1996 CR250 McGrath Replica Rebuild

MCfan4life
11/8/2011 6:51pm Edited Date/Time 11/8/2011 8:00pm
MCfan4life wrote:
It would be interesting to see if there is even a 'shop' there Cam. It's probably nothing more than a website these days by the sound...
It would be interesting to see if there is even a 'shop' there Cam.

It's probably nothing more than a website these days by the sound of it.
CamP wrote:
The physical address listed on the website is a residential address. I found an online resume for Scott Atkins and it lists him as working for...
The physical address listed on the website is a residential address. I found an online resume for Scott Atkins and it lists him as working for a design company in Denver so he may still live at the old Platicwerks address.
OK. Back to the shed I go. I've got a silencer to make...
MCfan4life
11/8/2011 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 11/8/2011 8:01pm
I just got an email from Scott Atkins (Plasticwerks owner)!!!! I feel like I just tracked down Bin Laden!

Anyway, unfortunately, he said, "it has been difficult to maintain Plasticwerks in today's economy", which is totally understandable. Such a shame though. Oh well, on to plan B...
MCfan4life
11/9/2011 12:38am
OK, here it is.

When the bike is finished I'll take it out in the sun and take some proper pics of it. Whilst it is black carbon fibre, it's not quite as dark as it appears in these pics.

The silencer was shortened approx 2", just in line with rear mount.
MCfan4life
11/9/2011 12:46am
Not a lot to go now. I still have to install the chain, do the fluids (not fuel), install the frame guards and skid plate, install the new Throttle Jockey graphics when they arrive and that's about it. Oh I'm also going to use the 3M Carbon wrap to re-do the airbox.

And then I'll get it out of my cluttered garage and take some quality pics.

And I will do the oversize brake upgrade also as soon as I find a good rear 97-99 disc and caliper bracket.

The Shop

nine1seven
11/9/2011 9:43am
Well Col your setting the bar high so I have to bring out the big guns! I'm going to switch it up 95 Henry style.

I've been sitting on the actual 1995 Team Honda Graphics that I picked up years ago. These are the extra unused stuff that could very well have ended up on the factory CR's. These aren't the digital printed reproductions they are selling now where you have to buy a darker colored seat cover to match the graphics. These are silk screened so they are the actual florescent color that matches the OE plastic and seat. I also got the name plates for MC, Lamson and Henry. Everything but the seat cover to make a Henry Replica is there. The factory seat cover was made in Japan by Honda and I haven't been able to find one.

Col, you should ask how many would have to be made to justify using the silk screen process rather than printing them. The difference is very big for sure.

Here's a pic:
Photobucket
CamP
11/9/2011 10:27am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2011 10:29am
nine1seven wrote:
Well Col your setting the bar high so I have to bring out the big guns! I'm going to switch it up 95 Henry style. I've...
Well Col your setting the bar high so I have to bring out the big guns! I'm going to switch it up 95 Henry style.

I've been sitting on the actual 1995 Team Honda Graphics that I picked up years ago. These are the extra unused stuff that could very well have ended up on the factory CR's. These aren't the digital printed reproductions they are selling now where you have to buy a darker colored seat cover to match the graphics. These are silk screened so they are the actual florescent color that matches the OE plastic and seat. I also got the name plates for MC, Lamson and Henry. Everything but the seat cover to make a Henry Replica is there. The factory seat cover was made in Japan by Honda and I haven't been able to find one.

Col, you should ask how many would have to be made to justify using the silk screen process rather than printing them. The difference is very big for sure.

Here's a pic:
Photobucket
That's some good stuff DJ! I've spoken with Mick at Speed Graffixs and he looked at my silk screened 96 shroud graphics. He thinks he can accurately reproduce the nuclear red with his printer. He asked me to bring him some OEM plastic to do test prints for comparison.
Banana_oil
11/9/2011 10:33am
nine1seven wrote:
Well Col your setting the bar high so I have to bring out the big guns! I'm going to switch it up 95 Henry style. I've...

