1996 CR250R front end questions

Related:
Create New Tag

6/3/2018 9:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/3/2018 9:19 AM

I’m late to the party as far as these steely Honda’s but I’ve recently picked up a 96 CR250 that I’m going through right now. I’m going to do some vintage racing with it in the future. I’ve read a lot of forums and threads but have seen conflicting information regarding what forks and clamps fit the 96. If anyone knows the answers to a couple questions I have I’d really appreciate it.

What year Honda top clamp will fit? The 96 stock clamps are one piece with the bar mount so I’ve thought about going to an early 2000’s stock top clamp since it’s rubber mounted and cheap on eBay.

Will the showa forks from the later CR250 fit these stock clamps? I’ve read some people say the bottom clamp needs to be shimmed and others say the 96 clamp doesn’t.

I’m planning on just getting the stock KYB stuff rebuilt but the showa forks look a lot better.

|

6/3/2018 12:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/3/2018 12:42 PM

Do yourself a favor and go for a set of Showa Twin Chamber's from a 04-08 CR/CRF. I just put some from a 08 CRF450 on the 96 250 I picked up this past year. In stock form, the twin chamber forks are far superior to the stock 96 KYBs. Get them valved and sprung for your weight/speed, and they'll be just as good as any modern fork out there (non-kit). As far as compatibility, here's the low down:

- Perfect fit in the '96 upper clamp, bottom clamp needs to be shimmed .010"
- You'll need the left side wheel spacer (the side with the grey dust cap on it), the caliper mount/hanger, and front axle from a 04-08. I went ahead and upgraded to the whole 2008 caliper, disc and master cylinder.

As far as the bigger bar thing goes, yea you can find some Applied clamps or like you said, go with stockers from a later year; but I can't speak to the compatibility quirks if there are any, as I haven't gone down that road.

I picked up my forks, etc from a local kid parting out a blown 450.. keep an eye on Craigslist Motorcycle Parts section, not too hard to find someone parting out a bike with the stuff you need

Photo

Photo

^^^^pic of the piece of .010" aluminum in the lower clamp to shim it properly

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

6/3/2018 4:18 PM

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

6/3/2018 5:22 PM

Thanks guys. F150, bike looks great.

I ordered a kit from throttle jockey but the bike came with an original kit on it from nstyle. Everything on the shroud is the same except it has HRC instead of FOX. Also the Honda is day glow.

|