 kx 250 from him that came from hollywood and was used in a film for about an hour ,its pretty much as new except for a few scuffs on the swingarm.i am going to race it in our super evo class, that is for bikes from 1990 to 1999. had to replace the original bridgestone tyres as they were perished, also replacing grips and fitting braided steel brake lines and new fluid and may be a honda front master cylinder to improve the brakes.got some heavier fork springs to fit too.will put some pics.
11/26/2013 5:39pm
I tried emailing him a while ago, but i haven't got a response yet.

That hollywood bike was an amazing find, virtually brand new. Definitely put some pics up, will be great to see.

Im after some advice, should i paint or powdercoat the frame? What are the pros and cons?

smx94
11/28/2013 2:16pm
powdercoat is tougher looks better and lasts longer,but it all wears off in the end.i am going to put grip tape on the frame to try and stop it wearing so quick.
those works forks are interesting,they used air sub tanks on emigs and tortellis,but they are not on those forks.theres a u.s website called vintage mx or something similar that i saw some pictures of fred bolleys gp bike from 96 with boyeseen link rear suspension and i think it had the same sub tank forks.
your kx has done very little maybe 20 hours tops.it looks to still have stock graphics and chain and sprocket,neither of which lasted more than about 10 hours of hard racing.
11/28/2013 5:59pm
Yeah, im leaning towards powder coating too.

What really sparked my interest when i saw the ebay ad was that it had the stock graphics and seat cover (no tears) still. Any bike that still has the stock graphics after so long couldn't be that worn. It hasnt been ridden hard, but there are still a few dings on the fork uppers that i will have to cover up with some stickers and the rims are shot, but everything is still quite tight.

I bought this seat cover to bling it up a bit.

11/28/2013 6:25pm
That thing looks pretty damn good to be 16 years old! I wish I could find one like that in my area
Kidkawie
12/2/2013 6:39am
I was going to pick up that cover, but I thought I was turning into a hoarder so I changed my mind. lol Can't wait to see it on the bike!
12/3/2013 3:00am
I picked up the last two of them, im a hoarder too. I almost bought a 98 kx125, so i thought i'd make them twins.

But ive got a bit of a problem. I spent a heap of money on the 95 kx250, but since i found this 97 (which was a great year for the 250) thats the bike i want to keep. I thought of converting the 95 model into a 125, which would be awesome as thats the exact bike i had back in the day. But i cant find an engine to transplant in.

If anyone in Oz wants to swap a 250 engine for a 125, let me know.
12/11/2013 6:17pm
Ok, ive decided on replicating this Pro Circuit KX250.

I just bought this used but good condition works pipe to bring back to life.

Wiseco piston kit has arrived and all the hardware has been replated.
12/11/2013 7:29pm
If you need some help with anything let me know.
Check out the 2000 Pro Circuit KX250 build on here. That was the last one I built.
Kidkawie
12/12/2013 7:42am Edited Date/Time 12/12/2013 7:43am
EVO has the 97 kit done, just working out some issues with the seat cover.

12/12/2013 6:32pm
Thanks for the offer 718, your last Pro Circuit build is simply a thing of beauty, awesome work.

Hey DJFMXpro, looks like we got in the right boat cause its motoring along now. Kidkawie beat me to it, as he said Evo have the 97 kits done but are trialing a new production process for the seat. Frank (EVO) said they will be ready in a few weeks.

Frank also said that they are well on the way with the 96 & 98 Pro Circuit kits too. So you should be able to sort out a few more of those bike you have planned. And wow, with that list of bikes, you're going to rival Pro Circuit themselves!
barkhard696
12/12/2013 7:04pm
>I need those forks for a 1994 splitfire kx125 build.

Well good luck that used to be my bike and the forks were swapped long ago for some other work. So they're gone. Try Emig Racing if you're serious about getting a set, Gary may still have some left over. You've going to have to pay a fortune if he does, though.
12/16/2013 5:45pm
Wow mate, looks great. You sure spent some moola. Have you seen the rest of the gear he's put up for sale? very nice but a bit pricey for me. Plus i intend to race the bikes i build, so im ok with buying the revamped kits from EVO. If i trash them, i can replace them.

I only had the idea of restoring a bike 6 months ago, but im obsessed now. I just bought a 2002 KX125 for $650 which is quite cheap here. Its not been looked after very well, but it hasn't had too hard a life and will clean up quite good. Mainly cosmetics and the swingarm bearing to replace. Im going to try my hand at porting the barrel (its stock and not been touched) since from what ive read, the 2002 kx125 is a bit of a sleeper which you need to wake up a bit. The bike came with a rusty PC works pipe, so thats good.
cheers.

12/17/2013 4:26am
I've got to stop buying stuff, but i just had to have this Simple Green graphics and seat kit to go with my 2002 KX125.

Do any of you guys have any tips or findings on mods for this bike? I would love to hear them. Basically the bike is stock but does have a works pipe that i'll need to remove the dents from. One of the CF reeds is chipped on the corner, so i will have to replace that or am i better off getting an aftermarket reed kit? I would like to give the bike more topend power and from all the reviews ive read, it doesnt have much in stock trim.

Kawiekid, i saw your race tuning bulletin for the 2001 kx125, do you have the 2002 bulletin?

cheers.
12/17/2013 4:52am
Mate where are you finding all these cheap bikes! Haha, another nice pickup!

Last time I rode a 125 was a 94 KX back in 96. Doubt a 125 would have enough mumbo to lug my 90kg frame around.

Hope you haven't sold that 95 yet Wink
12/17/2013 5:43am
Well im 87kg now, so i'll let ya know how it goes, taking it down to the track this Sunday.

Ive had a good look over the bike now, its actually in decent condition. The engine is still in great nick although the cases have been painted black. Will have to remove that. The engine was pulled apart when i bought it, they said it just stopped and wouldnt start. Now that ive put it back together, i can tell you there is nothing wrong with the engine. i think it was just a faulty spark plug. Well we'll see tomorrow when i try to start it.

The 95 will be going up for sale early next year, I need the funds to complete these two.
Kidkawie
12/17/2013 5:55am
Some nice pick-ups there.

Watch installing the old graphics on those L models. The lower skinny part on the shroud usually unsticks itself. They come with "locking tabs" but they don't do squat.

Post a reply to: 1997 KX250 Restoration - UPDATED

The Latest