Here's a pic:
Photobucket
Sweet graphics! Would anyone of you mind scanning your rear fender decal and send me a copy? I want a fender decal to my CR but TJ doesn't seem to sell that one separately so I probably have to ask a garphics company to do it for me.

Bu the way, I guess the 95 factory seat cover will be hard to find?
MCfan4life
11/9/2011 4:41pm
Banana_oil wrote:
Sweet graphics! Would anyone of you mind scanning your rear fender decal and send me a copy? I want a fender decal to my CR but...
Sweet graphics! Would anyone of you mind scanning your rear fender decal and send me a copy? I want a fender decal to my CR but TJ doesn't seem to sell that one separately so I probably have to ask a garphics company to do it for me.

Bu the way, I guess the 95 factory seat cover will be hard to find?
Here's the 96 rear fender graphics. These are the original design from the start of the 96 season. After the first few rounds they changed the Dunlop logos to solid letters, not an outline. Same on the fork guards too.

MCfan4life
11/9/2011 4:54pm
nine1seven wrote:

Here's a pic:
Photobucket
F*ck the graphics DJ, I'm eyeing off that front number plate!!!

Just kidding of course. Yeah the colour on those is certainly a lot brighter. Interestingly enough, Throttle Jockey made the graphics for Honda in 95 so, theoretically speaking, they should be able to reproduce it.

You did well to score those graphics! I'll email TJ about the silk screening process.

In regards to the seat cover, if you could get the right base colour, it would be relatively ease to mask and paint the design on it. Getting the right base colour would be difficult though. From my years as a Honda parts manager, I know that if you order an OEM seat cover from Honda they are plain, not printed. In saying that, if you ordered a 96 seat cover (which would be the right colour) I'm not sure if it will have the black on the front of the cover near the tank or not...
MCfan4life
11/9/2011 5:02pm Edited Date/Time 11/9/2011 5:24pm
Again, does anybody have an old 92-96 rear guard (in any colour) laying around that they don't want? I need to get one to Throttle Jockey so they can do a 1 piece rear decal for it. I'd be happy to re-imburse you shipping costs through paypal and pay for the fender also if you like.

If not I will just have to go with the 3 piece rear fender decal. Which I guess would be more authentic. But I worry that over time, as the plastics or graphics fade, this mis-matched colours become more obvious with the 3 piece decal. Thoughts anyone?
nine1seven
11/9/2011 7:37pm Edited Date/Time 11/9/2011 7:40pm
MCfan4life wrote:
Again, does anybody have an [b]old[/b] 92-96 rear guard (in any colour) laying around that they don't want? I need to get one to Throttle Jockey...
Again, does anybody have an old 92-96 rear guard (in any colour) laying around that they don't want? I need to get one to Throttle Jockey so they can do a 1 piece rear decal for it. I'd be happy to re-imburse you shipping costs through paypal and pay for the fender also if you like.

If not I will just have to go with the 3 piece rear fender decal. Which I guess would be more authentic. But I worry that over time, as the plastics or graphics fade, this mis-matched colours become more obvious with the 3 piece decal. Thoughts anyone?
I have an old beater rear fender I could send, but seriously, I would go with the three piece deal for a few reasons: I wouldn't trust that you'll like the way they are oriented when you mount them on the fender for one, it's the way it was done back in the day for another, and last, I don't see them changing color on mine. I had the one piece version and I cut them apart because the dunlop side parts weren't correct. I've had mine on there for a couple years now and they haven't changed color. Let me know if you want me to send the fender to them, though and I will. You can see in the pic below that they still match the fender. The graphics on my 96 are digital prints and they match well outside, but indoor you can tell a difference. Ask them not to put any holes or anything in the tank portion since your not going to put gas in it anyway. Even if you did, I wouldn't expect any problems if you drain the tank after every ride.

Photobucket

I applied the factory stuff! I was really nervous that the adhesive would be weak after 16+ years, but they were better than any others that I have used. I splurged and bought a new oem tank and plastic because there was no way I was going to put it on aftermarket or used plastic.

Photobucket
MCfan4life
11/9/2011 9:32pm

They look awesome DJ. I'd have been too nervous to even stick them on myself Grinning

With your 96 MC replica, you used an OEM 97 CR125 tall seat from memory correct? And is that front fender OEM or UFO flouro red? The front number plate looks too white to be a Plasticwerks unit. Is that a UFO plate also or is it just the light in the photo?

Is the plan to turn your MC into a Henry replica, OR, do what I would do and find another bike and build another eplica so you have a matching pair Woohoo

I have emailed Throttle Jockey about the silk screening and am just waiting to hear back from them. They know not to punch holes in the tank decals and I will stick with the 3 piece fender decal too, thanks.

I've also just sent you an email about something Wink
nine1seven
11/10/2011 11:01am
It's the PW numberplate, oem 96 front fender and tall 97 125 seat. I'm going to turn my other 96 into a 95 replica when I get done riding it and have the matching pair.

Photobucket

I really like the feel of these old 95-96's. Compared to the 06 YZ250 I ride most of the time, the 96 feels much lighter and turns better. You have to use the clutch more out of the corners, though, as it doesn't pick up as fast off idle as the YZ. Otherwise the engines are pretty comparable.

I'm hoping CamP comes to Houston to moto on the old CR's!

Dj
MCfan4life
11/10/2011 5:03pm
CamP wrote:
That's some good stuff DJ! I've spoken with Mick at Speed Graffixs and he looked at my silk screened 96 shroud graphics. He thinks he can...
That's some good stuff DJ! I've spoken with Mick at Speed Graffixs and he looked at my silk screened 96 shroud graphics. He thinks he can accurately reproduce the nuclear red with his printer. He asked me to bring him some OEM plastic to do test prints for comparison.
Hey Cam keep us in the loop with how you go with the nuclear red printed graphics. If he can do it, I'd be up for a set for sure!!!
NESC838
11/11/2011 8:02pm
MCfan4life wrote:
Hey Cam keep us in the loop with how you go with the nuclear red printed graphics. If he can do it, I'd be up for...
Hey Cam keep us in the loop with how you go with the nuclear red printed graphics. If he can do it, I'd be up for a set for sure!!!
+1. I'd also be interested in a set of replica graphics based on how well they can reproduce the Nuclear Red color. My '95 CR is one bike I've always regretted selling, so I'm hoping to track one down in the future to rebuild like you all have done!

MCfan4life, I've admired your build for quite some time. Though I spend most of my time on Vital lurking, I wanted to let you know that I can appreciate the time and attention to details you've put into this project! Keep up the great work!
MCfan4life
11/15/2011 7:02am
MCfan4life wrote:
Hey Cam keep us in the loop with how you go with the nuclear red printed graphics. If he can do it, I'd be up for...
NESC838 wrote:
+1. I'd also be interested in a set of replica graphics based on how well they can reproduce the Nuclear Red color. My '95 CR is...
+1. I'd also be interested in a set of replica graphics based on how well they can reproduce the Nuclear Red color. My '95 CR is one bike I've always regretted selling, so I'm hoping to track one down in the future to rebuild like you all have done!

MCfan4life, I've admired your build for quite some time. Though I spend most of my time on Vital lurking, I wanted to let you know that I can appreciate the time and attention to details you've put into this project! Keep up the great work!
Thanks for the kind words. It's certainly been a labour of love Laughing
CamP
11/15/2011 8:54am
Sorry, I haven't been able to make it by Speed Graffix yet as last week was a total wipe out. I'll get over there in the next day or two.
MCfan4life
11/15/2011 6:35pm
CamP wrote:
Sorry, I haven't been able to make it by Speed Graffix yet as last week was a total wipe out. I'll get over there in the...
Sorry, I haven't been able to make it by Speed Graffix yet as last week was a total wipe out. I'll get over there in the next day or two.
All good Cam don't worry about it for me at least. I have made other arrangements. Thanks anyway.
MCfan4life
11/15/2011 8:50pm
Anybody purchased the decal (label) for the top of the radiator cap before? My cap is silver and I need to paint it black and buy the decal for it.

Going by the diagram I would have thought it was part #10 but the description for that part is a seal, which leads me to think it may be the rubber ring seal under the radiator cap. Any ideas anyone?

Banana_oil
11/25/2011 4:08pm
Did McGrath have a black radiator cap? My 96 have the decal but the cap itself is not painted.

By the way, I stumbled on this link 100% . Looks like he will only make clothes unfortunately...
MCfan4life
11/27/2011 3:39pm
Banana_oil wrote:
Did McGrath have a black radiator cap? My 96 have the decal but the cap itself is not painted. By the way, I stumbled on this...
Did McGrath have a black radiator cap? My 96 have the decal but the cap itself is not painted.

By the way, I stumbled on this link 100% . Looks like he will only make clothes unfortunately...
Yes MC's 96 bike had a black radiator cap. I might just order a new OEM cap and hope that it comes with a decal which I can remove, paint the cap black, and re-apply the decal.

Yes 100% are making a comback but at this stage they will be focussing on casual wear, not decals.

Not much progress lately unfortunately guys. I'm still waiting on a few more OEM parts to arrive, as well as my oversize rotors and graphics. I did pick up this little gem though. It's one of Jeremy's actual front number plates. The real McCoy...

I'm trying to find out what's happened to the brake hose guide. On the photo on the right you can see the support plate on the rear of the number plate but there are no screw holes evident from the front. I'm not sure if they have removed the guide and stuck a new decal on?
TeamGreen
11/28/2011 3:46pm
newmann wrote:
Do these help? Took these at the Cycle World Intl. bike show back in 08 in Houston. I had bikes in the show and had one...
Do these help? Took these at the Cycle World Intl. bike show back in 08 in Houston. I had bikes in the show and had one ticket per bike entered , you had to have one ticket per bike when you were hauling them out after the show. Hmmmmmmm, decisions, decisions.....Evil

I'm guessing this is the Silencer you want to "Reproduce"?

Damn, Aussie...have you been drinkin' and gettin' pissed at the Footie Club...AGAIN!?

Ok, after givin' ya shit I will say that it can proll'y be done w/ some FMF bits...I think that part is a Sankei w/ composite bits by Arai...of all things. And, it's a real P.O.S.! Lasts about an hour before it starts to discolor (W/ someone like J-Mac at the helm). T300 Plain-Weave carbon with Kevlar tracers...why? I have NO idea! The Japanese proll'y used what was around...that is the nuttiest material to pick for that application.

The internals can be made from a combination of 250/500 parts to meet the ol' HRC spec/look. I'll ask Big D about this next-week when I'm down there...keep your fingers crassed 'cause they've got some Ti bits.

You are a fuggin' nut.

I love this project (There's one JUST LIKE IT goin' on at P.C....but that one is Blue, I think...).

Has Jeremy seen this thing? You can proll'y get him to ride it...

Btw, that Yosh pipe on the 29 is an "Outdoor" Practice pipe. Daddy knows these things.
MCfan4life
11/28/2011 5:15pm
TeamGreen wrote:
I'm guessing this is the Silencer you want to "Reproduce"? Damn, Aussie...have you been drinkin' and gettin' pissed at the Footie Club...AGAIN!? Ok, after givin' ya...
I'm guessing this is the Silencer you want to "Reproduce"?

Damn, Aussie...have you been drinkin' and gettin' pissed at the Footie Club...AGAIN!?

Ok, after givin' ya shit I will say that it can proll'y be done w/ some FMF bits...I think that part is a Sankei w/ composite bits by Arai...of all things. And, it's a real P.O.S.! Lasts about an hour before it starts to discolor (W/ someone like J-Mac at the helm). T300 Plain-Weave carbon with Kevlar tracers...why? I have NO idea! The Japanese proll'y used what was around...that is the nuttiest material to pick for that application.

The internals can be made from a combination of 250/500 parts to meet the ol' HRC spec/look. I'll ask Big D about this next-week when I'm down there...keep your fingers crassed 'cause they've got some Ti bits.

You are a fuggin' nut.

I love this project (There's one JUST LIKE IT goin' on at P.C....but that one is Blue, I think...).

Has Jeremy seen this thing? You can proll'y get him to ride it...

Btw, that Yosh pipe on the 29 is an "Outdoor" Practice pipe. Daddy knows these things.

I think we both know who the nut is here 'Daddy' Tongue

All that talk about about carbon and kevlar products was double Dutch to me Huh so I have added these 2 pics which are the best pics I can find on his silencer.

MC saw it after my first rebuild but it was nowhere near as accurate in detail as this thing is now. I'll send you a PM with my direct email to make it easier to communicate the details of the silencer.

Col
MCfan4life
12/1/2011 3:13pm
Banana_oil wrote:
A seat with the 95 team seat cover on ebay:
1995 CR team honda seat
I wonder what the origins of that seat cover are? I don't recall any aftermarket companies offering them and it doesn't have any aftermarket logos on it.

Anyway it's practically useless unfortunately for a restoration project with those rips in it. Pity...
englishman
12/1/2011 3:31pm Edited Date/Time 12/1/2011 3:32pm
englishman wrote:
3M do a Carbon Effect wrap material that looks EXACTLY like carbon fibre. It's very workable and can be manipulated with heat , I've used it...
3M do a Carbon Effect wrap material that looks EXACTLY like carbon fibre. It's very workable and can be manipulated with heat , I've used it to wrap door mirrors, visors, even helmets.

They will send you a swatch book via their website.

AWESOME bikes guys !!!!!
MCfan4life wrote:
Is this the stuff Englishman?

Better late than never I guess ( on my part ) !! yeah that's the stuff.

I saw you wrapped the silencer in it too. If you are going to ride the bike you might find you need to replace it afterward, it isn't designed to withstand too much heat.
Banana_oil
12/2/2011 2:34pm
Speaking of seats, I've always liked the tecnosel seats mainly because of their firm foam but also the stock look of them. I wanted one for my CR but since they are out of business I thought it would be impossible to find NOS cover and foam. But, to my great joy, I found these covers in a store nearby and also a tall seat foam all at a good price. So sweet!

12/3/2011 9:44am
MCfan4life wrote:
[img]http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt171/duc-man97/075-1.jpg[/img] [img]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/230/mccarbonsilencer.jpg[/img] I think we both know who the nut is here 'Daddy' :P All that talk about about carbon and kevlar products was double Dutch...

I think we both know who the nut is here 'Daddy' Tongue

All that talk about about carbon and kevlar products was double Dutch to me Huh so I have added these 2 pics which are the best pics I can find on his silencer.

MC saw it after my first rebuild but it was nowhere near as accurate in detail as this thing is now. I'll send you a PM with my direct email to make it easier to communicate the details of the silencer.

Col
There's a hint in that French caption that is of some relevance if you want an accurate replica. Here's a translation for you:

This superb silencer is not built of carbon fiber. Only the outer shell uses this hi-tech material. It provides additional impact protection to the silencer.
CamP
12/3/2011 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2011 2:05pm
Sheriff245 wrote:
There's a hint in that French caption that is of some relevance if you want an accurate replica. Here's a translation for you: This superb silencer...
There's a hint in that French caption that is of some relevance if you want an accurate replica. Here's a translation for you:

This superb silencer is not built of carbon fiber. Only the outer shell uses this hi-tech material. It provides additional impact protection to the silencer.
I was thinking that the shell looked like carbon wrapped metal in the first pic.
12/3/2011 2:21pm
CamP wrote:
I was thinking that the shell looked like carbon wrapped metal in the first pic.
That's what I think as well. And that's what the French caption seems to be pointing out.

Post a reply to: 1996 CR250 McGrath Replica Rebuild

The Latest